[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else love Swans but *hate* The Seer and To Be Kind? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: Swans_To_Be_Kind.jpg (25 KB, 658x658) Image search: [Google]
Swans_To_Be_Kind.jpg
25 KB, 658x658
Anyone else love Swans but *hate* The Seer and To Be Kind?

I really don't understand the appeal of these albums at all. The Seer was boring and To Be Kind was just lame.

(FWIW, my favorite Swans albums are Cop and White Light from the Mouth of Infinity)
>>
What did you think of My Father...?
>>
>>63883492
I didn't know your father.
>>
Don't even bother with nu-Swans. /mu/core garbage.

Just listen to the 80s/90s work and you're good.
>>
I love the early Swans, the rest is OK
>>
>>63883668
Kek
>>
>>63883668
Wow
>>
>>63883781
They are both good
>>
>>63883668
damn...
>>
>>63883668
Damn...
>>
>>63883185
>>63883781
>>63883808
PLEBS, THE LOT OF YOU!

Seriously though, Seer-Kind Swans is the best Swans yet. It's not even debatable. It's objective fact.
>>
>>63883668
jeez...
>>
>>63883668
shieeet...
>>
2010+ Swans is practically a different band, not better or worse, just different and can only really be compared to their past work the same way one would compare two separate artists.
>>
>>63884630
Isn't it sort of like in the same style as Soundtracks for the Blind? Also, Swans has many points in their career where they're practically a different band.
>>
File: 129692464566.jpg (23 KB, 431x385) Image search: [Google]
129692464566.jpg
23 KB, 431x385
>it's another "Swans try to outdo SftB and fail miserably" post-reunion album

When will it end?
>>
>>63884821
Never.

Gira is well past his prime and at this point only really knows how to produce worse versions of what he's done before.
>>
>>63883668

fuuuck
>>
>>63883668
Damn...
>>
The Seer was alright, To Be Kind sounded like The Black Keys, the new preview snippet sounds like Queens of the Stone Age... they've devolved into radio rock
>>
>>63885584

>To Be Kind sounded like The Black Keys

lolwut

TBK was waaay more brutal than The Seer
>>
>>63885584
lol
>>
>>63885420
In what way is The Seer worse than SFTB? If anything it's more cohesive and higher quality across the tracklist. Plus unlike TBK it sounds like they actually brought some new ideas and arrangements to the table that time

>>63885594
>TBK was waaay more brutal than The Seer
Yeah but that didn't make it better, they just stripped away everything that made The Seer interesting and combined the post-rock shit we all know they can do with a weakass attempt at hitting their early noise rock sound
>>
File: a4168361629_16.jpg (45 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
a4168361629_16.jpg
45 KB, 700x700
>>63883185
Sorry, but can someone explain the appeal of Swans to me? I just don't really get it. I'm not saying they're bad, but I can't see what's so great about them. I've tried listening to The Seer, To Be Kind, and Soundtracks for the Blind, but they just end up boring me.

I want to see what people think is so genius about this band, but I can't.
>>
>>63885641

what exactly was interesting about The Seer?
>>
>>63885594
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2bMsYb9P-k

this is essentially the black keys
>>
>>63885705
I wanna hear the Queens of the Stone Age sounding one.
>>
>>63885727
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka_hKb7dSiY
>>
>>63885705

>the second-shortest song from a two-hour long album means the WHOLE THING is like another artist

so is STGSTV like Merzbow because of Untitled?
>>
>>63885752
Wow, it's actually true.
>>
>>63883185
I actually think their new stuff is their best. I can't really get into their older stuff (besides Soundtracks). I love the huge, building atmosphere of the longer, repetitive tracks.

I feel i have to be in the right mood for it though. Good to get lost in a trance with.
>>
>>63885700
The longer songs subtly morphing into something new over time
Use of unconventional instruments and frequent style changes with songs like 93rd Ave B Blues and Song For A Warrior without any of it feeling out of place
The way they build tension and get explosively loud on songs like the title track and Mother of the World without resorting to cheap Godspeed crescendocore tricks
The dark atmosphere

And the fact that the songwriting is good. What the fuck do you want me to say about it? What exactly is interesting about any album? What exactly is interesting about Soundtracks For The Blind besides the fact that Gira thought it would be fun to surround some amazing post-rock songs with approx. two hours of leftover scraps?
>>
>>63886049

>two hours of leftover scraps?

okay yeah you're a fag

opinion discarded
>>
>>63883185
Fuck no. TBK is their best right up there with SFTB.
>>
>>63886187
Suck a dick, I love songs and parts of the album but the interviews and monologues are interesting for one listen and then only when you really want to get into the atmosphere. And don't pretend there aren't clear low and high points across the thing (fuck Hypogirl and fuck Yum-Yab Killers especially)
>>
>>63886049
Honestly if you were going song by song stftb is weaker but as a hole it creates this suffocating mood that is a unique experience,
>>
this thread reeks of weak b8
>>
>>63886282
>doesn't like Yum-Yab Killers
>>
>>63883668
Heh, knew this would happen
never change /mu/
>>
Pre-revival Swans > Post-revival Swans

Most people here will disagree because they only started listening to them after The Seer came out.
>>
>>63888091
Even Gira agrees this new trilogy of albums is on another level. If you prefer no wave to experimental rock I think it's justifiable to say you liked early Swans better, but I sense that many people are concerned with how their tastes appear to others and just say things.
>>
>>63885678
listen to white light from the mouth of holy infinity. out of the albums i listened to it's probably their most accessible. if that ain't for you either you're lost
>>
This thread is dumb, The Seer and TBK are objectively their best work. Everything else can just fall into place
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.