[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Quirky music group >Some silly songs >Some weirdly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: spg.jpg (113 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
spg.jpg
113 KB, 800x533
>Quirky music group
>Some silly songs
>Some weirdly existential songs
6/10 -listenable
Now:
>Lyrically repetative
>LOLrandom or 'So deep' lyrics
3/10 -last two albums were bad.

What happened?
Did the loss of "Jon" Sprague and Michale Reed do them in?

Why did they leave anyways?
>>
>6/10 -listenable

More 4/10 - barely tolerable for the kitsch but not something you would ever seriously listen to

Weren't they like street performers? They should've stayed that way, that's far more appropriate for their music than actually being recording artists.
>>
>>63548796
Jon went because he didn't want to commit to it as much as the brothers did. He was happy with just street performances in CA. Or something.

>>63548828
>street performers
Yeah, I think their thing has always been about the performance of it all. First I heard of them was 'Brass Goggles', and I thought they were a cabaret group.

>4/10
Nah, I'd give them at least a 5 on their earlier stuff. I've at least searched out songs to listen to in my spare time.
>9/10 Listen to it all the time
>7/10 like it most of the time
>5/10 have wanted to listen to it at some point
>3/10 will tolerate it if it comes on
>1/10 will leave area/attempt to turn off
>>
>>63548796
OP listens to electroswing and chap hop
>>
well, theyre not a GOOD band at all, but they are by no means shit, to me they are 7/10 first 2 albums, then 5/10 after that, they are not that creative but an important part of their music is their performance itself, they can impersonate automatons in a pretty decent way tbqh, albeit it can be seen as cringy
>>
Gimmick bands are stupid
>>
I think they really started their nosedive when rabbit went tranny. Messed up his voice something awful.

>>63549012
>implying occasional fun quirky music is bad
>>
Oddly enough, I discovered SPG through a cringe thread on this board. I've listened to a handful of their songs and enjoyed them quite a bit. I do agree though that the more recent songs that I've heard are seriously lackluster in comparison to their older stuff. Plus, I can find myself enjoying the skits they do around songs. Some good, clean comedy never hurt anyone.
>>
Holy fucking shit why does anybody take this board even a little seriously with posters that are willing to rate a robovaudville band anything over 2/10
>>
File: parachute bowie.jpg (130 KB, 660x660) Image search: [Google]
parachute bowie.jpg
130 KB, 660x660
>>63552436
>But a man with parachute pants pretending to be an alien is a God of music.

Anon, tons of music group tries some gimmick.
>Aquabats - superheroes
>Rubberbandits - wear plastic bags
>Residents are giant eyeballs
>Devo had energy domes
>Daft Punk dresses as robots also
>Kiss wore weird makeup
>Slipnot looks like hellraiser characters
>GWAR dresses like monsters
>>
>>63549001
5 is actually reasonable if they are there in person, but just their actual music is 4. You're rarely going to find a time when you really want to listen to them, but if you stumble across them then its a different story and then its kind of cool, in a way.
>>
>>63553052
Really there's a fine line between "gimmick" and "signature" or whatever. Like the Residents do the eyeball thing but that's not the point of their music.
>>
>>63548828
this
honey bee was p ok
thats it
gimmick is awful
>>
>>63553140
>Bowie - Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
>The Fury of, Vs. The floating eye.., Other amazing adventures
>Devo's whole thing was Devolution
>Daft Punk - Human After All
>>
>>63553233
I'm not entirely disagreeing with you, but Bowie pretty much stopped with the Ziggy thing after Aladdin Sane.
>>
>>63549012
I wish I didn't look these up.
>>
>>63548796
Man, I miss when life was so simple that I could listen to Abney Park and not think they were garbage.
>>
>>63555395
>Abney Park
>garbage
I mean, it's industrial meeting vaguely folk. What did you expect? Those are some of the least fun genres out there.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.