[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Not recognizing the greatest music album of the century.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: beach-boys-smile-sessions.jpg (39 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
beach-boys-smile-sessions.jpg
39 KB, 300x300
>Not recognizing the greatest music album of the century.
>>
WIND CHIMES
>>
>>63923720
Pet Sounds is better and more consistent.
>>
Am I the only one who has an extreme hard on for placing "I'm In Great Shape" next to "Barnyard"?

Look up "The Barnyard Suite" on YouTube.

Is there anything else like SMiLE in terms of quality of the compositions, or even better the pastoral poetic lyrics?
>>
File: B-Dog.jpg (29 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
B-Dog.jpg
29 KB, 200x200
>>63923748

It is, but if SMILE had got completed, it would have blown Pet Sounds out of the water.

>>63923771

Try Tages self-debuted album.
>>
to be honest i enjoy it more than pet sounds
Listening to smile is like a fucking spiritual experience. I love pet sounds to death but i feel like smile is an evolution of everything pet sounds did and if it was released as intended we'd be having smile threads everyday and not pet sounds threads.
>>
>>63923809
>smile is an evolution of everything pet sounds
The sorts of orchestrations on SMiLE sound quite different to Pet Sounds though. There's a very lush and romantic feel to the Pet Sounds arrangements but SMiLE's are a lot more modern sounding and there's all the elements of Americana that weren't as obvious on Pet Sounds. I think Brian was very right to leave Good Vibrations off Pet Sounds, it fits much more strongly with the musical approach on the SMiLE material.
You could describe it as an evolution of Pet Sounds but it's a damn sharp one stylistically.
>>
>>63923809

A talented muscian like Brian Wilson who utilized psychedelic drugs could only make something as wonderful as SMILE.
>>
File: brian wilson beach.jpg (44 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
brian wilson beach.jpg
44 KB, 600x400
>you will never hear Smile for the first time ever again

Best track run in the album?
Vega-Tables - Holidays - Wind Chimes
for me

HNNNNNNNG
>>
>>63923893
Obviously I'm talking about Sessions tho which are fantastic
>>
>>63923893

I like all the songs, but I would say Heroes and Villains and Cabinessence are my favorites.
>>
>>63923893
Fuck man the first time i heard smile sessions i was stoned out of my mind and it fucking blew me away especially roll plymouth rock
>dat fucking hawaiian chanting sequence
So fucking hypnotic man
>>
>>63923933

You should listen to it while on LSD
>>
>>63923962
I plan to man if i ever get my hands on it
>>
>>63923970
I thought it was to be taken orally
>>
>>63924772
hoop it
>>
>The glass was raised, the fired rose
>The fullness of the wine, the dim last toasting

that rubato

and fucking
>A children's song
>Have you listened as they played
>Their song is love
>And the children know the way

absolutely perfect. and not to be DUDE WEED LMAO but listening to this album high is an absolutely religious experience
>>
The idea of hearing the fully mastered and completed record, spinning with a great sound system, is giving me a boner right now

That would have been fucking nuts in '67.
>>
I love the motif of "the child is the father of the man". For the person asking for similar stuff try van dykes song cycle, its really neat
>>
>>63925773

Is Van Dykes other albums worth it? Was thinking of listening to Yankee Reaper.
>>
>>63923748
Laughable opinion.
>>
File: 1364624874195.jpg (37 KB, 602x375) Image search: [Google]
1364624874195.jpg
37 KB, 602x375
>>63923748
>>
>>63923809
This tbqh family
Smile feels like an adventure
>>63923771
Thanks for recommending that, barnyard was amazing with the heroes and villains horn being played every so often
>>
>>63927135
Long story short: don't expect them to be anything like Song Cycle, and you may enjoy them
>>
>>63923809
i like them both for different reasons.
smile is an adventure
pet sounds is all about the feels
>>
MQR version is 11/10
>>
i love hendrix but the guy is a pleb for not liking this album
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.