[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
anxiety/panic attack and music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: index.png (11 KB, 253x199) Image search: [Google]
index.png
11 KB, 253x199
everytime i try to learn to play an instrument, i freak out and have panic attacks. i've tried to play an ocarina, piano, guitar, recorder flute, keyboard, even a diddley bow. none of the instruments i try have a different effect on me. i always end up freaking out and eventually giving up. does anyone else have the same experience? how did you overcome it?
>>
Why specifically did you have a panic attack?

Also, no, but I would get frustrated a lot while learning
>>
>>64026766
>tfw you will never master the diddley bow

literally everybody gets a panic attack when confronted with this feel anon
>>
>>64026677
Maybe you should see a doctor if this is affecting your ability to attain enjoyment from things.
>>
>>64026795

That's silly, at worst you won't be the best in the world. Just take learning in small steps and enjoy the process.
>>
OP here,
i don't know why i would have a panic attack. it's like there was this tension building up inside me and whatever i tried, it didn't go away. i really want to learn to play an instrument, but it's becoming a bit expensive. in one of my panic/anger/whatever-it-is-attacks i broke my ocarina. i also accidentally broke my guitar.

fyi: i am diagnosed with ADD and depression, maybe that has something to do with it.
>>
>>64026904
Most depression is anxiety-based. This combination probably means you feel incompetent often, am I wrong? If that is the case, I suggest you first cure your disorders through meditation (vipassana and metta).

Your self-image issues are being triggered by the failures that inevitably accompany learning to do anything difficult. Build resilience and emotional self-control first.
>>
>>64026904
I'm this anon: >>64027284

I also recommend asking yourself if you don't use the anxiety to justify your failure. If you do, also ask yourself if that is convenient, by which I mean it releases you from the self-imposed obligtation to keep practicing and failing like everyone else.
>>
>>64026677
>i always end up freaking out
In what way? Aren't you alone in a room practicing? its not like you have a crowd of people watching you learn an instrument
>>
>>64027340
thanks. i'l think about it
>>
>>64026677
>everytime i try to learn to play an instrument, i freak out and have panic attacks

LOL wtf did your dad stick a flute in your pussy when you were a kid or something?
>>
>>64027561
nope, but apparently your dad wasn't there to teach you to behave in a thread where someone is asking for advice.
>>
>>64027607
>he thinks people have some obligation to be polite
>>
>>64026677
>play with others freely
>play with others who too can't play, freely
>smoke weed, get psych

or buy a 40 dollar guitar, you can get the money on /b/,
and fucking destroy it
and then burn it.
>>
>>64027729
It costs nothing to be nice, Anon
>>
>>64027561
>>64027729
ouch, the edges are rough on this one
>>
I'm not sure if you're having the same feeling that I have, but I'm learning guitar and I suffer from anxiety in day to day life. I constantly think about how inadequate I am at guitar and how I should've started earlier and all that. but I just keep practicing and enjoying the little steps of progress I make, knowing that in a few years I'll be passable. the best thing to remember is those years are going to pass, regardless if you're practicing or not. so practice. also, I suggest you pick one instrument and one instrument only, and focus on that one. something fairly mainstream like guitar or piano.
>>
>>64026677
all you have to do to be able to play most popular songs on guitar is learn like, four or five chords. don't panic my man.
>>
I've had similar problems in the past, particularly with piano. Eventually I kinda came to the conclusion that if I dread it that much, I don't know if it's worth it to me. I'm a writer, so instead I focused my energy on working on that.
It's still something I'd like to try again at some point, but only when I really want to. (I didn't have any problem learning chanter, though, oddly enough. Got pretty good at it too.)
>>
breathe deeply, brotherman. dont just read this and not do it, actually do it. and for longer than just a minute, 20 minutes, an hour, or a day. do it whenever you encounter troubling thoughts.

anxiety attacks are created by you and the thoughts you entertain. change patterns of thought that spur the attacks. you'll always have invasive thoughts from time to time but you can consciously choose to swat them out of your mind.

realize that you deserve more out of your life than being crippled by anxiety. it's ok to fail and it's ok to be nervous, but its also ok to work little by little to make things easier for you.

good luck
>>
>>64026677
Stop smoking so much weed, dumbass
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.