[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we save rock pt 3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23
File: SY.jpg (183 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
SY.jpg
183 KB, 1920x1080
Continuing from >>64033723
>>
>>64040069
Get another Sonic Youth who don't want to be a mainstream band but don't try to be too indy?
>>
I'm working on a band. Sort of like a Downtempo Post Rock Funk Psychedelic Folk Pop band. I haven't made any songs yet but after I learn an instrument that's I plan to do.
>>
>>64040069
Just gonna leave this here:

>the only way I see it making a come back is if there is a MASSIVE cultural change. like maybe once smart houses really take off and we start living in 1984 I can see kids going back to analog shit and obviously going back to actual rock again but I doubt the meme world we live in now will allow it.
>>
>>64039495
Sabbath are one of the few classic rock acts that's stayed pretty relevant and they've never been not cool. Their finale tour is a pretty big deal while I don't think if Foreigner announced a final tour, it would get too many headlines.
>>
>>64040101
>let's start another revival but for real this time
>let's start a band similar to irrelevant heroes of the past but in a modern context
No, just fucking no.
>>
If anybody on here will help me then I could try. Just no p4k drones.

Also don't forget that when you make music, don't label it until later.

And when you listen to music you like, don't label it at all. Just take it as you do.
>>
taking back sunday will save rock
>>
>>64040204
they're already saved
>>
the garage rock/punk movement (ty segall, bass drum of death, meatbodies) have a lot of potential to save the genre

I hope to start a band in the same vein soon if I can find the right dudes
>>
>>64040201
>p4k
What does it mean to be anti pitchfork?
like what do they really like?
>>
I ask again, from what?
>>
Like the guy said in the last thread, Gen Xer angst is pretty outdated and, like, Alice In Chains wouldn't fly today at all.
>>
>>64040165
They have an obviously pretty unique status as the founding fathers of metal while Foreigner have no respect, no cred, no relevance, nothing. They were nobody when they were somebody.
>>
>>64040231
>the garage rock/punk movement
I think "the next thing" will be more elitist, distant and arrogant, and these things will be essential if the next thing wants to be brutally honest and relevant
>>
>>64040236
basically what I'm saying is that if anybody forms their basis of what is "good" music based off of pre-existing norms/factors of what constitutes "good" music then not enough innovation will be created (in my post I was specifically referring to people that do this with p4k-type opinions just since that's something I specifically wish to avoid).
>>
https://youtube.com/watch?v=jCSyiTImUWw
>>
>>64040310
I think that's very true, there just needs to be something to ignite this. Until that can happen then nothing will happen.
>>
>>64040069
It's scary how much Kurt Cobain stole his look from Thurston Moore.
>>
>>64040289
Sabbath was like that once guy in high school who was really weird but still got a ton of girls and went on a lot of cool adventures so even as grampa he has plenty of cool stories to tell and a lot of people still wanna be like him

Epic arena beer bro rock and southern shit is like the chad who got laid like crazy back in HS but once everyone realized he is a worthless human being they just forgot about him
>>
>>64040356
This Sabbath is fucken timeless.
>>
>>64040326
I'm just asking why people have such a problem with them? I like a few of the bands they promote, but everyone in the last thread said they are terrible
>>
what is this new meme
dadrock general or something
>>
>>64040410
yeah normies who only listen to "reel shit lik cheef keif" are still triggered by them.
>>
>>64040289
>>64040165
I think there's a distinction in that metal still exists and is being consumed by today's kids and there's young, active metal bands. It's a still living form of music whereas the Rolling Stones' and Van Halen's kind of music is not. So that's one reason Sabbath have retained a relevance that most of their peers didn't.

Prog bands and country rock like REO Speedwagon? Goddamn, are those bands dinosaur rock in every sense of the word.
>>
Someone needs to emulate Cheap Trick. Be a straight forward loud rock band with heart melting pop songs that doesnt take themselves seriously. Make fun of the rockist image of the modern day. Get big in Japan, get cult following from being amazing live.

Nirvana is the closest thing we've had to this, but they took themselves way too seriously.
>>
>>64040486
>Prog bands and country rock like REO Speedwagon? Goddamn, are those bands dinosaur rock in every sense of the word

Eh, Pink Floyd are still kind of relevant. Almost all of their contemporaries like Yes and ELP are absolutely not relevant anymore.
>>
GG Allin was right. The soul of rock was its rebelliousness and allure of danger - nowadays, rock is seen as boring indie bullshit for hipsters. We need a band that will scare the shit out of the mainstream media yet avoid the praise of lower-mainstream websites like P4K (lest it becomes a meme like Death Grips).

I don't mean Gerogerigegege levels of transgressive, but something violent and explosive without being laughably over the top like punk and metal are often considered. I'm not creative enough to tell you how this is done, but that'll get young people away from what is currently alluring to the rebellious youth: hip hop.
>>
>>64040547
>Pink Floyd
the first band people think of when smoking pot? real surprise they are still relevant

but what about Chicago? Boston? nobody gives a fuck about them.
>>
>>64040547
Pink Floyd are only still relevant because they had a cool logo and Yes didn't.
>>
>>64040589
Marilyn Manson was the last rocker to really scare parents.
>>
>>64040348
and noone could say in 1983 that being grim and frostbitten in some northetrn shithole, recording crap demos, and burning freaking churches will be the next dangerous thing. Seriously, noone would see this in '83. People would be ,"like, for real, man?" if you told them this.
>>
>>64040127
underrated post
>>
>>64040589
None of that can work anymore because the term edgy stamps out anything dangerous.
It's like people forgot the real definition:https://www.google.com/search?q=daria+edgy&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
>>
>>64040589
I could see that happening. You dress like some dreadlocked hippies that wear street fashion, sing about killing trannies, sjw hypocrites, religious hypocrisy. You play like a mix of Nu Metal and Indie Rock with a hit of EDM.
>>
>>64040486
REO Speedwagon were mentioned in these threads a few times. They were a big part of the 70s country rock fad along with the Eagles, Lynyrd Skynrd, and Doobie Brothers. Also Aerosmith to an extent. Those bands were a big influence on country music but in of themselves they didn't outlast the 70s (unless you count Aerosmith using professional song doctors to churn out sugar coated Top 40 ballads).
>>
>>64040592
>but what about Chicago? Boston? nobody gives a fuck about them.

I'm not sure anyone took them seriously in the 70s, let alone now.
>>
>>64040589
So if an artist or band started making the Dylan Klebold and attitude look fashionable they would have a shot?
>>
File: Naamloos-2.png (138 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Naamloos-2.png
138 KB, 350x350
>>64040796
Sure they if they targeted a high school demographic
>>
It needs to change to reflect this era. Rock sounds outdated because, in terms of themes, it still feels like we're trying to sing about living in the 90s. But that's not the case anymore. We have changed a lot as a result of social media.

I think we need a band that capitalizes on some modern day issues without becoming so political that it's alienating.
>>
Let me find my old soundcloud I swear this shit will change music.
>>
It does seem that modern country has taken over the niche that the Stones and Lynyrd Skynyrd filled in the 70s.
>>
Idk, what's even the difference between rock and metal anymore at this point? You have really heavy bands like Mastodon claiming to be rock bands and shit now, I don't know what the difference is.

Kids growing up have too much at their disposal now to truly get invested in playing music IMO.
>>
Rock didn't go anywhere, it just went underground again.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6F2WG5bos8c
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aEmJFOq-t2A
http://youtube.com/watch?v=a2_BkND95BY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sRm7OS258DU
>>
this shit is not worth of 3 threads, rock is dead. The only way for it to come back is to be innovative, not recycling the same sounds over and over. The only way to progress is for it to have a more electronic sound, just like radiohead or death grips in jenny death
>le meme grips xD
>>
>>64040414
I wasn't in the last thread so I can't speak for that

But the problem with p4k is that it's creating a narrative, and it's narrative is favoring specific things and writing off other things as being good/bad/relevant/irrelevant. Of course that's just how a music publication works, but they are doing it to a degree outside of actual interpretation of the music and moreso in a way that is what is expected from their own past/their audience (for lack of better words) rather than in a way that is a real interpretation and analysis of the things they cover. Plus the further presence of countless websites and meme cultures confound this, giving pitchfork a louder voice than what some music publication/journalism would have done in the past. And the absolute worst thing about all of this is that p4k seems to be completely aware of this and is using this to their advantage, having redundant articles on the next clickbait-tier social justice trend, which keeps their entire constructed image and intended audience satisfied. They are manipulating the system to push their own agenda, but they are too dumb to realize that the agenda their pushing is an artificially created agenda that was pushed onto them.

Really though the thing to take out of this is that the fact that they are creating a narrative for the happenings in music is something that will cause people to adapt this narrative to themselves and to construct this narrative to fit with their own opinions. People, especially now, like to like the right things (the things that any individual will interpret to be what is "right"), and when pitchfork is saying what they say in the medium that they possess then this is something that has so much more power. And what they say is not good for music as an art, which is what I'd like to think is what this thread respects music as being (whatever word choice that would be).

Screencap this for when in 15 years all p4kcore stuff are hailed as classics for modern music.
>>
>>64040846
Modern day issues? I wish I could could up with this stuff but I can't. If I made lyrics I'd try to tell a story with my lyrics. That would be more interesting to me.
>>
>>64040870
metal is rock, most rock is not metal
>>
>>64040883
I mean they do have a "real" interpretation, I just meant that it isn't as genuine as it could/should be.
>>
>>64040912
Would you say this is rock? Because if it's ever going to make a resurgence, I think it's going to sound like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE9fIxDOE_A
>>
>>64040796
but you'd be famous for backlash, not for music.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (55 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
55 KB, 512x512
What we need is a modern grateful dead
Maybe not an americana hippie folk rock band but a band that gets people into going on adventures and exploring and being apathetic of any sort of man made boundry. that is a message I think would appeal to the newfags
>>
>>64040857
If you understand a little bit about the music of that time, actual country music in the 70s was mostly quite bleak and depressing. "I'm drinking my life away in a redneck bar in a redneck county and my wife cheated on me and my dog died."

Anyway, there were a lot of rednecks who wanted to have a good time rather than mope around which is where these guys like Lynyrd Skynyrd and Molly Hatchet came in. By the time you get to the 90s, a new generation of country singers influenced by those guys had come up and you see fun-oriented beer-and-girls types like Toby Keith emerge.
>>
How hard is it to learn to play guitar and find people for a very specific experiment? I've been mulling over an idea since I was 16 (five years ago) and I've always wanted to try and put it to use, but I don't really know where to start, as I could never afford music lessons or an instrument until now.
>>
>>64040953
I could do this. I play keyboard and my brother plays acoustic guitar and electric. And we play a psychedelic folk sound with lyrics that tell a real story. I'm gonna have to work on my storytelling skills.
>>
>>64040953
ANCO!
>>
The problem is that all of the rebellions have become the establishment. Look at punk, it started as "we'll do what we want without care for any ideology” but then they came up with their own ideology, and it became “we'll do what we want without care for any ideology we don't follow,” which is fine when the ideologies in power aren't the ideologies you follow, because then it still effectively equates with the first statement, but if your ideology becomes the establishment, your new rule is taken to its logical conclusion and becomes “we/you'll do what you want unless it goes against OUR ideology.” >>64040740 is thinking in the right direction, we need people crossdressing like David Bowie and wearing nazi uniforms like the early punk bands while singing about murdering trannies and niggers without going full /pol/ and turning that into a serious ideology of its own. The transgressiveness has to stay transgressiveness for transgressiveness' sake, punk went sour because it became transgressiveness for a cause's sake
>>
>>64041000
Took me about a year until I was somewhat decent at guitar. But I'm self taught, I assume if you get lessons you'll be much better after a year than I was. Finding band members is the biggest hassle in the world because it's not even just about people who can play. You have to find decent people in general which is kind of hard.
>>
>>64040948
jeez, all metal is rock music, unless you write six voice fugues for electric guitars
>>
>>64040883
this is partially right but it's got more to do with the leftist hipster mega pandering they do.
They only respect music for the most part that for one isn't focused on creativity or technical ability but for "expresiveness" but not just any idea only specific little ones they agree with.
I like Death Grips but they only talk about one thing "Drugs make me want to die"
and the same is EVERYTHING else they bump. (along any nigger rapper so long as hey don't get called racist)
>>
Dark images, bad words, provocativeness and loudness don't scare people anymore, it's the norm.

Anti left music will just be dismissed like those racist hick rap acts, it's not the way to go.

I feel like the only way to override the degenerate style of music is by being the complete opposite, a squeaky clean bubblegum act doing songs like REM's Shiny Happy People or Queen's Bicycle Race.
>>
>>64040148
Who said that?

Because that fits.
>>
>>64040870
Metal is a subgenre.
>>
>>64040353
Long hair and t shirt? Kurt was very much influenced by his home (flannel, sweaters) and that's what he's known for.
>>
>>64041010
That might be their message but it' fallen on deaf ears most of their fans are "epic memers" and /mu/ fags.
>>
>>64041090
no idea but I agree, it's true This will probably happen
>>
>>64040310
This.

It's something which indie is not. It has ego, but heart in the right place.
>>
The most important thing about music being popular with young people is that their parents hate it. There will always be universally liked pop music like Michael Jackson and T. Swift, yes, but things like Halsey and most hip-hop are only going to appeal to the younger generation, as their parents are gonna hate it.

Pretty much every parent loves rock music. So it'll be a few decades before rock music is cool to like again.
>>
>>64041000
What's the idea? I can help you make it materialize.
>>
>>64041090
>>64041133
explain
>>
>>64040457
People started to realise last thread that EDM has problems socially and "indie" is too timid and outspoken to speak up.
>>
>>64041146
Neither of my parents are big rockfags. My mom as a teenager was much more into 60s Motown R&B and my dad mostly liked blues and classical.
>>
>>64040069
I think we need to have some kind of noise rock revival thing but with the kind of pop songwriting thing that got nirvana huge
>>
>>64041000
It's hard. I never truly learned how to play guitar and I just lost interest and I never learned how to play. I switched to keyboard instead. Still learning
>>
>>64040589
>We need a band that will scare the shit out of the mainstream media yet avoid the praise of lower-mainstream websites like P4K (lest it becomes a meme like Death Grips).
Easy.

Anti-PC band would do that easily. In this climate anything not PC is almost triggerworthy.
>>
>>64041176
It's like the 20th to last post in the last thread.
>>
>>64041196
Your parents sound like niggers. My mom grew up on The Whoe and Led Zeppelin and my dad grew up on Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden.
>>
File: 1432628675183.jpg (19 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1432628675183.jpg
19 KB, 400x300
now this is something that is tickling my nerves. Is there people in this thread that really believes they're going to save rock music? Let me tell you, why don't you FUCK OFF. You won't save SHIT if your idea of composing is 'i have to save rock'. Rock is dead because it's not a profitable genre in music bussines. It used to be but every thing that is made for the money can be easily changed and that's what happened in this case
>>
>>64041242
His parents sound better than yours lol
>>
File: 1456719718398.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1456719718398.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
>>64041229
What is PC?
>>
>>64040833
heheh
>>
>>64041237
no explain what it means I don't get it. it got ignored in the last thread because nobody really knew what to make of it.
>>
>>64041242
They're white as the driven snow. But they're nerds and not the Harley-riding cousin fuckers you have for parents.
>>
>>64040953
>What we need is a modern grateful dead
That's the last thing we need.

Boring psych rock. Psych rock needs to keep people on their toes. Not put them to sleep.
>>
>>64041260
nigger rappers and mall metal are gonna be "that thing that makes money" forever if someone doesn't try
>>
>>64041338
Hi remember that old thing called reading the whole post? please come back after doing that.
>>
>>64041196
>My mom as a teenager was much more into 60s Motown R&B

She does like some Rolling Stones but only the Brian Jones-era stuff.
>>
Why does rock need to be angsty and loud guitar music? People are tired of it. I'd like something more like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M4VD_9qABU
>>
>>64041038
>The problem is that all of the rebellions have become the establishment.
If this is inevitable, then we need a cause that will do well for society.
>The transgressiveness has to stay transgressiveness for transgressiveness' sake, punk went sour because it became transgressiveness for a cause's sake
If the reaction was poor to this, this could be good.
>>
>>64041084
>Anti left music will just be dismissed like those racist hick rap acts, it's not the way to go.
Fuck off mate. That's total crap.

It needs to be open, honest and moral. That scares people today. Being moral..

Only a true badass would go on stage and condemn the left.
>>
>>64041392
and a lot of us are bored of melancholy pop that still sounds like it's from 2001
>>
>>64041264
I'm glad for it too because I really would hate having a dad who's one of those stereotype muscle car-worshiping boomers who listens to Cream on repeat. Those guys are absolute cancer.
>>
>>64041437
>honest and moral.
pick one, silly billy
>>
>>64041277
It mainly got ignored cause the bump limit was reached, but anyway, what he's basically saying is that rock music will feel revolutionary again when more "primitive" sounds are necessary to start clashing with the everyday life of an overly digitized society.

It's when we need to hear the primal smashing of stones in an age that's over saturated with sterile computer bloops.
>>
>>64040069
There's been a dramatic decline in Satan worship in today's youth.

You can't have a decent rock band without the man who started it all...
>>
>>64041452
>Cream
Nigga...
>>
>>64041477
yeah, since the god is no more the satan is a sad doomed creature
>>
Rock just isn't fun to listen to. When I listen to it I can appreciate it for what it is but it doesn't get me hyped. Tame Impala was playing when I was at lollapalooza last year and everyone was just sitting down chilling. Compared to the EDM stage where everyone was going crazy even for literal nobodies it was just boring.

Rock was big in the 70s and 80s because it was controversial, loud, and in your face. Now it seems incredibly tame in comparison to rap and EDM and I really don't see a place for it in current year.
>>
>>64040165
Uh?

From like 1983 until their first big reunion, so like 20 year span, they were fucking terrible and had a rotating cast of a band.
>>
>>64041438
I don't know what kind of bands those describe. I personally think there's a lot of potential if you mix guitars with electronic instruments or keyboards. Guitars are important but there has to be more dynamics than that.
>>
>>64041269
Political Correctness.

You know, the thing lefties will shove down your throat until you submit.
>>
>>64041497
Like said in the last thread, Tame Impala are just boring and have no edge. I bet they don't perform in the nude, light guitars on fire, or tell girls in the audience to show their tits.
>>
>>64041496
Yeah, it's all a bunch of crappy post-Satan bands these days.
>>
>>64041392
Crap.

Bored.

Needs to be impala based like last thread mentioned, only more driven and energetic.

Less watching the world pass by, more standing in the way of the world.
>>
>>64041474
yeah I can see that. Technology has always had a hold in music but once it monopolizes it nobody will like it anymore
>>
>>64041497
Rap and EDM are generally about having fun. Maybe when Trump gets elected people will start to question their futile ways and a new trend will emerge.
>>
>>64041461
I pick both. Retard.

I bet you have coloured hair.
>>
>>64040236
my personal term for the kind of music I see getting shilled there a lot is "Xanax prog"
>>
A huge part of rock not being as prevalent also has to do with monetary issues. You can pirate software to make your hiphop, dubstep, house etc and it'll be "good enough" without even spending cash on physical devices. The entry barrier is much higher and those that do have the cash for all the guitars and amps etc don't even devote themselves fully. I've had 2 girlfriends with guitars that just have a guitar because it's a phase they were going through. they might as well spend money on a ukulele.
>>
>>64041537
I just listened to a song for the first time. It sounds like some fruity R and B singer. This is the kind of stuff that's embarrassing to listen to.
>>
>>64041573
no they will type "xD" after shitty jokes about it on cuckerberg then go back to being faggots.
>>
>>64041518
>You know, the thing lefties will shove down your throat until you submit.
as good as shoving down your throat some utterly irrelevant traditions
>people are so fucking pithecanthropus that they still believe in left vs right bullshit
>>
>>64041579
Go and watch the video of Woodstock '99. That was the last days of when rock was still edgy and badass.
>>
>>64040740
That sounds laughably awful on every conceivable level.
>>
>>64041392
This is all of the bad things about the cure with none of the good things about the cure
>>
>>64041579
Only if you're an insecure bitch.
>>
>>64041599
>people are so fucking pithecanthropus that they still believe in left vs right bullshit
It's literally enforced.

I disagree with it too. But that's the problem, this is ingrained.
>>
>>64041511
>I personally think there's a lot of potential if you mix guitars with electronic instruments or keyboards
I think this is the sort of thing that's needed. Common Dreads-era Enter Shikari was the kind of mix between EDM and angry punk that I think could bring rock back if enough bands developed a scene, tracks like Zzzonked that rely just as much on distorted wobble bass as guitars for their agression I think could be the answer. Take all the loudest and hypest part of rock and EDM and throw them together while avoiding the relegation to a very tightly-defined and extremely era-specific sound like what ended up happening to rap rock. Too bad Shikari became too obsessed with wanking off over their trite liberal politics and Neil DeGrasse Tyson documentary fedora shit to be a candidate for meaningful revival.
>>
>rock
>dead

im sorry but what is Arctic Monkeys? The Strokes?
>>
>>64041651
>im sorry but what is Arctic Monkeys? The Strokes?
Idk I'm not a teenage cunt from the 2000s
>>
>tfw the metal shows i go to are wild as fuck but super inclusive
>the genre is already hugely standoffish

Doesn't help that anyone that decides to make money gets shit on by rock fans. A genre that killed itself imposing a false set of "realness" on everyone. Also a reason a reason for the rise of poptimism.
>>
>>64041601
Yeah, shitty woodstock 99 bands like Korn, Limp Bizkit and Godsmack are what killed rock
>>
>>64041670
I think rap needs more people slamming these billionare kike shills like JayZ
CLayou Ventura did it but he was also and uncle tom so he got floundered.
>>
>>64041667
They are excelent bands and their sound is amazing, if they are not the new flags of rock then you are not looking at the right direction
>>
>>64041701
Nah bro what killed rock was the tight pants wearing emo shits like Taking Back Sunday and Fallout Boy.
>>
>>64041574
I have no hair since I shave my head.
>I pick both
you can not, because morals means mechanical repetition of actions based on notions of society (people who are around you). True honesty comes from your very essence and have nothing to do with the others. Every time you are honest, you are unique. "Morals" is but a bleak distortied memory of past acts of truth. The cunning hide their impotence behind the morals.
>>
>>64041735
if any subgenre killed it it was obviously mall metal cuckcore like FFDP and Trivium
>>
File: IMG_7180.jpg (831 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7180.jpg
831 KB, 3264x2448
https://soundcloud.com/vformania
heres my attempt at saving rock. im a khv, so take it easy on me bros <3
>>
>>64041783
God I hate FFDP and especially their fans. I want to give a five-finger death punch to all the cunts posting about liking FFDP on facebook like it makes them hardcore.
>>
>>64041788
See this is why nobody likes rock anymore. This singer sounds GAY.
>>
File: spring.jpg (122 KB, 858x570) Image search: [Google]
spring.jpg
122 KB, 858x570
Know why this guy got so big? Because in a time of dull, corporate music, he was a breath of fresh air. It was just old fashioned rock and roll with solid songwriting.

Maybe that's what should happen. People will get sick of electronic influenced music (Tame Impala) and just go back to digging solidly written rock n roll that isn't "indie" made by weak skinny people with clean guitars and too much reverb.
>>
>>64041811
oh yea whats a band you prefer then?
>>
>>64041788
>indie
try again
>>
>>64041837
not indie in the slightest.
>>
>>64041824
maybe that's part of the problem... current generation doesn't appreciate the boss enough...
>>
>>64041824
He was basically the Coldplay of the 70's. He just played boring and bland arena pop rock.
>>
>>64041852
No... it's pretty much straight forward indie rock
>>
Stop thinking that just because no bands sound like generic 70s garbage and that rock isn't the dominant musical genre anymore that rock is dead.
>>
>>64041883
you don't know anything about music lol
>>
>>64041887
But most the "rock" bands these days are just copying generic 70's garbage.
>>
Here's the thing. People are thinking awfully lot about how to reinvent the wheel but instead of overthinking it you need to let it come to you naturally imo.
>>
>>64041882
unlike coldplay he was a pretty great lyricist though
>>64041908
your band is bland, being a khv has nothing to do with it get over it
>>
>>64041925
this, the reinvention of rock really won't come from being strategized, you have to just be yourself and you have to be an original character.
>>
>>64041908
Look at it this way, you have three different people on a music forum telling you your band makes shitty, bland indy rock.

You can either

>insist it isn't bland, indy rock and throw insults at us in a sad attempt to convince us other wise

or

>admit you're making shitty, bland indy rock and hopefully start making something better

the choice is yours and I don't really care which you choose
>>
>>64041887
hi pitchcuck I agree! AJJ and Tame Impala are god tier fuck all that old people shit xD
>>
File: 1459981509764.jpg (477 KB, 973x742) Image search: [Google]
1459981509764.jpg
477 KB, 973x742
Kids like Hip-Hop not only because it's rebellious, but because it has "Rock Stars" and not dumpy depressed losers like Kurt Cobain or indie faggots.

>>64040589
>>64041229

Holy shit

I've figured it all out

The rock genre that will revive rock and roll as the rebellious anti-establishment non-socially-acceptable non-PC and defying ALL the rules while still basking in the type of confidence and ego that kids love

I dub the new genre TRUMP ROCK
>>
>>64042005
but is emperor Trumpo gets elected the PC problem will be fixed and nobody will need to backlash it culturally
>>
>>64042004
You using those examples says more about you than it does me.
>>
>>64041925
Music can't go forward unless you reinvent the wheel and do something new and different. Everything's been done though so there's not much to come naturally anymore.
>>
>>64042005
Because it's catchy to listen to and it has good production. Kids don't care about good hip hop .They like Pop Hop like Drake.
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 640x439) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 640x439
I don't know if you guys are into akimbo or not but they are a fantastic "contemporary" band even tho they v broke up in like 2010. It's like everything I like at once.

City of the stars is my favorite thing ever made involving guitars. It blows my mind how good it is
>>
>>64042002
1. youre jealous i actually make music and am not just some poser who posts on forums all day about the past
2. many people on this forum before actually follow me and like my songs
3. this forum is full of faggot posers who only like bands to associate themselves with the vintage pictures of said bands in their heyday.

nice try bud, im not offended
>>
>>64042069
I'd link songs but I don't know how to do that on my phone
>>
>>64042050
yeah, hip hop has more or less gone the way of rock...

people like Chuck D and Rakim have been replaced by people like Drake and Lil Wayne
>>
>>64041882
>He was basically the Coldplay of the 70's. He just played boring and bland arena pop rock.
Coldplay isn't liked by critics and most of their work is mellow. Bruce Springsteen is literally their opposite -- adored by critics and he has a huge sound.

I understand what you're trying to say, but too many people on /mu/ or the current generation in general think of Springsteen as "dadrock" and dismiss it. You're forgetting that out of true "boring and bland arena pop rock," which includes bands like Foreigner, Journey, REO Speedwagon etc, Springsteen's sound was actually fresh and his lyrical themes resonated with common people.
>>
>>64042083
nice to hear you like to add a healthy dose of homophobia to your shitty indy rock
>>
Does "saving rock" mean that a band has to be really famous like the white stripes or something

It's really obvious to anybody who actually listens to and enjoys rock music that the amount of good albums and shows at your disposal has only gotten more plentiful over the decades.

>name some overarching classic like led zeppelin 4
I don't have to because that shit doesn't emerge until decades later, in retrospect. All I know is that more good rock comes out every year than I can possibly keep up with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaawpYedXmg
>>
>>64041882
I'm not a Springsteen fan but you're retarded if you think he sounds anything like Coldplay.
>>
>>64042107
lol youve yet to name a band you like, faggot
go ahead, im waiting
>>
>>64042127
I like this indy rock band called V For Mania... it's good, chill music kind of like the Pixies meets Radiohead but with a little ramones thrown in
>>
>>64042088
>>64042050

I was just thinking that too

Hip Hop is becoming way too safe and dull and interlinked with female-oriented pop divas

What do kids listen to today when they want to be "counter-culture" and not top 40/radio?
>>
>>64042114
this is p good
>>
File: MikeLoveFormula.png (443 KB, 793x677) Image search: [Google]
MikeLoveFormula.png
443 KB, 793x677
To be honest I'm sort of a new comer to rock, I like a lot of it pleb and patrician but I for now would much rather see a proper comeback of hip hop

I'm sick of all this edgy twelviecore "politically aware cultural commentary" faggotry like Chief Keef and Bandz go away in replacement of something more like Kendrick, but less "I done been strugglin" stuff
I want more ATCQ and EB&R no more Chifake nigger rappers
>>
>>64042144
lol, youre alright
>>
>>64042145
>What do kids listen to today when they want to be "counter-culture" and not top 40/radio?

Death Grips :^)
>>
>>64042145
hip hop wont be around much longer anyways, the idea isnt much newer than our idea of rock
>>
>>64041882
who do you, someone who has obviously never listened to a bruce springsteen album, feel comfortable assessing his music?
>>
> arguing
>not rocking out

This is how punk died

Listen to this plz

http://youtu.be/zqpFvNwaSuw
>>
File: davis.jpg (79 KB, 457x653) Image search: [Google]
davis.jpg
79 KB, 457x653
>mfw people are still giving v for vagina shill attention
>>
>>64042145
>Hip Hop is becoming way too safe and dull and interlinked with female-oriented pop divas
No, it's not. Hip hop, like every genre, is becoming more and more multifaceted and niche-catering. If you have trouble finding a wealth of current hip hop that isn't
>too safe and dull and interlinked with female-oriented pop divas
then you suck at living in 21st century.
>>
>>64041882
Have you ever heard the album nebraska? I dont think coldplay ever released anything like that...
>>
>>64042179
FUCK yeah, this motherfucker knows whats up

not really related but you will feel me dude:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1pKSCoOSUo
>>
>>64042188
Hey broskief give that trumpet a rest and get with the times.. yes, THESE times! Give 'em a shot.
>>
>>64042099
You know, one of my favorite bands loves Springsteen and say it's a big influence, but I never listened to him myself lol

>>64042114
>Does "saving rock" mean that a band has to be really famous like the white stripes or something

Not really that. Just a big dominant cultural force like it was before. Like, look at Jazz. It still exists in a major way but not like before. I'm not sure what the major force now is. Pop Hop.

>>64042189
Not saying there isn't lots of great hip-hop. Just talking about the popular stuff.
>>
I could save rock with you guys all night, its so fucking late though FUCK IT \mmmm/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTW0gpC16DE
>>
>>64042234
"beard in the field"
>>
>>64042179
>>64042202
>>64042234
If we're posting music that we think is a good example of modern rock, here's one of the tracks I mentioned earlier that I think shows the kind of mix between rock and EDM that could have promise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTLmO8ynyAc
>>
>>64042234
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTW0gpC16DE
I like this. It sounds like a watered down Mastodon though. Nothing new.
>>
>>64042263
sounds like mall metal
>>
File: earthless-from-the-ages.jpg (464 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
earthless-from-the-ages.jpg
464 KB, 1500x1500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcjxs2XanLs

>>64042254
kek
>>
>>64041732
I really thought everything up to humbug had a lot of potential then their direction in music kind of sunk.
>>
>>64042263
this is fucking awful

>>64042280
this is pretty fucking cool
>>
>>64041732

The Strokes and White Stripes were so fucking cool when I was a little kid. The only music I knew about growing up whatever cheesy EDM was on the local radio (z103.5), boy bands and britney divas, big rap singles like In Da Club and all those ones, and shitty rap rock (I used to say I hated rock because all I knew about was linkin park or whatever).

But then these guys came around, found them out through my cool older sister, and changed my whole life. Picked up guitar and everything. Other bands like Franz Ferdinand, Hives, arctic monkeys, all those guys in that early 2000 period, that's what I thought was "cool" and totally different.

But by now all those bands are dead or disbanded or don't really make a splash or influence anymore, even related ones like arcade fire went 80s dancey
>>
i would love more music like this, just genreless Rock with emphasis on musicianship and everybody rocking the fuck out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr9O5FEUQuk
>>
>>64042202
Thank you
>>
File: iota - tales.jpg (93 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
iota - tales.jpg
93 KB, 500x500
>>64042300
>>64042150
there's a plethora of bands playing this sort of shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk5xhxWp2Xk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iTgv5y6HFQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC2rTFJaZxg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAaK8CAtBgo
>>
>>64042325
You are totally right, what I think is that if we want rock to have a new jump up in music relevance we have to come up with something like what they did.
I think that we don't need music to save rock, but a solid movement.
>>
>>64042338
Not really Genreless, kinda post grunge only actually good
>>
File: cheaptrick.jpg (66 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
cheaptrick.jpg
66 KB, 306x306
>catchy as fuck
>actually rock
>excellent live

this is how you save rock
>>
The idea of rock could mean literally any kind of music. So when I see someone say oh I like Rock I'm like so what Rock could mean literally anything.
>>
>>64042189
And that's why hip hop will be dead soon. Nobody wants to search and dig deep.
>>
>>64042420

I think it all depends on both a major cultural force (unexpected and unplanned), and what kind of music kids are making now in their garages and bedrooms.

Also remember that those 2000 bands were pretty much all youngins playing retro music (like for the strokes, 70s proto-punk) they liked together. And the music they made filled a niche that wasn't currently filled in the popular sphere - as in, to the relative layman listening to the radio, or now to kids who only listen to youtube front page singles, etc, not to music junkies who know all about record stores and napster and torrents.

So what niches aren't currently being filled? It doesn't even have to be a "new genre".
>>
>>64041537
>I bet they don't perform in the nude, light guitars on fire, or tell girls in the audience to show their tits.
i'd cringe if a rock band did shit like that today. Rock isnt cool anymore, and it never will be. Which is fine, i think most people would rather have something new instead
>>
The importance of "new genres" is overrated

The newest popular genre in the last decade has been dubstep

And it's not even new, it's just "EDM"

There are no new genres
>>
>>64042579
literally wanting to search and digging deep is what defines the modern music listener, and it's what all modern music services are built around
>>
>>64042628

> cringe

Seeing people write has the same effect on me
>>
>>64042673
No they don't the software makes suggestions for them.
>>
>>64042043
lol i promise you, music in 50 years will sound different from now. There's gonna be some young people that do stuff that to them seems natural but others find it weird and people will like it and they influence other people and so on. Not gonna be some fuck sitting down thinking "how can i do something new". I dont get people who say everythings been done, i swear people have said that for thousands of years when it comes to art
>>
>>64042712
it has changed far less from 2000-2010 than it has 1990-2000 so don't count on it
>>
>>64042673

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

People's views are formed by top 40 radio, youtube million-hit singles, the grammy awards, etc

The majority of people only listen to a small selection of capital-p Popular Artists
>>
File: 1449042149450.png (1 MB, 986x775) Image search: [Google]
1449042149450.png
1 MB, 986x775
>>64040069
We shouldn't, just let it die, and remember the good times
>>
>>64042325
>White Stripes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIFfZfoUEaM

so cool
>>
>>64042726
i disagree. Maybe if you're talking about rock music, but thats sort of the point here. Besides, 10 years is nothing. We're talking about an art thats been around for thousands of years. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz0wjb_jai-paul-track-2-str8-outta-mumbai_travel listen to thisssss
>>
>>64042796
Some people can't let go. For them rock is a life. They chase after that dream when they're into old age and balding and then they die.
>>
>>64042808
This is blocked in the USA WTF
>>
>>64042839

Does this work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnBZ3MKhdOk
>>
>>64040069
At the moment I'm trying to explorer 80s style synth sounds. Because while a lot fo the stuff was done to death, I do feel that the technology moved on before we were able to fully harness the full depth of that sound.
>>
>>64042860
I think a nirvana type band with crazy proggy synth sound would be euphoric
>>
>>64042824
It's not the fact that they still enjoy rock, but the fact they want to make it relevant again that gets me. We need to look for something new, not to try and revive a genre of music dead to the mainstream masses. Enjoy it, but don't push it down people's throats
>>
>>64041764
>morals means mechanical repetition of actions based on notions of society
Not really, that may be how some people feel about it and act it out but I disagree that it should be that way.
Rather, morality should be the logical conclusion of applied reason. A rational being behaves in a consistent manner. If morality is applied reason (ie. reasoning about how to act), then a moral agent will behave in a consistent manner.
>>
If you play in a band is your goal to make music that you can be proud of or is it to manufacture an image that you can sell?
>>
>>64042883
I do too but since the next new thing will be just more degeneracy nigger rappers I'll take a rock comeback instead
>>
i dont get it. Why rock? would you want a classical music comeback too? Why wouldn't you want something new instead
>>
>making rock album
>not cool at all

I'm a bit embarrassed of anybody listening to it (not that anybody will)
I've been on /mu/ too often and have this freak image of fwantwano reviewing it
Fuck all ya'll
>>
>>64042874
Definitely, now how to go about it...
>>
>>64042944
>>64042883

There is no such thing as "new"
No genre we have now are "new" or were new back when they were "created", they were just gradual transformations of older styles and influences
>>
>>64042952
make friends with a sludgy guitarist, hard hitting rhythm section and a classically trained pianist who owns a couple of old moogs then start writing songs?
>>
>>64042930
Well for most people it's the former and if you like just recording shit for yourselves then do it and more power to ya, but don't expect any commercial success unless you are willing to make an image for promoters and maybe also compromise on your sound
>>
>>64042949
gib me that link boyo I wanna hear it, your insecurity will be my entertainment for the evening.
>>
>>64042915
>A rational being
Human is not a rational being though, the reason is rather an usurper and a torturer of man's energy. All cults of reason led men to nowhere and are to blame for our folly. There's no need of reasoning for a rightful act, only the greatest passion is required.
>>
>>64042966
but why would you want something old get popular again is what im asking.
>>
>>64043023
Then stop reasoning against reasoning.
>>
>>64042930
What's the point of making music to be proud of if you're the only one listening to it?
>>
No band or genre is consciously created by some crazy brainstorming some wacky idea or whatever. Like, prog was made by beatles-loving kids in music schools, just playing what they liked, jamming for a long time. Or other genres created by guitarists in normal bands trying to be louder and louder. Then you have things like technology and drugs or new instruments offering other opportunities

>>64043033

Everything new is old. Every genre that could be "the new big thing!" will just be a slight offshoot of an older one, like every genre has always been, forever. So people asking "Why not want something NEW?" makes no sense.

For this discussion, we're speculating on how that "new offshoot" could be primarily a rock genre.
>>
Even if it did happen (top kek), what makes you think it would be better than shit like dubstep, or last longer, for that matter?
>>
>>64043062
To write your inner thoughts in the form of music. It's sort of like writing a diary. That's how I think about it. I do it because that's how I relieve myself.
>>
Pop Hop and Diva Pop will be the dominant pop music genres for all time

Because one appeals to dance clubs and the other to teen girls
>>
>>64043092
>Everything new is old
Read that again.

I'm not saying new things are made in a vacuum, they're built on old stuff but when it does something new, it's now new and not old anymore. I'm sure something influenced by rock can become the new big thing, but it would probably be different enough to the point of it not being rock anymore. The same way every new genre is created
>>
>>64043062
I like just making instrumentals for fun, If I had the chance to make records and tour I'd take it but I just like having fun. plus playing guitar and keyboard is how I escape my shit job. if it became my shit job it might feel weird
>>
>>64043135

Spend enough time stuck in your head and you'll end up in circles

I spent all my time in my early 20s writing like hundreds of songs but pretty much hit massive writer's block once I felt like my top was gonna blow if I didn't let any of it out
>>
File: download.jpg (4 KB, 226x223) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4 KB, 226x223
Isnt doom metal basically what modern rock should sound like? plenty of good doom metal released nowadays
>>
>>64043167
I think people miss visceral music that gives their anxiety and anger release, not the specific sounds of old rock.
>>
>>64043023
I think human beings do have a capacity for rationality.
But I think neither passion nor reason should outweigh the other.
>>
>>64043187
Yeah but it's not really accessible and I mean that in a physical way, those bands don't get around enough while touring, I'm not driving all the way to the middle of hillbilly rape land to hear a good band
>>
>>64043167
> I'm sure something influenced by rock can become the new big thing, but it would probably be different enough to the point of it not being rock anymore. The same way every new genre is created

But that's silly though. Nobody calls proto-punk or new wave or whatever "not rock anymore".
>>
>>64043150
it's true
>>
>>64043210
What he's saying is that no one calls rock blues.
>>
>>64040953
Seconded. inb4 "le wrong generation" but sometimes I wish I could've followed Phish around in their heyday, not giving a fuck about anything and just pouring my life into music and a band like that. As far as I know there aren't any artists with a cult of personality and community quite like that around them
>>
>>64041200
so sonic youth
>>
>>64043225

Music is driven by public congregations where young men and women do a rhythmic mating ritual in order to eventually fuck each other

Mead halls, jazz clubs, rock concerts, night clubs, that's the primary (as in "primal") purpose of music
>>
>>64043197
i think people still get that but not from rock music
>>
>>64043302
Ghost is gaining it but their gimmick (while done much better than anyone else to attempted it) is just silly. I don't think people will be following them around the digitally protected landscape
>>
>>64043315
and it's that primal thinking which makes that very music so perfect it's literally nothing about basic feelings and dopamine triggers, it follows the formula perfectly, until a bunch of people become cynical of the modern world and try to discuss it OFFLINE it will never change
>>
>>64043328
Ghost is a band I really wish I liked more than I do. But I want them to be successful, I want them to be HUGE, I want them to be fucking scary or at least surprise people by having a legitimate smash hit or something.
>>
>>64043393
>at least surprise people by having a legitimate smash hit or something.
would be nice
>>
>>64043412
Personally, there's plenty of good rock and metal music coming out every year that I enjoy, but I get people's frustrations that rock isn't as mainstream relevant as it was for a long time, and I would be happy if Ty Segall or FIDLAR or someone new just randomly had a top 10 hit and suddenly got people interested again
>>
>>64043462

Exactly, but it's not just one single or band which would just make it a flash in the pan, it'd have to be a whole upswell of multiple bands happening at some ground level somewhere. And are youngins these days getting together to make rock bands, or are they instead alone in their rooms making mixtapes?
>>
>>64043522
Well, from my experience, in high school (2011-2015) there was a certain group of people that played in bands and were music nerds, and even rivalling bands and stuff. It was pretty cool. Now my brother is in a band that's doing better than my band ever did, house parties, burning cd's, all the classic stuff a high school band does, so I have faith. It's not mainstream anymore but the people who like it still really like it
>>
>>64040127
Kek of the month
>>
File: look.jpg (37 KB, 341x435) Image search: [Google]
look.jpg
37 KB, 341x435
>wanting to save a dead shitty genre fad
>>
File: MDSL100HF.jpg (23 KB, 325x400) Image search: [Google]
MDSL100HF.jpg
23 KB, 325x400
If rock is to survive it will hav3 to incorporate EDM and be danceable. I like the anti degeneracy angle boards been speaking of but let's face it this is balogna that will never sell. Expressive not technical guitars, or perhaps a duo drawing from each school and blending them. Lyrics....hmm, social conciousness is dead, escapism is dead, love is dead, death is dead. Good luck with that.
>>
>>64044416
>forgot god is dead
ladies and gentlemen we have a certified cuck here
>>
>implying rock n roll will ever die
>>
>>64041537
Tame Impala is not rock for fuck's sake. What the hell is wrong with /mu/?
>>
>>64045442
Anything can be rock in this day and age. Nobody knows what the fuck rock is anymore. That's why I say let it die already. Rock has become bastardized enough already.
>>
Is this the most Reddit thread this poor board has ever seen?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.