[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you discover new music? I: >go to RYM, check charts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 234x215) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 234x215
How do you discover new music?

I:
>go to RYM, check charts
>go to AllMusic, check similar albums
>check the /mu/ wiki for charts

Also,
>pic unrelated
>>
real critics >>> RYM
>>
I don't
I just listen to the same stuff I always have since I was a teenager and then tell everyone else they have shit taste
>>
>>64048142
>reading reviews
Wew lad
>>
>>64048115
Tall to people in real life
Read reviews
Rym
Mu

In that order
>>
Explore record labels
>>
>>64048164
>taking music seriously
lady ewe
>>
>>64048190
Try harder
>>
>>64048215
what would you have me try to do
>>
blogspots
browsing the arhcive
RYM
music tumblrs
>>
>>64048227
Contribute to the conversation
>>
I go on Discogs and look at the record labels of acts that I like and pick ones to listen to, and I just download stuff that sounds nice in share threads
>>
>think of an artist you like
>find them on Discogs
>see what label(s) they release on
>check out other artists on same label as often similar vibe
>???????????????
>profit
>>
>>64048249
you want me to contribute to your discussion that started with ">reading reviews Wew lad"
>>
>>64048278
Sigh nevermind
>>
>>64048178
>>64048268
>>64048270
these
>>
RYM genre trawling/forum lurking and recommendations from /mu/
>>
>>64048270
>>64048268
>>64048178
Record labels are nice and all, but if you find an artist that's pretty unique and he releases his music on labels like Warner Bros, you're screwed
>>
i like rym lists
and certain youtube channels
>>
>>64048115
>Sharethreads
>BC & SC threads
>Reccomendations from bands I like on BC
>youtube reccs
>Reccs from friends
>The radio (general music and classical radio stations, not top 40 shit)
>>
>>64048302
Yeah, thats rare though in my experience
>>
>>64048178
>>64048270
back to your containment thread
>>>/bleep/
>>
>>64048115
Same 4 me
>>
this
>>64048178
and recommendations from people I know to have good taste. Perhaps most importantly, look up interviews &c w/your favourite artists and look up what they like. Pavement->Can->Stockhausen is a pretty logical progression, 4.e.g.
>>
>>64048566
>look up interviews &c w/your favourite artists and look up what they like
this is my most favorite way of finding new artists
>>
>>64048142
>real critics

L O L
>>
>>64048594
even just finding opinions on rym you trust is much better than using the garbage aggregate scores imo
>>
>>64048115
Sharethreads
blogspots
youtube reccs
some music-relative website
[spoiler]tripfags reccs[/spoiler]
>>
Depending on the genre for jazz I have a few musicians that I love and then when they play with various trios or groups I check out those other members and repeat along with listening to KJAZZ when I'm driving. Other genres it'll be from recs on youtube or from others in the fan base. And finally the occasional interesting /mu/ thread.
>>
Random discoveries:

>Sharethreads

>Intermediatic references (e.g. I read a Lansdale book recently and it was set in Texas in the 50's, they talked about rockabilly stuff and lots of blues players)

When I'm looking for something specific:

>RYM for things I know nothing about

>various music sites

>read interviews of a certain genre's artist and move from there
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.