[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do i start with jazz?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
Where do i start with jazz?
>>
>>63897763
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Only correct answer
>>
try with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W59FzOwYIs
>>
The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady - Charles Mingus
>>
Start with the creoles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujFWZrs6pow
>>
File: louis-armstrong-360x280.jpg (25 KB, 360x280) Image search: [Google]
louis-armstrong-360x280.jpg
25 KB, 360x280
>>63897763
Louis Armstrong is good, every time I hear him play that trumpet makes me giddy.

Hello Dolly is one of my favourite tracks from him
>>
File: Jazz.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2976) Image search: [Google]
Jazz.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2976
>>63897763
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue is probably a good choice like >>63897779 said.
Most people argue to listen to Coltrane's A Love Supreme next, but I'd like to discourage you from doing this. Almost everyone dismisses it as boring and much later discover how good it is, after they've heard a lot more jazz.

Other suggestions:
Nat "King" Cole - After Midnight
Sonny Criss - Sonny's Dream (The Birth of the New Cool)
Nina Simone - Nina Simone Sings the Blues
plus pic related (also make sure to read the top part, it contains some good tips)!
>>
>>63898281
>Sonny Criss - Sonny's Dream (The Birth of the New Cool)
Good call, seconded
>>
>>63898281
hmm thanks senpai
>>
>>63898746
yeah my roommates hate most of the jazz I play at home, but like the three albums I mentioned, so I always assume that they are good entry albums.
>>
>>63897763
Weather Report
>>
>>63897763
I think Hard Bop is a very accessible yet funny subgenre to begginners, so I would recommend some albums like
>Clifford Brown and Max Roach - Clifford Brown and Max Roach
>Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Free for All
>John Coltrane - Giant Steps
>>
File: 1453825948690.jpg (26 KB, 395x399) Image search: [Google]
1453825948690.jpg
26 KB, 395x399
>>63897763
>>
What aspect of what you know about jazz are you most interested in?
ie: frenetic fast and chaotic, more chill, more groovy or funky, vocal, instrumental? This will determine what you should listen to
>>
Anything Coltrane
>>
Billy nigger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Igb0Qwnpic
>>
>>63897763
>Where do i start with jazz?
I think Kind of Blue as people have been suggesting is a good call.

I did it kind of a pleb way. When I was like 13 or 14 coming home from School Ken Burns' Jazz (a documentary series) used to be on sky arts before my parents came home. I pretty much only watched Sky arts and futurama repeats so I eventually ended up watching the entire series. The soundtrack of the programme is fantastic, it picks some of the best and most significant tunes from each "era", often letting the tunes play out with old footage and little commentary. The narration is great and learning about the history of the genre and the artists involved (some of them had crazy lives) helped me develop a feel for it. The series follows jazz from NOLA traditional music up to the 21st century so it gives a good feel for everything. I went from Jazz illiterate to a jazz fan overnight.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.