[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: We are all poseurs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: catslineup.jpg (243 KB, 1024x718) Image search: [Google]
catslineup.jpg
243 KB, 1024x718
Enjoying music is also, at least in some small part, enjoying the image associated with it. Not just the look of the members but other parts of a band's aesthetic like album art and song titles.

If the listener finds any of those things contrived, juvenile, or insincere then the band can be pretty safely dismissed without ever listening to their music.

We all select our favourite artists based, at least partially, the image of ourselves we would like to project to the world - our tastes are in a way only a facade for the type of person we would prefer to be seen as by others.

Am I wrong?
>>
It depends on the community you're in I think
People want to fit in, so, if they feel like they need to listen to the 'patrician mucore' to be part of /mu/ they will, but put that person in a group of real friends who listen to and talk about classic rock and he may feel out of place
At least it used to be like that with me
Now I just feel out of place everywhere
>>
I mean honestly none of us would give a band like pic related a chance, based purely on this photo, right?

Not that there's anything wrong with that - lots can be accurately predicted based on image alone, it's just interesting to think about the inverse.

How much of (critically popular) music is impacted by something like the bandwagon effect where an artist or album receives hyperbolic praise because nobody wants to seem like they don't "get it".

Music never stands on it's own it's all I'm trying to say, appearance always matters.
>>
>>63933986
How the hell did they get all those cats to sit in those boxes like that and not wander off.

I need answers.
>>
>implying i talk to anyone about music ever
>implying anyone hears the music when i play it
>>
7>1>3>2>5>4>6
>>
>>63934278
4>7>3>2>1>5>6
>>
>>63934278
>>63934338
2 > 1 >3 = 5 >7 > 4 >6
>>
this is now a cat rating thread
>>
>>63934278
>>63934338
>>63934372
It's settled. 4 is best due to highest average and 6 can go fuck itself.
>>
File: yowhatami.png (752 KB, 700x992) Image search: [Google]
yowhatami.png
752 KB, 700x992
>>63934099

This is true, context means everything. Genres can be almost useless depending on who you're talking to. If you can't even agree on the terms you're using you can't have a proper discussion.

"Screamo" for example would be a useless descriptor to use in casual conversation because most people I talk to in the real world would associate that with bands that I don't, while on /mu/ it's much easier since there's a very broad amount of content posted here and people have a better understanding of different genres.

Pressure to conform is large factor too - nobody wants to appear uncultured or stupid and since most people do judge a person based on their tastes it's advantageous to conform when it's easier than getting in an argument that will go nowhere.
>>
>>63934402
7 is best cat
>>
>>63934402
it seems like 1, 3 or 7 should end up with a higher average than 4
>>
File: dougal.jpg (115 KB, 500x387) Image search: [Google]
dougal.jpg
115 KB, 500x387
>>63934197

>not having complete and total control over your cats.

kek you probably listen to shit music too.
>>
>>63934430
Look at what a fat piece of shit 7 is and that lazy posture. You know that cat is a total asshole.

6 can just die.

5 is a totally coked out nutter. He's fucking Super Hans from Peep Show. You know he's just going to do the craziest shit and you always have to be careful around him.

4 is just perfect. I don't know what it is but every fiber of my body is saying yes.

2 and 3 look calm, collected, and level header. You know they're going to be there looking after you, setting you straight, giving you advice and shit. 3 looks slightly more playful while 3 is just your submissive moe type.

1 seems super chill, he's the kind of cat you can listen to atmospheric sludge metal with cuddled up.
>>
>>63933986
>Am I wrong?

Yes. It's okay though, I remember when I went through my pseudo-intellectual bullshit phase at 14 too.
>>
>>63934485
Meant 3.
>>
File: corgiinaswing.jpg (106 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
corgiinaswing.jpg
106 KB, 500x667
>>63934687

Ya well ur gay lol
>>
>>63934278
4 > 2 > 3 >1 > 6 > 7 >5
>>
2>all
>>
>>63934278
>>63934338
>>63934372
>>63934402
wow, what enormous faggots. what is wrong with 6???? obviously you're just following the first poster fucking poseurs !! the worst cat is 5 by a large margin. goodbye gays
>>
>>63934925
At least 5 has a personality 6 is just an extra that typically gets killed off first during any horror movie. Nobody gives a shit about his stupid ass downs face.
>>
>>63934925
sorry your cat looks like 6 my man, but orange cats are literally the worst cats ever, and always will be
they are miserable piles of neuroses who think they are people
absolutely disgusting
>>
I was actually reading an interview a while ago with an artist and he said that he often thought about how differently his music would be received if he could just somehow release the music with no track titles, no art, no identity, no band name, name, no image whatsoever - it would be based purely on sound and he found that appealing. he then said that even if he did that, wouldn't that become a gimmick and image in itself? a total lack of aesthetics or reference would in turn define the music and therefore attract a certain type of listener or audience.

in the end it just comes down to the fact that music can't exist in a vacuum.
>>
>>63935045
sounds like a nightmare for my folder structure and id3 tagging
>>
someone post kt
>>
>>63934402
Gotta give it up for Number 1, he gives absolutely zero fucks.
>>
alright bud just give me 2 and 3 and i'll be on my way without any ruckus. also 5, little fucker looks like an absolute ledge
>>
>>63934197
Cats fucking love boxes, bro.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.