[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats /mu/ opinion on Marilyn Manson?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: download (3).jpg (4 KB, 134x116) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
4 KB, 134x116
Whats /mu/ opinion on Marilyn Manson?
>>
love the trilogy, like portrait, largely indifferent to the rest
>>
Non talent novelty act.
>>
bumping
I'm on the side of born villain and pale emperor as they're more reflections of experience rather than story driven
>>
never listened to him. Should I just start with the trilogy?
>>
File: justo.jpg (75 KB, 634x680) Image search: [Google]
justo.jpg
75 KB, 634x680
The Dark Priest of rock and roll.

Nuff said.
>>
I never listened to him when I was a kid. Now Rammstein that was my shit.
>>
>>64044240
I'd go chronological order
It's pretty fascinating seeing the shit change over time.
for some context, Columbine happened between mechanical animals and Holy Wood. After Golden Age of Grotesque he was done with music and just wanted to paint, until his manager shoved him into a hotel to start writing again because contractual obligations, hence the long gap between albums.
>>
File: The Pale Emperor.jpg (70 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
The Pale Emperor.jpg
70 KB, 720x960
Nachtkabarett.com
>this domain name has expired
>>
>>64044377
interesting, from what ive read the high side of low. bornvillian and the pale emperor are some of his best
>>
Stop making these fucking threads.
>>
>>64044355
>Now Rammstein that was my shit.

Only patrician ITT.
>>
>>64044601
>rammstein
>patrician

it's just more mallgothcore.
>>
>>64044387
About fucking time.

>>64043915
First album and even early demos are fun, second album is cool if you're in middle school or high school, and is only minimally interesting if your taste expands subsequently, third album is a legitimately good set of 70s Bowie impressions. Everything after that is tryhard, edgy, proto-fedoracore, and loudly shitty on the musical side.

There will always be better concept driven albums and artists (Whitehouse's albums from the 90s on), groups with more "shock" in lyrics, image, and music (GG Allin, Brainbombs), and so on and so forth. Boring as shit, taken as a whole.
>>
>>64044576
Bornvillian sucked, so did high end of low. There's some good tracks on them, but they're amongst his weakest albums. I've heard good stuff about pale emperor though, I haven't personally listened to it.

Antichrist super star and mechanical animals are the only albums of his I'd say are good. Holy Wood is fun, but it has a few songs that are crappy, and the rest of his albums only have a couple good songs each really.
>>
File: Geico.jpg (105 KB, 598x599) Image search: [Google]
Geico.jpg
105 KB, 598x599
>>64044576
They are very different from his earlier records, the trilogy is more about observations of other people, society and such, american culture in general and it's obsession with fame, violence and death, it's very tongue in cheek and humorous. Golden Age of Grotesque is like a love/hate-letter to the music industry and his fans, then after that all the records, like those you've listed have been about observations of what's going on inside and within himself. They're about relationships and emotions, much more personal. I just didn't dig it as much and haven't really seen someone else who does, but whatever floats...

High End of Low is to me a clusterfuck of different sounds and feels like it was hastily put together without much thought behind it. Some tracks stand out but it feels like it has a lot of filler. Judging by interviews that's sort of what happened. He was an emotional wreck at the time and pretty much said "it's what we played so that's what we recorded, why question it?"

Born Villain was the record made when he was first free from a label, to me it was a bit hit and miss, conceptually(it's sort of an identity thing, If life is a stage and we are all actors, who is my character and who is me?) more interesting than THEOL, but far from his earlier work.

Pale Emperor got kinda interesting again, he's (cautiously) experimenting with other sounds and I'm curious what it will lead to next, but I don't think anything will ever top The Mechanical Superstar.
>>
Boring.
>>
>>64044700
>Betacuck detected
listen to your marilyn you screechy faggot
>>64044355
>>64044601
Till and Rammstein are alpha as fuck.
>>
>>64046438
>more
>>
was kinda interesting culturally, not very much so musically
>>
File: 1458529352759.jpg (86 KB, 442x650) Image search: [Google]
1458529352759.jpg
86 KB, 442x650
>>64043915
I liked Portrait, The golden age, the trilogy and the pale emperor.

>>64044355
>>64044601
>>64046438
>tfw no new album
>>
>>64043915
This album is fuck A+
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.