[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If all of /mu/core was suddenly banned from discussion, what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: Hadestown_A-Mitchell.jpg (42 KB, 419x381) Image search: [Google]
Hadestown_A-Mitchell.jpg
42 KB, 419x381
Though miles ahead of a lot of other music sites, it does get very circlejerk-y around here.

I feel like it would, or at least these albums should get more room in discussions:
Who I think should be discussed more:
Anais Mitchell- Hadestown(pictured)
La Vida Boheme
Vince Staples
Julia Holter's Have you in my Wilderness
Lupe Fiasco-Tetsuo and Youth
Animals As Leaders-Joy of Motion
Killer Mike
Mother Falcon- You knew
Kamasi Washington
Mother Mother- oh my heart

Who I think would actually be discussed more:
Tears for Fears
Beck
John Frusciante's solo work
Wilco(not sure if they'd be considered /mu/core, they come up from time to time, but not as much as I thought they'd be)
Tool
Sonic Youth
>>
David Liebe Hart Band
>>
Anais Mitchell is the best least talked about artist on this site, at least from this century
>>
>>63934753

Yes! I can't fathom how little anyone talks about her. Hadestown is amazing, and all her albums have great lyrics, even if perhaps simple.
>>
Yo, Hadestown's being staged at the New York Theatre Workshop this summer and I've got tickets. I'm excited to see it as it was designed to be - on stage. Stoked.

It'll be a shame to hear it without the cast that really shaped that album as a work. Still excited to see if any new music is in - previews and such are very positive.
>>
File: anais mitchell.jpg (336 KB, 1523x1523) Image search: [Google]
anais mitchell.jpg
336 KB, 1523x1523
Can this be an Anais Mitchell thread
I posted in an Anais Mitchell thread last night but then I fell asleep immediately afterwards
Best lyricist of her generation desu
>>
https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/floatings/r5.0

https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/floatings/r4.0

everything here
>>
best Anais songs incoming

Make It Up
Before the Eyes of Storytelling Girls
Cosmic American
I Wear Your Dress
Your Fonder Heart
Namesake
Song of the Magi
Wedding Song
Why We Build the Wall
Young Man In America
Dyin' Day

Hymns is my favorite album of hers, Just incredible poignant lyrics perfectly matched by her powerful voice
>>
>>63935507

Playing Wilderland before Young Man in America is a must.

Anyways, it sort of bothers me that La Vida Boheme will never really be fully appreciated because of them singing in Spanish. Great lyricists, especially in their second album.
>>
>>63935507
I can't even be mad at this list
I think I'd swap out I Wear Your Dress for The Belly & The Beast and Song of the Magi for Out of Pawn, and I'd definitely squeeze Deliberately or The Routine in there somewhere but besides that it's basically the same as mine
I wish I could pick a single favourite album, all of her first three are equal masterworks as far as I'm concerned
>>
>>63934468
>La Vida Boheme
muh local band, amazing live
>>
>>63936418

I'm jealous. I'm Venezuelan, but live abroad. They came to a festival in the US, and I wasn't able to go. They just got done recording their newest album? Is the hype real?
>>
>>63934468
>Vince Staples
>Lupe Fiasco
>Killer Mike
All mediocre artists heavily supported by pitchfork for the sake of pandering.

>Kamasi Washington
He's made only one album which really doesn't leave a ton of room for discussion. The Epic is nothing more than a drawn out piece of mediocre noodling by someone who's not even a technically proficient musician, exclusively liked by "trendy" people who aren't actually into jazz.

Please actually explore the genre instead of listening to the latest mediocre pitchfork supported album.

>Have You In My Wilderness
This is not only the most frequently discussed Holter album on /mu/, but it's also her worst thus far (though it's far from unlistenable)

>Sonic Youth
Already discussed a lot.
>Tool
Overrated prog metal wankery, if any neo-prog artist would get discussed more than I hope it would be Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree.
>Wilco
They don't have any good albums other than Summerteeth and YHF, the latter of which is respected and frequently place in chart threads.
>Beck
Has only two good albums (Mellow Gold and Odelay), both of which are respected, discussed, and frequently place in chart threads just like Wilco.
>>
>>63934468
>Tears For Fears
I'm really surprised Tears For Fears don't get talked about much here, I think that The Hurting and Songs From the Big Chair are fantastic albums.
>>
>>63937058
GOODBYE MY FRIEND
>>
what do you all think is the best mitchell album to listen to after listening to (and loving) hadestown? It's a criminally underrated album in most every circle, but I know she's working on a live theatrical production of it in nyc happening this summer.
>>
>>63937133
Her discography is pretty easy to navigate, each of her albums is slightly less raw and slightly more extravagant/ambitious than the one preceding it
Really there's nothing in her discography that's quite like Hadestown though, if for no other reason than because its brilliance is in many ways as much attributable to the rest of the cast members as Anais herself
>>
>>63937038
I don't even read pitchfork. I just listen to whatever come across.

Point taken, though. Mind giving some artists you would like to see discussed, or ones that would likely be discussed in replacement of current /mu/core? I mean, that is why I made the thread in the first place.You only mentioned porcupine tree and Steven Wilson
>>
>>63937278
I really felt her knowledge of genre and ability to blend them without it seeming random is skillful. I daresay this isn't in practice as much on her other albums then.
>>
>>63937507
I'm indifferent to the idea of a new /mu/core.

I don't really desire to see music that I personally love heavily discussed on this board because it would suddenly be seen as bad to like it, although I've never felt any sort of need to listen to music that people on this board respect.

As for bringing up PT and SW, I just thought that they are superior to Tool in creating modern prog. Check them out if you have any interest in newer stuff in the genre, PT has a pretty varied discography that dabbles in psych rock, standard prog rock, and some elements of progressive metal.
>>
>>63937133

Young man in America is most like Hadestown. The earlier you go, the more acoustic songwriter-y her stuff becomes
>>
>>63937038
>Lupe Fiasco
>Supported by pitchfork
>2 of the three projects that he put out before T&Y got less than a 5
fuck are you on about my guy
>>
>>63937514
Yeah, not taking anything away from Anais herself because masterminding a project like that is pretty damned impressive but a lot of the blending of styles and ideas is down to the fact that there are a lot of different musicians involved
>>
>>63937606

I'll check them out.

3 points, though.
1)Why do you care if the music is seen as bad to like it?
2) If you don't really care to listen to music that people on this board like, what's the point of coming to a music board on /mu/? I guess I mainly use it as an outlet to find new stuff. I don't know many people to talk about music with.
3) The idea of new /mu/core is just hypothetical. I mainly bring it up because people keep bringing up the same albums, and people always complain.
>>
>>63937754
1. I don't really care about whether /mu/ thinks that the music I like is good/bad, but I don't want it turned into spammed memes that make it impossible to discuss.

2. Finding new music, participating in threads for classical and jazz music, as well as posting in the occasional thread relevant to my interests.

I should clear up the confusion in my statement though, I meant that I don't listen to music solely because of the fact that /mu/ likes it. I listen to music that I enjoy and that sometimes overlaps with music discussed on this board.

3. The issue with /mu/core isn't that the albums are bad, in fact I think that most of them are above-average at the very least. It's tiring to see the same albums posted day after day, regardless of quality.
>>
>>63937133
It's weird that's there's so little talk about Anais, especially Hadestown. The rest I sort of get because singer-song writer folk just isn't that popular outside of a few big name artists. Hadestown is much more than that though. Granted it is the highest ranked album in 2010 from critics according to Album of the Year website
>>
By the way, for Anais fans, I quite enjoyed Basia Bulat's Heart of My own. If you liked Anais, give it a listen.
>>
>>63938098
Basia is incredible. Tall Tall Shadow is excellent as well. Her new album is a little too poppy for my taste.

Also saw her live last week and she was stellar, especially for the songs she performed solo.

Here's a taste for anyone not familiar with Bulat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnTKjPlcaIs

She also plays a killer auto-harp
>>
Nobody has talked about Mother Falcon, which is understandable, since they are quite unknown, but anybody know any other symphonic-folk-rock? Closest I've found is Goat Rodeo Sessions, and to a lesser extent, Little Tybee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYpbqAySd34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW7R5tqUn-0&nohtml5=False
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuWGQ7qR4rI&index=10&
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG6TGN70prU&nohtml5=False

For reference, this is the other artists I mentioned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqE9mNzXhdA&nohtml5=False
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAxyaZ6XvR4&nohtml5=False

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtAITPpMzWI&nohtml5=False
>>
>>63938739
Lost in the Trees does something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9MoKKuvrvo
>>
>>63937133
Hymns for the Exiled is much more stripped down but listen to the lyrics and you'll be enamored. It's incredibly powerful anti-war message
>>
>>63940032

Gotcha. Any album in specific?
>>
Agalloch would definitely be talked about more, I'm actually surprised they aren't /mu/core.
>>
>>63936730
Honestly, I don't keep up with them that much, haven't really heard anything about their new album, but I bet it'll be good.
>>
>>63941611
A Church That Fits Our Needs is most along the lines of what you're looking for. More chamber folk/pop than orchestral but still a great album
>>
File: The Most Lamentable Tragedy.jpg (56 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
The Most Lamentable Tragedy.jpg
56 KB, 560x560
>>63934468
>>
I think this has been the most productive discussion on /mu/ that I've been part of.
>>
>>63934468
a new tier of /mu/core would become the top tier. you ever see sub /mu/core on any /mu/core charts? that would become just regular /mu/core. instead of neutral milk hotel, animal collective, swans, radiohead, death grips, kanye west, sufjan stevens, we'd see more of weezer, arcade fire, titus andronicus, modest mouse, the avalanches, can, the flaming lips...
the cycle would keep repeating itself until we're at anti warhol levels of obscure and no one would post here anymore
>>
My friend keeps fucking singing Happy by Mother Mother
I actually found out about them from /soc/
Huh.
Weird
>>
>>63946025

I guess so, but what I was getting at was what were some really cool artist that nobody really discusses now because they are too busy circlejerking some albums now

I took it from 2 points. Who SHOULD be discussed more, and who would ACTUALLY be discussed more.
>>
I think 4AD in general should be discussed more
>>
>>63938174
>>63938098
Great rec, thanks!
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.