[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>My bias is towards the music, not the lyrics: it is called
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 1456288029211.png (126 KB, 293x308) Image search: [Google]
1456288029211.png
126 KB, 293x308
>My bias is towards the music, not the lyrics: it is called "rock music", not "rock literature". And there's a reason: as literature, it is worth very little. Even the greatest rock lyricists are, at best, mediocre poets. No surprise, therefore, that i rarely mention the lyrics of a song. The overall feeling is, in general, much more important than the literal message.

What did he mean by this? Did he mean that he is actually an illiterate moron who can't understand deep lyrics? Fucking retard.
>>
He's right though, judging music by its lyrics are like judging a movie by its soundtrack. Both are important components, but will most often take the back seat to more important aspects.
>>
>>63901874
>i like muh lyrics over anemically strummed acoustic guitars: the post
end your life, peasant
>>
He mentions lyrics at the end of Faust, one of his highest rated albums.
>>
>>63901874
>Did he mean that he is actually an illiterate moron who can't understand deep lyrics?
No probably not.
>>
Scaruffi doesn´t understand english so it would be impossible for him too understand lyrics, therefor he pretends that the lyrics are not important
>>
>>63901874

why is he always so right?
>>
>>63902117
anon doesn't understand music therefore he pretends that lyrics and artist's personality are important
>>
>>63902183
fucking rekt lmao
>>
Songs are by definition lyrics and music put together, therefore to properly review a song you need to take both into consideration. Scaruffi knows this too, he just has a bad way of phrasing this. Dylan is one of his highest rated songwriters, his music has always been banal compared to his words.
>>
>>63902221
implying you weren't
>>
XDDDDDDD
>>
>>63902478
>hasn't heard Blonde on Blonde
>thinks early solo guitar albums were patrish
oh boy
>>
>>63902478

>Songs are by definition lyrics and music put together

wrong

>his music has always been banal compared to his words.

also wrong
>>
>>63902183
You clearly don't understand music if you don't understand how lyrics are not simply literary but innately musical as well
>>
>>63902478
This song.. Or wait not song? Has the best lyrics imo http://youtu.be/Fk8qcGOtBFw
>>
>>63902565
>A song is a single (and often standalone) work of music intended to be sung by the human voice with distinct and fixed pitches and patterns using sound and silence and a variety of forms that often include the repetition of sections. Written words created specifically for music or for which music is specifically created, are called lyrics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song
>>
File: giphy.gif (917 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
917 KB, 360x360
>>63902478
>all rock compositions are "songs"
>>
>>63902593
>poetic rhythm and music are the same
nigga, just stop
jump off a building
>>
as a non english native speaker, there are very little music lyrics worth checking out (artists like Joanna newsom, Bob Dylan, Cohen etc)
>>
>>63902721
>He doesn't understand speech melody
>He doesn't understand that Hymnal meter is different to poetic meter
>He doesn't understand that the meaning of lyrics is inherently tied to the context of the music and vice versa
l m a o
>>
>>63901874
he basically states that if you only take the lyrics of any good song, it would be mediocre compared to good poetry.
>>
>>63902797

and he is absolutely correct
>>
>>63902779
>he doesn't understand that most rockists write lyrics in hopes to give their lackluster compositions any merit
l m a o

good point on hymnal meter tho
>>
>>63901874
He is absolutely right, as always.
>>
scaruffi is a patrician and op is upset because he thinks rock lyrics are good
>muh stairway to heaven

even albums like hospice were the lyrics are important, they'd be meaningless without the music
>>
>>63901874
>filename not lusty negro attitudes

You had one job OP
>>
>>63901874

>lyrics
>deep

Read some classic poetry, pleb.
>>
gave up listening to lyrics years ago
>>
>>63903087
i can't remember the last time i gave a shit about lyrics. probably when i was 14 and thought all radiohead songs were 2deep4me
>>
Can we jstop shit bullshit and just talk about Shane Mcgowan instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZIISfOm3dI&nohtml5=False
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.