[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sonic Youth Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: 721px-SonicYouth.jpg (57 KB, 721x600) Image search: [Google]
721px-SonicYouth.jpg
57 KB, 721x600
How to get into Sonic Youth ?
Recommendations:
>>
There's definitely a flowchart somewhere on the wiki but I would say start with Daydream Nation, work your way backwards, then come back forwards.
>>
>How to get into Sonic Youth ?
Older cousin was into Dirty and Goo, but not much else. I kept going. My life is better than his.
>Recommendations:
Listen to it all.
>>
File: 1371325572327c.png (31 KB, 500x503) Image search: [Google]
1371325572327c.png
31 KB, 500x503
>>
>>63931170
Dirty and Goo are great pics to start with, but yeah go further into their discography

in my opinion all of their albums have a few great songs but plenty of shit.

A huge part of their appeal/importance is their ability to play their music live as-is on record, so pay attention to that. Also listen to the textures beneath the surface, that's a big part of it. And their use of tempo and their irregular melodies. Don't just go by hooks because that doesnt work for Sonic Yourh
>>
Daydream Nation first

Want something punkier? Try out EVOL and Sister.

Want something cleaner? Try Goo and Dirty.
>>
Bad Moon Rising, Evol, Sister and Daydream Nation is a great streak of albums, after that they're not that interesting IMO
>>
best albums to start with are probably daydream nation, sister, and goo
>>
>>63930973
The start.
>>
>>63930973
Here's the deal.

SY started extremely gloomy and chaotic, barely listenable no-wave. Then around Bad Moon Rising they started adding more melody, but still it was pretty early and rough around the edges.

They continued this with Evol, Sister, and finally achieved major critical recognition with Daydream Nation. All three are considered some of their best albums.

They then signed with Geffen. Their sound became a little bit more accessible on Goo, with less noise jams and more structure. Then Dirty was made with Butch Vig, the best-selling SY record of all time, having the standard alt-rock sound of the era. I'd say it was very accessible. They lost most of their gloom and gained some energy.

Then they went on to make shit. Until their gear was stolen. All their fucked up guitars with insane tunings they relied on.

So they started from clean sheet. Settled down. And started actually writing decent pop songs. This was the case with Murray Street, Sonic Nurse, and finally Rather Ripped, which was in essence pop album.

Everything aside it is pretty much secondary.
>>
Listen to Catholic Block then thecrest of Sisyer then everything before it and nothing after
>>
>>63932211
A Thousand Leaves is GOAT
>>
Washing machine is best album but start with Daydream or sister better
>>
I didn't. Sonic Youth are shit.
>>
>>63933000
Also NYC Ghosts & Flowers.
>>
>>63930973
Listen to the fall instead. Start with slates ep.
>>
>>63933206
nah

>>63933236
fuck nah
>>
>>63932211
>no mention of Washing Machine
M8
>>
>>63933258
Fair enough. Enjoy your pseudo-expetimental indie hacks.
>>
>>63933342
That is the fall though
>>
>>63930973
Daydream Nation or Sister

entire discography is essential though, incredible band, make sure you listen to the no wave stuff and don't just stick with the "alternative" noise rock
>>
>>63932211
>gloomy chaotic barely listenable
confirmed for never actually listening to Sonic Youth EP.

OP if you like no wave try EP, confusion is sex or bad moon rising

for noise rock try evol, sister or daydream nation

for grunge/their pop phase try goo, dirty or washing machine

for their last phase the only worthwhile albums are sonic nurse and murray st. The latter is actually one of their best albums.
>>
>>63932211
>>63933481
come on faggots
thousand leaves is dope as fuk
the eternal is dope as fuck
you even admit murray st is dope as fuck, when except for two songs its not s dope as say the eternal
pop music - fuck you - they just know what theyre doing
>>
>>63933682
>eternal
>good

good one m8
>>
>>63930973
i dont like you already op. why do you need instructions to get into a band? if you like it, it will draw you in, and you will go for more, if not, why force it? futhermore seeing that sonic youth is and old iconic band i get the feeling you want to get into it for prestige reasons, which i absolutely despise
>>
>>63930973
Their s/t
>>
>>63930973
WASHING MACHINE
>>
>>63933000
It's good but it was a pretty complicated time for the band, IMO starting to listen there can be kinda confusing. So I put it as secondary.
>>
File: reconsider suicide.png (132 KB, 451x305) Image search: [Google]
reconsider suicide.png
132 KB, 451x305
>>63933682
>>
>>63934971
this is pretty stupid, sure they're an iconic band but maybe OP thought that it might be music that he would enjoy. For certain artists listening chronologically may not work because their style changed over time, like sonic youth, so getting a feel for what you may like the most before diving in and turning yourself off of a band isn't a bad idea. Why so negative man?
>>
>>63933260
I'm not saying it's not good, I'm simply saying it's not the perfect album to start from. It doesn't have the energy of Daydream Nation or Dirty or other earlier records. Of course Diamond Sea is amazing, so is Junkie's Promise, but there is some pretty underwhelming stuff too. It can be confusing to new listeners IMO.
>>
>>63935086
because i cant wrap my head around the fact that op would willingly rob himself of the joy of discovery that i personally love about music
>>
File: le nigger man.png (24 KB, 78x109) Image search: [Google]
le nigger man.png
24 KB, 78x109
>>63931240
>>
post flowchart
>>
>>63935286
if someone else recommends something to you, the joy of listening to something new is gone? Is it the joy of discovering for yourself that turns you off of OP's post?
>>
>>63931240
Always correct
>>
>>63935404
no its not gone. its not that someone else recommends it, but that he's askig for it. kinda the lost joy of discovering for yourself yeah
>>
>>63930973
Listen to Daydream Nation and maybe Sister
>>
File: hip-hair.jpg (58 KB, 865x398) Image search: [Google]
hip-hair.jpg
58 KB, 865x398
>>63930973
How to get into SY:
1. Be a Dad. This is dadrock.
2. Listen to Daydream Nation
3. then maybe Evol

if you don't like DN or Evol, of if you're under about 40, man you're just not goona into Thurston and the gang.
>>
the eternal is dope
chelsea light moving is dope
the best day is dope
>>
Washing Machine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbeNGHhYTdg
>>
sonic bump
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.