[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Swans and Death Grips, two of arguably the greatest bands of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 7
File: GlowingMan's Bottomless Pit.jpg (322 KB, 1934x957) Image search: [Google]
GlowingMan's Bottomless Pit.jpg
322 KB, 1934x957
Swans and Death Grips, two of arguably the greatest bands of the 2010's, are both releasing their potentially final album within the same year.

Which will be /mu/'s AOTY, though?

The Glowing Man or Bottomless Pit?
>>
>>64017446
>Swans and Death Grips, two of arguably the greatest bands of the 2010's
>greatest bands of the 2010's
Man, assuming this is true, it really speaks to the lack of quality of 2010s bands.
>>
>>64017446
My money's on The Glowing Man.
Plus, going to see them in Minneapolis in July. Stoked
>>
>>64017446
Bottomless Pit isn't gonna be their last
>TGM > BP
>>
>>64017446
Swans isn't breaking up, Gira is just going to take it in another direction.
>>
>>64017446
I'm excited for both, but Swans are almost certainly gonna blow DG out of the water.
>>
>>64017487
same, except ill be seeing them live in september
>>
>>64017446
>two of arguably the greatest bands of the 2010's

>Swans and Death Grips
>good

>SWANS
>2010'S

/mu/ is dead.

kill yourselves.
>>
File: Blackstar_album_cover.jpg (22 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Blackstar_album_cover.jpg
22 KB, 500x500
Still won't top this.
>>
death grips wins!
>>
not listening to Glowing Bottoms and spankcore exclusively
>>
Death Grips no contest. I mean swans are way past their prime
>>
>>64017538
Last two songs are shit
>>
>>64017538
Get off Bowie's decayed cock. Swans is gonna have AOTY
>>
>>64017525
It's not like they haven't been active in this decade, and they released The Seer, one of their most solid albums (imo) in 2012. I still like their work in the 80's the best, though
>>
Swans will be a possible AOTY and I have a feeling Death Grips isn't gonna be that good. And even if BP is up to Death Grips standards it still won't be able to touch a good Swans album
>>
>>64018186
hes cremated he ash cock
>>
>>64018186
>swans fans
>>
>>64018421
bruh have you even listened to new mind
>>
>two of arguably the greatest bands of the 2010's
LOL
>>
>>64018449
yeah beach house are totes better amirite
>>
>>64018477
wow you sure owned me
>>
>>64018495
tell me some better bands pls. i wanna listen to good shit.
>>
>>64018186
P4k will never give a guilty rapist AOTY
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 400x462
>>64017493
>>64017519
>>64018222
>mfw all these swans defenders
Shouldnt you tryhard edgelords be off swinging replica blades around in a park or something

Swans has been fucking unlistenable for almost 40 years get over yourselves

Even pitchfork dickrides them now listening to swans doesnt make you a special snowflake anymore

Give up your dadrock garbage already posers DG is and has been far superior
>>
>>64017538
But Bowie is not part of this era...
>>
Who gives a shit about Pitchfork?
>>
File: Cover.jpg (281 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
281 KB, 1000x1000
>Two of the greatest bands of the 2010's

Lmao, fucking hang yourself you pleb fuck, no band will ever match the genius that is Kevin and the Bikes
>>
>>64018539
from the 10's? well there's japanese breakfast, horse jumper of love, dean blunt, and james ferraro, off the top of my head. you're welcome hun ;)
>>
>>64018606
no probs. will check this shit out.
>>
>>64018606
Sweet memestep dude
>>
I wish it wasn't cool to shit on Swans and DG now actually sucks pretty hard. Mu knows they're both great it just became cool to act like you utterly hate em
>>
File: 1347056974664.jpg (5 KB, 186x188) Image search: [Google]
1347056974664.jpg
5 KB, 186x188
>>64018697
>listening to a rapist
>>
>>64018697
I think you got your artists backwards there bud!
>>
>>64018736
but to be kind is better than almost everything pre children of god
>>
>>64018579
>DG fan criticizing Swans
If his isn't bait, it's the most autistic thing I've seen on this website, and not surprising in the slightest coming from a Death Grips fan who can't help but spout memes like edgy, dadrock, and p4k. I'd ask you for legitimate criticism, but it's getting late and I know you have school tomorrow
>>
>>64017509
Yeah, he said "this iteration of swans" right?
>>
>>64018766
Hot Head is the best track DG has ever made

But like DG blowing expectations out of the water and releasing the only music thats actually fucking worth listening to is like, becoming routine
>>
>>64018786
>memes like edgy, dadrock, and p4k
None of these are "memes" newfag
>>
>>64018786
its all two groups of idiots who probably enjoy both groups just shitting at each other back and forth for no reason because this is 4chan and people just like to argue
>>
>>64018844
They're buzzwords, which can be a bi-word for memes since the term has lost all meaning. And even if they aren't they're not actual criticisms either.
>>
>>64018951
>They're buzzwords
Buzzword is a fucking buzzword
>which can be a bi-word for memes
Wtf are you talking about. This is a fucking 4chan argument you dont have to get into chomskian linguistic theory over internet posts.
>they're not actual criticisms
Yes they are. What isn't a criticism is you calling me autistic.
>>
>>64017446
>Swans and Death Grips
>Greatest of 10's
Why, because of their meme's on mu? from fantano? yr gay dude and I hope you know your the reason mu is dying.
>>
>>64018588
Bowie has been part of every era since he began making music.
He hasn't been "cutting edge" for decades.
Yet everybody still listened to him and because of that he retained modest relevancy for decades.
He is legendary.
>>
>>64019035
Well, I wasn't actually criticizing anything, and I won't criticize DG because I actually somewhat enjoy their music. But what you posted was so far from legitimate criticism it was ridiculous. "Edgelords" is just making fun of the listener, calling them dadrock is a joke, and you only do it because of their long career, but is Swans 80's No-wave/Noise Rock phase at all comparable to Dadrock like AC/DC or whatever? And the call to p4k is meaningless because not many people here actually care what they think.

I mean we'll see when they come out, but Swans' best is much better than DG best, but I respect if you think otherwise
>>
Is it bad if I didn't know Bottomless Pit could be their last album
>>
I hope y'all know that Bowie was actually influenced by Swans on the new record. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOGPDAFTLQY
There's no way this shit isn't informed by To Be Kind.
>>
>>64019186
>"edgelords" is making fun of the listener
And by extension the band for making music that literally only strives to make people as uncomfortable as possible to the point that they can only enjoy it semi-masochisically
>calling them dadrock is a joke
Its calling them out of touch and no longer capable of making music that's culturally relevant because gira probably thinks that "smartphones are shortening our attention spans" or some other lame ass old guy opinion just reupholstered with edgier language
>and to call them p4k is meaningless because not many people here actually care what they think.
Not true. More people care than dont I promise you.

Keep listening to garbage
>>
>>64019306
>Swans are out of touch
Are you kidding? Have you ever, ever listened to Swans? They had the most seamless crossing of the millennium of any 20th century act. Listen to their debut and their most recent album and you'll easily be able to see how they evolved.

>semi-masochistically
That's only their early no-wave, and if people like that, who are you to judge? Swans is nowhere near as gritty and violent as it used to be, and if you actually knew what you were talking about, you would know this.

I'm really surprised a Death Grips fan is calling a different act "edgy" since that's generally what DG and it's fans are called. It seems to me you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about, but still I respect your opinions.
>>
>>64019191
well, there's not really any solid evidence of it being their last, but since PTB was supposed to be their last, it's not really that much of a stretch to say that BP could really be their final album.
>>
>>64019481
If I actually have no idea what I'm talking about then you shouldnt respect my opinions

Yes death grips are edgy but some edgy is good, swans problem is that they overdo it by fucking leagues and you get atonal garbage with lyrics that sound like shit GG allin would write if he were unbearably pretentious
>who are you to judge
I'm judging because I feel that swans music has always been more about telling people you listen to it than it has been about the actual music
>listen to their debut and their most recent album
No thank you. Ive already wasted enough of my time with swans.
>>
>>64019591
lmao swans aren't atonal, what are you on about. the only atonal stuff they ever did was like, the first two studio albums.
>>
>>64019615
IDK i tried to get through the seer and it was pretty fucking grating

Maybe not atonal but beyond anything i have the patience for
>>
>>64019680
well fair enough i guess. sucks that your interactions with swans fans have been negative, but personally I do truly love and enjoy their music.
>>
>>64019747
th-thanks
>>
>>64019591
If you really believe that everybody who listens to Swans does it for the image, your probably just projecting what you worry you do onto us, or you think we're all suspender, filth-t shirt wearing hipsters, which isn't true. I really don't see how Swans overdo it, as a lot of there lyrics during the 80's were about greed, which I think is pretty comparable to DG. If your unwilling to listen, then your right. I don't respect your opinion.

>>64019680
If you can't even have the patience to listen to an album, you have absolutely no place to compare. I've listened to every DG album, and I can say that in my opinion, they are not as good as Swans. If you had actually listened to a substantial amount of Swans' catalog, I'd be fine if you thought the contrary. But you listen to parts of a few albums, decide it's "atonal and grating" and call everyone who likes them edgy plebs? What possessed you to do that? I'm sorry if I come off as pretentious or a hipster or whatever to you, but I truthfully would be fine with your opinions if they weren't unbacked and hostile for no reason
>>
>>64017446
>SWANS
>2010s

The fuck you smoking anon?
>>
>>64019825
I mean I love Swans, but c'mon, if you don't like them you're not gonna want to sit through their 10 hour long double albums with a fuckin 50 minute song thrown in the middle.
>>
>>64019866
>10 hour long double albums with a fuckin 50 minute song thrown in the middle

this is a really funny exaggeration
>>
>>64019866
Alright, I guess you're right about that. Still, though, there early stuff doesn't have anything like that, and that's what I listen to from them most often
>>
>>64019916
they're past three albums combined are like 6 hours long, that's longer than everything radiohead have done in like, the last decade
>>
>>64019953
>their past three albums combined are like 6 hours long

My Father: 45mins
The Seer: 2hrs
TBK: 2hrs

That's 4hrs 45min, not 6hrs

Also did you really just pick a band known for being extremely slow with the rate they release new music at?
>>
ITT: teenagers who have never listened to actual drone or Hawkwind who think what Swans has been up to is some next level unheard of sound

It's just the jams that Hawkwind did meets noise rock. The logical end to their sound. Too bad Gira's lyrics are really taking a nosedive
>>
>>64020027
I was including the glowing man because the tracklist is out already.
anyway swans make extremely long albums. obviously if you don't like their sound listening to two entire hours of it with single songs that could be a single EP isn't going to change your mind.
>>
>>64020040
ITP: teenager who has never listened to a single Swans album other than TBK and maybe The Seer

>>64020080
But the album isn't. That statement is only valid the moment it releases.

I didn't know Neo-Swans was the only Swans
>>
>>64018579
>Swans has been fucking unlistenable for almost 40 years get over yourselves
you shouldn't be calling anyone a pleb
>>
>>64020040
>Thread is about Swans and DG
>anon gets mad that people are talking about Swans and DG
besides I'm a fan of drone and have never considered Swans to be drone
>>
>>64020142
I'm not upset, i'm just perturbed by the level of discourse

And they're absolutely drone rock at this point
>>
>>64019825
>if they weren't unbacked and hostile for no reason
Im a jaded militant death grips fan
>But you listen to parts of a few albums, decide it's "atonal and grating" and call everyone who likes them edgy plebs
Ive listened to enough swans album that im comfortable saying im thoroughly disinterested in anything they produce. I dont remember what albums ive listened to other than the seer, filth, and i think one other early album that people have told me isnt as good as some of their others. That was 4 or 5 years ago and i have had absolutley 0 interest in revisiting any of their music and didnt listen to TBK at all.

But you should note that generally speaking i fucking hate all the music i listen to
>>
>>64020183
>at this point
Sure, let's ignore the rest of the band's 40 year discography.
>>
>>64020183
>drone rock
I've never described them as this, but I understand with how repetitive they can get. Anyways, there's a whole lot more reasons to listen to Swans other than the drone/post rock like the no-wave and the gothic rock.

>>64020193
Well, I just hope you find some music that you enjoy for yourself, anon
>>
>>64020193
listen to "feel happiness" from the live album swans are dead, and "new mind" from the studio album children of god. best swans songs right there.
>>
>>64020277
>find some music that you enjoy for yourself, anon
I do too

It happens maybe biannually if im lucky
>>
>>64020289
I didn't know this was shit opinions general
Neither of those are even the best songs on their respective albums
>>
>>64020308
what's your favorite song from children of god?
>>
>implying anyone on this board listened to swans pre-seer
>implying they didn't reach full meme status when they got tens and a 9 from melon and p4k for TBK
the only time swans was ever mentioned was in the token post rock discussion thread which none of you ever posted in years ago. We all know you fucks fell for the meme when melon gave tbk a ten
>>
>>64020348
Either the title track, Beautiful Child or Like a Drug.
New Mind is a fantastic song but by no means is it the best
>>
>>64017446
You do know how old swans are correct?
>>
>>64020705
>>64019842
>>64017525
they are making music post-2010, hence they are a band in the 2010's

is it really that hard to wrap you head around?
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 500x500
um, HY!£UN35 is gonna be aoty, right now it's currently SS3
>>
>>64018561
>baseless accusation from bipolar bitch
>guilty
Lmao
>>
>>64021088
>not Deak so far
>implying Young Thug is good
>>
>>64021003
but they're post-2010 output is objectively shit
>>
>>64018579
>Swans has been fucking unlistenable for almost 40 years get over yourselves
How can one man be so wrong?
>>
>>64017446
Is there any real reason to believe BP will be the final DG album?
>>
every album is a band's potentially final album
>>
>>64018579

>mfw all these swans defenders
Shouldnt you tryhard edgelords be off swinging replica blades around in a park or something

/thread
>>
>>64018606
>james ferraro
>best artists from the 10s

jesus christ dude
>>
>>64020426
Why does it matter when people discovered them?
>>
>>64017486
he speak tha tru tru
death grips is amazing but swans sucks ass
>>
>>64017486
no, just means your taste is shit. plen
>>
>>64018588
>But Bowie is not part of this era...

Neither Swans.
The real Swans were the ones of the 80s and 90s.
>>
File: nuvw6Omw.jpg (52 KB, 592x444) Image search: [Google]
nuvw6Omw.jpg
52 KB, 592x444
>death grips
>one of the greatest bands of the 2010's
>>
>>64019162

lmao Bowie fans are hilarious

Bowie was never cutting edge.
>>
>>64021563

>DG fans calling Swans fans edgy

pot calling kettle black
>>
>>64018715
TUMBLR GET OUT
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.