[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here /studentradio/? What's the scene at your school
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: 1438405783644.png (64 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1438405783644.png
64 KB, 900x900
Who here /studentradio/?
What's the scene at your school like?
Any tips for getting a job DJing?
What kind of music do you play?
>>
Dr. X here. Taking all questions
>>
>tfw small college i just enrolled into hasn't had student radio since 2014
do i resurrect it?
>>
>>64024967
are you in wnyu?
>>
i go to university of oregon, been tryin to get on the radio station for months so i can play some actual patrician music. top album on the station was art angels for weeks. i have a friend who DJs on the station. he thinks the strokes are amazing
>>
>>64026779
I live in Portland, I find Portland and Eugene people are generally pretty plebby. Living in Portland is kind of like living in Reddit
>>
>>64024967

I've always wondered when I'd see another person from my college here. Guess that day has finally come.
>>
>>64026839
Portland here. I don't think it's any more pleb than other cities but we get such a reputation for being so "weird" (idk how else to say it other than pointing to Portlandia) that you would expect better taste.

As for Eugene, I have a friend who goes there who says it has a lot of poseurs and peoples who think they are hot shit but end up liking super entry level stuff.

It's not so much that they're especially pleb cities (they might be slightly better than most cities), but they're not as patrician as they hype themselves up to be.
>>
>>64027141
this post embodies the reason I don't want to live in Portland
>>
>>64024967
I co-host The Drone Zone on KRUI weekly on Thursday nights.

Iowa City's like "the Paris of the Midwest" we have a pretty decent music scene here. We even have a noise scene. KRUI is one of the largest student orgs on campus. Our FY2015 budget was pretty close to 60 grand, actually.

Be excellent in training, show interest and participate. Get to know your directors, get to know the rest of the music on the station (my radio is strictly alternative with an emphasis on "indie rock"), work in multiple departments (I'm on-air, underwriting, and finance), and have a great pitch ready for your show and articulate examples and reasons why your show would benefit listeners and the station.
I play ambient, drone, noise, ambient, house, IDM, etc. I actually get a caller every once in a while that tells me they're glad there's a show dedicated to this kind of music. Maybe a fifth of my music comes from bandcamp threads on /mu/ and from local artists.
>>64025681
Yes
>>
>>64027011
Half of /fa/ goes to nyu anon what are you talking about.
>>
Anyone here know anything about fordhams student radio? I'm starting next year and I want to DJ
>>
>>64027288
>Yes.
how do i go about doing that?
>>
I do college radio for FIU in Florida, my show is space age themed. I'm currently an electronic music director at it and handle any RPM releases to go on rotation.

We're really into burger records for some reason (not me,) and we're about to lose a bunch of our hip hop DJ's because of graduation.

My biggest tip is having a strong application that shows how vast your taste is from a contemporary stand point. If I were to do hiring that's what I'd want to see the most, because rotation might be limited to just big indie rock bands and such.
>>
>>64027419
e mail people
>>
>>64027419
KRUI anon here.
What the other dude said, email people.
You'll have to obtain broadcasting equipment, automation software, an antenna, broadcasting rights, develop a budget and a businessplan. Look into Student Govt funding and underwriting funding. Develop criteria for hiring/recruiting staff, training, learning all of the regulations about broadcasting and what you can and cannot do with spending (it's crazy). It would be a huge undertaking, but there's university staff in finance and student org-specific offices that should be able to help you.
>>
>>64027011
>>64027293
i go to a fucking engineering school and i know at least 15 people irl who go on /mu/
>>
>>64027293
I meant on /mu/. whenever the college threads show up, i browse to see the responses and i haven't see nyu till date.
>>
I've done radio stuff for my uni for the last year, I actually just joined an international music show today, my first show is this weekend, should I post it for /mu/ to listen to?

my first show will be all krautrock i think
>>
>>64024967
i go to pace and host the radio on wednesdays
we play mainly accessible /mu/ core stuff

also a special Most Excellent-edition of Russian Roulette but instead of a loaded gun we use an iPod with Panic at the Disco's new album on shuffle: twice as dangerous
>>
If u really DJ at wnyu say hi to Tim Sweeney for me
>>
>>64024967
>>64026085
>>64027579
sup, nerds. what other wnyu dork goes on this terrible board?
>>
Anyone /Berklee/ here?
>>
>>64027666
no thanks, satan
>>
if you actually work at wnyu say what's up to Devin for me
>>
>>64024967
I live with a DJ but all he plays is EDM and Grime it's boring as fuck
>>
>>64024967
if you actually want tips, wnyu is hecka easy to DJ for 'cause the .org schedule has so many holes in it, and actually broadcasting to FM is overrated (and most of the FM programs are super lame anyway)
>>
>>64027734
please
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 640x1136
>>64027758
>people enjoy grime being played on college radio

disgusted desu
>>
>>64027711
oh i (>>64027579) am not in wnyu. i know people who are/were though. do you know vj?
>>
File: 1457984972256.gif (631 KB, 440x247) Image search: [Google]
1457984972256.gif
631 KB, 440x247
>>64027807
Anon, come here. Sit down, I have something to tell you. Yeah, yeah, it won't take too long, but it's important for you to understand. Anon, sometimes some people really care about things and want to show them to other people and that's nice, but most of the time, others truly don't give a fuck, so stop.
>>
>>64027796
whoa fm radio dj here take that back
>>
Who here /uga/ aka who here /plebnproud/
>>
Any uw Madison students here? How do I get into the student radio staff
>>
>>64027141
/austin/ here and we get the "weird" vibe too but I think the goal is to become more pleb as I see more chain stores pop up where the "weird" stuff failed.
>>
>>64028366
BTW anyone else here /ut@a/
>>
File: logo.png (15 KB, 293x190) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
15 KB, 293x190
WHRW, Binghamton U student radio here.
>radio scene is huge and vibrant, couple hundred people. most people are pop punk poseurs but it's not bad, everyone is generally chill
> show up and ask how to get involved. I had to go through a semester of training but now I host a talk show where I review albums with friends and my radio show where I play music and have fun. Overall totally worth, made lots of friends here
> Soul, Jazz, Synthpop, jam type bands like Stereolab and Broadcast
>>
(>>64027141)here

>>64028366
>>64028385
I'm not at ut but I was good friends with Haruka Weiser (we went to hs in a suburb of Portland together). She said the music scene there was great. I'm jealous because there doesn't feel like there is a lot in Portland. Hope everyone at ut is doing well.

I've noticed too in Portland that the only "weird" places that stay are the ones that become really mainstream (ie start as a hipster spot, become trendy and then become really popular). I think it's because the cool areas are the cheap ones, but once it's cool it's too expensive for anyone other than chain stores.
>>
>>64027318
How does "DJing" work exactly? Do you just set a playlist for your time slot or do you talk and stuff? How competitive is it to get a spot?
>>
>>64029556
I just realized that your post said you were starting next year, would anyone else know?
>>
File: nd_blue_seal_.jpg (57 KB, 200x197) Image search: [Google]
nd_blue_seal_.jpg
57 KB, 200x197
How's the radio station at pic-related?
>>
>>64029028
Where do you go to school anon? I have an offer from Lewis and Clark but I don't know if I should take it or not.
>>
>>64029615
Probs not seeing as a huge earthquake is going to destroy the entire pacific northwest at any given moment
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.