[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Memes aside, does anyone here enjoy the music of TOOL? Even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot_2016-04-09-14-21-31.png (219 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-09-14-21-31.png
219 KB, 1080x1920
Memes aside, does anyone here enjoy the music of TOOL?

Even just casually?
>>
>>63929628
No, prog wank and "muh spiritualism, third eye bro DMT lmao".
>>
When you're listening to Tool, just remember that they're not like other bands. Their music is incredibly artistic, almost to the point where you have to be paying complete attention to them to even remotely understand them. I remember listening to a song on Lateralus (though I can't remember what it was), where I thought a song was absolute bollocks during the listen. Then, I closed my eyes for a second, and all of a sudden the song had an entirely new meaning. It was insane the way Tool could just become something so different when you take a look into the music.

Another thing you should note about Tool is that it's easy to get a headache listening to them. Not because they're a bad band, but because of how many ideas their music is riddled with and how complex they are. Soon enough your head will fill to the brim and the rest will just sound like noise to you. Just turn it off and give it a listen the next day.

If you don't like the music, you'll definitely at least enjoy reading through the lyrics, and picking apart the song itself and all of the artistic values that go into making it the complexity that it is.
>>
>>63929628

Yeah I liked Lateralus (song and album) a fair bit, a few tracks off of Undertow, and some of Aenema. I kind of like the lyrics too
>>
>>63929628
I do
>>
what makes a 2.0 album better than a 1.9?
>>
They're alright

Nowhere as good as edgy normies think they are and nowhere as bad as edgy beta P4K followers think they are
>>
I like a few tracks from aenima, which i had in middle school, but haven't gone bothered to listen to their other stuff. pretty much nostalgia power only.
>>
I used to be obsessed with the when i was 14-17. They make me cringe now
>>
Not hugely but Maynard had an amazing voice. Loves his duet with Tori Amos and really enjoy Puscifer a lot.
>>
>>63929656
chill senpai, DMT goes hard.
>>
I enjoy Tool and yes I used to be one of those "Tool GOAT better than everything" kind of guys, but I've grown out of it.

Whenever I go back to them though I still find their music to be great and even though some of the lyrics can be pretty hamfisted they're still very good and meaningful.

I used to be a big APC fan too, but when I go back and listen to them the lyrics really do bother me.

>>63929784
*cringe*
>>
>>63929728
>>
yeah it's cool. used to be super into them, now it's just whatever. seems like a pretty common story on here
>>
WHY DONT YOU KIDS LIKE THE TOOL?
>>
>>63929784
you didn't grow up as much as you think you did.
>>
>>63929683
The same can be said about King Crimson. I remember when I first got into prog rock. My ears weren't used to that kind of sounds and I binge listened to the first 4-5 of their albums... I felt as if hundreds of people were shouting at me at the same time. The more I've listened to them and other prog rock bands, the more I've been able to enjoy the music, without feeling dizzy and disoriented. Maybe I should've started with Genesis, because in my opinion they have the most approachable sound for a prog rock beginner.
>>
I was competently oblivious but a couple friends dragged me to their set at bonnaroo 07.

Best live show I've ever seen by a large margin. I didn't know any of the songs but they were really great and the stage show was fantastic. Their lead singer was hilarious between songs making fun of hippies. Tom Morello came out and did a solo.

Still listen to the bootleg from time to time, never got into their recorded albums. Saw them one time after that in Australia and it was just as good.

Bonnaroo bootleg for the 2 of you who might be interested:

https://youtu.be/jgEiQ5-fZFQ
>>
>>63929845
/r/theydidthemath

xD
>>
>>63930202
woah hahaha holy shit nice post dude hahaha

can we make this a new meme? like batman or whatver
>>
File: 1410608292228.jpg (49 KB, 469x463) Image search: [Google]
1410608292228.jpg
49 KB, 469x463
>>63929683
>>
>>63929784
>they make me cringe now
not gonna lie, that's pretty cringy
>>
>>63929683
desu m8 shut the fuck up
>>
>>63929628
I unironically loved Tool in my senior year of high school/first years of college.
Sadly, I played their albums so much that I burned out on them. Even after a few years not listening to them, I still get bored when I go back to them.

Aenima was always my favorite from them. It's still a great album, regardless of the memes. Third Eye is a GOAT album closer.
>>
They're pretty good. They have some interesting musical ideas and production going on. I'd say they're alt metal for people who don't really like metal.
>>
>>63929683
Their music is Magical.

It took me a long time to get into and understand what all the admiration was about, but after I've finally broken into it...it's like their music is on an entirely different level. I started out on Opiate, I listened to it once, didn't get much out of it. Then I saw Escape From LA, and the director John Carpenter uses the song "Sweat" to perfect effect in the beginning of the film, and it just haunted me. I listened to Opiate again and it's like every time I listened to it, it eerily got better and better and became one of my favorite albums in a very short period of time.

Next I listened to Lateralus. Once again, didn't think much of it. Seemed like Tool was just experimental and overrated. Then listened to it again the next day... and it's like something unlocked in my mind overnight. The album was brilliant, amazing, and beautiful. It continued to get bigger and more incredible the more I listened to it. I've probably listened to it 50 times since then.

Yesterday, listened to Aenima. Remember feeling disappointed that it was no Lateralus. Listened again today, and it's brilliant, haunting, and marvelous. Tool does something I've never heard before; It's like they're playing with the very properties of music to set up something you can't understand at first, then blow your mind with a musical idea that couldn't have been understood or expressed in just a few playthroughs. Their music engages you on a spiritual level and shows you things you didn't know existed. If you don't like Tool, it's not because they're "overrated" or not as good as you've heard, it's because you haven't been enlightened. The best way to listen to them is to accept that the music is excellent and you're in good hands musically. If you try to judge it like you do most music, it will prevent you from understanding.
>>
>>63929683
>>63933455
where did you find this? people really sincerely say this shit keke
>>
>>63934012
One more:

To me, they represent an ordered chaos when nothing else seems to be. In our time of need, we often seek out control over things to make us feel more appreciated and give us worth. With control comes order. Having everything in perfect order comforts some people. This also goes along the path of people with OCD. Tool songs have such a rythmic pattern that can be so chaotic at times, yet remain in perfect pitch and perfect harmony. Every note seems like it falls into a puzzle where only that note can fit. If you try and think about a tool song going one way or another, possibly having a chorus happen later or adding a bridge or ending a solo on a different note, you will find yourself unable to comprehend anything other than what tool has bestowed upon us. In this way, to me at least, it is the perfect music. So calm, yet so busy. So full of emotion, yet so void of emotion. It can be as shallow as you want it or deeper than your mind could ever comprehend. Tool's music offers something for everyone. Most often, people consider them to be the "thinking mans metal" and I agree. I have had friends without a pea sized brain in their body and they know that tool is amazing, even if they only know a song or two. Yet, throughout my years of slaving over tools discography, I can still listen to a tool song and find hidden messages or meanings that were right before me my whole life. I was simply never in the mood or right state of mind at the time to understand the instruments and/or lyrics fully. Maynard says that Tool has never been the cause of anything, but rather a soundtrack to our lives, which we have always lived out with our own intentions. I agree with this in the fact that Tool has never actually caused me to do something that I would have never done on my own.

(1)
>>
>>63934057
(2)

All of my thoughts while listening to Tool have been my own. Tool has simply helped invoke deep thoughts of inner reflection and allowed me to see what I have really wanted all along, and thus, I act upon them. A sort of catalyst soundtrack, if you will, to the actions which represent me. All of this contributes to what Tool means to me. I have always agreed with the messages that they preach and they are a band that I have never, and will never, get tired of listening to. When I die, my gravestone will read "Ride the spiral to the end, you may just go where no one's been".
>>
>>63934012
As to where they're from, I believe the first one is a repurposed post about Queen from GameFAQs and the other two are from guitar forums.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.