[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who's your favorite folk artist from this century? My vote
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
Who's your favorite folk artist from this century? My vote goes to Anais Mitchell for her stellar lyrics and voice.
>>
File: josegonzo.jpg (791 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
josegonzo.jpg
791 KB, 2048x1365
Gonzo is too comfy
>>
>>63964260
agreed on anus, i didn't like her vocals the first 5 seconds into listening, but after you reach that 6 seconds mark you realize you are in for maximum comfty
>>
>>63964468
>Gonzo
this is not folk, this is indie garbage.
>>
File: bill-callahan1.jpg (49 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
bill-callahan1.jpg
49 KB, 500x250
gotta go with Ole Billy Cal's

>>63965612
oh here we go...
>>
File: Joanna Newsom as a neopet.png (413 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Joanna Newsom as a neopet.png
413 KB, 600x600
>>63964260
Joanna Newsom, with Mitchell as a close second. I adore Child Ballads.
>>
Pat the Bunny/ Wingnut Dishwashers Union/Ramshackle Glory
>>
>>63965612
Veneer is actually a great album and it's definitely folk. Any Jessica Pratt fans here? Best newish folk artist with 2 great first albums
>>
>>63965672
i can get behind this choice
>>
This was mentioned in the Anais thread yesterday but Basia Bulat is a major talent mostly unknown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcZiuI6mCpA
>>
>>63965837
FROM THIS CENTURY YOU FUCKING FAGLORD
>>
File: Transcendental Opinions.png (255 KB, 500x505) Image search: [Google]
Transcendental Opinions.png
255 KB, 500x505
>>63966038
Joanna Newsom, with Mitchell as a close second. I adore Child Ballads.

Anyway.
>>63965972
Thanks to that thread I've been listening to her stuff all day - not sold on her latest release yet but everything else is great. More like her?
>>
HYMNS FOR THE EXILED
>>
>>63966195

I started the Anais Mitchell thread from yesterday. Dat nice feeling when you have a constructive conversation on /mu/, and conversation carries on. Hopefully people give her, among the other artists talked on there more attention.

The only other stuff that I've found that hits the spot the same way besides Basia and Anais Anais is Mother Falcon(especially their You Knew album), but they are more of a symphonic folk. If you dig that, also try goat rodeo session, though it's instrumental.

Though not entirely folk, Little Tybee dabbles in this type of sound quite a bit. They have some really cool instrumentation, and the lead guitarist is great. Similar to Tosin Abasi's sound, except much more tame and folk-rock oriented, rather than metal.

Somewhat different, but also try Lord Huron.

Widely talked about on here, but Sufjan Steven's Seven Swans, Carrie and Lowell, and Michigan are really good, with the former two being closer to the type of sound you're referring to.
>>
Folk is gay.
>>
>>63966195
Check out Bowerbirds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmZLuvDK9cQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ7gjznQd5g
>>
>>63968255
*I meant ""as wel"l, "not among"

Also, a lot of people like the Civil Wars. Not sure what /Mu/'s thoughts on them are, but they're worth a try

Chris Cornell's album, Higher truth somewhat fits the bill. Not mind-blowing or anything, but I thought it had some good songs on it.
>>
Scott H. Biram
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.