[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the honest opinion of R.E.M around here? Half the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: spitoon.jpg (49 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
spitoon.jpg
49 KB, 1280x720
What's the honest opinion of R.E.M around here?

Half the stuff I see praises them as great and half of it calls them normie dadrock

Michael Stipe has always seemed like le wacky baldman so I don't know what to think. Have never listened to them before but am about to give it a shot
>>
>>64038745
REM fanboys are out here. They're hidden, but they're out here.
>>
Theyre like U2, a trascendental band with diferentes stages that you have to judge by yourself.
>>
k so in all seriousness, R.E.M. are literally one of the greatest alternative rock bands of all time. Murmur and Reckoning are their bast albums. They have a stupid number of great, great songs. Classic band all the way, better than U2 by miles.
>>
>>64038745
Murmur is a brilliant album and I'm still in denial that it was made in 1983.
>>
>>64038745
what is REM
>>
>>64038855
>>64038898
are they actually similar to u2? I fucking hate u2 but what i've listened to by REM sounds good
>>
Shiny happy people sounds like it would better as the theme to a 90s sitcom or something, like The West wing.
>>
>>64038917
Well what songs have you listened to? U2 are more arena rock than REM who weren't at all like U2 in their early years. Both have post-punkish influences though so they aren't worlds apart but I wouldn't say that they're too similar, and even if they are sonically close REM are in general just better songwriters by a large margin. Try 'em out.
>>
What are y'all's opinion on Automatic? it's one of my favorite albums by them, but I do see the criticism it gets for being too "adult contemporary".

Personally I think Nightswimming is one of the greatest songs ever written
>>
>>64038977
Bono is my main problem with u2. also the fact that a grown man calls himself The Edge

Streets have no name is a good song tho
>>
>>64038907
What the hell in my mind i was pretty sure it was from 1991

>>64038917
Theyre similar in the sense that they changed theyre sound a bunch of times, and if you hate U2, you havent really heard their discography.
>>
For some reason a lot normies seem to have a hateon for U2, along with Nickelback.

I've never heard any of their songs so I'm wondering: what's so bad about them?
>>
>>64038981
It's not my favorite R.E.M. record because I think it lags from time to time (and IMO Sweetness Follows and Star Me Kitten are the definition of filler) but when it hits, it hits hard.

Basically with Automatic For The People I think the first three songs and the last three songs are fantastic, but everything else in between is patchy and YMMV.
>>
>>64039004
Those are the reasons of a 15 year old who memes about south park
>>
>>64039036
I feel like U2 just falls into that middle ground where they're not really liked by the mainstream because of whatever reason, be it the songwriter, bono being a douche, etc and hipsters don't like them because they're too well known
>>
>>64039050
sorry for not liking u2 senpai

I usually hate the label dadrock but they're way too dad for me. They're just generic

Also fuck south park
>>
R.E.M are fucking god tier
One of the few bands where all of their radio hits are great and most of their unknown stuff is great
>>
>>64039004
Michael Stipe is nothing like Bono so that probably won't bother you.

Listen to Radio Free Europe, Losing My Religion, Man On The Moon, and So. Central Rain. If you don't like any of those songs you're not gonna like REM.
>>
>>64039108
listening right now and Radio Free Europe is great
>>
>>64039036
They hate them becuase they've been exposed to modern U2. their career up to 1996 is incredible, almost flawless except for rattle and hum.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.