[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Audio Engineering Scholars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6
File: Francis.jpg (58 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
Francis.jpg
58 KB, 480x640
What university do you attend?

Are you pursuing a major, or a minor?

What informed your decision to study Audio Engineering?

Pic is unrelated. It merely serves to grab your attention.
>>
>>63941119
>Pic is unrelated. It merely serves to grab your attention.

it worked

those fucking hips, mate.
>>
>getting a meme degree
>>
>>63941140

She has a FlyLo tattoo, so she only wants BBC. Sorry dude.
>>
Please stay on topic.

>>63941140
She looks tremendously petite, as well. It's as though I could fit the whole of her frame in my palm, figuratively of course.

Quite adorable.

>>63941144
I'm a CompSci major. I simply aim to satiate some curiosity pertaining to Audio Engineering.
>>
>>63941174
>tfw when you'll never get cucked by flylo
>>
>>63941119
>What university do you attend?
Western Carolina University, NC, USA
>Are you pursuing a major, or a minor?
Well, it's not strictly "audio engineering;" rather, WCU offers a "commercial and electronic" concentration in the music program. So, music major, w/concentration.
>What informed your decision to study Audio Engineering?
Seeing the on-campus studio room which Sony helped fund. I've always had an interest in music and technology (separately), but I sure as hell wasn't going to go to school to be a music performance major or a music teacher. So I just combined those two and looked at my options.
>Pic is unrelated. It merely serves to grab your attention.
Success/10
>>
Who is this person and where did she come from?
>>
>>63941186
>I'm a CompSci major.
still a meme degree
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 500x500
>>63941119
>Francis.jpg
lol that's not her name

>>63941247
just some random tumblr thot
her IG is beach.gaze
>>
>>63941266
I'd say it's more of one of those "work behind the scenes and never get recognized unless shit breaks" degrees, actually.
>>
>>63941234
Neat. You're not too far from me. I shouldn't have been so narrow in the subject field.

I suppose had I garnered an interest in music earlier in life I may have pursued a music-related degree, at least a minor.

After receiving your degree, what's your aim?

>>63941279
She's Francis to me, forever and always.
>>
>fg SNAWS on wft
>>
>>63941332
Probably composing and producing for synchronization purposes. Games, films, etc. Gotta get good at the composing part first.

I'd say the "oh become a super popular musician duh" route but the musical field is so fucking saturated right now (and by a lot of talent as well as not-talent) that I'd be better off making money by selling my work for others to use in their finished products.
>>
>>63941295
more like a "try to find work and get none since it's all being outsourced to India" degree
>>
>>63941745
>https://clyp.it/aoiywst4
yo this sounds like crash bandicoot
>>
>>63941787
tried to cross CB with twin peaks but keep it my style
>>
>>63941119
stop posting this ugly girl
>>
>>63941787
>>63941804
we /spookybonuslevel/
xylophones r underrated
>>
>>63941745
Your hornace of death track was flames
>>
>>63941438
Have you contributed to any projects yet?

Any examples of your work?
>>
>>63941222
I got cucked by FlyLo once in an LA grocery store.
>>
>>63941119
I'm currently a compsci major, but I want to get into audio engineering. I don't know what I'm going to do with regards to a minor. I might switch my major to physics.

If I do go into audio engineering, it will be to help fix this broken mess with speakers and headphones. There is no such thing as a good headphone. Period. Speakers can be better, but still have problems on there own.

I want to research things like activating thin films and electrostatic fluid accelerators with regard to headphones and speakers.

We have good DACs, We have good amps, but there are pretty much no headphones which are anywhere near transparent.
>>
>>63942094
I this this story. Tell it again please.
>>
>>63942202
Before anyone says anything
*their own
>>
>>63942202
all my mixes are done on audio technica ath-m50s
>>
>>63941119
>studying audio engineering
why pay for something that is literally worthless w/o experience? you're better off learning on your own or shadowing an audio engineer. an audio engineering degree is more worthless than philosophy, which is a field that actually requires uni coursework if you want to be successful
>>
>>63942293
Most people mix with a studio monitor setup, at least most major studios do, which do a decent job at frequency response, but not anything that would make you think you are really there.

That's cool, and that's why I somewhat scoff at the idea of getting million dollar headphones (exaggerated) right now. Microphones are pretty transparent, mixing chains are transparent, but if the music you listen to is mixed for a poor quality headphone like the m50, then there's no point getting a Sennheiser Orpheus.

My research ideally would be targeting studio mixers and theoretical transparency, and hope that it trickles down eventually. Not targeting bedroom producers and consumers. Its to complete the signal chain so you don't mix on audibly translucent monitors...with hope that eventually this can be used by consumers for end-to-end transparency.

Just a goal, and something I want to talk to my prof about, but not something I am gonna likely do.
>>
>>63942424
does that mean all my mixes will suck if i use audiotechnicas?
>>
>>63942202
If at some point you choose to pursue audio engineering, you clearly possess some depth of prior knowledge. I've no idea what "thin films" and electrostatic fluid accelerators" are/are in reference to, but it sounds quite interesting.

Don't feel obligated to explain what they are, either. I'll be sure to investigate those tonight.
>>
>>63942493
unty senpai hit me up on twitter
>>
>>63942539
I don't participate in social media.

Why?
>>
>>63942466
By suck, I mean audibly transparent. Not that they will be bad.

A 5% Total Harmonic Distortion is considered suicidally bad with an amp. But that's A-OK with a headphone bass response.

Neither are really worse than the other. I'm more being autistic about it because its the weak link.

>>63942493
Thin Films are just thin films. There are a lot, namely many people work with graphene. One problem with speaker drivers is they have weight so this causes inherent slowness because of inertia, but also lower resonant frequencies inside your hearing range and impedence differences.

Electrostatic headphones reduce this with thin diaphrams up to 1 micrometer thin, but they still have uppermid resonance problems (the stax etch).

Getting thin films thinner and lighter would mitigate these problems, but they have to be tough enough to be bound extremely tight. The SR-Lambda Signature had a 1um thick diaphram, but they found out it was too thin to stretch tight enough to avoid the resonance issues.

Electrostatic fluid accelerators move air without a diaphram based solely on differences in charge. Its a longshot, but I think this could be endgame if able to be implemented.

I also want to look into piezoelectric, but mainly because I can't find out why people don't use it, not because its cutting edge.
>>
>>63942653
4chan is social media mein freund

send you pictures that i find are funny and see if you'll find them funny too, thus spreading good cheer in a world that is becoming more cold by the day
>>
>>63942670
i thought transparency was good familia, or do you mean something else other than a relatively flat freq response?
>>
>>63942767
We don't really have anything with a flat frequency response. With speakers its a thing that's "good enough on", but with headphones you don't want a flat FQResponse because your ears perceive them differently.

There are different approximations, but the harman curve is used often to try to balance with.

There are absolutely no headphones which are transparent to the harman curve. We have some setups which EQ it to make it similar. The Stax Lambda pro has an equilizer you can buy that simulates a diffuse field for example. Also etymotic earbuds are ok at it.

There's also issues with transients not being consistently fast enough to reproduce things throughout our hearing range perfectly.

I'm not concerned with soundstage desu. I don't know what causes that, I just think it should fall into place because its not material.
>>
>>63942992
ahh true that my man i getcha
there's also room emulator (gimmick) plugins from waves which are glorified eq patches
i tend to mix with my head as well as my ears alot too idk if that's good or bad
>>
cuckd
:v
>>
>>63943311
Well the room thing simulates a room. I've used the dolby 5.1 Headphone simulator in foobar to do it.

But that's not exactly transparent. Would you really thing you are actually there with the band? If you put a microphone to it, and tried to do a null test with the original input signal, would it null?
>>
>>63941633
If this is from your personal experience then I hate to say it but no it's just because you suck :v
>>
>>63942029
>Have you contributed to any projects yet?
Not that I can talk about, no.
>Any examples of your work?
While I have a soundcloud, I don't consider what's there to be quality examples.
>>
>>63941266
Why is CS a meme degree?
Why aren't Mathematics a meme degree?
>>
>>63941266
What do you study?
>>
File: 334876835_57191bd748_b.jpg (427 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
334876835_57191bd748_b.jpg
427 KB, 1024x680
>>63942424
you use gear for its sound, not its apparent transparency.
>>
>>63943946
Then that's fine. I'm talking signal chain gear. If your DAC in your signal chain can't pass a null test, then its a piece of junk and needs to be thrown out. If your headphones can't, then its normal. To me, this is a wrong mindset. Work towards perfection. You can get those sounds digitally or with tubes in the signal chain if you want to color it.

I
>>
File: mathphd.jpg (34 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
mathphd.jpg
34 KB, 640x427
>>63943906
>Ph.D. in Math
>any job I want
>$300k starting
>>
>>63944132
How the fuck can anyone major in math
>>
>>63941174
Don't care what she WANTS. That's not going to stop me.

:^)
>>
>>63944132
Oh you're one of THOSE fags
>>
study audacity
>>
>>63941119
If you graduate audio engineering you basically failed.
>>
>>63944348
Wat?
>>
File: 55.jpg (76 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
55.jpg
76 KB, 500x500
>tfw audio engineering degree
>tfw worse than having a meme degree
>tfw debt
>tfw no qt swans gf
>>
>>63944132
Chill, if you're going the research route it's much harder

>>63944551
DAYUMMMMMM

Her face in that angle isn't as pretty as in the other one
>>
>>63944551
She's so petite. Her torso's scarcely taller than her head.

Also, it's been entertaining to watch her followers steadily increase while this thread persists.
>>
>>63944551
you should have spent the money on equipment and taught yourself that
>>
>>63944551

is that sj
>>
>>63944667
>you should have spent the money on equipment and taught yourself that
I don't know about you, but I'd rather learn from the professors here at my school with massive resumes (at least one professor has a huge history of working in L.A. on really large projects) than try and shit my way through the autodidactic route. But that's just me.

You know, there's a part of me that wants to do research on audiology. I blame that on the fact that I already have mild hearing loss from being a percussionist (meme degree AND a concussionist? Two for one!) despite using protection. Maybe one of these days we'll figure out how to repair damage to the hairs inside the cochlea? That'd be fun to work on.
>>
>>63944666
Link me to her social media?
>>
>>63945516
Read the thread. Someone posted it quite early.
>>
>>63941787
Uhhh this is good. More like this?
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.