[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /mu/ hate authentic talented artists (ex: Tool, Dream
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: horsemanure.jpg (14 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
horsemanure.jpg
14 KB, 318x159
Why does /mu/ hate authentic talented artists (ex: Tool, Dream Theater, Steven Wilson) but praise the fuck out of this hipster horse manure.
>>
because we're all awful, horrible people
>>
>>63905036
b8/10
>>
>>63905036
because they are nu-males who hate anything remotely associated with masculinity. that's why metal makes them prodormal
>>
>>63905379
said the neckbeard, as he laughed while drinking his fourth can of coke today. He would have his hourly far, but he's fresh out of lotion and mommy hasn't gone shopping yet.
>>
>>63905379
I mean Steven Wilson looks pretty gay and James LaBrie sings like a faggot...
>>
>>63905379

>DT
>Steven Wilson

>remotely masculine music

lmao

Listen to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njMgeThQvS8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0UxKY6ynq0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGp1h3b-VKw
>>
>>63905416
said the hipster while listening to Swans for the fourth time today
>>
>>63905467

Swans is much manlier than fucking Dream Theater, though.
>>
>>63905467
The neckbeard laughs. "Hah! Another internet argument won! Those silly anons shouldn't mess with me." He stands up for the second time in 12 hours and draws on his whiteboard. That's the 48th argument he won this month!
>>
>>63905459
Disregard masculinity unless you're insecure yourself, those hacks have no talent.
>>
>>63905493
If anyone here looks like a neckbeard, it's you.
>>63905486
Masculine =/= talent
>>
>>63905493
the fact I succeed in ''triggering'' you with the term 'nu-male' suggests it does indeed wound you at some subconscious level. like papaw used to say there aint no smoke without fire ahaha
>>
>>63905036
because faggots with no talents like bands filled with faggots with no talent. they like clowns that just bang on their instruments and put it through a fuck ton of reverb then call it an album instead of people who actually know how to fucking play
>>
>>63905036
le complex music occult meme bands xD
prog is soo cool!!
>>
>>63905652
Why venerate edgy college garage bands (most /mu/core) when you can appreciate something that requires actually knowing about music theory? Because you can't correctly play anything yourself.
>>
superior intelligent artists for superior intelligent listeners, such as myself
>>
>>63905739
they play in 7/4 and 11/2 so their music must be good and enjoyable!! they are so complex! no one understands me not even my mom!
Dream theater 4 life i want to play te guitar like em.
>>
>>63905493
Ever thought of applying that shitposting talent into writing or poetry?
>>
>>63905826
>11/2
Found the pleb.
>>
Because Tool and Dream Theater are extremely flawed artist while Animal Collective has made some of the best pop albums of the 2000s.

Tool's technical skill might very well be impressive but it simply doesn't translate into anything notable. The very few strengths are simply shrouded through overdone riffs, droll and dreary atmospherics, and a lack of real progression compared to some of their peers. Tool may be complex but this complexity isn't compelling because it's a clear imitation (or blueprint) of artists that are more adventurous and more notable

Same deal for Dream Theater. There's substance, but the style just isn't there. In fact the pure undiluted substance is used as a crutch because the music DT plays is painfully ordinary.

Steven Wilson is great though. He may deny it but he's one of the best pop songwriters and producers of the past decade.
>>
>>63905946
I will agree on Dream Theater because it's based off of going ''gotta go fast'' with scales with no emotional value whatsoever, specially Petrucci.

But I want you to name one artist that sounds identical to Tool, I dare you.
>Inb4 A Perfect Circle joke

And I don't find it insulting to call Steven Wilson a pop artist at all.
>>
>>63905946
>Animal Collective

everything after this is invalid
>>
>>63905036
>Dream Theater
I'm a prog fan and I hate them
>>
>>63906343
You can't deny the skillz tho
>>
File: Avrill.jpg (28 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Avrill.jpg
28 KB, 300x300
>>63906067
Deftones, King Crimson, Neurosis, Devin Townsend, Soundgarden.

>inb4 that sounds nothing like Tool

Look, it's actually rare that a band actually sounds EXACTLY like another one. The point I'm trying to make is that the various elements Tool incorporate in their songs have been done and done better. It all results in this incredibly beige songs in which the elements that are supposed to be their main draw are undermined because they're clearly a shadow of both the bands before them and the bands who took influence from them.

>>63906184
So you think Tool and Dream Theater are flawed artist? Thanks. I'm glad you agree with me.
>>
>>63906384
I dont care about Tool or Dream Theatre but Animal Collective is even worse. Worst kind of garbage that /mu/ worships. It's the kind of trash that someone who somehow found after listening to pop music their whole life and they think it's just so deep and complex and amazing when it's actually complete fucking SHIT
>>
>>63906384
wat
You really expect an artist to not have any influences of anything?
>>
File: avril-is-confused-500x375.jpg (45 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
avril-is-confused-500x375.jpg
45 KB, 500x375
>>63906624
I don't know why you twisted my words to even think I ever implied that but no. I expect an artist to have influences but I also expect an artist to do things unique from their influences or at least emphasize certain qualities. Tool have failed on both accounts because while Tool takes qualities from a multitude of bands, they fail to be unique from them, nor emphasize them effectively, leading to an droll, beige Nutraloaf of a band devoid of compelling content
>>
>>63906904
I will not take an opinion from someone who cited Animal Collective as one of the greatest bands of the 21st centruty and posts with Avril tripcodes.
>>
>>63906067
>name one artist that sounds identical to Tool
Rishloo
Karnivool
Chevelle
>>
File: avril-lavigne-1024.jpg (273 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
avril-lavigne-1024.jpg
273 KB, 1024x768
>>63907021
>I will not take an opinion from someone who cited Animal Collective as one of the greatest bands of the 21st century

I never said that though. I said that Animal Collective made some of the best pop albums of the 2000s. Animal Collective as a whole is actually very inconsistent so I wouldn't declare them as the greatest bands of the 21st century

>posts with Avril tripcodes

Avril is just too refined for filthy anon taste.
>>
>>63905467
>while listening to Swans for the fourth time today
>for the forth time
How do you measure how many times you've listened to a band?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.