[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are they the Stone Roses of our generation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Tame-Impala-e1453094663168.jpg (890 KB, 2688x1407) Image search: [Google]
Tame-Impala-e1453094663168.jpg
890 KB, 2688x1407
Are they the Stone Roses of our generation?
>>
No. The Stone Roses were a band based on the technical skill of John Squire, Mani and Reni, and how they could jam while writing poppy songs. There is literally no jamming in a tame impala recording bc you can't jam by yourself.
>>
>>64046346
B T F O
>>
>>64046346
>technical skill
You're setting the bar awfully low if you think jamming off 2 chords or a simple bass vamp requires a great deal of technical skill. At least with the facility The Stone Roses did it with.
>>
>>64046410
Technical skill doesn't just mean playing fast, Squire as a guitarist is on par with Marr in terms of how he plays guitar incredibly melodically. Also i never said a "great deal" of it, I just said that it takes a skill to make the musical connections they did between each other. Listen to I Am the Resurrection senpai.
>>
every time I try to get into Tame Impala I get bored

I thought they are meant to be muh psych gods but its just boring rock music

tracks to change this opinion?
>>
>>64046481
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkp05lmogIM&ab_channel=MatheusBiacchiCorr%C3%AAa
>>
>>64046452
>Technical skill doesn't just mean playing fast
I don't think I said it did.
> how he plays guitar incredibly melodically
He certainly played some very catchy melodies but as a musician, I'd rank him a lot higher for how he played around with timbre in songs.
> the musical connections they did between each other
I think you've more hit the nail on the head there. They were tight as a unit and I've seen them live and they still have that connection but I still wouldn't describe them as being notably technically proficient musicians when measured against the rest of the musical world.
Like, is that what you'd sell the band on if you were telling someone who'd never heard of them to listen to them?
>>
>>64046639
In a way I guess. I'd sell them on their technical skill while staying firmly in the realm of alternative rock. Like, I get that compared to the jazz and classical world they're amateurs, but I'm a firm believer that technical skill depends on what genre you're playing in.
>>
>>64046410
In comparison to tame impala though........
>>
>>64046524
thoroughly meh to me

kept on waiting for something to happen
>>
>>64046723
Oh yeah, in the context they were playing in they were pretty exceptional but on the same sort of idea one could sell My Bloody Valentine as harmonic innovators for the scene they were a part of.
That's not what makes either of those bands special for me though.
>>64046747
On the same note as above, that's not what Kevin does well nor is it what he sets out to do on Tame Impala albums.
I bet he could write a prog rock album with face melting guitar solos if that was what he was into.
>>
no one in this band is as smart as this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f8wAXDZ9D0
>>
>>64046773
Listen to apocalypse dreams and sundown syndrome, it's their two best songs
>>
>>64046277
aren't the stone roses the stone roses of this generation
>>
>>64047732
the stone roses aren't even the best stone roses in the beatles
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.