[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
the great debate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: illinois-age_of_adz.jpg (424 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
illinois-age_of_adz.jpg
424 KB, 1000x500
the great debate
>>
>>64025313
The songwriting is about equal, I prefer the sound design of adz.
>>
>>64025313
Adz has Impossible Soul, but I prefer the overall structure of Illinois... It's a tricky one, anon...
>>
Michigan = Illinois = Adz = C&L

I just can't decide between these
>>
File: Sufjan.jpg (356 KB, 470x586) Image search: [Google]
Sufjan.jpg
356 KB, 470x586
They're both about equal in quality but since Age of Adz is so much more innovative to say I'd probably say it's better. While Illinoise did a lot of standard pop stuff but optimized better while Age of Adz experimented with things like Dissonance and 25 minute songs
>>
carrie and lowell
>>
>>64025364
You could probably take Michigan out of contention.
>>
Both are great albums and among my favorites, but I prefer Age of Adz. It's a bit like Pet Sounds and Smile Sessions. In both cases I prefer the more ambitious and experimental album.
>>
>>64026225
>>64026225
Yeah Michigan is good but it''s nowhere near as good as Illinoise, Adz, Or Carrie and Lowell
>>
I appreciate both and I appreciate Subaru
>>
Illinois > Carrie and Lowell >Age of Adz

Sufjan hasn't made an album that's below a 6 though
>>
>>64025364
I'm not trying to stir anything up but I think C&L is slightly less than all of those honestly.
>>
Michigan.
>>
>>64026236
it's better than C&L
>>
>>64026264
Probably
I never got the hype between C&L. It was way worse than the albums before it
>>
>>64026273
Because it's sad and Sufjan extensively opened up about himself in detail for the first time.

As an album, it's really great but it's worse than any of his other mainstream albums.
>>
>>64026284
Sufjan always had good lyrics, but he also had great instrumentals. C&L was musically boring and I don't get why so many people praise it just because of the honest lyrics. C&L might as well have been a spoken word album, it wouldn't have lost anything.
>>
>>64026409
The thing is, Sufjan even said this. He wasn't trying to make a brilliant album, he just had a shit ton of demos that he made to grieve and a close friend produced and cut it down to an album. he had like 50 different demos apparently.

Sufjan said he had nothing to prove this time around, he wasn't trying to push the genre forward or anything. He did it for himself.

I like the album and at times I think it's beautiful but yea it doesn't even compare to the rest of his albums. And it's not the first time Sufjan has been vunelerable like that either. Seven Swans frankly is a better C&L.
>>
>>64025313
I prefer Age of Adz
>>
Seven Swans>>>the rest
>>
Silver and gold > Age of Adz > Michigan > Enjoy Your Rabbit > All Delighted People > Seven Swans > Illinois > C & L > A Sun Came > Songs for Christmas > The Avalanche
>>
>>64026236
>>64026264
That's enough for me to let Michigan and C&L stay there

>>64026755
Seven Swans is kind of in its own category for me. I love it in a different way than the four above.
>>
http://strawpoll.me/7362225
>>
>>64026835
Move The Avalanche up some and I can respect this a lot. Not exactly my ranking but still one that is actually unique and completely understandable.
>>
>>64027170
Thanks anon
Why are Suffy fans the nicest people on mu?
>>
Age of Adz>>Illinois>All Delighted People>Everything else Suffy has done
>>
>all this lack of Seven Swans

You're just hypebeasts
>>
>>64027599
Because people who heard disononant electropop album or orchestrated indiepop album weren't attracted at all when fans said "this is his gospel folk album"
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.