[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Modern Recording.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
File: Modern Recording.jpg (194 KB, 2048x1374) Image search: [Google]
Modern Recording.jpg
194 KB, 2048x1374
Modern Recording.
>>
yup
>>
1910 = music started
>>
>>63931484
What's your point ? Is there one at all ?

The mp3 will be listened hundreds of time by millions of people.
>>
>>63931650
the point is that a lot of time and effort is put into hte quality of the recording but your average pleb doesnt give a shit and listens to 156kbps youtube rips on 12 dollars ear buds.
>>
>>63931650

I think the point is crystal clear. I can't believe you even asked that question.
>>
>>63931719
>plebs don't fully enojy music
no shit Sherlock

>>63931759
nice way to start a debate
>>
>computer with protools
>$20,000

are you fucking kidding me
>>
>>63931719
People in the 60s listened to expensively recorded albums on shit turntables. Not really any different now.
>>
>>63931814

Nope. Go price a Pro Tools HD system. In addition to the software itself, you need their DSP card(s), which are expensive as fuck.

Personally, Apple Logic for me. Fuck a bunch of Pro Tools. AVID sucks.
>>
>>63931819

Oldfag here. Back in the 70s and 80s, LOTS of people had decent-to-good home stereos. It was a point of pride for a lot of people. I grew up listening to music on some pretty fine stereos. A far better experience than earbud hell.
>>
>>63931956
fuck it's always creepy when people like this post. fuck how did you end up this way?
>>
>still using mp3 in 2000 fucking 16
>>
>>63932570
Holy fuck, people like you are triggering me so hard.
Please educate yourself.
>>
>>63932627
>Please educate yourself.
You should try that and learn that MP3 has been deprecated by AAC, Opus, Vorbis and FLAC.
>>
>vintage microphones
Sure, if you produce placebocore beta indie
>>
>>63931484
>vintage
>tube
I love this meme so much.
>>
>>63931819
Turntables in the 70s and 80s were fucking god tier, especially 80s.

People at large have legitimately stopped caring about music over time, senpai. That's not just lewronggeneration shit. People don't want to own music, they don't care if they listen to it through terrible equipment at low fidelity, they don't give a shit about lyrics. The times of virtually everyone spending 12 dollars on a new album and going home and looking through inserts and lyrics sheets while the music plays on a nice stereo setup are gone. Music isn't important anymore.
>>
>>63932889
>That's not just lewronggeneration shit.

Just because you say it doesn't make it less true anon.

Stupid and whiny statement.
>>
File: spider.png (6 KB, 230x230) Image search: [Google]
spider.png
6 KB, 230x230
>>
>>63932889

This.

Listening to music used to be an activity. You sat down and actually LISTENED to music. You didn't do anything else, you just listened. Really listened.

Now, music is accompaniment. You listen to music while doing other things. And make no mistake -- if you're doing anything else besides just listening to music, you're not really listening. It's half-assed attention at best.
>>
not a spider
>>
>>63932990
Bad timing, memes will make a good post out to be a joke.

>>63932976
And just because YOU and maybe me, and some kid who sifts through wax in the nearby record store actually pays attention to what they listen to and connects to it doesn't mean people en masse still do.

Face it, anon. People who actually care about what they listen to are a dying breed. The excessive availability of music has caused a saturation, and now people treat music like a commodity and let it play in the background without paying attention to it because fuck it pandora radio is just playing stuff and it's free and they don't care what it is.
>>
I heard some original recording on ampex in some mixing monitors once and it was fucking amazing
>>
>>63931484
>In contrast to the lucrative deal, Greer mentions that "The cost for recording Alien Lanes, if you leave out the beer, was about ten dollars."
AUDIOFAGS BTFO
>>
>>63932889
You have no idea what you're talking about. There are tons of shitty turntables produced throughout history; lots of people in the 60's and 70's had the equivalent of Crosleys and tons of people owned those huge all-in-one consoles that had an absolute shit turntable built into them. There are tons of excellent units being built today that are much better than what we had back then.
>>
File: heartattack.jpg (933 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
heartattack.jpg
933 KB, 3264x2448
>>63933011
Nice try
>>
>>63933040
I reject, by principle, every statement, in every domain, pretending that "old times were better times" or some shit.

It's never constructive and usually compares things that have nothing to do with each other.

Just because time changes doesn't mean new generations have turned to shit and everyone is going to hell.
>>
File: image.jpg (180 KB, 467x467) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
180 KB, 467x467
>>63933115
fuck
>>
>>63931484
>implying I'm going to give them any money
>>
>>63932286
It's not creepy at all, I think you're just retarded
>>
>>63933040
>now people treat music like a commodity
Music has been a commodity ever since people discovered they could make money from it.

>>63932990
>Listening to music used to be an activity. You sat down and actually LISTENED to music. You didn't do anything else, you just listened. Really listened.

Ah, so the people who were obsessed with The Osmonds and Maureen Mcgovern in the 70s REALLY REALLY LISTENED to their wonderful music. Come the fuck on, someone listening to Taylor Swift today is really no different than listening to the shitty top chart music of yonder.
>>
>>63933123
>I reject, by principle, every statement, in every domain, pretending that "old times were better times" or some shit.

Good for you. But that doesn't make me wrong. If you don't give a shit if most people treat music like background noise then good for you, but it annoys me and I'm factually correct in saying that most people don't connect to music like they used to. It used to cost more, it was harder to get your hands on, it was harder to play and listen to it. The excessive availability and convenience has killed the average person's connectivity with music. They don't pay for it, they can stream it right to their computer or phone.

>>63933194
>Ah, so the people who were obsessed with The Osmonds and Maureen Mcgovern in the 70s REALLY REALLY LISTENED to their wonderful music.

Yes, you fucking idiot. They actually paid for it. They heard it on the radio and wanted it so much that they went out and bought a physical copy of their full albums, then went home and sat down and listened to it. Someone can be a HUYUUUGEE fan of taylor swift and just listen to some playlist of her VEVO videos on youtube and let them play in the background while they do something else.

You connect less to music when you don't pay for it and when it's handed to you like that, it's fucking obvious. And that's how most people "experience" music today.
>>
>>63933115

i would just hit that shade thing really hard
>>
>>63933194
>Ah, so the people who were obsessed with The Osmonds and Maureen Mcgovern in the 70s REALLY REALLY LISTENED to their wonderful music. Come the fuck on, someone listening to Taylor Swift today is really no different than listening to the shitty top chart music of yonder.

I can only speak from my personal experience. My friends and I used to hang out and listen to the stereo. It was quite common. We weren't unique.

And we didn't listen to The Osmonds.

We listened to Pink Floyd. The Allman Brothers. Yes. King Crimson. The Who. The Rolling Stones. Muddy Waters. Herbie Hancock. Return To Forever. And so forth.
>>
>>63931484
Abosolutely wrong. This is Facebook tier b8. I can't believe you guys are falling for this.

The modern recording is Pirated DAW ($0), Pirated software ($0) > Pirated MP3 or Streaming ($0) > A variety of mediums depending on the end user and no, 99% of the populace is not using earbuds (beats have a market for a reason and believe it or not they wouldn't be awful headphones if they were priced properly).

Fuck off and kill yourself OP.

Go back to Facebook and Reddit with this cringey wrong generation shitpost.
>>
>>63931595
underrated kek
>>
>felling for the analog meme
sup r*ddit
>>
>>63933240
>I'm factually correct in saying that most people don't connect to music like they used to

[citation needed]

>>63932889
You realize more vinyls were sold in 2015 than in the past 20 years right? Kys

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl_revival
>>
>>63933602
>[citation needed]

Nice meme.

>>63933602
>You realize more vinyls were sold in 2015 than in the past 20 years right? Kys

>vinyls
>mobile link
>not knowing that the amount of money gained by the industry is what's spiking and it's solely because records are so much more expensive now than they used to be rather than actual units sold

Oh boy.
>>
>>63933240
>You connect less to music when you don't pay for it
So someone buying The Osmonds 45 in the 70s connected with it more than someone who illegally downloaded Pet Sounds and commonly discusses it on /mu/, gotcha
>>
>>63933375

Sure, the majority of people are recording with shoestring budgets.

But if you have cash to throw at it, a setup like OPs pic shows is quite common. A quality signal path going into the converters = better results. No way to get around it.

Now, the bit about mixing on a large analog desk (like an SSL, for example) is questionable, I think. "Get it out of the box, man. Let the tracks breath."

Andrew Scheps, who mixed on a Neve desk for years and years, now mixes completely in the box, and claims to be getting BETTER results than he did with his Neve, and all the expensive outboard gear.
>>
>>63933697
That's not how it works, bud. It's a rule of thumb sort of deal. Sure, there are exceptions, but in general, someone who just has something pass in and then out again for free and with no effort required on their part is less likely to appreciate it.

This is common fucking sense, you idiot. Apply to literally anything. Will you enjoy a tasty cake more if you buy it pre baked at the local grocery store or if you make it yourself through a recipe in a cookbook? Will you be more proud of your computer if you build it yourself or if you buy one pre-built?

When shit is handed to you, you appreciate it less. When you work very little for something, you appreciate it less. This is common. Fucking. Sense.
>>
>>63933813
Not the person you're replying to, but this argument is completely subjective, and doesn't even seem to apply to the argument about music.
>>
This whole thread is fucking stupid. The dumb OP image is saying that we spend so much money recording and producing music only to waste it on shitty Apple earbuds playing the mp3s at 128kb/s.

People have always listened to music on garbage setups. Sure, you can say that more people had better setups in the 70s and 80s, but who gives a fuck? The general public ALWAYS goes towards what is most convenient, cheap, and easy for THEM. There's a reason why cassettes, portable CD players, and iPods were industry leaders: because they were the easiest solutions at the time. And none of those had 'audiophile quality' sound.
>>
>>63933684
>"I'm factually correct"
>no facts brought up
>thinks I'm memeing when I ask for facts
>thinks hot opinions are facts
>can't figure out how to convert a mobile link to a normal one
>didn't read the article which included UNITS SOLD

How old did you say you were again?
>>
File: image.png (11 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
image.png
11 KB, 500x400
>>63933684
>not knowing that the amount of money gained by the industry is what's spiking and it's solely because records are so much more expensive now than they used to be rather than actual units sold

Wrong.
>>
>>63933941
>In some territories, vinyl is now more popular than it has been since the late 1980s, though vinyl records still make up only a marginal percentage (<6%) of overall music sales.

You are next level fucking retarded, dude.
>>
>>63934005
>comparing sales now to periods where CDs replaced records

No shit it's higher now. But see >>63934007
>>
>>63931484
Fucking disgusting, why would anyone use this ancient """"vintage"""" recording tech that is clearly inferior to modern digital tech.
DDD is the only way bruh, fucking luddites ruining digital music with their nostalgia fueled raid of the musem of obsolete technology.
>>
Boy I hate all these f*king cretins in this new generation that just listen to Miley Crytus and Justine Beeber on their $2 earbuds and their phone!
Back in le good old days music used to really mean something, people sat down, put on a record and actually LISTENED rather than browsed tinder like all the le 12 year old sluts do these days when 'listening' to (c)rap music.
Keep music alive, don't let it die and FUCK JUSINE BEEBER!!!!
Thumbs up if u agree :^)
>>
>>63932990
>Spider
>Wants me to sit down and not move

nice fuckin' try buddy
>>
>>63934007
> It used to cost more, it was harder to get your hands on, it was harder to play and listen to it.
>records are so much more expensive now than they used to be

lmao

>In some territories, vinyl is now more popular than it has been since the late 1980s, though vinyl records still make up only a marginal percentage (<6%) of overall music sales.

Yes, look at the percentage now instead of the trend line that suggests more people are actually starting to care about owning physical media again which was to counter your claim that nobody gives a shit about owning music anymore (not true by the way).

Seriously just stop, it's embarrassing.
>>
>>63934579
>lmao

Are you an idiot?

Records are not only NOT the only way to listen to music, they're the least common way. See >>63934007

Records cost more than they used to, but you know what costs WAY FUCKING LESS than records used to cost? Free fucking streaming, or like 5-10 dollars of a premium service that allows you virtually unlimited access to almost any music you can think of.

Grow a fucking brain, you functional retard.

>Yes, look at the percentage now instead of the trend line that suggests more people are actually starting to care about owning physical media again which was to counter your claim that nobody gives a shit about owning music anymore (not true by the way).

"Yes look at the percentage of people who actually spend money on physical copies of music as a basis of whether or not people still buy music and connect to what they buy"

No shit, retard.
>>
>>63931484
Buy MP3? lmao, that's a positive thought. Most people just stream. Face it, casual listeners may drive mainstream, but hardly anything that comes out on the mainstream has staying power. People who are actually listening generally have acts that, albeit hardly make money, may have some sustainability over time because people actually go to shows, buy merch, and buy music
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.