[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Autism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: Tool_-_Lateralus.jpg (93 KB, 400x355) Image search: [Google]
Tool_-_Lateralus.jpg
93 KB, 400x355
Autism
>>
>>64023889
its a gewd album 2bh

porabola and reflection are kewl
>>
>>64023889
There is literally nothing wrong with Tool
>>
It's the fans that are autistic, not the music itself.
>>
They would be the goat band if they existed in the center of the earth and nobody ever heard of them
>>
>>64024801
>muh mysticism
>muh numerology
>muh cosmic consciousness

But whatever, Aenima was pretty decent
>>
>>64023889
Tool is like when you think you're in there with some girl you meet at a party, but you find her an hour later making out with that guy who told her all this bullshit about fractals and sacred geometry and you knew he didn't really know what he was talking about but he knew just enough to sound somewhat interesting, and when you called him out on it he said something like "don't worry man, just look inside yourself and you'll get there" and she smiled knowingly at him and you went home frustrated, still confident that you're the better man but having failed to prove it.
>>
>>64024853
How fucked is it that you gotta insult shit before you can praise it? Its like endemic on this board.
>>
>>64024853
do people that make retarded posts like this realize how much of a prick they end up looking like?
>>
>>64024942
Pretty much. Everyone here is afraid to be open about enjoying things that they think might be perceived as immature, or unsophisticated, or something. Yet they all agree to praise Anco, kpop, Kanye, Death Grips, and whatever other shit pitchfork tells them to. And they think Tool fans are the ones who are autistic.
>>
>>64024942
>praise it
I hardly praised it. I used to listen to it quite a bit... when I was in middle-school, circa 96. The musicianship is admirable and Maynard's voice is amazing, but as far as the "content" is concerned, I find the focus on mysticism to be a bit juvenile and contrived.
>>
>>64025015
Its probably an age thing. I don't use music to prop up my social life/rank so music is music. I think its the reason contrarians exist though. You gotta hear an argument against the tide sometimes to get out of your comfort zone.
>>
>>64025025
I think saying its decent counts as praise..but at least its sandwiched between statements of superiority now.
>>
>>64025015
>>64025059
So you're essentially acknowledging the fact that Tool is unsophisticated music made by entertainers...
>>
>>64025086
uh, no.
>>
Tool's pretty good IMO, though the lyrics can be a little too preachy/tin-foil-hat for me. Lateralsu is a solid album.

Then there's also the fanbase but I don't think anyone should let that influence their enjoyment (or lack thereof) of the music.
>>
>>64025086
The fuck does foe-sistuh-cation have to do with anything? Status don't mean shit when it comes to music, breh.
>>
>>64025104
It's ok, anon, I like A LOT of shitty stuff... but I at least have the cognizance to recognize that it's shitty

Vid very related. Lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkr_7hpcG-w

... and this is about the rank that i'd place Tool
>>
>>64023889
Bland butt-prog for pseudo intellectuals.
>>
>>64025172
There's that superiority complex again. That's also endemic on this board.
>>
>>64025172
nigger what the fuck are you even talking about. lmao
>>
>>64025172
>I like A LOT of shitty stuff
you, i like you
>>
>>64025205
I think he's saying he's "open minded™" and will tolerate tool as long as everyone knows that its no where near his love of "real™" music.
>>
>>64025185
>superiority
When you grow up, you'll begin to care less about what people think about the music that you listen to. I don't know how old you are, but when I was in gradeschool-college, it was a very defining feature for me (as for most people who aren't just passive listeners). Then I became an oldfag loser, browsing imageboards, and suddenly I stopped giving an ounce of a shit.

If you can't handle dissenting opinions without whining about pretentiousness, I suggest you stay off the internet.

I hope that wasn't too superior for you
>>
>>64025249
I mean you do come off as a major asshole though.
>>
>>64025249
you're not fooling anyone. i mean seriously, look at your post and actually read it aloud >>64025172
>>
>>64025172
change your values my man. if you like it, it's not shitty
>>
>>64025262
I think I might be

>>64025285
OK, just a sec...

Alright, I completed the task. Now what?
>>
not autism, acid
>>
>>64025321
by what constructed measure do you think tool or hannah diamond are "shitty", even?
>>
>>64025321
Autism bro, you might have it.
>>
>>64025303
When I say "shitty", I'm obviously not implying that the intrinsic value of the music is of lesser quality than other music. I'm merely suggesting that when you subjectively compare the artistic value of Tool to something like, say, Leonard Cohen, he makes them look like angsty schoolchildren.
>>
>>64025357
Sweet, broseph

Autsm-bucks, here I come
>>
>>64025381
does he really? how so? because imo he's a hack, go find a better example. and what exactly do you mean by "artistic value" anyways?
>>
>>64025381
You'd think someone with an ear like Cohen would acknowledge the musical proficiency of the band, with ease,, most likely. It's a shame you can't. It also seems you're using Cohen as an idol of superiority much in the same way I'm using him as an idol of respect. I think your proposed all acceptance of music is a ruse that you backed yourself into when we started getting further into our dialogue with you.

Just say you're an elitist prick. It ain't hard and sure is easier. Be openly snobby. It'll cut discourse down quite a bit.
>>
>>64025451
Also I'd like to apologize for my flawed grammer in my response, I'm working on a tablet that makes reviewing what I've written difficult. I'm sure you'll understand.
>>
>>64025177
this
>>
>>64023889
Great thread lad
>>
>>64025419
By "artistic value", I mean composing music and lyrics that are ostensibly derived from genuine inspiration; whereas Tool, in my humblest of opinions, make a very transparent attempt to create mysterious and spooky rock music to perform during an entertaining spectacle.

>>64025451
>acknowledge the musical proficiency
As I've already made note of

>all acceptance of music, a ruse
I think that's a bit of a misrepresentation of what I implied; however, I'm able to discuss music on more than one level... and the current level seems to be a bit knuckle-dragging at the moment.

I really didn't want to get into a "my band rules and your band drools" argument lol
>>
>>64025552
alright. for me, simply whatever drives the art form or a style further would be artistically valuable but many people throw that term, or merit, around like they don't seem to know what they wanna say, or don't clarify what they actually mean, cuz it's pretty nebulous
>derived from genuine inspiration
this is honestly not something that i actively care for. frankly the obsession with (perceived) authenticity kind of makes me sick, though i guess it can and does affect the final product
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 500x455) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 500x455
I'll just leave this here...
>>
>>64025552
You just autismed right passed the actual function of music breh. And you have been more or less doing the my band is better thing this whole time, you just implied it rather than stating it openly.

Music, aside from personal expression, which it should clearly be seen as happening within the band, is a form of entertainment you autistic dolt.
>>
>>64025381
>Cohen
Just like Dylan literally anyone who makes a cover of one of his songs creates a superior rendition.
>>
>>64024963
do musicians that make pretentious bullshit like Tool realize how much of a prick they end up looking like?
>>
>>64025626
>cause its pretty nebulous
Of course it's nebulous. I don't feel the need to preface every opinion with "IMO" or "Even though it's subjective". Any artistic critique is bound to be abstract and subjective, and therefore, often ambiguous.

My problem with criticizing something on the grounds that it simply "lacks artistic merit", is that it doesn't say much to defend the assertion. I think I've stated relatively clearly why, IMO, Tool lacks it.

As for "authenticity", if that's what I'm looking for, then it's obviously essential. If I'm listening to some schlocky metal or dance music, I'm able to disregard it.
>>
>>64025713
They give near zero interviews, never star in their own videos, the lead singer sits out of the spotlight and their songs play unedited. The fuckers seem to lack the whole pretending we're better than we are aspect of being pretentious.
>>
Tool is great if you don't look too hard into all of the symbolism for the sake of pretentiousness.
>>
>>64024922
Hahah fuck is this pasta?
>>
>>64025513
>>64025177
referring to something as pseudo-intellectualism when it has nothing to do with pseudo-intellectualism is abso-fucking-lutely hilarious

please learn what that means before using it when trying to be condescending
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.