[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we save rock?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 12
File: theater_motleycrue007.jpg (64 KB, 522x375) Image search: [Google]
theater_motleycrue007.jpg
64 KB, 522x375
Continued from >>64015833
>>
>>64033723
We don't. It's gone. We better get something new fast because Hip Hop's 50 year mark is right around the corner.
>>
>>64033828
Dude, Rapper's Delight is less than 40 years old.
>>
File: Pink-Floyd-Animals1.jpg (179 KB, 1420x1420) Image search: [Google]
Pink-Floyd-Animals1.jpg
179 KB, 1420x1420
It deserves to stay dead. Pic related is literal dogshit compared even to Kanye's worst album.

Fuck you, dadrock.
>>
I think people on /mu/ are looking at rock the wrong way. While some bands are trying to create the next feels band shoegaze post rock ambient crap you need to go back to the essence of what made rock music. What made rock music was the rhythm section, that sense of empowerment and freedom.
>>
File: 1447882669696.jpg (7 KB, 267x323) Image search: [Google]
1447882669696.jpg
7 KB, 267x323
>>64033828
>We don't. It's gone.
Actually I disagree.

All the teens around my area crank up grunge music again.

What the hell? Guess it's like dadrock to them.
>>
>>64033929
lol
>>
>>64033929
Hi kanye
>>
>>64033959
I agree.

Needs more sex drugs and rock and roll
>>
It would have to be something that really pisses people off, sounds modern, is catchy, but has really solid songwriting. I feel like something with /pol/ related lyrics, a mixture of electronic/live instruments, and genuinely talented musicians would be the only way to do it.
>>
I tried to write a post talking about good rock bands today and realized that I legitimately couldn't do it

ah well, fuck it
>>
>>64034100
People don't care about solid songwriting. All they want is something that makes them bounce. Damn people overthinking this stuff. Don't overestimate the mainstream.
>>
>>64034141
Touche amore is the shit.
>>
Like The Clash said, "No more Elvis, Beatles or Rolling Stones in '77."

Since all Millenials can do are bands like Tame Impala that play mock Jimmy Page licks...anyway, the point is that the punk bands loved the Rolling Stones and The Who (their heroes) but they made their own style and didn't try to make a half-assed imitation of their predecessors. A new style that was relevant to the late 70s-early 80s instead of the late 60s-early 70s.
>>
>>64034193
>All they want is something that makes them bounce.

this

the kids want to dance. it has been that way since the 19th century.
>>
>>64034193
Springsteen was always a songwriting-driven guy and he became God and sold millions of records. You sound like you think all rock should be AC/DC.
>>
>>64034255
So my dad showed me a video of this chick who could play near-perfect 70s-style guitar licks. She nailed it, it really did sound like Tony Iommi circa 1972. But then you think "Ok, that's nice and all but if I wanted that, I'd just go and put on Paranoid instead of this silly imitation."
>>
>>64034340
Basement, adventures, pity sex, citizen, pretty sure there's fucktons more but they go for an emo/grunge sound but the shit isn't catchy at all. There's no far behinds, the big emptys, or woulds. The music they emulate works as a tone but the songwriting is severely lacking.
>>
>>64033723
By not making shit like Motley Crue ever again.
>>
>>64033929
Prog isn't real rock anyway.
>>
>>64033723
Make it great again.

Duh.

Build on the past, avoid 'revivals'

Look at aesthetic things of old rock - especially grunge which still strikes a chord today.

I write about poverty and social decay, add sex to it too. Think "dystopian cyberpunk club"

Get sounds like shoegaze, stoner rock and grunge and you have a winner.

Then build on that. Tweak shit - like pedals, textural sounds, ideas.
>>
>>64034662
Thanks for adding to the discussion. Your shit post really helped me see this situation in a new light. Dare I say, I was naive before you enlightened me. And for that I am grateful.
>>
>>64034756
Is this where we share our music and act like the saviours of rock?
>>
>>64034141
>I tried to write a post talking about good rock bands today and realized that I legitimately couldn't do it
LOCAL GIGS

Fuck sake people. Local gigs are always better than popular gigs. The scenes underground again (especially alternative rock) - it's back to where we were before grunge.

Rocks not dead. It's the next big thing. Why don't people see this?
>>
You could write the next LZ IV and it won't matter because record labels simply don't want to sign rock groups anymore since pop stars are easier to develop and provide more immediate returns.
>>
>>64034806
i tried to explain this in the last thread, its gonna come back, everything is in cylces, its just how humans work
>>
>>64034804
Yep. Just like Alice in Chains, Nirvana and Soundgarden in the late 80's.

If things go to plan - mainstream by the 20's (fucking hell the 20's)

Look at how they tried to emulate the pain of that era in Seattle.

Reason why Tame Impala got big is because bands do that in Perth. Everyone's looking for the next new/big thing. So there's a pop element too, only it's still underground.
>>
You gotta understand that things like electric guitars, bass guitars, amplifiers used to be new once. Distortion, feedback, pedals were new once too. There used to be time when people danced to music played live. This was the heyday of rock.

Today we live in a different reality. There hasn't been anything drastically new in rock gear for decades. It has far more genres/styles to compete with nowadays—dance music, hip-hop, and so on. These competitors thrive today—while physical record sales are down, literally anyone can make an album on a laptop and upload it online. It's the perfect soil for hip-hop and EDM, but it makes rock feel obsolete.

Rock used to thrive on albums and arena concerts—simply nothing was louder than it. But this has changed and changed big. EDM acts fill stadiums, MTV is dead, and album isn't feeling that well nowadays.

So it's not that artists or anyone can really do anything with rock. It's not their fault, it's not anyone's fault. Simply the current environment fits EDM and hip-hop much better. Rock doesn't gain much from digital era. Moreover, it makes it look ancient. It simply isn't a good time.
>>
>>64034825
this is true, but if we look back in time, alot of bands got noticed because of their fans, if you can get yourself out there and noticed, label aside, it will influence others to do the same, so youd have all these rock bands, record labels would bound to start signing
>>
But Fall Out Boy has already done it dumbass
>>
>>64034905
>You gotta understand that things like electric guitars, bass guitars, amplifiers used to be new once. Distortion, feedback, pedals were new once too.
in the 60's.

There's still been pedal development and the style has barely changed.

Drop the tempo but keep it pop.
Or make it fuzzy but keep it pop.
Or make it disturbing but (somehow) keep it pop.

Look at things that made the EDM scene good - drugs and sex.

Know what's missing from rock nowadays?
>>
>>64034825
Indeed. Taylor Swift is the Springsteen of today, aside from having a pussy instead of a dick.
>>
>>64034905
this is such a logical way of viewing it, i bet you have asperge or something lmao

i understand the points you're making, but people get bored, whilst electronic music can be infinite, humans imagination is not, if youre implying guitars are ancient you are literally memeing so hard youre gonna rip a whole in space time
>>
>>64034968
Whut. TS is more like the Osmonds of today, a bubblegum act for 10 year olds and she'll be completely irrelevant in 8-10 years.
>>
>>64034968
The Springsteen of today is probably some fedoracore hipster act that /mu/ likes but only 10 people know about. But could be big if they were on a major label.
>>
>>64034960
It's true, but AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong) not much fundamentally new had been done like distortion, delay, etc.

> Look at things that made the EDM scene good - drugs and sex.

Forgot to mention that. Yep, also true.
>>
>>64034806
i should probably check shit out. fuck it man ill start my own band and revive rock.
>>
I don't get people saying Taylor Shit is a great artist or is influencing any future music trends. She's about as relevant as Debbie Gibson or some other past teenybopper icon.
>>
>>64035051
Sufjen
>>
>>64035065
>It's true, but AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong) not much fundamentally new had been done like distortion, delay, etc.
>what is tame impala
>what is tube saturation
>what is reverse reverb
>what is the 50 million pedals never tried

You people just gave up and said "it's too hard"

Seriously, so many new sounds with guitars. Plus they sound better than digital crap, which doesn't humanise the sound as well.

It's not like jazz where the instruments all sound the same as when they started. Rock has no limit. Only people who can't think have limits.

Tweak the small things until it sounds catchy and demands attention at pubs/clubs.

People are already getting sick of pinger pushes at clubs. It's old.
>>
In my ideal fantasy, I'd be the frontman of some rage-filled extreme metal band that sings about how baby boomers suck and the youth of America need to rise up and forcibly euthanize all of them.
>>
I'd like to start my own band. I only play the keyboard though. I'm not cool either and I can't sing. I don't really know how much I can contribute.
>>
>>64035177
I prefer smug bands. Ones that are pissed, but show it in a smug way, like 30's era jazz (during a depression like ours)
Keep it sexy but hard.
>>
>>64035177
There's millions of bands doing that already. You need to come up with some original ideas.
>>
>>64035192
>I'd like to start my own band. I only play the keyboard though. I'm not cool either and I can't sing. I don't really know how much I can contribute.
LEARN A NEW INSTRUMENT

So many people I'm with say "I can't do that"

several jams later, the bands ready for gigs.

Stop being pussy.
>>
Cheap Trick retroactively layed the groundwork for good sounding ironic rock played without wankery but also without sounding boring. What we need is another loud rock band that doesnt take itself too seriously, but also produces very well written material.

Nirvana almost did it, but they took themselves way too seriously.
>>
>>64035231
I like the keyboard though. Not synth. I'm just thinking about how a digital piano would fit into that. You would need to be crafty about it.
>>
>>64035223
>There's millions of bands doing that already. You need to come up with some original ideas.
What if they give it a moody, dark aura, not a metal aura but a clubby aura.

Very little bands do that.

I tried that,
https://soundcloud.com/socialjusticewarriorx/whispers-take-2
don't know if it's been pulled off.
>be gentle /mu/ kek
>>
>>64034987
I mostly listen to rock. I just tried to tell it like it is, from the point of view of the masses.

Masses don't give a fuck about new sound, they care about what's hip or not. EDM and hip-hop is where the money is right now.

DAWs are the hippest "instrument" of this generation. Guitars have lost most of their mass appeal. Guitar heroes are the things of the past now.

This doesn't mean you can't do anything new with guitars. This only means your local gig will only gather a bunch of outcasts who still believe in rock. This is an environment which is very hostile to rock music. At the same time, some meme rapper can make 10 times the amount of money as you with 10 times less the effort.
>>
>>64035266
please god if you're gonna start a band have a good keyboard tone
>>
>>64033723
Remind everyone that Love You is the best Beach Boys album
>>
>>64035266
>I like the keyboard though. Not synth. I'm just thinking about how a digital piano would fit into that. You would need to be crafty about it.
Or just avoid keyboards.

Keyboards/synths are for dorks.
>>
Who gives a fuck, let it disvirtuate into other interesting genres, that way we'll avoid the plebs that call us ''rockers'' when we say we listen to rock but in reality we mean we listen to every subgenre except the ones you listen to you disgusting horse manure.
>>
>>64035223
It would need good songwriting and melody to be commercially successful. Remember that Cobain had to learn how to write hooks before he got on MTV.
>>
File: dfc.gif (1 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
dfc.gif
1 MB, 200x200
>>64035434
*cough* >>64035273

Though fuck self promotion right?

Needs a little work still.
>>
File: guns n roses 2016.jpg (51 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
guns n roses 2016.jpg
51 KB, 600x450
Don't worry lads, the last truly great rock band before everything went to shit (thanks grunge) are back and ready to rule the world again
>>
>>64035367
I know keyboards are not cool. They have a different appeal. They could be beautiful and haunting and commanding with a full sound. I wanna be the band that does what other bands have failed to do with that dynamic.
>>
>>64035164
>>It's true, but AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong) not much fundamentally new had been done like distortion, delay, etc.
>>what is tame impala
>>what is tube saturation
>>what is reverse reverb
>>what is the 50 million pedals never tried

That's not what I meant.

It's obvious to me rock is superior. But to the masses, literally every thing you mentioned doesn't mean shit. They need hip stuff. Rock isn't hip anymore.

You'll ask, how does this impact the indie rock. But smaller bands tailgate the success of something bigger. When rock is in decline, small bands get less attention and less profit as result. Rock simply became impossible to make a living from, unless you're radio-ready post-grunge or something like that.
>>
>>64035509
>It's obvious to me rock is superior. But to the masses, literally every thing you mentioned doesn't mean shit. They need hip stuff. Rock isn't hip anymore.
You're not doing it right.

Cause more controversy dammit.
Play at indie venues but then slag off cunts.

Spit on retards. Get in their face.

You can't do that with EDM. It's why rock still exists.
>>
>>64035569
That's what shit tier punk rock bands think they can do. Then they play in front of 10 people and make just enough money to buy the next batch of heroine.
>>
>>64035602
Don't play punk then.

Play something like impala, make the lyrics cutting, look like you don't give a fuck.

This is why Perth now has the biggest scene in Aus per capita.
>>
>>64033929
The Wall is better.

>>64033959
Also the theatrics. Modern rock bands tend to be overly reserved.
>>
>>64035177
Yeah and at our concerts we'll burn some effigy of an aging hippie couple posing in front of a VW Bus. And then the venue will catch on fire, there will be a stampede, and 250 people die.

Badass.
>>
>>64035654
>Also the theatrics. Modern rock bands tend to be overly reserved.
Finally, someone else says this.

It's actually mainly theatrics.

Look at Kanye.
>>
>>64035654
>Also the theatrics. Modern rock bands tend to be overly reserved

Really. You gotta sell it. I mean, Ted Nugent used to swing on a rope over the audience in a loincloth and stick his head inside the speakers.
>>
>>64035681
Now you see why Nickelback are so hated. They were boring and had absolutely nothing interesting or provocative about them. That's not rock-and-roll.
>>
>>64035681
Heck, Eminem had it back in the day. He taught an entire generation of kids how to use four letter words.
>>
>>64035704
sometimes theatrics can be shit however. the mars volta are incredibly theatrical and are bad on every conceivable level.
>>
>>64035704
I've seen a guy strip himself nude and climb columns within the pub.

Place was packed.

Though they were all Jewish - go figure. (Or maybe palestinian)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI09TtPmM-c

This is the band. They are nothing but attitude with shitty indie music.
>>
>>64035569
Fuck, honestly, how old are you?

I had a friend who has a band. Plays shows basically for free. Spends his allowance on pedals/guitars. Always searches for other volunteers.

Also got a drug habit. Lived with his mom, then he rented a place. I asked him how he was going to pay for it—he said he didn't know, he didn't even have enough. He owes like 3 if not more people more than $300 total. But still believes music is above everything in life.

Now back to you. Your mistake is that you think you have a great cause—to show people rock is great. You imagine you're a star of a Disney movie, where a kid singlehandedly revives the local scene and then rock music. But you're just conceited because you think loving rock makes you "holier" than others.
>>
>>64035493
If this is not bait...
>>
>>64035813
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7G_ZXWd9AI

>That cannabis plant.
>>
>>64035793
I mean, yeah in the case of GG Allin he took it a little too far.
>>
>>64033828
>Hip Hop's 50 year mark is right around the corner
Even its earliest underground roots are about 40-45 years old
>>
>>64035852

Why would it be?
>>
>>64033828
However, like rock in its prime, hip hop continuously evolved to stay relevant and cutting edge.
>>
>>64035704
RHCP doing socks-on-cocks. That was the stuff that scares parents.

The point is, rock and hip-hop are supposed to be visceral unless you're Bruce Springsteen where the lyrics are more important than your stage antics but he always sucked anyway.
>>
>>64035851
>Also got a drug habit. Lived with his mom, then he rented a place. I asked him how he was going to pay for it—he said he didn't know, he didn't even have enough. He owes like 3 if not more people more than $300 total. But still believes music is above everything in life.
I go to uni in the meantime dickhead. I'm not that dumb.
Stop dragging me in with that cunt. He's just a flat out cunt.

I just act like a cunt in the venue.

>Now back to you. Your mistake is that you think you have a great cause—to show people rock is great. You imagine you're a star of a Disney movie, where a kid singlehandedly revives the local scene and then rock music. But you're just conceited because you think loving rock makes you "holier" than others.
Man rock is not going to improve with that attitude.

Be smart, but also a cunt.

Not a dumbcunt. Act like you're trapped in a horrible machine. Actually you won't need to act because you are trapped.
>>
>>64035903
Hip-hop also isn't encumbered by excessive fetishization of the past like rock. You never see anyone dickride old rappers like LL Cool J the way they dickride Jimmy Page.
>>
>>64035766
Nickelback sang about getting head on the highway and coming from abusive relationships. The problem is they've always sounded corny. Like this music was made for lower classic white trash.
>>
>>64036018
This

Use some wit. God dammit /mu/ you autists.

Think the smart look of joy division, but the attitude of Layne Staley.
Try to get good managers too. Make contacts.

You don't get record dealers by acting like an autist. Talk to people.
>>
>>64036018
>Like this music was made for lower classic white trash

Big deal, so was Motley Crue but Nickelback sure as hell didn't scare the bejeezus out of parents like the former did in 86. Why? Boring band is boring. Like I'm sure Chad Kroeger ever trashed a hotel room and talked about channeling Satan in interviews.

Like someone else said, Kanye has that edge to him and that's why he's successful at what he does.
>>
>>64036079
>Like someone else said, Kanye has that edge to him and that's why he's successful at what he does.
In this PC climate, I'd openly attack femenists, border policies and the LBGT community.
>>
>>64036079
That's because he's easier to dance to. There's nothing edgy about Kanye he's just some retard who made some catchy songs. You don't see people dancing to Nickelback because that music sounded like a commercialized form of post gunge.
>>
>>64036129
Also start feuds in public. Get the media's attention.

>see UDF banner at the MCG
Get the publicity, get the fans.
>>
>>64033723
We all become Satchel
>>
>>64036079
And that's why Taylor Swift is a joke. What edge does she have? Madonna genuinely scared parents back in the day. This plastic Barbie Doll not so much.
>>
>>64036160
>There's nothing edgy about Kanye he's just some retard who made some catchy songs.
Look up DZ deathrays and Dune rats

Later is shit at music, yet thousands of views on youtube from that bong off video.
>>
Rock music should have pop-tier melodies if it even wants a chance at a revival.

If music isn't catchy, it's garbage.
>>
You don't have to masturbate on stage to be successful, like someone else said Bruce Springsteen never trashed a hotel room or stripped in the middle of a concert but he had good songwriting to make up for his lack of theatrics.
>>
>>64036218
And that, children, is why Metallica got big as much as mealfags like to cry that they were sellouts for putting too many hooks in their songs. Mostly because Lars understood the value of having a good pop sensibility.
>>
>>64036220
>You don't have to masturbate on stage to be successful, like someone else said Bruce Springsteen never trashed a hotel room or stripped in the middle of a concert but he had good songwriting to make up for his lack of theatrics.
Born in the USA was pretty controversial.

Write something about being a man that does not care about the ideals of the norm.
>>
>>64036220
Miley Cyrus tries so so hard to be provocative, but people are laughing at her and not with her.
>>
>>64036248
Yeah I understand that too. I wanna listen to music that sounds good. I don't wanna listen to some faggy sugar ray crap but it still has to sound good.
>>
>>64036250
Yes but that just confirms what I said that his "edge" was entirely in his lyrics. And really that song was just a typical lame boomer whinefest about not wanting to follow your parents' Levittown white picket fence lifestyle.
>>
>Moral of thread
Be the anti-cuck. Infuriate the left into frenzy while playing intially by their terms.

Smoke in clubs when you're not allowed to. Wear clothes that say "I just don't care anymore"

Play with instruments that indie bands use, but in the "wrong" way - like metal or something.

Another thing. Listen to other bands, get a supporting community going. If people see a community, they may be more inclined to join.
>>
>>64036248
Yeah but the bands that influenced them (Sabbath, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, and Priest) all had tons of big riffs and vocal melodies. I guess mealheads are even dumber than they look.
>>
>>64036268
She gets fans though?

But seriously, be witty. Hip hop niggers don't do wit anymore. Female soloists just ride the femenism meme. Witty musicians are hard to find.
>>
>>64036349
The moral is just be yourself dude. I believe if you're honest and give yourself to your music then you're more likely to find success.
>>
>>64036423
>I believe if you're honest and give yourself to your music then you're more likely to find success.
Nope. Stop living in lala land.

Nirvana didn't even do that. Cobain was edgy as fuck. He seemed to care about music, but really he was provocative.
>>
>>64036218
Yes! The lead guitar in Foo Fighter's - My Hero definitely has that. If the song was remixed, it could incorporate that little lick into a very Pop song.
>>
>>64036268
She has no talent and nothing to actually say as an artist. Madonna had actual talent and was a walking encyclopedia of dance styles and classic Hollywood/European cinema. People like Miley Cyrus just look at grainy video of her at the 84 VMAs and think "Cool I wanna do that." without the same level of cultural knowledge.

And all of the 60s-70s rockers, they drew influences from many forms of music including folk, country, jazz, and blues. Tame Impala just do a weak imitation of those bands and have no musical knowledge to build anything original on.
>>
>>64036452
Kurt Cobain had issues. People keep saying that you have to be edgy but that's not the truth. You could be coldplay or U2 or a Billy Joel. There's more ways to do it than one.
>>
>>64036521
Like I said, Springsteen had no real hardship in his life or Billy Joel or Mick Jagger. Coddled middle class babbies. So yes, you don't _always_ have to grow up on the wrong side of the tracks.
>>
>>64036452
Here's why grunge worked:
>start with Jane's addiction
They went all out. Tried to make it seem like everyone was fucked in the head.
>influence fans with the themes of the music
Create a community. Lollapolloza set this in stone.
>Play unconventionally
Alice in Chains should not have toured with the "metal giants"
>Provoke with disturbing edgy bullshit
Again, Alice in Chains literally took on the music industry, took the piss out of it (especially with Man in the box and We Die Young "scary is on his way)
>Learn to sell yourself
Find managers, get them to seek deals, talk shit when asked if you're worth it.
>create an identifiable rock music direction
Grunge was simple, hard punky rock with almost shoegazey level distortion. Be wittier, make something a little cooler, like the rock in the past was stupid and old. Avoid dadrock comparisons. Even grunge comparisons. Criticise cobain and even modern musicians.
>>
>>64036521
>People keep saying that you have to be edgy but that's not the truth. You could be coldplay or U2 or a Billy Joel.
But those bands rode the wave of the "new craze". It didn't matter that they weren't edgy by that point.
Radiohead started coldplays rise. They found edge with the bends and Ok computer. Coldplay just pretended.

U2 was actually controversial initially, being irish people that did rediculous shit on stage.
>>
>>64036585
>Be wittier, make something a little cooler, like the rock in the past was stupid and old. Avoid dadrock comparisons. Even grunge comparisons. Criticise cobain and even modern musicians

Well, not so much that dadrock is bad, more just "It was good for its time but this is our time." just like the punk bands loved the Rolling Stones but made clear that they'd had their day and it was over now.
>>
This whole thread is cringe. This is why there's not good rock bands anymore. Because they're more interested in talking about marketing before they even have a sound.
>>
>>64036646
>Well, not so much that dadrock is bad, more just "It was good for its time but this is our time." just like the punk bands loved the Rolling Stones but made clear that they'd had their day and it was over now.
Frankly I think it's awful in today's context. Culture has changed.
>>
>>64036654
>This whole thread is cringe. This is why there's not good rock bands anymore. Because they're more interested in talking about marketing before they even have a sound.
Time and time again, the biggest new thing has been simplistic and almost awful sound wise. You dumb ass.

Nirvana was shit live, yet great somehow.

And they all thought like this in the past. They just pretended they didn't.
Hell it was obvious with Alice in Chains. Why else would you write Dirt.
>>
>>64036646
See, that's what hip-hop does that rock doesn't. It's not afraid to tell last decade's rappers that they're washed up. Remember how many times Eminem shit on has-beens like Benzino and told them they were too old to rap?

So now some 20 year old needs to tell Em he's done and this isn't '99 anymore.
>>
>>64036695
>Frankly I think it's awful in today's context. Culture has changed.

What's awful in today's context?
>>
>>64036775
I said dadrock was awful in today's context.
>>
>>64036750
That's because hip hop doesn't age very well. Hip Hop is depended on technology and current trends in pop culture. None of that stuff in 2002 is relevant in 2016.
>>
>>64036819
But I just got done saying that.

>more just "It was good for its time but this is our time."
>>
>>64036833
>Hip Hop is depended on technology and current trends in pop culture
And rock isn't? You think Sticky Fingers was still a relevant album in 1985?
>>
>>64036737
I'm going to self promote because pissed off sound noise from a native reserve. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=25QA2EqH1Xc
>>
>>64036775
Well grunge for starters. It's the new dadrock.

You play alice in chains at a party and nobody will get it. The time was different. Metal and MTV were the big things. They attacked that and it was edgy.

Now "indie rock" (the popular crap), EDM, some hip hop and metalcore are the big things. Plus Pitchfork, political correctness and hipsterdom.

Hipsters need to die.
>>
>>64036840
You said two contradictory things.

>Well, not so much that dadrock is bad
>more just "It was good for its time but this is our time."

You're saying dadrock really isn't bad, then turn around and say it is bad now but it was good back in the day.
>>
>>64036885
I said the initial comment, not that dude.

Dadrock is awful without it's context. But back in it's context it was the best thing.
>>
>>64036885
the first bad was meant to be "100% bad"

not him btw but that was pretty clear
>>
>>64036878
And? If you'd played Who's Next at a party in 92, nobody would get that either since the album is essentially about post-60s disillusionment.
>>
Say, Hotel California. They can play that to death thousands and thousands of times on CRR but the message of the song is completely irrelevant now.
>>
>>64036923
>And? If you'd played Who's Next at a party in 92, nobody would get that either since the album is essentially about post-60s disillusionment.
That's what I said.

You need to attack things relevant to now.

PC is the big one. Hipsterdom and pinger pushers are the other one. EDM needs to be openly criticised - not "oh I like EDM"

Call it garbage. Because it is garbage, so bad that people need pills to listen to it.
>>
>>64036956
When I heard that song I always thought of that one episode of Goosebumps when people get trapped in a hotel and turned into wax figures.
>>
>>64036878
wew it's almost like AiC never made a catchy

good music can e taken out of its context and enjoyed today m8
>>
You're right. There's actually 14 year olds on Youtube comments arguing what Metallica -Blackened is about when anyone who was there in '88 would have VERY clearly understood that that was a song about nuclear war.
>>
>>64036991
I like some parts of it. But the sound is outdated.

It's like it's part of an 80's hangover.

Use the impala sound as a start. Tweak it to make it even more fucked up or cooler.
>>
>Gene Simmons: 'Lady Gaga can save rock'

He's right, you know.
>>
>>64037031
>Lady Gaga

She hasn't been relevant since Born this Way.

She's shit at music and her controversy is stupid. It's too PC. She's frightened of hurting feelings.
>>
>>64036991
Depends on the song desu. I mean, something like Kiss - Strutter is just about checking out some hot chick walking down the street. There's nothing that "dates" about that while a song like Won't Get Fooled Again is very, very dated.
>>
>>64037031
>Gene Simmons

He's a hack, like a legit hack, Kiss' success has always been a mystery to me
>>
The latest artists that seem a bit rock-y or at least punk, who are at the same time refreshing and innovative are Death Grips IMO. I think electronic based music will always prevail.
>>
>>64037082
>Strutter is just about checking out some hot chick walking down the street.
Even that is outdated.

Treat the chick like a piece of meat.
>>
>>64037086
All it really takes is a couple hit songs and an image for the females to latch onto. Look at Sugar Ray.
>>
>>64037098
>I think electronic based music will always prevail.
Bleeps are not controversial. Death Grips is cringy.

They had some abrasiveness and the live setup was cool. Plus the way they used the internet was unconventional. They memed their music - another tool underutilised.
>>
>>64037070
>She's shit at music

The Fame Monster was great though, and Born This Way had some good songs.
>>
>>64037082
>There's nothing that "dates" about that while a song like Won't Get Fooled Again is very, very dated.

Maybe though "Meet the new boss same as the old boss" is pretty universal since it's basically saying "Rebellion is futile and all you kids who think you're going to fix your parents' mistakes are wrong. Someday you'll turn into your parents."
>>
>>64037101
Tumblr is that way, legbeard. --->
>>
>>64037143
I'm just saying that because I feel like with electronic music it's only forward now. It can get dated real fast so that's why it's always moving quickly and constantly reinventing itself. We are able to respect and enjoy old bleep bloops and look forward to fresher sounding ones in the future.
>>
Another thing.

Think "what sound best captures the mood of today"

Something psych as fuck, yet cool in that 30's way (because their context was similar with the depression and a nazi threat - in our case a Stazi threat)
Think something that would piss off stazi germany. Nationalism is on the rise - you could either embrace that, or reject it if it gains too much ground
>>
>>64037159
Born this way is half a decade old.

It's outdated and almost already irrelevant.

>We are able to respect and enjoy old bleep bloops and look forward to fresher sounding ones in the future.
Bollocks. EDM will die for a bit, then maybe come back.

It's already starting to wane, a bit like synth pop.
>>
>>64036858
As far as technology, that as well. Rock dates poorly because guitars, amps, and playing styles change with time. Those sludgy 70s funk riffs done with a Fender plugged straight into a Marshall amp sounded hella outdated in the 80s era of pink Charvelles and squeal guitar.
>>
File: rivers.jpg (24 KB, 480x304) Image search: [Google]
rivers.jpg
24 KB, 480x304
>>64033723

We should ask Rivers Cuomo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z687XnigaLs
>>
>>64037206
I could get down with that. I think there's a lot of exploration to be done with the psycedelic vibe.
>>
>>64036228
Case in point

>>64037272
My little experimental post. Inb4 'you's
>>
>>64037206
I always say, listen to something like Blink 182. This was happy-go-lucky music reflecting late 90s Dot Com Bubble America. But by the time Bush was president, that music was outdated. Notice how much darker that early 2000s music, in the post-9/11 world was. Drowning Pool, that shit was the soundtrack of post-9/11 America. Today? Totally antiquated.
>>
>>64037257
>As far as technology, that as well. Rock dates poorly because guitars, amps, and playing styles change with time.
You see, EDM did exactly what I said in this thread. Started the whole "rock is dead" meme.

That's why you should point out the flaws in EDM, clubs and their drug culture/PC culture.
>>
>>64037357
But so does EDM. Do you think that the Macarena sounds modern? Hell no, it sounds like 1994.
>>
>>64037337
Well, how about Eminem. SSLP came out in 99 and is a mostly goofy, good-time fun product of the late 90s. TES is a lot different and darker. Not only because he was pushing 30 and maturing a bit, but that album came out in the post-9/11 days. Things had changed.
>>
just wanted to say that americans should stop using the term EDM

please stop
>>
>>64037403
Yeah thank nu-metal and later garage rock, newer edm for that.

Plus there are still loads of possibilities with guitars. The whole "rock can't make new sounds" is a load of rubbish. Try flangers, chorus and reverb and crackly distortion. Get a good mid/low end going. Keep the treble crackly or "blown a wish" like.

Shields was right about Impala. They were a bigger band than anyone gave them credit for. He literally copied some of the things he did in MBV,
>>
>>64037337
But damn, Blink 182 sure died fast once Bush became president. They were relevant for exactly two albums.
>>
>>64037491
>implying I'm american

I don't want to use "electronic music" every time I post. That's why the acronym became popular.
>>
>>64037494
I never said rock can't make new sounds. Heck, that's one of the great advantages of the electric guitar and also its biggest curse. It can make a practically infinite number of sounds but at the same time a particular sound can end up making a song dated af.
>>
>>64037550
>It can make a practically infinite number of sounds but at the same time a particular sound can end up making a song dated af.
Every song sounds dated eventually.

You need to make the guitar sound more fucked up than what could be done with EDM.

Hence the shoegaze revival and interest in Stoner rock/metal.
>>
>dadrock is going to be grandpa-rock when the next generation rolls around

>the new dadrock will be 90's-00's alt rock and grunge music
>>
>>64037520
Right. Their silly party music about skateboarding stopped being relevant.
>>
>>64037592
I think the 90s stuff will probably just be skipped over and ignored entirely, probably because the whole idea of being a rock star as it was in the 70s-80s was deprecated by Nirvana.

Like, you can't really play Pearl Jam at a sporting event like you can AC/DC. That doesn't work.
>>
>>64037494
We need to accept that guitar music has to plunder its past ruthlessly in order to move forward. Tame Impala is an example of this being done perfectly. Kevin Parker is a strong enough songwriter to sound both innovative and retro at the same time.
>>
>>64037602
I bet Trump will either be the thing to promote or the thing to attack. Especially if he's president (i think that's becoming likely)

As stazi germany hates him, support would be more beneficial.
>>
>>64037550
I feel like power chord based rock is gonna sound dated 95% of the time. Guitar players need to expand their repetoire. Instead of playing power chords you can play single notes more often. Just chill off the power chords a little bit.
>>
>>64037592
dadrock != old music newfriend
>>
>>64037520
Now I could compare a 90s powerhouse like Korn who stayed relevant through the whole first half of the 2000s.
>>
>>64037638
>I think the 90s stuff will probably just be skipped over and ignored entirely, probably because the whole idea of being a rock star as it was in the 70s-80s was deprecated by Nirvana.
That's my point.

Attack that and make that uncool. Catch out cobain for his provocativeness and how big of an industry pussy he was.

>>64037639
Way ahead of ya.

Even impala will need to be purged (kek). Fuck up his shit.
>>
>>64037679
>Now I could compare a 90s powerhouse like Korn who stayed relevant through the whole first half of the 2000s.
First two albums didn't sound like the next two.

Then they rode the Limp Bizkit train. Now the PC train.
>>
>>64037650
Vat. If anything, power chords age far better than riffs and solos which are really what dates a song. The classic Who songs are dated more by the lyrics than the instruments since Pete Townshend mostly just did power chords. Whereas if you listened to Led Zeppelin, all those funk rock riffs remind you that this is 1971.
>>
>>64037639
Also
>Tube saturation
>reverse reverb

Emphasise this more.
>>
>>64037723
What about the metal core solo things.

Breakdowns might be an idea too.

I use arpeggios.
>>
Rock is literally older as a genre now than ragtime was when rock first came about. The fact that it still has such a huge number of subgenres within subgenres with flourishing scenes producing new music every day should be appreciated for being as truly impressive as it is. Rock is like a phylum of animals, it's going to branch out and change over time such that its current examples will look nothing at all like what they all originally descended from, but it would take something massive to stop all the examples descended from it from evolving and producing differing offspeing of their own. Rock is a massive, ever-changing pool of disparate musical forms that will probably never again look like it did in the past, but that's exactly how you know it's still alive.
>>
>>64037708
>>64037679
But their music was about being angry. It worked a lot better in the darker early 2000s than Blink's very silly music which was 100% rooted in the good-time-fun late 90s.
>>
>>64037686
I honestly think we'll look at Tame Impala in 30 years the same way we look at say, Television or the Smiths now. They were plundering garage rock and 60s pop in a similar way but because the songwriting and guitar playing is really that good, they still sound fresh when you listen to them today. Kevin Parker is simply talented enough to go alongside Verlaine and Marr.
>>
File: 11.jpg (33 KB, 460x307) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
33 KB, 460x307
hey faggots. dad here. at least that's what they call me when i come here.

rock is dead in the mainstream, yes. i don't predict a revival of mainstream rock/metal music, but it isn't completely dead yet.

dadrock's zombie still exists out there on the internet and in very rarely in live venues. the closest thing we still have that's still somewhat relevant and available is stuff like post-hardcore and punk bands, which are also mostly online and occasionally in small venues.

i've already begun the greiving process for dadrock because it's on its deathbed. i'm trying to go to as many concerts as i can afford to before they all die, because the majority of dadrock's greats are either dead or dying by the minute.

Saw Steely Dan, Earth Wind & Fire, and Chicago last summer. I bought tickets to a Guns N' Roses concert in June and a Heart/Joan Jett/Cheap Trick show in September.

dadrock is my dearest friend, and i don't want to see it go.

see you, space cowboy.
>>
>>64037776
Hey, Foreigner were relevant for all of 3-1/2 years and then died once Reagan was president. Blink 182 weren't the first band this happened to.
>>
>>64037842
So were Jefferson Airplane. As soon as the calendar hit January 1, 1970, they were done.
>>
>>64037758

The problem with arpeggiation is that it's basically a staple of midwest emo and the whole emo revival thing, which is basically just as derivative as any other "indie" band nowadays.
>>
>>64037830
I don't understand what's so great about seeing dadrock bands. I watched motorhead in 2012 and they were outperformed by the supporting band Valient Thorr. Some bands are too old.
>>
>>64037776
Hence the PC train, also Korn actually had a more depressed angry to it.

>>64037761
He see's it.

I don't get why this genre is compared to Jazz when they have already diverging patterns of history.

Jazz was limited to analogue and not electric forms. When it became electric, there was no point for it.
EDM is very hard to experiment with because it's computer based. The same note WILL play twice the same way.
Rock is the split between them and that's why it's winding up for another round. Two chords will NEVER sound the same. It's humanised. But at the same time, it can fucked around texturally. Lastly, it has far greater stage presence. People will get sick of DJ's, move the rock, then probably back to DJ's 10 years from now.
>>
>>64033723
The political seriousness of punk in the 80s and the emotional seriousness of grunge on the 90s is what killed the partying rockstar as a cultural phenomenon. In the 80s you still had metal bands living large while punk bitched about Reagan or whatever, but in the 90s nu-metal adopted grunge's grittiness and mopiness. It really says something when the biggest rock bands of the 2000s after the transformation was complete were shit like Linkin Park. Yes, musically it's rock, but the people playing it aren't glamorous hedonistic idols, they're mopey skinny dudes with dorky haircuts.
>>
>>64037830
>the closest thing we still have that's still somewhat relevant and available is stuff like post-hardcore and punk bands, which are also mostly online and occasionally in small venues.
Combine this attitude with indie rock, "impala rock" and the cool 30's depression vibe - bingo, sound that defines a generation.
>>
>>64037897
God, I'm jealous. I fucking love Motorhead.

I guess I might be delusional in thinking they'll sound just as good, but part of me doesn't want to miss it when I have the chance to see them while they're still kicking.
>>
>>64037896
Slow it down, let the effects work on it. Let the reverb ring more. Alter the arpeggio to give it riffy-ness

>grittiness and mopiness
I reckon that can be sexed up a bit.
>>
>>64037875
Airplane were 100% San Francisco hippiedom so of course they weren't going to survive the 60s. Bob Dylan and The Who on the other hand had a message more like:

>60s
"We want to change the world but you longhairs are doing it wrong fuck you guys."
>70s
"Yep, told you so."

So what I'm saying is, the artists who were skeptical about the hippie movement to begin with were the ones who transitioned into the 70s since they were ultimately proven right.
>>
>>64037830
I'm seeing GNR at their first stadium date at Ford field this summer. I already saw Slash with Miles Kennedy a couple years ago, and while it was fun, it will be nothing compared to what I'm expecting for this show. Axl seems like he's still got it, and I don't think I've seen this much hype for a classic rock band tour in a while.
>>
>>64038047
Did you see what became of Jane's Addiction and Stone Temple Pilots?

No wonder Kurt "killed himself"
>>
>>64037897
https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S63767484#p63771558

This is that samefag from last week.
>>
>>64037206
>Think "what sound best captures the mood of today"
something cosmic, individualistic and anti-traditional, but not ironic psych or pussyass new age or some politically enlightened tranny electronics. something with balls.
>>
>>64034100
Literally manic street preachers
>>
>>64038107
So?
>>
>>64038122
it should also be nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humour
>>
>>64033723
2000s scene had crazy-haired fuckers selling out huge venues playing middling music to drown in jailbait groupie pussy, but everyone was too busy shitting on it for the music and image beimg even more garish than hair bands in the 80s that they couldn't see the continuation of the archetype.
>>
>>64038148
yeah, but for real
that's the whole difference
>>
>>64038029
Uh huh. One of the big cultural zeitgeists of the early 70s was post-counterculture letdown which is exactly the context that The Who and Black Sabbath thrived in. Of course by 1975 that message wasn't relevant anymore and they died out.
>>
>>64038122
Arcade Fire?
>>
>>64038122
>cosmic
NO
That's been done to death.

>individualistic and anti-traditional, but not ironic psych or pussyass new age or some politically enlightened tranny electronics. something with balls.
Yes. All guitars sound the same nowadays in the indie scene, punk scene and metal scene.

Shoegaze lacked the balls. It needs some balls.

>>64034100
>a mixture of electronic/live instruments
Might as well be edm. Synths are not cool.
>>
>>64038166
sorry for the memeing your was a good post but I couldn't resist
>>
>This thread

Rock is dead my ass. We just proved it's about to happen.

Dadrock is dead though. So is whatever grunge had.
>>
>>64038107
>being autistic enough to dig into the archives
>>
>>64038173
no no no not enough balls
think of prominent black metal figures as pussies compared to the "new thing"
>>
>>64038224
Sorry I just saw that exact same post a few days ago and decided to expose this spammer.
>>
We stop ridiculing anyone who dares to give a fuck. Post-rock and indie are mired by these detached, snarky twats who think any emotion that's not self-pity is "cheesy" and ridiculous.
>>
>>64038122
I do acoustic guitar playing low tuned grooves with reverbed drenched leads, rattling bass and hella aggressive vox.. I think its the right direction. I do open tuning but keep it heavy. I really do think I have something here that is traditional but updated.
>>
>>64038173
What the hell is badass or edgy about Arcade Fire?
>>
>>64038148
What about optimistic for things that are not in the social norm?

Humour always prevails.
>>
"Originality in music does not exist. After all, there are only 12 notes."

-- Keith Richards
>>
I feel like for a rock band to be famous they have to challenge what is rock and what isn't. I'm gonna use korn as an exampe. They became big because they challenged the roots of rock and did something that rock hadn't heard before. So it wasn't really rock but it was something different.
>>
>>64038262
This.

People should be pissed off, because this world is pissed off.
>>
>>64036585
>Grunge was simple, hard punky rock with almost shoegazey level distortion
Also aside from Nirvana, all the big alternative bands had god-level guitarists like Jerry Cantrell and Mike McCready.

The bands they influenced like Creed had no talent and couldn't do anything but hammer out power chords.
>>
>>64034736
You're right, it's better.
>>
>>64038335
Korn were onto something big actually.

I almost don't consider it rock at all, aside from the instruments. They fucked it so much it barely resembled anything before it.

Pity the singer's too PC.
>>
>>64038347
The creed guitarist is mostly famous for some really cheesy arpeggios though.
>>
>>64038335
Rock per-se was really the boomers' musical movement while punk was Gen Xers' musical movement.
>>
>>64038262
This, we need shit like Dragonforce that makes a point of being as cheesy as it can with as little pitchfork appeal as possible, but that makes a point of rubbong that in everybody's faces instead of just doing its own thing in its inbred power metal/whatever scene. Hipster ironicism and navel-gazing self-reference have such hatred for them bubbling under the surface that they're just waiting for something to go straight up against them and defy them on a stage big enough for the general population to see, and then the dam will completely burst and post-college musical intellectualism will die in a hellfire ten times the size the countercultture perished in.
>>
>>64038347
Nirvana laid down the attitude, got away with the music. I wish they screwed around more with how they played. That's why AiC and Soundgarden were just as important.
>>
>>64034806
FUCKING EXACTLY, I can't understand why people don't get this. Every popular form of rock has always started bubbling in the undergound for a few years before exploding. It's just a matter of time before that happens again, of course it will never be the king genre again but that isn't because rock is dead, it's because with the growing Internet age of music no genre needs to dominate one at a time like before. This is the time to be! We finally are getting to pick instead of having radio and record company's tell us what is popular!
>>
https://lyesofautumn.bandcamp.com/album/opuscule-424

Anyway - the new sounds here you fuckers.
>>
>>64038363
Also during the 90s you had new flavors of guitar music like rap-rock.
>>
>>64038373
If you just pluck arpeggios it's gonna sound stupidly simple and dumb.
Mute them. Get the effects going.

>This, we need shit like Dragonforce that makes a point of being as cheesy as it can with as little pitchfork appeal as possible, but that makes a point of rubbong that in everybody's faces instead of just doing its own thing in its inbred power metal/whatever scene.
DF were too over the top. Never gonna work. It's like noise to me. You need catchier, simpler hooks than that.
>>
Rock and roll is very much alive, and you're all retarded if you can't find it
>>
>>64038410
i believe you anon

let's revive the spirit of rock 'n roll
>>
>>64038418
Rap-rock was a missed opportunity.

They had that weird hip-hop sound to the guitars. Plus the rap was fucking shit.
>>
>>64038414
Literally right here.
>>
File: Total_Efrim.jpg (18 KB, 337x519) Image search: [Google]
Total_Efrim.jpg
18 KB, 337x519
Genre's "die" when they stop innovating or reject innovation. This is why Rock is dead and why it died. The last "big" thing I can think of for rock was Post-rock and that's currently at the height of its popularity with Explosions in the Sky, but that's not going to get huge radio hits.

>>64038381
So, Type O Negative?

>>64038454
It ain't that it's not being made, it's that it's not innovating. I'd love for most music fans to fall in love with sludgey, downtuned doom metal/stoner rock like Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats, but it's not gonna happen.
>>
>>64038192
>NO
>That's been done to death.
i mean, not old synths and spaceship bleeps, but rather a universal feeling, that is what I was trying to say. boring indie and electronic acts seem to be universal as well but in a nihilistic sense, too weak, not all-encompassing and passionate
>>
>>64038394
I think Kurt really did want to stick to his underground noise rock background as much as possible. He thought AIC and Pearl Jam were frauds because they had too much of a stadium rock sound.
>>
>>64038515
>It ain't that it's not being made, it's that it's not innovating. I'd love for most music fans to fall in love with sludgey, downtuned doom metal/stoner rock like Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats, but it's not gonna happen.
This.

I have constantly experimented with similar sounds, but given it more accessibility.
>>
>>64038525
>He thought AIC and Pearl Jam were frauds because they had too much of a stadium rock sound.
He's right though.

Stadium rock is Dadrock.
>>
>>64038515
>It ain't that it's not being made, it's that it's not innovating

That's what I said. Playing imitation Led Zeppelin licks is not making progress and the only fans you'll get are old dadrocker schmendricks like Gene Simmons (who said Tame Impala is his favorite modern band, so go figure).
>>
>>64038525
I still think that if Nirvana had only been say, Dinosaur Jr sized then Kurt would still be alive today.
>>
>>64038525
>>64038562
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nco_kh8xJDs

Alice should have done more 'Would?"s. Instead they did to many "Man in the Box"s
>>
Also
>shoegaze
>atmospheric
This will not work anymore, don't even try it.
There should be something focused, clear, tight, sharp yet powerful. Like a sniper rifle compared to a flamethrower
>>
The next music to take over probably will be a very racist form of hip hop. Rappers will be uncle toms and neo nazis and the swastika will become a cool symbol to wear around.
>>
>>64038562
Not dadrock (which didn't yet exist per-se in the early 90s) but he didn't like stadium rock because it appeals to casual normalfags who just want a big silly shoutalong chorus they can sing while waving a cigarette lighter. All of the critics like Xgau, they didn't like stadium rock either since they always believe rock needs to be as raw and garage-level as possible.

Also AIC and PJ had members who used to be in hair metal bands, so Kurt just thought they were bandwagoners.
>>
>>64038605
I think I got a song like that...

Post it?
>>
>>64033723
He will save it
>>
>>64038641
>>64038605
What's going on in this thread
>>
>>64038641
That's played out now. People only wanna hear some pop hop or electronic rap hybrid.
>>
the next big thing shouldn't talk about politics, just pissed off people with no agenda whatsoever
>>
>>64038654
>Not dadrock (which didn't yet exist per-se in the early 90s)

Yes actually if anything, the alternative rock era is what created dadrock because it removed any remaining cultural relevance that artists from the 60s era had. All the way up to the end of the 80s, the Rolling Stones, Beach Boy, and Paul McCartney could still get their shit played on the radio, but by 1993 they were 100% relegated to the oldies circuit and nobody except nostalgic middle aged retards came to their shows.
>>
>>64038641
>The next music to take over probably will be a very racist form of hip hop. Rappers will be uncle toms and neo nazis and the swastika will become a cool symbol to wear around.
>implying rap music isn't becoming like that already

Kanye is already losing sales from that. Odd Future, ASAP Rocky and co are heading to that category. Still too PC though and too much apathy.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>64038381
>cheesy as it can with as little pitchfork appeal as possible
Ska Punk Revival when?
>>
>>64038690
Probably exactly what OP wanted.
>>
>>64034100
So, a Ween knockoff, pretty much?
>>
>>64038381
>makes a point of being as cheesy as it can with as little pitchfork appeal as possible, but that makes a point of rubbong that in everybody's faces instead of just doing its own thing in its inbred power metal/whatever scene
that was black metal in the 90's
>>
>>64038736
Already hearing that, it's gaining ground.

But it's too revival, not enough cutting edge.

Some parts of the sound is good. Like the little riffs and complexity. Needs to lose the trumpets, gain more "no money, depressed" mood without going "fuck the world". It needs to say "why are doing this to ourselves"
>>
>>64038697
>>64038728
I'm not talking about "snide little racist joke here and there hehe x3" I'm talking moonman only with actual humans
as in, the over all message is "I'm ashamed to be a negro"
>>
>>64038444
I'm just saying power chords weren't his thing, I ain't saying.
>>
>>64038846
Why would anyone wanna listen to that?
>>
>>64038846
>I'm not talking about "snide little racist joke here and there hehe x3" I'm talking moonman only with actual humans
>as in, the over all message is "I'm ashamed to be a negro"
I know. But the "racist" joke needs to be unstumpable. It needs to openly criticise the ignorance of their problems.

t. Someone not entirely white
>>
I remember an old retard boomer on a music forum trying to argue for the awesomeness of Jethro Tull and the rest had to explain to him how dated and non-relevant they sound today.
>>
>>64038876
>I'm just saying power chords weren't his thing, I ain't saying.
Yeah he made single note playing uncool.
>>
>>64038884
Why do kids like anything? because it offends their parents.
>>
>>64033723
>How do we save rock?
From what? People love it like they always have. Ticket sales aren't exactly down. It will always have a massive audience.
>>
>>64033929

Dragged down by the stone much?
>>
>>64038895
Yall gotta listen to my shit man, it's about time a pissed off native american gets some goddamn time in the spotlight.
>>
>>64038932
>From what? People love it like they always have. Ticket sales aren't exactly down. It will always have a massive audience.
If it was ticket sales that were a concern, rather than cultural relevance, then this thread wouldn't exist.

Music is part of ethos. Dadrock is unrepresentative.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.