[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm interested to hear what /mu/ thinks of this,and if there's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: #####.jpg (49 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
#####.jpg
49 KB, 319x319
I'm interested to hear what /mu/ thinks of this,and if there's something similar out there outside of modest mouses' discography,as i'm a little new to the genre
>>
>>63957634
that's quickly becoming one of my favorites

Honestly it's a bit of a stretch in ways, but Brand New has tons of inspiration from modest mouse though their sound is different
They're a solid recommendation in the first place but I say this because Life Like Weeds off that one in particular reminds me so much of this b-side by Brand New
The lyrics especially near the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDEHYgtFozE

If you like the the kind of zany guitarwork by them you'd probably like Built to Spill also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdTw596Ok68
>>
>>63957634
it's very good. 9.5/10
>>
their best album

more spiritual than anything they did before it
>>
>>63957634
Listen to everywhere and his nasty parlor tricks. GOAT ep pham
>>
Part of the problem with loving this album (one of only 2 albums I've given a 5 on RYM) is it's uniqueness in their discography. If you like The Lonesome Crowded West for instance you can listen to their early tapes and stuff, Built to Spill, etc. If you like Good News, you can listen to a lot of their later stuff as well as a lot of indie rock. This album came out right when MM was transitioning from angry teenage garage rockers to angry indie rockers. It took the best of both of these world -- the energy of their earlier stuff while still having more maturity. With the success of this album, you would think it would have inspired more derivative bands, but any bands they've influenced seem to either fall more under the umbrella of their early stuff or their later releases. Their biggest influence, Built to Spill, is probably your best bet for finding similar music but don't get your hopes up. Imo Built to Spill's lyrics have never been great (anyone with great songs to prove me otherwise is greatly welcome) and they've always been more about their guitar work, which they do fantastically. M&A's strength lies in it's lyrics however (inb4 listening to music for the lyrics) making it very different from Built to Spill. I would try and see if there is anything else out of Isaquaah because they were a big part of the scene there but from a quick look at RYM it appears there's very little other than Yes's drummer. You're definitely going to have to dig if you want another album like this.
>>
>>63958592
Built to Spill actually do have good lyrics on a lot of their albums. They're a secondary concern for Doug, but there are some albums where the lyrics are great and he explores some unique themes. I think the main thing is that his lyrics are less emotionally charged than Isaac's.

>Perfect From Now On
"And you better not be angry
And you better not be sad
You better just enjoy the luxury of sympathy
If that's a luxury you have"

"You can't trust anyone
'Cause you're untrustable
How can you trust someone you know can't trust you?"

Really the entirety of Perfect From Now On is good lyrically, especially the song Randy Described Eternity.

Their 2009 album There Is No Enemy is also good lyrically, especially the song Pat, written to a former band mate who passed away. The entire album is surprisingly sad and personal.
>>
>>63959546
Thanks, listening to Perfect From Now On right now. They're one of those bands I've listened to some but really not enough. I'm really liking it so far. Randy Described Eternity is really good.
>>
I always see the thumbnail of the album cover as attractive and then when its larger and more visible i realize how shitty it actually is.
>>
File: Untitled.png (12 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
12 KB, 500x500
>>63959950
It's like two potentially good album covers made into one horrible one.
>>
>>63957634
Good album, lot of great ideas floating around, most hit but there are a few misses imo that make me prefer The Lonesome Crowded West, but I agree that you should check out Built to Spill. Perfect From Now On is a masterpiece.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.