[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ like to listen to when studying/doing homework?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 15
File: image.png (228 KB, 480x501) Image search: [Google]
image.png
228 KB, 480x501
What does /mu/ like to listen to when studying/doing homework?

Got a lot of work coming up at uni and would like to hear what you guys hear
>>
gy!be
>>
>>63887890
I don't listen to music while I'm studying. I focus on the problem at hand and try to understand as best I can. I have an attention span and I make the most of it. This is what successful students do

If you want to distract yourself and not learn anything, listen to music. But ask yourself, does your professor play Drake while he's teaching thermodynamics? No, he's an adult so he doesn't listen to Drake, and he doesn't play music because he wants his students to learn and gain knowledge
>>
>>
Usually noise or drone metal
>>
>>63887963
>>
File: 1457135120605.jpg (250 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1457135120605.jpg
250 KB, 640x640
STOP WITH THESE FUCKING SPONGEBOB REACTION PICS FOR FUCK'S SAKE
>>
File: tumblr_lurw28TlsZ1r0cmpq.jpg (34 KB, 187x161) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lurw28TlsZ1r0cmpq.jpg
34 KB, 187x161
>>63887890
Generally none, though if I do it's something ambient
Try some Oval, also SAW II
>>63888053
>anon doesn't like spongey-square
>>
>>63887963
ignore this guy OP he is boring... enjoy your life, sure you would be more productive if you never listened to music or watched TV but who gives a shit, life is about more than being boring
>>
>>63887963
implying you are a successful student. I hope your ego cracks and exposes the rotting piece of shit you are.
>>
I'm generally not a fan of EDM but it's perfect for studying. The steady rhythmic beat keeps you energized while at the same time keeping you calm and collected. The relative lack of sophistication in the music means it isn't a distraction from the task at hand. Darkside or Fennec are usually my go to

Soft Jazz can be good too like some Errol Garner or some shit.

Also Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions is great
>>
>>63888137
Stravinsky, Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky, Dave Brubeck, and Stan Getz are great too.
>>
>>63888109
>being intelligent is boring
Modern culture is depressing, and unfortunately I'm not surprised by this reaction to academic success
>>
File: dont tell me how2.jpg (53 KB, 720x629) Image search: [Google]
dont tell me how2.jpg
53 KB, 720x629
>>63887963
>No, he's an adult so he doesn't listen to Drake,

top kek; truly a hero we need
>>
>>63888223
it's always been this way moron, you're not above it either. Your posting on a board for such thinking, contributing to it. you are the problem. there is a solution however, find the nearest bridge and jump off of it.
>>
>>63888223
being forced by mummy and daddy to succeed at school for so long that eventually you managed to convince yourself that that's what you actually wanted to do with your life. listening to music is fun, reading fucking books about shit you are doing because you want society to like you isn't, and if you are gonna do it you might as well listen to some music
>>
My dad told me a long time ago that listening to classical music helps you study, I dont know if thats true but I still do it out of habbit.
>>
File: dc0.gif (1 MB, 420x425) Image search: [Google]
dc0.gif
1 MB, 420x425
vaporwave
>>
>>63887890
AFX and film scores
>>
Usually chill hop or post-rock
>>
>>63888370
Nobody forced me to succeed in school. I succeeded because I had the ability and I wanted to succeed, because I wanted prestige, recognition, financial comfort, opportunity, relationships with fellow intelligent and successful people, knowledge, specialized skills, an awareness of culture and myself, and most importantly, to test the limits of my intellect and willpower.

Listening to music is "fun" for you, being the smartest and most accomplished person I can be is "fun" for me. Reading books and doing math problems isn't a chore, it's something I look forward to everyday. People like you make me depressed; laziness and anti-intellectualism is killing the country.
>>
>>63887955
this
the long drones, crescendos, and just general length really puts on good bg music.

but i'd suggest not studying with anything. or at least, turning it on for a few minutes, and then turning it off once you get into the groove.
>>
>>63888544
shouldn't you be doing something better with your time than posting on an imageboard?
after all you, you could be hanging out with "intellectuals" such as yourself. why waste time answering to low lives? It's not as if you need to size up your cock constantly to maintain a broken ego or anything. here's some advice: when you realize you are not so special, invest in glitter. That way when the police go to untie you from the ceiling, you could look like a pretty disco ball and not a pile of shit.
>>
oldschool jungle mixes
>>
>>63887974
This is great. Also Tron Legacy OST.
>>
>>63888544

Is this guy being srs?
>>
File: image.jpg (162 KB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
162 KB, 1425x1425
I can only listen to ambient music or like prog electronic when I study, anything else and I focus on the music too hard. The most I can do is lounge or maybe some lighter trip hop

Pic related, 10/10 study album
>>
>>63887963
Did a symposium on this and you're correct, at least in being distracted when listening to music while studying. I never understood how people think they can listen to music with words while trying to read or write and essay or do anything else with language. You must be doing it only to have a filter from other background noise, because there is no way you are listening to the lyrical content of a song and comprehending it at the same time as you are comprehending words on a page.
>>
>>63887890
the sound of me studying with heavy echo for that psychedelich touch
>>
>>63888786
>this resentment when forced to acknowledge one's academic inferiority
>this poorly concealed fixation on depression and suicide
>these angry and violent fantasies
To tell you the truth, all that shit in my last post is nothing compared to the hatred and self-doubt I see in people's eyes when they realize that I am objectively better them. That's why I do it. That's why I attend one of the best universities on the planet and push myself to succeed at every academic task I engage in. To help worms recognize that they are worms, and to feel this overwhelming and totally justified feeling of superiority.

It's intoxicating; I feel like fucking Caligula. I'm totally erect right now by the way, no kidding.

Have a good night man
>>
Classical or Warp artists
>>
>>63889119
and the biggest joke of all was that you did this all on an anonymous imageboard. you ran a mile in a circle. congrats.
>>
>>63887963
>going to uni
>being successful

Pick one
>>
File: 1459900124666.png (802 KB, 800x764) Image search: [Google]
1459900124666.png
802 KB, 800x764
>>63888984
>I listen to music for the lyrics
>>
>>63888544
Be honest, how old are you?
>>
>>63888984
>>63889306
second to this
>>
Classical or ambient when reading but if I have to memorize or concentrate too much then no music it is. I don't see how people can listen to music with lyrics tho
>>
>>63888984
Shit dude, I can sing while writing up lab reports. Maybe you're just not wired for multitasking.
>>
File: fedora.jpg (164 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
164 KB, 1400x1400
>>63889119
>>
File: 1456445915975.png (296 KB, 400x358) Image search: [Google]
1456445915975.png
296 KB, 400x358
>>63889119
>>
OP here

Pls keep your feelings out of this, i just want some music to vibe out while I study. Also any uplifting or motivational music pls
>>
GOD-TIER BACKGROUND NOISE COMING THROUGH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mopMCLbt1L0
seriously, I listen to this nearly every time I study in a public place to drown out noise
also this https://zacbentz.bandcamp.com/album/field-recordings-from-the-edge-of-hell
>>
at uni i listened to lots of Rachmaninov
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v60qgwtOQCI
>>
File: 0000113594_10.jpg (223 KB, 1100x1000) Image search: [Google]
0000113594_10.jpg
223 KB, 1100x1000
>>
>>63887963
I agree with this. Same thing at work.
>>
I remember a study I learned about in Psychology in my premed days a few years back.

Listening to metal usually yields significantly lower results and worse productivity.
Listening to slow, baroque music was the least detrimental.

But listening to music in general is bad for you when you're trying to learn or concentrate. Someone said before what the best thing to do is if you're trying to study and want to listen to music. Turn it on for a few minutes, 5-10 minutes, while you get your brain warmed up, and then turn it off once you begin to concentrate fully.
>>
>>63888897
No I'm not you guys got epic trolled LOL
>>
File: front.jpg (70 KB, 700x704) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
70 KB, 700x704
>>
File: John Coltrane - Giant Steps.jpg (528 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
John Coltrane - Giant Steps.jpg
528 KB, 1500x1500
>>63887890
I always end up listening to Jim O'Rourke and John Coltrane. I don't know why they just help me focus
>>
Pages shuffling
The abusive couple from the front
My sobbing because this is a worthless degree

I should record it and drown it in reverb
>>
>>63889245
Have fun being a loser anon
>>
I listen to Cafe de Touhou, or any chillout/soft jazz really. Sometimes BORIS (flood especially). Helps calm the nerves and makes time go by faster.

Anything else is a distraction and it makes it harder to focus.
>>
>>63888544
Alright I'm taking the bait

>claims to be successful and intellectual
>is currently shitposting on mu

Off yourself faggot
>>
>>63887890
typically what ambient im in the mood for
>>
>>63888984

Did you study :

>Music without lyrics
>Music in a language different from the one you're studying (even though you understand both)

I can agree to the stupidity of music when it's pop, or another music genre that needs lyrics. But right now i'm listening to the sweet sound of Bill Evans and it doesn't bother me writing you this, au contraire, I feel relaxed enough to write fast enough yet at ease.
>>
>>63894165
Composing a shitpost and trying understand your schoolwork are two completely different things
>>
>>63894548

Studied psychology and other stuff on that style of music. (yes I did great on the exams) I work in a library that can be a little noisy, it's supposed to be a place where people work together and i'm too lazy to go anywhere else, so I put some music in my headphone and get started, I can last a whole day like that.

The trick is either to use a music that you don't need to understand, just feel. As I said it before it can also be another language, if it stops your brain from listening to the words, I still remember using "Here my dear" from Marvin Gaye's discography. I can understand English yet my brain wasn't focused on the song but on reading my books.

I could tell you how your brain does that, I've studied it while listening to music. But I'll let you do that yourself.

tip :
> languages you've learned after are generated in another part of the brain than the mother language
> our attention is selective, meaning you can listen to one thing without using your brain to comprehend the information and still pay attention to another.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.