[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
rateyourmusic.com
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 13
File: png.png (39 KB, 716x418) Image search: [Google]
png.png
39 KB, 716x418
just started using rateyourmusic.com.
am I doing this right?
>>
>>63899375
not enough 5 stars
>>
is there any way to do it wrong
>>
>>63899388
Rating any mucore above a 3
>>
>>63899399
rofl
>>
>>63899375
Um, yeah
It's too bloated on 4.0 but I guess that's alright to someone who just started
>>
>>63899375
post username u fagtard
>>
post cringe accounts

https://rateyourmusic.com/~floatings
>>
As stated earlier, there is no wrong way to do it.
This actually looks like mine when I first started.
+ me!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~HurdyDurpy
>>
>>63899557
https://rateyourmusic.com/~DeBatata
https://rateyourmusic.com/~HurdyDurpy
>>
>>63899375
Greap
>>
>>63899423
that's probably because I started with artists I generally like.
>>
>>63899557
>>63899576
Nice
>>
>>63899375
>le bell curve meme
>>
>>63899399
>genuinely "critic" person
>people go mad over albums they love and give them 10s, i'm always around 6-7-8 scores
>they think i'm being pretentious or not happy with everything
>rate some albums 10/9
>"whoa anon, that's some high scores ahahah"
>>
>>63899557
https://rateyourmusic.com/~EntropyBlob
pretty much the worst user in the history of anything.
>>
>>63899375
you must customize you rating system; i would suggest 2+ stars for things you liked 2- stars for stuff you disliked and 2 stars for average
>>
>>63899716
>>63899557
What's wrong with these two?
>>
>>63899754
did you not look any of their ratings?
>Millionaires - Bling Bling Bling! 5/5
>only rates pop music, mostly singles
>also super shitty forum poster
everything about this user is pure cancer desu

I don't get the floating one though.
>>
Guys, can I get some insight into why people even have low ratings on their RYM accounts?

Like, for me, my account is entirely 3.5,4,4.5, or 5 star albums. because why would I want to listen to bad music just for the purposes of rating it? Like do you guys set out to listen to something thinking you will like it and then it turns our shit? I just struggle to understand how that can happen. Or do you go out of your way to 'challenge' yourselves with albums that you are aware you may not enjoy?

Genuine question, because I seem to be in the minority with my mostly high ratings.
>>
>>63899557
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Montie_Ray

Montie is DISGUSTING
>>
>>63899810
It's impossible to know whether something is good or bad before you listen to it, despite what this place may have led you to believe.
>>
>>63899810
You can't know if you like something until you try it. Also I've given things with high ratings a low score, like I gave Low End Theory a .5, images and words a 1, Lightning to Nations a 1.5. I also gave the new After the Burial a 4, and plenty of other lower rated albums high scores. Basically have your own opinions and don't let the rym score influence whether you listen to something or not.
>>
>>63899854
>>63899870
Right, but like, if you're listening to genres and artists that you already like, how can you be blindsided by something you dislike? I get the whole exploring new genres thing, but maybe I just do a lot of research before I give Something a go, so I generally like everything I listen to.

>>63899870
See, this I can't really do. I mean if something has a 4+ on RYM, then it must be a pretty universally lauded album. There's just no way I'm going to dislike it, unless I'm going out of my way to nitpick negatives, or be purposely contrarian. There is not a single album I have ever downloaded that I have gone on to dislike.
>>
>>63899948
Because evidently there's good and lame in all music genres, even ones I love

>See, this I can't really do.

Then you're a tool. There's a good reason why you have to be 18 or older to use this site, you know.
>>
>>63899948
>I mean if something has a 4+ on RYM, then it must be a pretty universally lauded album. There's just no way I'm going to dislike it, unless I'm going out of my way to nitpick negatives, or be purposely contrarian.
holy mother of shit kill yourself what the fuck
actual cancer post right there
>>
>>63899976
Ah, Yes. Because I just like all the music I listen to I must be under 18.

>>63899982
The score itself is a general indication of the albums quality you fool. If a movie has a shit-load of Oscars, I can safely assume that its going to be a halfway decent film. I use RYM so that I'm not wasting what little time I have listening to shit albums, when there's too many great albums out there that I will never even get to hear.
>>
>>63899557
H E R E

https://rateyourmusic.com/~rndrna
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myskinn
https://rateyourmusic.com/~s_burr
https://rateyourmusic.com/~haruyaishizuka
https://rateyourmusic.com/~vandelay__
>>
>>63900066
>The score itself is a general indication of the albums quality you fool
wew
t. someone who isn't an individual and doesn't have their own taste.
>>
>>63900066
No, you're under 18 because you can't think for yourself, as you have admitted. How stupid are you?
>>
>>63900100
>>63900105
OK, so you're both just contrarian fags. The difference between you and me is that I don't give a fuck if my thinking is in line with the majority. But if you need to feel like a special little snowflake by giving "things with high ratings a low score" then good for you.
>>
>>63900167
How the fuck are you not following what we're saying to you, let alone what you're saying yourself? It doesn't matter if you like everything you listen to or dislike everything you listen to, if you let something's SCORE on a website influence your opinion on the MUSIC then you're a fucking tool. It is that simple.
>>
>>63900167
Or maybe I can give things with high ratings sometimes a high score and sometimes a low score depending on whether or not I like it because i actually have my own opinions and tastes? Post profile.
>>
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Fanchus

Pennis but also dicke and balls
>>
>>63900183
The score doesn't influence my opinion you retard. It tells me the general consensus surrounding an album BEFORE I listen to it. So I can say to myself "Oh, this album gets lots of 5 star ratings, it MIGHT be quite good". By doing this, I limit my exposure to POTENTIALLY bad albums, and instead listen to more POTENTIALLY good albums. Fuck you're thick.
>>
>>63900225
What does that have to do with giving an album a high score? Why does an album with a high score have to be given a high score?

Also
>limiting my exposure to bad albums
>this nigga doesn't know the joy of listening to a hilariously bad album
baka desu senpai
>>
>>63900225
I'm not thick, you're just a backpedalling little kid.
>>
>>63900248
>Why does an album with a high score have to be given a high score?

Fucking statistics jesus christ. An album with a high rating receives on average, HIGH RATINGS. Regardless of my preconceptions, I am statistically more likely to also give it a high rating.

>>63900280
Strong response, tell me more.
>>
>>63899810
what? isn't it possible to listen to something you think may be good but then it turns out shit?
>>
>>63900300
I recognise that it's possible. But I can genuinely say it hasn't happened to me. But that's probably because I'm a massive faggot with no free will who is ruled by RYM rating and popular opinion.
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-08+at+10.42.29).jpg (70 KB, 1168x421) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-08+at+10.42.29).jpg
70 KB, 1168x421
Why is RYM so fucking shit?
>>
>>63900066
rym score is not an indicator of "quality", rather, it's one of cultural capital
>>
>>63900298
>tell me more

Sure.

You never said anything about potential quality or lack thereof. You clearly set in stone this retarded "contrarian" logic of yours >>63899948 with this post here, and how much of a definitive toolbox you are. Do you have selective memory or are you just fucking with me at this point?
>>
>>63900324
That's a good album though
>>
>>63900298
I'm not talking about other people, I'm talking about YOU. Why do YOU have to give it a high score? It's true that you're more likely to give it a higher score, but back on statistics, the more albums you rate, even if all of them have high scores, there is an increasing probability that you will rate at least one of them very low despite having a high rating. In fact, if you've rated let's say 1,000 albums, it's statistically very unlikely that you wont' have at least 1 .5 rated album, even if every single album you listened to had a 5 star rym rating.
Again, post account, I want to see this.
>>63900320
>But that's probably because I'm a massive faggot with no free will who is ruled by RYM rating and popular opinion.
Now you're getting it!
>>
>>63900320
>But I can genuinely say it hasn't happened to me

Probably because you listen to nothing but chart-topping /mu/core. It's always the /mu/drones who believe retarded shit like this, in my experience.
>>
>>63900324
yeah, who the fuck likes this boring shit?
>>
>>63900354
I have only rated 65 albums. Because I only listen to music I like, and only rate music I like highly. Is that difficult for you to grasp?

>>63900372
I prefer the term RYM-Core.

>>63900345
Well shit dude, I was building up my ideas over several posts in accordance to your responses. Sorry I didn't have my full thesis laid out from the get-go.
>>
>>63900348
I agree, but look at the ranking.

That album is one of the few albums with over an average of 3.90 and a have lot of ratings, yet it's not even in the top 200 of 2016.
>>
>>63900420
You should listen to more music then, you'll eventually learn to not care about scores at all if you do this.
>>
>>63900440
chart probably hasn't updated yet
>>
File: 1358929887720.png (503 KB, 900x702) Image search: [Google]
1358929887720.png
503 KB, 900x702
>>63900420
>I HAVE ONLY RATED 65 ALBUMS
Hoooooooooooooly shit lmao
I really hope you're new to rate your music and don't have this much autism.
>>63900440
charts haven't updated, probably won't for another month.
>>
File: lol.jpg (12 KB, 290x174) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
12 KB, 290x174
>>63899716
>Gave Hello Kitty Suicide Club 5 stars

Top kek m8
>>
Y'all plebe for actively seeking the music from the charts on the first place
>>
>>63900445
>>63900463
See this is the fucking thing. I was listening to these albums before I knew what /mu/ or RYM even were. But now I'm a fucking faggot for having opinions somehow. You just can't win around here with everyone having such a fucking hard-on for superiority through being absolutely unique and infallible.

> I really hope you're new to rate your music
And here we arrive at my central point. Why just use RYM to accumulate hundred of ratings, many of which are negative. It just seems like such a masochistic thing to do. Just listen to what you like and give your favourite albums 5 stars then fuck off.
>>
>>63900529
sub genre charts are pretty useful though
>>63900541
I would ask why use rym to catalogue the 65 albums you like. That just seems extremely pointless. Again, why not post your account? I'll post mine if it makes you feel better.
>>
>>63900566
>I would ask why use rym to catalogue the 65 albums you like.

Just to sort of quantify in my mind which albums I like best I guess. Since I like everything I have, I find it somewhat interesting to try and differentiate between liking and album and really liking an album. The star system helps with that I guess.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~MrFrankShankly

Roast me.
>>
File: here.jpg (13 KB, 161x395) Image search: [Google]
here.jpg
13 KB, 161x395
>>63900541
i think it's hysterical how you project the desire for superiority yet you fail to see just how self-righteous you're being

>>63900628
>/mu/core and nothing else

i never fail to be right with this lol
>>
>>63900667
I said that because I knew your inevitable comeback. How is saying /mu/core even a thing? Because some albums are popular on a website that completely negates anyone's genuine interest in them? Even if they've never been on /mu/? You spouting the same old /mu/ rhetoric is much shitter than me admitting that I don't use RYM properly and only listen to stuff I like. What am I supposed to be embarrassed about exactly?
>>
>>63900733
>only listen to stuff i like
you never gave a proper response to this. I understand that you can chose not to rate things you don't like, but can you really say nothing you've ever listened to sounded like shit to you? or maybe not 'shit' because that's a stong word, but did you never ever dislike something in your entire history of listening music?
>>
File: horse.jpg (262 KB, 676x834) Image search: [Google]
horse.jpg
262 KB, 676x834
>>63900733
rest assured i'm not judging your taste in music here, i couldn't care less what you listen to, but people who generally listen to /mu/core don't do much exploration on their own and in my experience they never seem to understand why people do so in the first place, and you're just like them, as evidenced by your terrible logic i've seen over and over again and your incorrect use of the word "contrarian." go be stupid elsewhere cuz i got jasmine to chug
>>
>>63899619
yeah that's fair enough. i find my account is quite skewed towards 3.5 or 3 because i generally listen to music i think i'm going to like.
>>
>>63900628
>literally a who's who of the top rym rated albums
wew

I think you're problem is that you just don't explore. I did an exploration into 2010 funeral doom one time, listened to like 30-40 random albums from that year. Most were mediocre, some were bad, but I also found this
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/septic_mind/%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%87%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%BE/ which is one of my favorite funeral doom records ever now, along with some other cool shit. You gotta have an open mind. Discover stuff. It's hard to give you recs, but you seem to like post rock. Here
https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&vif=3fie&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=post-rock&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=
listen to an album on here from 51-100. Any one of them. It doesn't matter which. Will you like it? Who knows, but you'll try, and even if you end up not liking it, you'll come out more aware of what you don't like. rym isn't just a tool for cataloging what you already know you like, it's a tool for exploration and discovery of yourself and your tastes. Those charts aren't there to tell you what you like, they're there to give you a starting point for your own journey. Music is a journey, not a static state. People don't just listen to low rated albums to give them obligatory bad scores, they listen to lower rated albums because they gave something a try. You seem to be the kind of person who is just super unwilling to go outside their own comfort zone, and are now defending that zone with their life. You need to stop treating music as a fact, but rather as a learning experience.
>>
>>63900837
>Haчaлo
Thanks fo the suggestion, DetoxScission
>>
>>63900859
I don't even know who that is.
here's me
https://rateyourmusic.com/~ElectricLizard
>>
>>63900789
No, I have heard things I don't like. But that would only be songs on the radio, or singles that I listen to on youtube or something. If I'm going to put in the effort to torrent an album I usually read up on it, and check out critical consensus etc before I listen.

>>63900826
This just fucks me off so much. Like I get what you're saying, but you're dismissing anyone who listens to "/mu/core" as being narrow minded or whatever. As I said earlier, what if somebody came across those albums with no input from /mu/? Does that not constitute "exploration"?????

>>63900837
>I think you're problem is that you just don't explore.
Bit of an assumption. My 65 RYM ratings aren't the only albums I listen to lol. And how do you define explore? But I see what you're saying.

Thanks for some actual feedback other than just calling me a faggot btw.
>>
>>63900837
As an aside, I am kind of fine being seen as how you described at the end there. My problem is people on here getting so fucking butthurt at people like me for doing just that. And yes, I'm a hypocrite for getting salty myself but whatever. It's like if you listen to decently popular albums you get fucking crucified.
>>
File: 1446449692450.png (984 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1446449692450.png
984 KB, 1080x1920
https://rateyourmusic.com/~MalcolmXWing

If you have atleast 10 people telling you your opinion on something is wrong you are doing it right. Remember you wanna be a special snowflake not a boring guy who listens to Radiohead and The Beatles.
>>
>>63900909
>the effort to torrent an album
what effort? what I do is download I bunch of albums at a time (maybe from recs, or they're new or whatever) and then listen to them sometime in the future at my own pace. the inbox feature of musicbee helps a lot with this.

so yeah, if i were you i'd write down a list of ~10 albummes you want to listen to, download at once and then listen at your own pace.
>>
>>63900983
I'm a major aspie though, so I gotta get the folders and album art and shit just right. Plus I don't like having a ton of music sitting around not getting played. Which is perhaps why my collection is significantly smaller than most people's on here seems to be. But I actually listen to every album I have multiple times you feel.
>>
>>63900909
>And how do you define explore?
Download random albums. Go to one of the charts, go to like the 400-500 range, and just pick something at random. It sounds stupid, but it works, and it gets you exploring. Another thing you can do is look up the chart of a genre you think is trash, and listen to some of the top rated albums on there. I did that with brostep and found one of my top 10 favorite albums ever. Basically, just look. You have to want to explore. There's no method to it, other than just be open. I listened to an album yesterday because someone posted one of those level 1 - outsider whatever charts with the ocean depths, and I saw the last name on there and said "fuck, lemme check that out". Turned out to be not too bad. You just have to be curious.
>>63901016
Well that's a major diference between you and me. I listen to an album once or twice and then never listen to it every again. I've already absorbed all the knowledge from it, it has no use for me anymore. I wouldn't do that though, not sure it's too healthy.
>>
>>63901016
buddy, you're only gonna be on earth for like 60 years, might as well spend it exploring the wealth of art created by humans in all its diversity instead of jerking off some canonized pop music album 200 times in a row before moving on to the next generic indie rock #109389 that p4k gave a high score to
>>
>>63901121
I'll give it a shot. I still get hung up on the feeling like I haven't even 'explored' the top 50 of a genre I like though, which I think is why I have such trouble with the idea of listening to more obscure stuff 'just coz'. But If I ever want to show my face around here again I guess I better get started. Gr8 chat everyone. I hope you all fine emotional fulfillment in life and music.
>>
>>63899557
https://rateyourmusic.com/~EtInArcadiaEgo
>>
>>63901016
Well, my collection is relatively small too. The reason is that I don't KEEP music I don't like. When I download a bunch of albums, give each a try (maybe couple of listens, maybe just 1) and then if I don't like it - delete. I understand why you'd like to avoid listening to something that you may dislike but that way you're keeping yourself from discovering something really amazing. One of my favorite albums of all time is considered medioce and uninteresting by /mu/ and pretty much everyone outside of that niche. Do you have such an album for yourself?
>>
>>63901265
>massively "eccentric" and too patrician for you account
>he chooses fucking pierre lunaire out of all the possible schoenberg pieces he could've picked to give a 5 to
That's the funniest part about this desu.
>>
>>63901265
>he fell for the radigue meme
>>
>>63901283
Hmm yeah good point about the deleting. I've still got a 2nd gen iPod classic so I'm limited there.
>Do you have such an album for yourself?
Yeah, I guess I do. But it just so happens that I like a lot of well known stuff so much more. Ah well what can you do. I'm off to sleep. Sweet dreams senpai
>>
File: Wake-In-Fright.jpg (3 MB, 2480x1826) Image search: [Google]
Wake-In-Fright.jpg
3 MB, 2480x1826
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Ricoshet777

Rec some good Classical music.
>>
>>63901386
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/robert_schumann/liederkreis___dichterliebe__dietrich_fischer_dieskau__alfred_brendel_/

get sad
>>
>>63901386
scriabin is always the answer

always
>>
File: cibo-matto-646.jpg (52 KB, 646x485) Image search: [Google]
cibo-matto-646.jpg
52 KB, 646x485
Hi there.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Synusoid

Dub, dub, and more dub for me this morning
>>
>>63901398
>>63901410

T(h)anks.
>>
>>63900980
holy fuck he left the chat icon open with that pink haired girl on purpose so it looks like he talks to girls lmaooooooooooooo
>>
>>63899813
>Michigan 5 stars
my nigga
oh wait you're Montie. fuck you. gotta sell my vinyl copy of michigan now thanks dick
>>
>>63899810
I have the same issue but for a different reason. There are plenty of albums that I dislike, but I don't listen to them more than once or twice, because I don't like them. Problem is, I don't rate anything unless I've listened to it at least 5 or 6 times.. otherwise I feel that I'm not familiar enough with it to accurately rate it. For this reason I have mostly 4s and 4.5s, a few 5s, and some 3.5s and 3s. I have a few 2.5s and 2s as well, but that is for music that I used to really like but have grown out of. I don't have any 1.5s, 1s or .5s.

Anyone else do the same?
>>
>>63901818
> Problem is, I don't rate anything unless I've listened to it at least 5 or 6 times.. otherwise I feel that I'm not familiar enough with it to accurately rate it.
just rate the fucking album, no one gives a shit.
>>
File: spongebobcaveman.jpg (11 KB, 392x243) Image search: [Google]
spongebobcaveman.jpg
11 KB, 392x243
>he doesn't give 5s
>his 4,5s contain TMR
>more 0,5s than anything else
>>
>>63901873
also remember, no one gives a shit about your rating curve either. seriously, nothing could matter less. use rym for your own purposes, not to post your account on /mu/ for the hope of validation
>>
>>63903107
unless your curve look like this>>63902495
>>
>>63899557
https://rateyourmusic.com/~qwerty100
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Poohkali
https://rateyourmusic.com/~MyCsPiTTa
>>
>>63900980
What if my favorite bands are Periphery and Dream Theater
>>
>>63903338

If its make people mad you are doing fine.
>>
>>63903338
You're a meme and you should keep memeing on my lad
>>
File: queen live.jpg (52 KB, 799x706) Image search: [Google]
queen live.jpg
52 KB, 799x706
Is it worth it to start rating albums on RYM? I have an old account there but never rated anything.
>>
>>63900068
>https://rateyourmusic.com/~s_burr
I hate this little bitch the most of all. He purposely rates popular albums low and staid classical picks highly in an attempt to appease the clique of whom he so desperately wishes to be a member.
>>
File: 1457259689723.jpg (35 KB, 500x664) Image search: [Google]
1457259689723.jpg
35 KB, 500x664
>>63904185

>site is called rate your music
>does not rate music
>>
>>63904332

There was a feature on that site that required me to create an account. I needed some information on a rare album and it wouldn't display unless I was logged in.
>>
>not listening to shit albums so you can rate them 2.0/1.5/1.0/0.5 on RYM
>>
>>63899810
It depends. Some people really are either very unlucky or masochists, but other people just rate a lot of stuff low so that their high ratings have more value (I usually don't even bother checking out a user's 5 stars if they have, like, more than 50). That's why they give you the option to define your system, if you want 2.0 to be "good" and 2.5 upwards various degrees of good, you can.
>>
>>63904185
rate by tag
>>
r8 my r8s?

I really didn't want to give Dirty that low of a score. I've gotten really acquainted with everything SY has done from Confusion is Sex to Goo and while I think there's a couple less than stellar albums there (EVOL and Goo), there was nothing I disliked until Dirty.
>>
>>63904270
you shouldn't care so much. most of the time, people like this have legit issues irl. lammergeier for instance.
>>
File: Capture.png (76 KB, 921x333) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
76 KB, 921x333
>>63905080
Forgot pic, whoops
>>
>>63899810
theres more to listening to music than to like it... i listen to educate myself and think about topics. i know i wont "like" most corporate popular music that does not mean its unworthy of my attention. its important to hear and try to understand music of all cultures in order to understand humanity.... and think critically about the world.
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.