[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/classical/ - Total Serialism Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 7
File: homepage_large.242c71fd.jpg (122 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.242c71fd.jpg
122 KB, 319x319
Hey /classical/ so my music history textbook is biased as fuck against total serialism and I wrote a reply to the question on our homework:

>What kinds of difficulties do the infinite variety of extended techniques raise for composers and performers in the 20th century?

Referring to a portion of the text that says that, since Total Serialism is so exact in its intentions, it is anti-expression and anti-performer and that it's a good thing the composers like Babbitt and Boulez abandoned it.

Anyways the reply is here, let me know what you think, what could be changed, etc.

https://mega.nz/#!aNxG2QyA!TOEGIi1wjWV_PYRCuVs5pT6HLdWCgiSKQkNkGNy-UZk
>>
anyone
>>
>>64015813
>>64016010
Do you really think anyone here actually listens to music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V-qmC6xUW8
>>
>>64015813
I can't access the reply but bump. Is it good or bad?
>>
>>64016153
Yes. This is /mu/. Most people here listen to music.
>>
>>64016169
I’m not going to lie I’m not a fan of this book telling me that Total Serialism is a musically bankrupt musical style. Sure: the music is more difficult to execute and requires more precise execution of a composer’s ideas. But to claim this leaves no room for performer preference is, I think, very closedminded. Now, certainly for Stockhausen and perhaps others (that I’m as of now not aware of) there were demands *from the composer* of exact adherence to the score. But then again, even for Stockhausen you are not required to perform his music if you don’t like it. It’s clear that he intended it as a total expression of his intent, not to be varied upon. If one doesn’t like that intent, they can ignore it. <author> does not talk at length about Goethe’s oppression against reinterpretation or otherwise Romantic settings of his writings; why then lament Total Serialists doing something similar?
In sum, the idea that the performers must limit themselves is according to purely the performers themselves. I have not performed a serial piece yet, but I have performed a piece by Elliott Carter, Gra. I took liberties with the pacing of the work in order to convey a musical affect that I thought would be personally more effective. Would Elliott Carter be pleased with my performance? Probably not: but would Beethoven have been pleased with the performers across time who vary his dynamics, tempi, or other stylistic content to a ludicrous extent? Surely he would not have loved Brendel, Pogorelich, Backhaus, or others with the same intensity? Surely he would have preferred a more exact interpretation to what he was feeling in the work? This is how I see Total Serialism: less a “one and done” for how to perform the music, more of a total extension of the composer’s will.
>>
>>64016342
That's very well written but I don't agree with the message. If you keep taking liberties eventually you are left with muddied source material. As far as expressing your beliefs, it is very good.
>>
Bump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BYWW8eF8Ao
>>
File: Aaron-Copland.jpg (39 KB, 618x463) Image search: [Google]
Aaron-Copland.jpg
39 KB, 618x463
>>64016847
Forgot pic.
>>
>>64016342
Well written and while I agree with most of what you say, serialism is intended to be played exactly how it was written
>>
File: milton-friedman.gif (91 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
milton-friedman.gif
91 KB, 600x400
>>64015813
Is this Milton Friedman? He looks just like him.
>>
>>64016521
A fair point though I think dumb ideas deserve to be heard nonetheless
>>
>>64016916
Yes and Monteverdi intended L'Orfeo to be performed a la Harnoncourt's recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GrnwzEhi_E

What a sad life it would be to be stuck with the composer's intended, shitty instruments though!
>>
>>64015813
sounds like taruskin. he's a total fuckboy
>>
>>64017031
Why be rude? I didn't mock you and thought it was well written; I just didn't agree with the idea. I didn't mean to mock it.
>>
>>64017717
Huh? I'm not being rude. You say:
>If you keep taking liberties eventually you are left with muddied source material.
I see the problem: i misinterpreted what you were saying. I thought you were just saying not all interpretations are valid or something.

I think it's always important to have the Landowska's versus the Gould's versus the Richter's etc. It doesn't muddle Bach in my mind to have all this, it vitalizes him.
>>
>>64017974
Oh okay. That makes sense. I think recordings that take liberties are very valid and sometimes even do interesting things. I just usually prefer to keep the recordings close to source material. Many of the changes are interesting though. Overall, you wrote a very good reply and I hope all goes well. Also by muddied I meant stray from the source material. I didn't mean it derogatorily.
>>
>>64018097
>Also by muddied I meant stray from the source material. I didn't mean it derogatorily.
Sure I get what you mean: if anything can be done to deviate then what really of the original matters?
In the end it's clear we both know our stuff. What's more important is that this gets discussed in class, so hopefully not everyone goes away with the impression "Total Serialism was a mistake."
>>
File: 2-bartok[1].jpg (127 KB, 800x1269) Image search: [Google]
2-bartok[1].jpg
127 KB, 800x1269
>This deeply researched biography of Béla Bartók (1881–1945) provides a more comprehensive view of the innovative Hungarian musician than ever before. David Cooper traces Bartók’s international career as an ardent ethno-musicologist and composer, teacher, and pianist, while also providing a detailed discussion of most of his works. Further, the author explores how Europe’s political and cultural tumult affected Bartók’s work, travel, and reluctant emigration to the safety of America in his final years.

>Cooper illuminates Bartók’s personal life and relationships, while also expanding what is known about the influence of other musicians—Richard Strauss, Zoltán Kodály, and Yehudi Menuhin, among many others. The author also looks closely at some of the composer’s actions and behaviors which may have been manifestations of Asperger syndrome.

Was it autism?
>>
>>64018581
I've always felt Bartok was a Beta autist of some description.
>>
>>64017145
I like how those shitty instruments sound desu
>>
Does anyone know any new composer who were influenced by or similar to Feldman? Also, is there any identifiable trend in new music at the moment?
>>
>>64019449
They're OK but even Jordi Savall had the good sense to change instrumentation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mD16EVxNOM
>>64019458
OK some things:
You bring up Feldman only because you found him on /mu/ or RYM, and aren't earnestly approaching classical music. I could provide you with one or two composers explicitly taking after Feldman but it would be dishonest since that's the least interesting music today.
>>
>>64016244
No, they shitpost about album covers.
>>
>>64020113
Well, I try to post about music. Most of /Classical/ is pretty well informed.
>inb4 shoo poly
>>
>>64019625
>You bring up Feldman only because you found him on /mu/ or RYM, and aren't earnestly approaching classical music.

[citation needed]
>>
>>64020258
not him, but we studied plenty of feldman scores in our composition classes. feldman is surely a substantial composer.
>>
>>64020446
I think he's agreeing that the first guy thinks if you like a meme, you're just parroting what others say and he was disagreeing.
>>
Hi I need help;

What Montervdi piece do you think best shows him as the transitional figure between renaissance & baroque music? Considering Vespers of 1610 but I feel it's a bit too late to really fit into that. I may also just go with l'orfeo because why not.

(I'm making a list)

thanks ahead of time : 0
>>
>>64020769
oh vespers is actually pretty early. My mistake, haven't gone into Monteverdi too much hence why I'm asking.

Help still needed though :0
>>
>>64020769
Like what are you looking for really? His madrigals are great. I am singing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5yHm4ostiU this year and it's really a great example of his dissonant counterpoint. You find that kind of dissonant sequencing later on in the baroque period. But the tonal center to the changes, so in that sense it is still rather Renaissance. IDK thats just off the top of my head. Good luck on that project or whatever.
>>
>>64020883
That's definitely a great example of what I'd want. I'm working together a list of all world music, starting with how the western music developed (Very briefly going from medieval music to the end of the classical era).

Following the developments in harmony & rhythm over time is a good line to follow there.

Any particular recording of his madrigals that you'd recommend?
>>
>>64020958
Honestly, I have no clue. I don't listen to him like I used to. So I can't really help you, but you have 9 or 10 books to listen to, so you can really start anywhere
>>
>>64021079
>but you have 9 or 10 books to listen to
Quite the speedbump. Looking more like I'll just cop out & list L'orfeo every day.

If anything, I guess this is just an excuse to study up on a new composer.
>>
>>64021101
Well you don't have to listen to all of them. I'm just saying you have a lot of options. But if you're a settler you can do L'Orfeo. There is a lot of good material to research with because its so famous
>>
>>64021177
>There is a lot of good material to research with because its so famous
For certain. I definitely want to include Monteverdi on the list considering how significant he was, but I haven't really studied him so I guess settling on his most recognizable piece is probably a safe place to go.
>>
>>64021177
Thanks for the help though. I'll look into a few of his madrigal books & decide whether I want to use a recording of them or one of his operas later.
>>
>>64021222
Well I hope your project turns out well. I know how that goes. Hope you can appreciate him as much as I like listening to him after it lol
>>
God it's so good to hear a new release which is instantly satisfying
>>
>>64018581
composers tend to be obsessive about music. Its a fine line between autism and life-long obsession. Look at most composers you'll find an almost autistic obsession with learning about music. Its just standard for composers.

Those who dont care about music and just live their lives dont end up being composers. That said Bartok had a wife and kids so still led a normal life.
>>
>>64018581
Maybe. Atleast he wasn't full blown crazy like Schumann.
>>
>>64019625
Lmao 'earnestly'
Bitch boi
>>
Ives has some pretty great songs/lieder desu.
>>
>>64021622
bear in mind that both of Bartók's wives married him because
a) his status as one of Hungary's leading composers and pianists. He was basically a national celebrity by the time he asked Ditta's hand
b) big dick meme aside, the dude was fucking handsome. Especially compared to other composers like Stravinsky, whose face looked like an ass.
All said, he was a complete fucking social sperglord. Don't forget his creepy obsessions with Stefi Geyer and Jelly D'aranyi. Everything I've read about him, from lifestyle to personality to beliefs, just reeks with the sweetest autism.
>>
>>64022576
>>64022583
>>64022618
nigger what are you doing
>>
File: 1460464866861.jpg (23 KB, 396x372) Image search: [Google]
1460464866861.jpg
23 KB, 396x372
>>64022625
I was trying to upload something but it said it wasn't working.
Also
>Nigga
>>
If Bach and Mohammed had a child, would it be called Baphomet?
>>
>>64023050
No, but Mecca would have to wake up to fugues at 6 AM everyday.
>>
>>64015813
not gonna download that but you are right I bet cause serialism is the shit.

>>64016342
Judging here I think you misunderstood what the main point the book had to make was and got distracted by a smaller part of what it said. To the author of the textbook they think Serialim is anti expressive mainly because of the ridged frame work that composers restrict themselves to. That it becomes a non expression and more like an exercise of adhering to the arbitrary tonal concept that's valuing all notes equally. I think this is what was meant by >since Total Serialism is so exact in its intentions

The stuff you said is valid though.

I think the author of the book just doesn't have an ear for it to hear what those composer brought to the table with that stuff. Reminds me of watching the Ken Burns jazz documentary series in a class and they totally trash free jazz in it.

You might want to look think about ways that serialism anticipated the rise of electronics in music and examples of it's use in more popular music.
>>
>>64023278

What a thought
>>
>>64023672
>Judging here I think you misunderstood what the main point the book had to make was and got distracted by a smaller part of what it said.
Perhaps if the book went into detail over the aesthetic issues across every bold new development in musical expression I would not care about this passage. But we are explicitly told in the book, and told to answer, that Total Serialism is a form that offers little to no role for performer interpretation and the music itself isn't expressive.

>To the author of the textbook they think Serialim is anti expressive mainly because of the ridged frame work that composers restrict themselves to. That it becomes a non expression and more like an exercise of adhering to the arbitrary tonal concept that's valuing all notes equally.
No, that was just talking about how Total Serialism has such exact rhythms and markings. The idea being if everything is choreographed what remains for improvisation. But as I explained earlier, just as much as any other music is available for experimentation: it's stodginess that makes us say otherwise. It sounds inaccessible and calculated therefore it must be that way. I reject that defeatist perspective.

Nonetheless, you must agree that having that in a textbook, a supposedly objective view of art history, is fucking indefensible? Imagine an art history textbook where the author started talking shit on Pollock and Rothko; it would cease to be a reliable reference material.
>>
40 minutes til Prom season is announced lads
>>
>Prom 1
Tchaikovsky - Fantasy Overture 'Romeo and Juliet'
Elgar - Cello Concerto in E minor
Prokofiev - Cantata 'Alexander Nevsky'
Sol Gabetta - Cello
BBC National Chorus of Wales
BBC Symphony Chorus
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Sakari Oramo - conductor

>Prom 2
Mussorgsky - Boris Godunov
Bryn Terfel - Boris Godunov
Benjamin Knight - Fyodor
Vlada Borovko - Xenia
John Graham Hall - Shuisky
Kostas Smoriginas - Schelkalav
Ain Anger - Pimen
David Butt Philip - Grigory (Pretender Dmitry)
Andrii Goniukov - Varlaam
Harry Nicoll - Missail
Rebecca de Pont Davies - Innkeeper
Andrew Tortise - Yurodivy (Holy Fool)
Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden
Sir Antonio Pappano - Conductor

>Prom 3
Mozart - Exsultate, jubilate
Haydn - Mass in C major 'Paukenmesse'
Fauré - Requiem
Cantique de Jean Racine
Requiem

Lucy Crowe - Soprano
Paula Murrihy - Mezzo-soprano
Robin Tritschler - Tenor
Roderick Williams - Baritone
Choir of King’s College, Cambridge
Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment
Stephen Cleobury - Conductor

>Chamber Prom 1
Debussy - Cello Sonata (13 mins)
Dutilleux - Ainsi la nuit (15 mins)
Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 12 in A major, K414

Paul Lewis - Piano
Bjorg Lewis - Cello
Vertavo String Quartet

>Prom 4
Ravel - Boléro
Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto No 3 in D minor
Ustvolskaya - Symphony No 3 'Jesus Messiah, save us!'
Strauss - Der Rosenkavalier Suite

Behzod Abduraimov - Piano
Munich Philharmonic Orchestra
Valery Gergiev - Conductor

>Prom 5
Beethoven - Missa solemnis

Camilla Nylund - Soprano
Birgit Remmert - Mezzo-soprano
Stuart Skelton - Tenor
Hanno Müller-Brachmann - Bass
Hallé Choir
Manchester Chamber Choir
BBC Philharmonic
Gianandrea Noseda - Conductor

>Prom 6
Gospel Meme Prom

Prom 7
Fauré - Shylock
Stravinsky - Pulcinella Suite
Poulenc - Stabat Mater

Julie Fuchs - Soprano
Julien Behr - Tenor
BBC Singers
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Marc Minkowski - Conductor
>>
>>64024520
>Prom 8
Ballroom Dancing meme prom

>Prom 9
Mozart - Symphony No 39 in E flat major
Mendelssohn - Aria 'Infelice!'
Mozart - Aria 'Ah, lo previdi' (13 mins)
Mendelssohn - Symphony No 4 in A major, 'Italian' (27 mins)

Rosa Feola - Soprano
Le Cercle de l'Harmonie
Jérémie Rhorer - Conductor

>Prom 10
(Meme prom for secondary school children)

Bach - Toccata and Fugue in D minor
Bernstein - Mambo
Bizet - Carmen Suite No 2 (Habanera+Chanson du toréador)
Clyne - Night Ferry
Haydn - Trumpet Concerto (3rd mvt)
Gabriel Prokofiev - Concerto for Turntables and Orchestra (5th mvt)
Shostakovich - Symphony No 10 in E minor (2nd mvt)
Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending
Verdi - Requiem (Dies irae+Tuba Mirum)
Wagner - Die Walküre – Ride of the Valkyries

Lemn Sissay - Presenter
DJ Mr Switch - Turntables
Matilda Lloyd - Trumpet
Esther Yoo - Violin
Wayne Marshall - Organ
BBC Philharmonic
Alpesh Chauhan - Conductor

>Prom 11

Tippett - A Child of Our Time
Wagner - Die Walküre – final scene

Tamara Wilson - Soprano
Pamela Helen Stephen - Mezzo-soprano
Peter Hoare - Tenor
James Creswell - Bass
BBC National Chorus of Wales
BBC National Orchestra of Wales
Mark Wigglesworth - Conductor

>Prom 12

Repeat of 10

>Prom 13

Lindberg - New Work
Beethoven - Symphony No 9 in D minor, 'Choral'

Miah Persson - Soprano
Anna Stéphany -Mezzo-soprano
John Daszak - Tenor
Christopher Purves - Bass
London Philharmonic Choir
London Philharmonic Orchestra
Vladimir Mikhailovich Jurowski - Conductor
>>
>>64024633
>prom 10
fucking kek
>>
>>64024668
>repeated twice
>twice
>>>>>>
>>
>>64024633

>Chamber Prom 2

Brahms - Hungarian Dance No. 5 in G minor (arr. A. L. Christopherson)
Bach - Motet 'O Jesu Christ, meins Lebens Licht', BWV 118 (arr. Robin Michael)
Elgar - Enigma Variationa – Nimrod (arr. David Johnstone)
Villa-Lobos - Bachianas Brasileiras No 5
Klengel - Hymnus for 12 cellos

Golda Schultz - Soprano
Guy Johnston - Cello
Emma Denton - Cello
Benjamin Hughes - Cello
Su-a Lee - Cello
Sarah McMahon - Cello
Robin Michael - Cello
Brian O'Kane - Cello
Justin Pearson - Cello
Pedro Silva - Cello
Victoria Simonsen - Cello
Gabriella Swallow -Cello
Adi Tal – Cello

>Prom 14

Rossini - The Barber of Seville

Danielle de Niese - Rasina
Alessandro Corbelli - Dr Bartola
Taylor Stayton - Count Almaviva
Björn Bürger - Figaro
Janis Kelly - Berta
Huw Montague Rendall - Fiorello
Glyndebourne Festival Opera Company
London Philharmonic Orchestra
Enrique Mazzola – Conductor

>Prom 15

Tchaikovsky - The Tempest
Anthony Payne - Of Land, Sea and Sky [BBC commission: world premiere]
Bruch - Violin Concerto No. 1 in G minor
Vaughan Williams - Toward the Unknown Region

Ray Chen - Violin
BBC Symphony Chorus
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Sir Andrew Davis – Conductor

>Prom 16

Dukas - La Péri – Fanfare and Poème dansé
Michael Berkeley - Violin Concerto [BBC commission: world premiere]
Prokofiev - Romeo and Juliet

Chloë Hanslip - Violin
Jac van Steen – Conductor

>Prom 17

Berlioz - Beatrice and Benedict – overture
Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 4 in G major
Brahms - Symphony No 1 in C minor

Robert Levin – Piano
Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra (SWR)
Sir Roger Norrington – Conductor

>Prom 18

Mahler - Symphony No. 3 in D minor

Sarah Connolly - Mezzo-soprano
Eltham College Boys' Choir
London Symphony Chorus (women's voices)
London Symphony Orchestra
Bernard Haitink – Conductor

>Prom 19

Bowie Tribute Prom
>>
>>64024740
>funeral motet 118
You don't get to hear that often in concer-
>12 cellos
u wot m8
>>
>>64024740

>Prom 20

Berlioz - Roméo et Juliette

Julie Boulianne - Mezzo-soprano
Jean-Paul Fouchécourt - Tenor
Laurent Naouri - Bass
Monteverdi Choir
National Youth Choir of Scotland
Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique
Sir John Eliot Gardiner – Conductor

>Prom 21

Rihm - Gejagte Form (2002 version)
Strauss - Oboe Concerto in D major
Mozart - Symphony No 41 in C major, 'Jupiter'

François Leleux – Oboe
Aurora Orchestra
Nicholas Collon – Conductor

>Prom 22

Ravel - Mother Goose Suite
Auerbach - The Infant Minstrel and His Peculiar Menagerie [BBC co-commission: UK premiere]
Debussy - King Lear – Fanfare d'ouverture + Le sommeil de Lear
La Mer

Vadim Gluzman - Violin
Crouch End Festival Chorus
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Edward Gardner – Conductor

>Chamber Prom 3

“Cabaret of Music and Words” celebrating the music and life of Erik Satie

>Prom 23

Jörg Widmann – Armonica [UK premiere]
Schumann - Violin Concerto in D minor
Sibelius - The Tempest – Prelude
Nielsen - Symphony No. 5

Christa Schönfeldinger - Glass Harmonica
Teodoro Anzellotti - Accordion
Thomas Zehetmair - Violin
BBC Philharmonic
John Storgårds – Conductor

>Prom 24

Alberto Ginastera – Ollantay [London premiere]
Britten - Piano Concerto
Schubert - Symphony No. 9 in C major, 'Great'

Steven Osborne - Piano
BBC Philharmonic
Juanjo Mena – Conductor

>Prom 25

Dvorak - Cello Concerto in B Minor
Bartók - Bluebeard's Castle

Alban Gerhardt - Cello
Ildikó Komlósi - Judith
John Relyea - Duke Bluebeard
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Charles Dutoit - Conductor
>>
>>64024802

Looks like the gimmick is that all the pieces in that one are arranged for 12 cellos

>>64024826

>Prom 26

Brahms - Piano Concerto No. 2 in B flat major
Reinbert de Leeuw - Der nächtlige Wanderer [UK premiere]

Peter Serkin - Piano
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Oliver Knussen – Conductor

>Prom 27

Helen Grime - Two Eardley Pictures – 1: Catterline in Winter [BBC commission: world premiere]
Tchaikovsky - Violin Concerto in D major
Stravinsky - Petrushka (1947 version)

Pekka Kuusisto - Violin
BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
Thomas Dausgaard – Conductor

>Prom 28

Meme prom with the National Jazz Orchestra of Scotland

>Prom 29

Iris ter Schiphorst - Gravitational Waves [BBC co-commission: London premiere]
Strauss - Also sprach Zarathustra
Holst - The Planets (incl. Colin Matthews movement)

City of Birmingham Symphony Youth Chorus (women's voices)
National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain
Edward Gardner –Conductor

>Prom 30

Helen Grime - Two Eardley Pictures – 2: Snow [BBC commission: world premiere]
Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No. 2 in G major
Stravinsky - The Firebird (46 mins)

Pavel Kolesnikov – Piano
National Youth Orchestra of Scotland
Ilan Volkov – Conductor

>Prom 31

Prokofiev - Scythian Suite
Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No. 1 in B flat minor (1879 version)
Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring

Kirill Gerstein – Piano
Thomas Dausgaard - Conductor
>>
>>64024935

>Chamber Prom 4

Tobias Broström - Sputnik
Kurt Weill - Songs, including from ‘The Threepenny Opera’ and ‘The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny’
Schwertsik - Adieu Satie – Excerpts
HK Gruber - Three MOB Pieces

Håkan Hardenberger - Trumpet
HK Gruber - Voice
John Constable - Piano
Mats Bergström - Banjo/guitar
Claudia Buder - Accordion
Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields

>Prom 32

Schoenberg - A Survivor from Warsaw
Dutilleux - The Shadows of Time
Mahler - Symphony No 1 in D major

Simon Russell Beale - Narrator
Philharmonia Voices (men's voices)
The Philharmonia Orchestra
Esa-Pekka Salonen – Conductor

>Prom 33

Mark Simpson – Israfel [London premiere]
Dutilleux - Tout un monde lointain...
Elgar - Symphony No/ 1 in A flat major (

Johannes Moser - Cello
BBC Philharmonic
Juanjo Mena – Conductor

>Prom 34

Dutilleux - Timbres, espace, mouvement
HK Gruber – Busking [London premiere]
Beethoven - Symphony No. 5 in C minor

Håkan Hardenberger - Trumpet
Mats Bergström - Banjo
Claudia Buder - Accordion
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Sakari Oramo – Conductor

>Prom 35

Bartók - Dance Suite
Malcolm Hayes - Violin Concerto
Dvorak - Symphony No. 7 in D minor

Tai Murray - Violin
Thomas Sondergård - Conductor

>Prom 36

Meme prom with Jamie Cullum leading some jazz shit
>>
Prom 43 has Barenboim and Argerich, hnnngggg
>>
>>64025007

>Prom 37

Walton - Partita
Huw Watkins - Cello Concerto [BBC commission: world premiere]
Webern - Passacaglia
Brahms - Symphony No. 4 in E minor

Paul Watkins -Cello
Thomas Sondergård – Conductor

>Prom 38

Tribute to George and Ira Gerswhin

John Wilson – Conductor
John Wilson Orchestra

>Prom 39

Haydn - Symphony No. 34 in D minor
Charlotte Bray - Falling in the Fire [BBC commission: world premiere]
Mahler - Symphony No. 5 in C sharp minor

Guy Johnston - Cello
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Sakari Oramo – Conductor

>Chamber Prom 5

Morley - It was a lover and his lass
Byrd - O Lord, make thy servant Elizabeth
Why do I use my paper, ink and pen?
Huw Watkins - The Phoenix and the Turtle
Byrd - Fantasia a 5, 'Two parts in one in the fourth above'
Tomkins - Be strong and of a good courage
Ramsey - Sleep, Fleshly Birth
Byrd - Browning a 5
Robert Johnson - Full Fathom Five Thy Father Lies
Nico Muhly – Gentle sleep
Orlando Gibbons -In Nomine I, MB 27
John Wilbye - Draw on, sweet night

Fretwork
Stile Antico

>Prom 40

Prokofiev - Symphony No 1 in D major, 'Classical'
Francisco Coll - Four Iberian Miniatures [London premiere]
Adès - Lieux retrouvés [World premiere of version with orchestra]
Beethoven - Symphony No 8 in F major

Augustin Hadelich - Violin
Steven Isserlis - Cello
Britten Sinfonia
Thomas Adès – Conductor

>Prom 41

Berlioz - Overture 'King Lear'
Colin Matthews - Berceuse for Dresden [London premiere]
Mahler - Das Lied von der Erde

Leonard Elschenbroich - Cello
Alice Coote – Mezzo - Soprano
Gregory Kunde -Tenor
Hallé
Sir Mark Elder – Conductor

>Prom 42

Bach - Motet 'Komm, Jesu, komm!'
Pärt - Nunc dimittis (7 mins)
Bach - Motet 'Singet dem Herrn ein neues Lied'
Pärt - Triodion
Bach - Motet 'Jesu, meine Freude'

The Sixteen
Harry Christophers - Conductor
>>
Word on the street is that promming is now £6. Absolutely scandalous if true, frankly.
>>
>>64025074

And they're playing best Liszt concerto too

>Prom 43

Jörg Widmann - Con brio
Liszt - Piano Concerto No. 1 in E flat major
Wagner - Tannhäuser – overture
Götterdämmerung – Dawn and Siegfried’s Rhine Journey
Götterdämmerung – Funeral March
The Mastersingers of Nuremberg - Overture

Martha Argerich - Piano
West-Eastern Divan Orchestra
Daniel Barenboim – Conductor

>Prom 44

Walton - Richard III Suite (arr. Muir Mathieson)
Finzi - Love’s Labour’s Lost – suite
Sullivan - The Tempest – Overture to Act 4
Walton - As You Like It – a poem for orchestra after Shakespeare
Talbot - Springtime Dance from The Winter's Tale
Bernstein - Symphonic Dances from West Side Story (24 mins)
Porter - Kiss Me Kate
Rodgers - The Boys from Syracuse

BBC Concert Orchestra
Keith Lockhart – Conductor

>Prom 45

Janacek - The Makropulos Case

Karita Mattila - Emilia Marty
Aleš Briscein - Albert Gregor
Gustáv Beláček - Dr Kolenatý
Jan Vacík - Vítek
Svatopluk Sem - Baron Jaroslav Prus
Aleš Voráček - Janek
Jan Ježek - Hauk-Šendorf
Jiří Klecker - Stage Technician
Yvona Škvárová - Cleaning Woman
Jana Hrochová - Chambermaid
BBC Singers (men's voices)
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Jiří Bělohlávek – Conductor

>Prom46

Grisey – Dérives [UK premiere]
Mahler - Rückert-Lieder
Mozart - Mass in C minor, K427

Louise Alder - Soprano
Carolyn Sampson - Soprano
Tanja Ariane Baumgartner - Mezzo-soprano
Benjamin Hulett - Tenor
Matthew Rose - Bass
BBC Symphony Chorus
Ilan Volkov - Conductor

>Prom 47

Hellawell - Wild Flow [BBC commission: world premier]
Haydn - Cello Concerto No 1 in C major
Tchaikovsky - Symphony No 5 in E minor (50 mins)

Narek Hakhnazaryan - Cello
Ulster Orchestra
Rafael Payare – Conductor
>>
>>64025218

Was amazed we had made it this far with only one piece by Rachmaninoff, but looks like they're stuffing it all in at the end

>Prom 48

Matthias Pintscher - Reflections on Narcissus
Mendelssohn - A Midsummer Night's Dream - Overture and incidental Music

Katherine Broderick - Soprano
Clara Mouriz - Mezzo-soprano
Alisa Weilerstein - Cello
Matthias Pintscher – Conductor

>Chamber Prom 6

Rossini - Soirées musicales (La regata veneziana + La Danza) (arr. Liszt)
Fauré - Barcarolle No. 5 in F sharp minor
Barcarolle No. 7 in D minor
Poulenc - Napoli
Liszt - Venezia e Napoli

Louis Lortie – Piano

>Prom 49

Meme prom celebraing the music of Quincy Jones

>Prom 50

Tchaikovsky - Fantasy-Overture 'Hamlet'
Rachmaninov - Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
Prokofiev - Symphony No 3 in C minor

Stephen Hough - Piano
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Alexander Vedernikov – Conductor

>Prom 51

Marlos Nobre – Kabbalah [UK premiere]
Grieg - Piano Concerto in A minor
Heitor Villa-Lobos - Bachianas Brasileiras No 4 – Prelude
Sergei Rachmaninov - Symphonic Dances

Gabriela Montero - Piano
São Paulo State Symphony Orchestra
Marin Alsop – Conductor

>Prom 53

Emily Howard – Torus [BBC commission: world premiere]
Shostakovich - Cello Concerto No. 1 in E flat major
Rachmaninov - Symphony No. 3 in A minor

Truls Mork - Cello
Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra
Vasily Petrenko – Conductor
>>
>>64025265

>Prom 54
Mozart - Aria 'Per questa bella mano'
Clarinet Concerto in A major
Requiem in D minor (compl. Süssmayr)

Ákos Ács - Clarinet
Lucy Crowe - Soprano
Barbara Kozelj - Mezzo-soprano
Jeremy Ovenden - Tenor
Neal Davies - Bass
Collegium Vocale Gent
Budapest Festival Orchestra
Iván Fischer – Conductor

>Prom 55

Mozart - The Magic Flute – Overture
Hans Abrahamsen - Let me tell you [London premiere]
Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 4 in F minor

Barbara Hannigan - Soprano
City Of Birmingham Orchestra
Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla – Conductor

>Prom 56

Meme Cbeebies (kek) concert

>Prom 57

Thomas Larcher - Symphony No. 2 [UK premiere]
Wagner - Wesendonck-Lieder
Strauss - An Alpine Symphony
Elisabeth Kulman - Mezzo-soprano
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Semyon Bychkov – Conductor

>Prom 58

Same programme as 56

>Chamber Prom 7

Schubert - Quartettsatz in C minor
Beamish - Merula perpetua [BBC co-commission: world premiere]
Mozart - String Quintet in C major

Armida Quartet
Lise Berthaud - Viola
David Saudubray – Piano

>Prom 59

Beethoven - Overture 'Leonore' No. 2
Piano Concerto No. 5 in E flat major, 'Emperor'
Symphony No. 7 in A major

Herbert Blomstedt - Conductor
Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra
Sir András Schiff - Piano
>>
>>64025345

>Prom 60

Bach - Cantata No 82, 'Ich habe genug'
Bruckner - Symphony No. 9 in D minor

Christian Gerhaher - Bass-baritone
Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester
Philippe Jordan – Conductor

>Prom 61

Meme prom based around Kamazi Washington

>Prom 62

Bayan Northcott - Concerto for Orchestra [BBC commission: world premiere]
Mozart - Violin Concerto No 5 in A major, 'Turkish'
Zemlinsky - Lyric Symphony

Baiba Skride - Violin
Siobhan Stagg - Soprano
Christopher Maltman - Baritone
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Simone Young – Conductor

>Prom 63

Bach - Mass in B minor

Katherine Watson - Soprano
Tim Mead - Counter-tenor
Reinoud Van Mechelen - Tenor
André Morsch - Baritone
Les Arts Florissants
William Christie – Conductor

>Prom 64

Boulez - Éclat
Mahler - Symphony No. 7 in E minor

Berlin Philharmonic
Sir Simon Rattle – Conductor

>Prom 65

Bartók - Three Village Scenes
Boulez - Anthèmes II
Carter - Penthode
Boulez - Cummings ist der Dichter

BBC Singers
Ensemble intercontemporain
Baldur Brönnimann – Conductor

>Prom 66

Julian Anderson – Incantesimi [UK premiere]
Dvorak - 8 Slavonic Dances, Op. 46
Brahms - Symphony No 2 in D major

Berlin Philharmonic
Sir Simon Rattle - Conductor
>>
>>64015813
French or German bow on the upright bass? Which one and why?
>>
Any tips for controlling nerves and not messing up a performance as I'm playing in a concert soon for my first time and I don't want to embarrass myself
>>
>>64024633
>Tippett - A Child of Our Time
>Lindberg - New Work
omg
>>
>>64025218
>Grisey – Dérives [UK premiere]
good!
>>64025418
>Boulez - Éclat
very good!
>Boulez - Anthèmes II
muh dick
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzaQixVGoQg

Mozart is such a cheeky cunt.
>>
>>64025418
Seems they went very safe this year, shit sucks.
>>
Why do people pretend to enjoy serialism?
>>
>>64026529
Why don't you enjoy serialism?
>>
>>64026538
it sounds poopy
>>
>>64026559
How does it sound poopy?
>>
>>64026529
Why do people pretend people pretend to enjoy serialism?
>>
>>64026581
Why do people pretend that people pretend that people pretend to enjoy serialism?
>>
>>64026559
tfw took a shit and it sounded like repons
>>
>>64025007
>Kurt Weill preformed by HK Gruber
Perfect.
>>
What does /classical/ think of wind ensemble music?
>it's shit
Yeah but which is the least shit
>>
>>64025811
Keep in mind that many don't have a good ear for music so your mistakes will go unnoticed.
>>
>>64026529
Why do people pretend to enjoy your mom? XDDD
>>
>>64028400
>pretend
>>
>>64028374
yeah, most people there wouldn't be that musically trained so I'll bear that in mind
>>
>>64024740
They're performing the entirety of the Barber of Seville?
>>
>>64028614
Best of luck to you.
>>
>>64028810
thanks
>>
>>64019625
>even Jordi Savall
Do people here dislike Jordi Savall?

I get that he might not be the most innovative but I liked the Hesperion stuff. There was a nice blend of different international music styles with Western classical.
>>
>>64029080
He's best at "directing" things which did not necessarily need direction in the first place. See his Musical Offering recording.
>>
>>64029080
Honestly, I like his L'Orfeo because it's alot clearer than other recordings.
>>
>>64029129
Speaking of the musical offering, is there really a reason to not follow the BGA resolution for the augmentation inversion fugue, and insist that the comes only play half the melody? I mean, introducing the second half of the melody produces some really weird dissonances, but it's got a charm of its own, and it definitely feels more complete that way.
>>
>>64025418

Got sidetracked:

>Prom 67

Paul Desenne - Hipnosis mariposa [UK premiere]
Heitor Villa-Lobos - Bachianas Brasileiras No. 2
Ravel - Daphnis and Chloe Suite No. 2
La Valse

Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra of Venezuela
Gustavo Dudamel – Conductor

>Prom 68

Rossini - Semiramide

Albina Shagimuratova - Semiramide
Daniela Barcellona – Arsace
Ildebrando d'Arcangelo – Assur
Javier Camarena - Idreno
Gianluca Buratto - Oroe
Susana Gaspar - Azema
David Butt Philip - Mitrane
Opera Rara Chorus
Sir Mark Elder – Conductor

>Chamber Prom 8

Songs by Purcell (arr. Britten), Mendelssohn and Quilter, including settings of Shakespeare

Carolyn Sampson - Soprano
Iestyn Davies - Counter-tenor
Joseph Middleton – Piano

>Prom 69

Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 24 in C minor
Anton Bruckner - Symphony No. 4 in E-flat major, 'Romantic'

Staatskapelle Berlin
Daniel Barenboim - Piano/Director

>Prom 70

Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 22 in E-flat Major
Bruckner - Symphony No 6 in A major (53 mins)

Staatskapelle Berlin
Daniel Barenboim - Piano/Director

>Prom 71

Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 21 in C major
Bruckner - Symphony No. 3 in D minor

Daniil Trifonov - Piano
Staatskapelle Dresden
Christian Thielemann – Conductor

>Prom 72

Beethoven - Violin Concerto in D major
Reger - Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Mozart
Strauss - Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streich

Nikolaj Znaider - Violin
Staatskapelle Dresden
Christian Thielemann - Conductor
>>
>>64029852

>Prom 73

Handel - Coronation Anthem 'Zadok the Priest'
Coronation Anthem 'My heart is inditing'
Georg Muffat - Armonico tributo – Sonata No. 5 in G major
Handel - Coronation Anthem 'Let thy hand be strengthened’
Bach - Orchestra Suite No. 3 in D major, BWV 1068 – Air (arr. L. Stokowski)
Purcell - Dido and Aeneas – 'When I am laid in earth' (Dido's Lament) (arr. L. Stokowski)
Handel - Coronation Anthem 'The king shall rejoice'

Academy of Ancient Music
Richard Egarr – Conductor

>Prom 74

Verdi – Requiem

Marin Alsop – Conductor
BBC Proms Youth Choir
(Couldn’t find soloists’ name)

>Prom 75 (Last Night)

Tom Harrold – Raze [BBC commission: world premiere]
Butterworth - The Banks of Green Willow
Borodin - Prince Igor: Polovtsian Dances
Rossini - La Cenerentola
Donizetti - L'elisir d'amore – 'Una furtiva lagrima’
Britten - Matinées musicales
Dove - Our revels now are ended
Vaughan Williams - Serenade to Music
Donizetti - La fille du régiment – 'Ah ! mes amis'
Elgar - Pomp and Circumstance March No 1 in D major, 'Land of Hope and Glory'
Arne - Rule, Britannia! (arr. Sargent)
Parry - Jerusalem (orch. Elgar)
[unknown] - The National Anthem (arr. Britten

Juan Diego Flórez - Tenor
Francesca Chiejina - Soprano
Eve Daniell - Soprano
Lauren Fagan - Soprano
Alison Rose - Soprano
Claire Barnett-Jones - Mezzo-soprano
Marta Fontanals-Simmons - Mezzo-soprano
Anna Harvey - Mezzo-soprano
Katie Stevenson - Mezzo-soprano
Trystan Llŷr Griffiths - Tenor
Oliver Johnston -Tenor
Joshua Owen Mills -Tenor
James Way - Tenor
Bragi Jónsson - Bass
Benjamin Lewis -Bass
James Newby -Bass
Bradley Travis- Bass
BBC Proms Youth Ensemble
BBC Singers
BBC Symphony Chorus
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Sakari Oramo - Conductor
>>
>>64029852

>Mozart piano concerti paired with Bruckner symphonies

Barenboim works in mysterious ways
>>
>>64028779

They're performing three full operas (Boris Gudonov, Barber of Seville and Makropulos Case). Concert performances, so just singing, no staging.
>>
>>64024109
>you must agree that having that in a textbook, a supposedly objective view of art history, is fucking indefensible?
no I disagree completely. 99 percent of artists in music that don't know history are complete shit and that's probably conservatively 90 percent of artists.

largely there isn't much built into serialist pieces for the performer to interpret. most of those works are already so challenging to play properly that they never get executed even at just an as written level.

but the concepts of serialism itself are in no way prohibative of expressive performance. Just look at Derek Bailey's serial stuff.
>>
>>64025345
>prom 59
emperor & symphony 7
>schiff
FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKK
>>
File: 1405569758542.jpg (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1405569758542.jpg
22 KB, 300x300
>>
meme
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.