[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck "remasters"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
I know Oasis is a meme here because of Montie but I don't care.

Anyway, I just want to voice my complaint about the trend of reissuing older albums under the guise of being "remastered" when all that's going on is some slight EQ changes and huge amounts of compression to have it match up with the volume standards of today's music.

Case in point: Oasis' (What's the Story?) Morning Glory took the loud and heavily compressed mastering technique utilized on their first album and went way overboard with it. The album was one of the first to start the "loudness wars" trend in popular music.

Qualms about the songwriting aside, the biggest problem with the album is despite the fact that the production and arrangements were vastly improved from the first record, every track was compressed within an inch of its life and completely brickwalled to shit. There's virtually no dynamics, and everything just sounds like a big, muddy mid-range mess. It's honestly headache inducing at higher volumes.

And yet, with last year's "remaster", they somehow managed to reduce the dynamics of the record even more and compress the volume to even louder level to the point where there's audible distortion and clipping all over the place and anything besides the vocals and lead guitar tracks are completely buried in the sonic sludge.

When will this shitty practice end?
>>
>>63880854
>When will this shitty practice end?
when earphone and iphone become better
>>
>>63880854
I hear you, fuck the noise wars. Morning Glory is not a 10/10 because of it.
There is nothing wrong with the songwriting though considering its a album for watching football and drinking beer.
>>
>>63881235
>its a album for watching football and drinking beer
Stop talking montie, honestly
You're so fucking dumb
>>
>>63881270
My point is, if you look to Britpop for lyrical complexity you are a fucking idiot
>>
File: Morrissey-Marr.jpg (47 KB, 566x390) Image search: [Google]
Morrissey-Marr.jpg
47 KB, 566x390
>>63881296
>>
File: pulp.jpg (25 KB, 570x340) Image search: [Google]
pulp.jpg
25 KB, 570x340
>>63881296
>>
File: 1456138658525.jpg (90 KB, 500x492) Image search: [Google]
1456138658525.jpg
90 KB, 500x492
>>63881370
>>63881389
>>
I actually genuinely like the overly compressed sound on this album

Be Here Now took it too far tho
>>
>>63881296
>if you look to Britpop for lyrical complexity you are a fucking idiot
No. Just because Oasis wrote simple anthemic songs about being young and doing drugs and shit for football hooligans to chant along to doesn't mean you have to lump in all of Britpop (which isn't really a substantive genre, desu) in with them. Bands like Pulp, Suede, Blur, Elastica, Manics etc. were much more lyrically proficient that Oasis.
>>
>>63881474
It worked on Definitely Maybe as that was just supposed to be a bunch of big, dumb, loud rock tunes, but the fact that on this record they were doing more acoustic stuff and slower ballads and incorporating baroque influences and doing extended song structures, there really should have been more dynamic and sonic diversity. Too much is lost in the mix.

Be Here Now is even worse in regards to that. Listen to all the lush Bacharach-esque orchestral arrangements that ended up drowned out on Don't Go Away:

https://soundcloud.com/m-car/dga-oops/s-0yh3R
>>
>>63881296
This is why everyone fucking hates Oasis on this board, because you're an absolute fucking fuckstick.
>>
>>63881467
Fuck off, Montie.
>>
>>63881296
>My point is, if you look to Britpop for lyrical complexity you are a fucking idiot

We don't. You do.

Who has spent years analyzing and finding great meaning in fucking Oasis songs? Not us.
>>
>>63881296
If Oasis had never come along britpop would've been a lot more intelligent. They started the lad anthem trend, bands like Pulp and Blur wrote some pretty clever lyrics.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.