[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>IS SOMEBODY GONNA TELL ME WHY SHE HAS TO LIEEEEE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: ly.jpg (238 KB, 504x504) Image search: [Google]
ly.jpg
238 KB, 504x504
>IS SOMEBODY GONNA TELL ME WHY SHE HAS TO LIEEEEE
>>
"In the mid-70s, Brian Wilson proposed changing the group's name to simply 'Beach' as he thought it sounded more in-line with contemporary trends of bands having a single word name, also as the band members were reaching their mid-30s, Wilson wondered if they weren't too old to call themselves the Beach Boys. His proposal went nowhere."
>>
I'm sure he's nice gives me feels :(
>>
>>63895197
this made me laugh at loud
>>
>PAT PAT PAT PAT HER ON HER BUTT BUTT BUTT
>>
>>63895456
the album's most classic moment.
>>
great song

i listened to this album a lot last year when i went through a bad bout of depression where i stayed in bed and smoked weed and only got up to go to college or make shitty music in fl studio on my laptop (2/3 of the way to brian wilson status)
>>
Is anyone else thinking this album is a bit cringy, tragic, fun and good at the same time?
>>
>>63895197
I'm picturing Brian going solo as a lo fi synth-heavy progressive pop act called "Beach" in the 70s and I'm bummed because it didn't happen.
>>
>>63895944
No I'd say that's all the way to brian wilson status, minus the fame
>>
>>63896118
no it's not, he'd had to have been strung out on coke and heroin and ballooned up to 300 pounds
>>
Bit a shame that 90% of people only know about 1962-65 Beach Boys and have never heard about these later albums.
>>
>>63896209
Eh, I know about them. We don't need a hoard of mall girls wearing beach boy shirts because holland and pet sounds became a meme (this will happen when brian dies soon)
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18 KB, 400x266
Love You [Brother/Reprise, 1977]

Painfully crackpot and painfully sung, but also inspired, not least because it calls forth forbidden emotions. For a surrogate teenager to bare his growing pains so guilelessly was exciting, or at least charming; for an avowed adult to expose an almost childish naivete is embarrassing, but also cathartic; and for a rock and roll hero to compose a verbally and musically irresistible paean to Johnny Carson is an act of shamanism pure and simple. As with Wild Honey, the music sounds wrong in contradictory ways at first--both arty and cute, spare and smarmy--but on almost every cut it comes together soon enough; I am especially partial to the organ textures, and I find the absurd little astrology ditty, "Solar System," impossible to shake. As for the words, well, they're often pretty silly, but even (especially) when they're designed to appeal to whatever Brian imagines to be the rock audience they reveal a lot more about the artist than most lyrics do. And this artist is a very interesting case. A
>>
>>63896256
Does this guy ever actually speak in English?
>>
>>63896255
JUST
>>
>>63896366
n-no...
>>
>>63896366
it's gonna be exactly like bowie
>>
>>63896400
Except without the heroic finale album Bowie, Johnny Cash, and Ray Charles had.
>>
Listening to this again
It brings an entire new aspect to the beach boys, the kinda amateur side to it, with the occasionally scratchy and strained vocals. It makes it all quite deranged and surreal
Much poppier than stuff like Smiley Smile or Sunflower. That makes it all the more inaccessible really, the contrast between amateur and pop
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.