[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
V A P O U R W A V E
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12
File: wosx.jpg (99 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
wosx.jpg
99 KB, 600x600
Who do you guys think the best hardvapour artist is? Also general Vapourwave thread.
>>
2014 wants his meme back anon
>>
I'll never fucking understand this random shit
>>
>>63949227
>hardvapour
Fuck off HKE, 'hardvapour' will never be a thing, no matter how hard you push it.
>>
>>63949227
I've been waiting for angry-sounding vaporwave to be a thing ever since I first heard of VW, but I'm pretty underwhelmed by hardvapour. It's mostly just gabber with shitty sound quality, I want something that sounds more like doom metal made out of city pop samples if you know what I mean.

Also, hardvapour's ukrainian aesthetic is completely shallow and tacky. Say what you want about vaporwave having a dumb aesthetic but at least it mostly makes sense, in hardvapour's case it's a very transparent attempt at distancing itself from VW in a meaningless way.
>>
>>63949272
not memeing, i generally want some good vapourwave or hardvapour to listen to.

>>63949361
I'll agree that i don't think that hardvapour is as hard is it should be. but End of World Rave is a pretty hard hitting album imo and i like the feel that comes with Vaperror, the sort of trap influenced stuff. Honestly that's why I made this thread is because I want somebody to bring that shit to the table. I was hoping somebody knew some really hard hitting stuff.
>>
>>63949409
Honestly I hate vaportrap in general, I never got how people could consider trap to sound "hard". I guess it must have to do with the hi-hats that kinda sorta sound reminiscent of military drums but even that is pushing it.

The concept of hard vaporwave has potential, but hardvapour is generally taking it in the wrong direction

some artists did some pretty good songs (vaperror's end of world rave is indeed pretty cool and also DJ Vlad's shit) but by and large it's the wrong approach.

WHICH IS TO BE EXPECTED COMING FROM A GENRE BORN ON REDDIT
>>
>>63949361
>hardvapour's ukrainian aesthetic is completely shallow and tacky
This, 100%. It's completely cringy and embarassing to be very honest.
>>
>>63949456
also i feel that the idea that hardvapour wants to distance itself from the rest is immature. There has to be a mutual respect between the two for them to progress in a proper manner. So what Wolfenstein OS X is doing shouldn't be bashing Vapourwave but rather embracing its strengths and transforming that root into something that others can base their work off of.
also End of World Rave is WOSx. Vaperror is that trappy shit that I think is entertaining but logistically an underwhelming music style.
>>
>>63949470
I think it's cool for an artist to incorporate elements of a specific culture of interest but not to have that be the basis of the genre. Especially when you consider that vapourwave is a global genre, it should be fusing together aspects of all culture to make a more united sound.
>>
>>63949477
It's mostly HKE that is the most vocal in bashing vaporwave.

Like the guy built his entire label on that genre (and even audaciously claimed to have invented vaporwave) but now he has a distro deal with Bleep/Warp, he wants to cut all ties with vaporwave. He sees any links that his label might have with a joke/meme genre as damaging to his chances of being legit. So he removes some of the crappier albums from the Dream Catalogue bandcamp roster then gets drunk and has a social media meltdown.

Completely embarassing behaviour.
>>
>>63949567
The issue is that it's obviously very disingenuous. It doesn't gel with the rest of the sound.

I mean if you're gonna go for a russian gimmick make your shit sound like hardbass, not gabber.
>>63949574
>>63949477
entirely true.

Fuck, imma fix hard vapor, this shit can't go on.
>>
File: Clarence Clarity - No Now.jpg (173 KB, 1417x1417) Image search: [Google]
Clarence Clarity - No Now.jpg
173 KB, 1417x1417
>>63949227
Not strictly vaporwave, but very vaporwave inspired.

Other than No Now, Diver - Vanguard is the only other vaporwave released I've genuinely liked
>>
File: SMOKE.jpg (2 MB, 1162x1162) Image search: [Google]
SMOKE.jpg
2 MB, 1162x1162
I made blackened vaporwave.

http://picosong.com/NANq

Tell me what you think of it, brehs.

Song is called Smoke. because as opposed to vapor, this is acrid ritual incense smoke, the dragon's poisonous breath, journey to the chthonian regions of the cavernous hollow earth where sulphur fumes arise from bubbling black lava pits.
That's the concept, that's the aesthetic.
>>
>>63950380
Meh, didn't really like it
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npkf2pyT3AA
>>
>>63949227
>>63949320
>>63949409
>>63949470
>>63949477
>>63949567
>>63950432
>vapour

it's spelt vapor you fucks, that goes even if you're a britbong or whatever
>>
>>63949409
>hardvapor
GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE WOSX
>>
File: Terminator_1984_Explosion.jpg (127 KB, 658x370) Image search: [Google]
Terminator_1984_Explosion.jpg
127 KB, 658x370
>>63950384
i dig it and im getting the vibes you've described but when i think and picture it, what comes to mind is the really intense parts of the Terminator films. I want you to know that I mean that as a compliment entirely.
>>
>>63950451
>wah why do different places have different dialects
>>
>>63950560
I usually do industrial and I have a fetish for big metallic percussions so this might explain that.
>>
>>63950560
wait, when I'm trying to play it it only goes 20 seconds into it, is it the same for you?
>>
>>63950581
do you have any other stuff? I'd love to check it out because I was really feeling that other song and that hard hitting industrial sort of bass makes me feel something.
>>63950615
nah, should be 5:28 of just hard hitting aesthetics.
>>
i like Bloodwave a lot.
>>
File: 1430858368138.jpg (159 KB, 925x684) Image search: [Google]
1430858368138.jpg
159 KB, 925x684
has hardvapor gotten good yet? the only hardvapor I've heard is vaporwave is dead and that album can go suck a dick desu.
>>
>>63950635
I'm working on a martial industrial bandcamp album (partially sample-based) it's not finished but here are two tracks from it
http://picosong.com/NAtb
http://picosong.com/NAtK
the sound quality is really crunchy and shitty tho
>>
>>63950656
not yet we're working on it
>>63950649
what is it like?
>>
>>63950656
I mean I really liked End of World Rave by Wolfenstein OS x. But I can't speak to your taste in music as I don't know what you DO like. In my opinion though the genre does need to mature a lot from where it sits now.
>>
>>63950700
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8aUPJrduxw
>>
File: ai_from_video_girl_ai2.jpg (93 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
ai_from_video_girl_ai2.jpg
93 KB, 720x540
>>63950723
oh it's futurefunk

I like that
makes me feel like I'm playing an old dating sim, great stuff
>>
>>63950451
'Hardvapour' has always been hard 'vapour' because it's HKE's invention and he's a britbong.

It's still shit, but whatever.
>>
>>63950692
Now I'm really feeling that aesthetic of journeying into the center of a volcano and fighting dragons. My biggest critique is that it feels like you're building up to something the whole time that just doesn't quite come.
For example, if this were a story you have the lovely setting, the hero entering and getting ready for a huge fight but then you just fade to black. If you added in some sort of resolution to the song where the entire song drops to lower octaves and just long drawn out industrial bass hits I think it might be really cool.
>>
>>63950831
I'll try that.
On that project I'm more trying to create marching songs than really dramatic experiences though. It's my little attempt to put myself in that long historic line of musicians who tried to capture that elusive Germanic identity retrospectively without knowing it first-hand. I'm trying to get the feeling you get when watching an old krautrock or industrial music video that uses clips of Fritz Lang's Nibelungen and Michael Mann's The Keep. It's a very self-reflexive meta thing about crossing indirect references to other references know what I'm saying?

>My biggest critique is that it feels like you're building up to something the whole time that just doesn't quite come.
Funny, I made one out of Wagner samples and that's exactly how I feel about his music.
>>
>>63950928
I think I get that and don't take my critiques as me not liking it by any means. What you're doing is tight. And I know it's a little bit stereotypical of the genre to try and use quotes to get that right vibe but like an underlayed sort of distorted piece of dialogue could help a decent amount in getting that Germanic setting you're aiming for. These of course are suggestions from somebody who doesn't have nearly as extensive a knowledge of the genre as a music creator such as yourself so I'm certain you know far better than I what would sound best in your music.
>>
>>63951058
no you're entirely right, there's still stuff to do
>>
>>63949227
Blank Banshee

2 comes out soon
>>
>>63951071
I hope you don't mind me downloading the 3 songs you've posted thus far. I plan on using them as reminders to look out for new work from you on the horizon.
>>
>>63951199
no prob

but I've made a spelling mistake in the artist's name for the first one, it should say Graf Morlok.
>>
>>63951151
I'm scared he'll fuck up somehow or just not have it done for a few years.

HSK can suck a dick. He's fucking with contracted artists.
>>
I think a better way to create angry/harsh vaporwave would be to get more into the retro counterculture aspect.

Like, you've got 30XX, it's a vaporgrind project that's based on all those ultraviolent cyberpunk horror anime of the late 80s-early 90s (Angel Cop, AD Police Files, the GitS movie, Genocyber, Urotsukidoji 3, all that shit) and even though it's musically based on grindcore, it has a powerful and interesting aesthetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_knq5KiMq0

Like, don't make your shit ukrainian, just make your shit RAD.
>>
>>63951384
This shit is tight. It's like somebody took a Code Orange CD and scratched the shit out of it. I need to know what samples they fucking used. All those fucking clips in between songs and shit sound so brutal.
>>
>>63951525
>Code Orange
nice shit

I couldn't pinpoint the source of each sample, but most of it is just slowed-down and copy/pasted grindcore, and the anime samples are mostly what I mentioned. I think there's also a Parasite Eve and a Videodrome sample.
>>
>>63949227
hardvapor sucks, stick with normal vaporwave
>>
>>63951151
16th may, to be exact
>>
>>63951384
Interestingly, digital hardcore uses the same aesthetic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MG5pc6Dl7s
>>
>>63949361
>angry-sounding vaporwave
so, basically OPN's latest album?
>>
>>63952146
it doesn't sound like vaporwave at all though.

But I can sort of see the idea behind Hypergrunge being to create an "early 90s edgy kid" equivalent of vaporwave out of industrial metal and horror movies. The issue here is that it's an ALTERNATIVE to vaporwave (and not one that's been handled in a compelling way so far), not a continuation of it.

what was posted ITT has more potential.
>>
>>63951605
Just started watching GenoCyber now and I don't even watch anime. Something about the raw gore and brutality of it is great. Makes me wanna draw something gory
>>
>>63952435
Then definitely check out everything else I've mentioned.
>>
>>63952435
There's more to Genocyber than the gore (which isn't raw, by the way, but more surreal and vicious), there's the sheer misanthropy of it, and the differences in directing style between each part, the last one being very grandiose.
Like, it feels like a huge unrestrained revenge fantasy where every single human being is ultimately an asshole or a maniac deep down, and the instrument of divine retribution that punishes them is a horrible genocidal monster that acts when called down by humanity's own revengefulness. It's beautiful in its over-the top nihilism and mythical scope.

But yeah it's also mostly a rip-off of Urotsukidoji.
>>
>>63952650
Please don't imply that gore is THE ONLY thing i see in the show. I understand that there is more to it and I'm just getting started on it. I was merely noting that the brutality of it is what was drawing me in to begin with. I'll be sure to check out Urotsukidoji as well but in due time. I'm new to the anime scene and I don't want to be absorbed by every show at once.
>>
>>63952749
Alright.
They aren't shows anyway, they're movies and OVAs, that shit couldn't fly on TV so it was shown in theaters or on VHS exclusively and usually had much higher production standards than a TV show. But in the late 90s the OVA market died out and so did ultraviolent anime.
>>
File: 1460000858995.jpg (85 KB, 960x585) Image search: [Google]
1460000858995.jpg
85 KB, 960x585
https://soundcloud.com/user-174066870

dank vaporwave 4 u
>>
>>63952818
I like your title gimmick.
>>
File: rty.jpg (76 KB, 321x375) Image search: [Google]
rty.jpg
76 KB, 321x375
>>63952863
thanks m8
>>
>>63949361
Sticky Drama by Oneohtrix Point Never is pretty hard sounding, he clips white noise at different frequencies to create what sounds like pig squealing or whatever it's called that they do in grindcore etc... Also is Oneohtrix Point Never vaporwave?
>>
>>63952775
My b homie. again, new to this haha. In my defense they did let Vegeta rip off an android arms, among other pretty violent shit on tv. Obviously that's nothing compared to the shit that's in Genocyber. Please don't be offended when I get stuff wrong though, and I appreciate you giving explanations of stuff I wouldn't have otherwise understood.
>>
>>63952818
>>63952891
Those hoodies on your instagram..holy shit.
>>
>>63952921
He isn't but he helped create the genre.
>>63952928
no prob I'm just giving you some useful background.
Like, Genocyber was directed by Koichi Ohata, and even if it's based off a manga, the dude was famous for being especially misanthropic.
His 3 most famous OVAs (MD Geist, Angel Cop and Genocyber) are often considered schlock by anime reviewers who want to sound smart and mature (but somehow idolize the GitS movie even though it's no deeper), but the guy is a real author: he has overarching themes, treats them in consistent but subtly varied ways and is very inventive with the stuff he shows even if it's largely based off pre-existing material and mostly gory.
>>
>>63953037
Thanks my dude! Appreciate the background. I'm going to compile a list of animes to watch over time. Any big suggestions of stuff like that with lots of gore but still a deeper thematic presence.
>>
File: feels good mang.png (93 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
feels good mang.png
93 KB, 645x773
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTfa-9aCTYg&nohtml5=False
>>
>>63953157
AD Police files does a great job of showing the horrors of invasive technology and has a slick neo-noir atmosphere (the plot gets kinda dumb though) and it's super violent
Urotsukidoji is high-quality spectacular schlock, but it manages to merge so many genres and narrative styles seamlessly that it's genuinely impressive.
Doomed Megalopolis goes deep into shinto stuff and Japanese history and it's also beautiful so check it out. Not the goriest tho.
the first Ghost in the Shell movie is a good thriller/horror movie that relies just as much on existential themes and psychological manipulation as on body horror to creep you out.
Obviously there's Akira, that's loaded with buddhist themes and surreal horror

oh, and a little clarification: MD Geist IS schlock, but offers us a unique perspective by making the protagonist a straight-up villain.
>>
Any vaporwave wallpaper?
>>
>>63949227
Fuck off wolf
>>
File: preraph.png (2 MB, 1100x1100) Image search: [Google]
preraph.png
2 MB, 1100x1100
dumb concept:
XIXth century chamber music chopped, screwed and mixed with mid-80s Heavenly Voices + reverb

I got a mockup cover art for aesthetics example. Alternatively, screencaps of video games with gothic artistic direction.

yes or no?
>>
>>63949227
fuck off wosx
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.