[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did I fell for the Grimes meme? Literally the only two good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5
File: folder.jpg (183 KB, 600x594) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
183 KB, 600x594
Did I fell for the Grimes meme?

Literally the only two good songs are the video songs, Genesis and Oblivion.
Was expecting something better.
>>
>Literally

will never get over this disgusting trend
>>
>>64045745
>Slang
>Ew
>When will the younguns start using the queen's english?
L I T E R A L L Y such a non-issue
>>
>>64045756
it's not slang, it's not a young person thing and it has nothing to do with the queen's english

it's just a basic misunderstanding of what a word means
>>
>>64045745
>making such a deal from something that unimportant

People talk like that and it's nothing new. Not just on the internet, irl too.
>>
>>64045777
No shit, no shit and no shit.
>>
>>64045745
except in this case the word is used correctly. are you retarded?
>>
>>64045729
symphonia IX and skin are two of the best songs on the album imo
>>
File: 9234802380.jpg (34 KB, 448x336) Image search: [Google]
9234802380.jpg
34 KB, 448x336
>>64045794

Nice demonstration of your thought process.
>>
>>64045729
grimes makes average music
>>
What are your top 3 grimes songs?
>>
>>64045813
Well you pointed out a bunch of things that everyone knows and that nobody disputed.
>>
>>64045795
>except in this case the word is used correctly. are you retarded?

no it wasn't

there is no figurative sense

the word is 100% meaningless in the context that he used it. take the word out and the sentence means the exact same thing
>>
>>64045837
It adds for poethic value in my opinion.
>>
File: GRIMESTV012.jpg (90 KB, 750x937) Image search: [Google]
GRIMESTV012.jpg
90 KB, 750x937
Respect the goddess
>>
File: GRIMES Pitchfork Festival 027.jpg (223 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
GRIMES Pitchfork Festival 027.jpg
223 KB, 1280x720
or you'll suffer
>>
>>64045729
Visions is a grower. Give it more listens.

>>64045815
Nope
>>
>>64046110
would hit that though
She looks a lot to a girl I asked to be my gf and she turned me down
>>
You listened to the wrong album OP. Visions is trash, Art Angels is a 7/10 pop album.
>>
>>64046098
why is she so pure.. her face is drugs
>>
>>64046761
You have the wrong opinion. Visions is at least 9/10.
>>
>>64045774
i was like you once but one day you'll discover literally's amazing power

i say it like every 2 or 3 sentences now
>>
>>64045837
Ya its the one word in the english language that means 'not a figure of speech' and 99% of the time when people use it they mean a figure of speech but like who caressssssss man
>>
>>64046976
>like who caressssssss man

You apparently.
>>
>the whole first part of the album
>Be A Body
>Colour Of Moonlight

I think the record would be better if it was a little shorter, but overall it's still very atmospheric and has great tunes which is 9/10 in my book. I've listened to it around 50 times.

Art Angels—deleted after 3 or 4 listens. Low effort
>>
>>64045729
bb trust me, you gotta give that album another try :^)
Colour of Moonlight, Be a Body and Skin are amazing tracks. u gotta give them another chance.
>>
>>64048043
>Art Angels—deleted after 3 or 4 listens. Low effort
Shame on you
>>
When will the viral marketing/shilling end?
Every time this chick releases something there's aprox 10 threads about her everyday, and newfags still bite the b8

/mu/ got worse than /g/
>>
File: 1455694415960.png (459 KB, 664x605) Image search: [Google]
1455694415960.png
459 KB, 664x605
>>64046110
She's pointing away from us..
>>
>>64048209
You got it wrong. She has many fans. Deal with it.
>>
Let's get to business here for a moment, how good does her butthole smeels?
>>
My favorite two songs are "Vanessa" and "sagrad пpeкpacный". Check 'em out OP!
>>
>>64048150
More like shame on Grimes.

I know Art Angels was in production hell. I know she scrapped a whole album just for the fans. I respect this a lot. But it's still very weak and mostly feels like slightly outdated radio pop. The tunes are mostly OK and maybe even on par with Visions, but the production, the amazing atmosphere are gone.

I feel like people defend Art Angels solely because of Grimes' persona, looks and "queen" status. But I see little left from what I liked on Visions on this album.
>>
>>64048490
AA is a better, more cohesive project than Visions could ever hope to be
>>
>>64048388
It probably smells like honey
>>
>>64048209
> Every time
>Visions—2012
>Art Angels—2015
Getting sick of never-ending flood of releases, do you

Also, surprise: Visions has 80/100 on MetaCritic.
>>
>>64048507
Cohesive—maybe in some areas.

Better—it is just as ridiculously amateurish as its cover.
>>
>>64048490
I actually love AA for real. I have zero problems that it's more pop than before because I like pop. And really, it's still electronic, like Visions.

Grimes scrapped that album made after Visions because it was too depressing and she couldn't tour that. She did AA instead because that was what she wanted to do, not because she sold out.

AA is just the tip of the iceberg. On an interview she said that she has 1TB of unreleased music.
>>
>>64048583
Yeah. Surprise, surprise, Grimes is not a /mu/ meme, but she's actually loved by almost all critics.
>>
>>64045729
>not liking Be a Body
>>
>>64048661
> not because she sold out.
I didn't say that.

I don't care if it's pop or not. I love pop. But AA is poor pop. A lot of it sounds like other songs. For example, the chorus from Realiti sounds very much like that from Ariana Grande's Be My Baby.

Other stuff's sound reminds me of bland radio pop production with some reverb thrown in to sound "indie". Visions sounded like alien ship, AA has none of its pitch-shifting/robot voices/vocal harmonies/echoes and other stuff which made it so mysterious, dark, and more importantly, interesting.

It's all just Grimes singing her so-so songs now.
>>
>>64048828
>not liking Nightmusic
>not liking Circumambient
>not liking Symphonia IX
>>
>>64048273
So does Beyonce, an I dont see a new thread about her every hour

>>64048583
You clearly were not here in 2012/13 and yeah, she's popular and gets praised by critics, like many other artists

Her main demographic is tumblr-feminists and waifu-fags, and guess where you can find the second group
>>
>>64048863
>I didn't say that.
You implied that.

>For example, the chorus from Realiti sounds very much like that from Ariana Grande's Be My Baby.
I don't hear that similarity. Art Angels doesn't sound like anything from the charts.

Out of curiosity, what kind of music do you usually listen to?
>>
>>64048490
I don't understand how she managed to scrap the album because the fans didn't like the direction she was taking and still went in that direction
>>
>>64048889
>So does Beyonce, an I dont see a new thread about her every hour
Because there's nothing to say about her. She's everywhere on the net, too common, nothing special.

>Her main demographic is tumblr-feminists and waifu-fags, and guess where you can find the second group
Bollocks. You're talking out of your ass. Her main demographic consists of electropop fans.
>>
>>64048910
Because that album was too grim, and she wanted to tour upbeat songs.
>>
>>64048965
Upbeat is fine. She did upbeat well with Genesis and Oblivion. AA's idea of upbeat was almost off putting except for Flesh Without Blood
>>
>>64048944
Sia was a better example than Beyonce, miss out on that one

>electropop fans
If you mean synthfags, she uses a fucking GAIA for gods sake, one of the worst/gimmickier synths ever made, so no, synth nerds dislike her. She's no Lauren Halo or Fever Ray
If you mean classic electropop fans (you know, the ones that own more than one DM/erasure album), they either moved on to EBM or are to busy sucking dicks. Unless there latinos, in that case there listening to some cumbia version of "enjoy the silence"
>>
>>64049146
Your whole post is a load of shit.
>>
>>64049146
You're confusing electropop fans with the synth fans. They're not the same. One group like the music made by synths, the other one the synths themselves.

Also you're assuming that synthpop existed only in the fucking 80s. Since then lots of artists like Cut Copy, The Knife, Goldfrapp, M83, Crystal Castles, La Roux, Chvrches, John Maus, Purity Ring, Chairlift, Susanne Sundfor, Xeno & Oaklander, Chromatics, Computer Magic, Royksopp, appeared. Grimes appeals to fans of those bands.
>>
>>64049146
>she uses a fucking GAIA for gods sake
literally only autists care about that shit, as long as it sounds good who cares?
>>
>>64050958
then why none of those artists get 5-6 daily threads about them?
also, half of them either dont exist anymore or stopped being relevant in 2012
>>
>>64052528
>then why none of those artists get 5-6 daily threads about them?
Because they don't inspire the same admiration as Grimes, being too normal. She's not just a musician and producer, but also a quirky person. She's intriguing, plain and simple.

>also, half of them either dont exist anymore or stopped being relevant in 2012
So what? People are still listening to their music. Electropop isn't dead yet.
>>
Halfaxa, visions, and art angels are all pretty good imo, I see myself listening to everything grimes releases for the rest of my life
>>
>>64045729
Heard Visions over 50 times and still hated it every time.

But on my 22nd listen of Art Angel it finally hit me, and I love that one a lot.
>>
>>64053443
>Heard Visions over 50 times and still hated it every time.
I just don't believe you. Nobody listens that much to an album that he hates. You didn't even listen to Visions even 2 times.
>>
>>64052754
>People are still listening to their music.
Eh not really
>Electropop isn't dead yet.
Very true, but you didn't even include Empress Of, Mitski, Christine and the Queens, shit people are actually listening to because it doesn't sound so 2012.
>>
>>64052528
Because they're not waifu material? Let's face it, if Claire Boucher was almost 30, didn't dye her hair every week and looked like Laurel Halo, no one would meme her as hard. Also, she'd only get shamed for her quirks.

Her potential popularity is multiplied tenfold by her looks.
>>
>>64053508
Nope I do, I plan on listening to it more.
I had to listen to James Blake s/t over 70 times before I finally got that. This isn't one day after another that album's been out for years.
>>
>>64053529
>Very true, but you didn't even include Empress Of, Mitski, Christine and the Queens, shit people are actually listening to because it doesn't sound so 2012.
These artists are nobodies. Empress Of has under 20K followers on Facebook. In the grand scheme of things, she doesn't count.

The electropop artists mentioned by me there >>64050958 are those that people actually listen to, not your obscurities.
>>
>>64053555
Grimes, waifu material? I've never seen such hate against someone's appearance that the /mu/'s opinions about her look. She has been called goblin, shrek, neanderthal, and many other ugly words. A lot of hateful comments, not just isolated ones.
>>
>>64053747
> There's Grimes pics thread on /mu/ every day
> Posted on /waifu/ general every day
> several threads every day about how cute Grimes is

Are you kidding?
>>
>>64053747
>She has been called goblin, shrek, neanderthal, and many other ugly words.

She gets called waifu more than any of those other words.
>>
>>64053747
who gives a fuck honestly
>>
>>64053894
Really

Or is this another meme like right-wing AnCo
>>
>>64053925
Of course, her fans
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.