[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is oasis the best thing that happened in the uk since the beatles?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: oa.jpg (10 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
oa.jpg
10 KB, 300x168
is oasis the best thing that happened in the uk since the beatles?
were they so important after all?
wanna read your opinions
>>
i can only name two of them
so no
>>
File: aphex-twin-electronic-beats[1].jpg (101 KB, 1000x849) Image search: [Google]
aphex-twin-electronic-beats[1].jpg
101 KB, 1000x849
kek
>>
Bait
>>
i just cant explain why they were so popular
besides i think noel is a really talented guy
>>
>>63926258
I like Oasis but they were one of the worst things to happen to UK music. Because of them every modern UK rock band imitates music of the 60s-80s instead of doing something new.
>>
>>63926258
Radiohead is

But oasis is a close second
>>
I tried listening to the first two Oasis albums and the songs seemed to primarily suck outside of the hit singles.
>>
>>63926258
A band of chavd that didn't do anything to expand British rock, completely fucking mediocre I'm every sense.
>>
>>63926628
You are retarded if this is what you think.
>>
still doesnt come anywhere near coldplay
>>
>>63926684
why is it that the only people on this board who use the word chav are murricans

could it be that they have no idea what a chav is
>>
>>63927146
as an american can confirm. it's just a fun word to say
>>
>>63927146
Oasis were proto-chavs
>>
>>63927356
nah more like casuals, or 3rd wave mods

never saw them wearing any burberry or hanging around ayia napa
>>
>>63927356

Chavs were a thing long before Oasis, what's more they were originally a southern English thing and Oasis are northern.

Anyway, Oasis were important for Britpop but nothing else. A lot of mediocre indie bands since owe their careers to them.
>>
>>63927428
>Chavs were a thing long before Oasis,

chavs weren't even thing before the late 90s, before that they were called scallies, or casuals (depending on how cool they were)
>>
They had hit singles that everyone will know forever. All but one of their albums sucked, their concerts sucked their videos sucked and they are such fucking pricks if you mention Oasis people will only talk of Liam's antics rather than their music. They turned britpop into a complete joke meant for nothing but ridicule.

Nobody is waiting for more music from Oasis.
>>
>>63927428
>Chavs were a thing long before Oasis, what's more they were originally a southern English thing and Oasis are northern.
Thats not true at all. Its a French word, and the north has always had more chavs, because chavs mostly come from poorer economic backgrounds.
>>
>>63927506

No.

Chav comes from chavvah, which is a gypsy word for kid or child. Chavs have been a thing down my way (chatham) well before the 90s.
>>
>>63927585

>French word

what the fuck are you talking about, it's from chavah/chavi
>>
>>63927630
you can argue about derivation all you like but you won't be able to find a single example of that word being used to describe young people from a poor background who wear burberry and bling, because it wasn't a thing

in fact you won't even be able to find an example pf the word chav being used to describe people in the uk at all

but carry on talking in an authoritative tone if it makes you feel big
>>
>>63927728

>wants proof of first use of a colloquialism based on the language of a migratory culture

Ok
>>
>>63927795
there isn't any

just relax, i know you want to sound old but trust me, i actually am old and you're wrong
>>
whats the story? is a great album. every song on that thing is catchy and the album flows from song to song smoothly. definitely maybe is cool too. i don't it is as catchy as whats the story? oasis sounded good and they were also fun to watch... the antics added to the coolness factor of the band.
>>
>>63927816

I'm 30.

I learnt what a 'chavi' or a 'chav' was from my parents. My fucking nan used to call scummy men chavis.

Just because you probably heard it first in the middle class swaddle of the Daily Mail doesn't mean people weren't using the language.
>>
>>63927935
honestly the first time i heard that word was about 98 but if you're saying you lot had it then i believe you
and dm? ha ok yeah i guess you felt like you had to do that
>>
File: jeezmancomeon.jpg (29 KB, 640x542) Image search: [Google]
jeezmancomeon.jpg
29 KB, 640x542
>>63926258
fucking radiohead
>>
>>63926258
>beatles
>good thing
>>
>>63926258
>is oasis the best thing that happened in the uk since the beatles?
definitely not. the stones, zeppelin, the smiths, the who etc can answer for that. oasis is close behind though.

>were they so important after all?
yes, in their heyday (94-96) they were the best band in the world at that point. they fell off shortly after though. they had some a few good songs here and there but they never came close to that level again.
>>
>>63929220
>oasis is close behind though.
I have no idea how anyone could seriously think this. British rock music used to be very forward thinking and Oasis ruined all of that. They made it hip to shallowly copy 60s-80s rock music.
>>
>is oasis the best thing that happened in the uk since the beatles?
I think that MAAAYYBBEEEEE
>>
Radiohead, obviously.
>>
>>63929374
there is only so far you can take music with guitars.

their songs are as good as almost anyone else's
>>
>>63927630
>Chatham
Christ I feel bad for you.
>>63926258
Radiohead.
>>
>Led Zeppelin
>Pink Floyd
>Radiohead
>He says Oasis
>Cringe
>>
Spacemen 3 was much much better than Oasis.
>>
>>63929686
Correct.
>>
>>63926258
Maybe if it weren't for Thom Yorke and good old ms. Thatcher.
>>
>>63931199
>good old ms. Thatcher
The best thing she did for the world was inspire "The Final Cut" by Pink Floyd, which isn't even THAT great of an album.
>>
>>63931199
NIGGA DEAD!
>>
>>63926293
Pretty amazing that he uses SuperCollider. I've tried getting into playing with music, but I'm terrible with it all.
>>
>>63927658
Always thought it was an acronym for council housed and violent.
>>
>>63926258
>my bloody valentine
>radiohead
>slowdive

Three bands already way better than Oasis.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.