[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Punk and New Wave did not revitalize rock, they only spelled
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 521x521) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 521x521
Punk and New Wave did not revitalize rock, they only spelled the death of authentic and original popular music. Sometime in the late 70s, music lost it's soul. Ever since then, it's been derivative forms repeated over and over with minor variations, like an Oriental rug pattern.

Prove me wrong
>>
Prove yourself right or go back to /r/music

>punk
>not authentic

are you dumb

and you do realize there's more music other than those two genres right
>>
>>63906177
It's still good music. Who cares?
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 500x273) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 500x273
>>63906234
Punk positions itself as the authentic rock and roll, but can only exist in opposition to that which came before.

It's nothing more than a copy of the style of The Who, plus some misplaced sense of rebellion.

It represents the triumph of politics over personality, intellectualism over emotion, and marketing over grassroots discovery. Even though it asserts in it's content it is the opposite of all these things, you can't deny the form it takes as a form of musical nihilism.
>>
>>63906370
Listen to this track by the New York Dolls, considered one of the original purveyors of punk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1I4A5yazr4

Notice the lead guitar aping the style of Chuck Berry, and the piano added the background track disingenuously invoking Honky Tonk. Musically it's nothing more than pastiche.
>>
>>63906827
Now listen to this piece of pure cultural expression, the height of popular music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPmruHc4S9Q

Within a few bars, it is clear this is original and authentic expression of the people. The virtuosity of the player skillfully takes the listener on a journey through the composition, which in it's essence is a symbol of infinite space. Unlike the emotionally hollow music of today, which is all surface and no depth, this rendition envelops us in it, and places us directly in the center of the world-soul of the American people. It symbolizes the spirit of the volk which comes from the Earth, the raw material of culture which once exhausted can never be recovered.
>>
>>63906370
>It's nothing more than a copy of the style of The Who, plus some misplaced sense of rebellion.
Into the trash.jpg

This nigga' ain't never heard a punk album in his life.
>>
>>63907091
>one of the first punk artists are blues influenced! chew on that, punkers!

>It represents the triumph of politics over personality, intellectualism over emotion, and marketing over grassroots discovery. Even though it asserts in it's content it is the opposite of all these things, you can't deny the form it takes as a form of musical nihilism.

rites of spring
>>
>>63906370
>can only exist in opposition to that which came before.
I agree. That fact's impact on people's enjoyment of the music itself is nonexistent though.
>>
New wave was the last truly unique genre. Prove me wrong.
>>
New wave was incredibly unique, utilizing synthesizers alongside rock instruments to make music that's barely even recognizable as a form of rock. Even the way they sang was completely unlike previous rock music.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (14 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
14 KB, 225x225
would /mu/ consider her new wave??
>>
>>63907895
No, it's synthpop. A lot of new wave bands have been retroactively labeled synthpop but not all synthpop is new wave.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.