[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck is Louis Armstrong considered one of the best jazz
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: Louis_Armstrong_NYWTS_3.jpg (895 KB, 2883x3676) Image search: [Google]
Louis_Armstrong_NYWTS_3.jpg
895 KB, 2883x3676
Why the fuck is Louis Armstrong considered one of the best jazz musicians among Ellington, Parker, Miles Davis and Coltrane? He aint that good.
>>
>>63880108
Stay away from crack. It fucks up your head something fierce.
>>
None of the artists you mentioned would've existed without him.
>>
Louie Armstrong was The Beatles of jazz. Duke Ellington was the Led Zeppelin of jazz.
Parker= Malmateen
Davis= Yes
Coltrane= King Crimson

Now, do you understand?
>>
>>63880218
So all jazz musicians sucks for you
>>
>>63880108
"In his early years, Armstrong was best known for his virtuosity with the cornet and trumpet. The most lauded recordings on which Armstrong plays trumpet include the Hot Five and Hot Seven sessions, as well as those of the Red Onion Jazz Babies. Armstrong's improvisations, while unconventionally sophisticated for that era, were also subtle and highly melodic.
Prior to Armstrong, most collective ensemble playing in jazz, along with its occasional solos, simply varied the melodies of the songs. Armstrong was virtually the first to create significant variations based on the chord harmonies of the songs instead of merely on the melodies. This opened a rich field for creation and improvisation, and significantly changed the music into a soloist's art form.
Often, Armstrong re-composed pop-tunes he played, simply with variations that made them more compelling to jazz listeners of the era. At the same time, however, his oeuvre includes many original melodies, creative leaps, and relaxed or driving rhythms. Armstrong's playing technique, honed by constant practice, extended the range, tone and capabilities of the trumpet. In his records, Armstrong almost single-handedly created the role of the jazz soloist, taking what had been essentially a collective folk music and turning it into an art form with tremendous possibilities for individual expression."
>>
>>63880292
Meh, Maybe if i were born in 1900 i would have listen to him i think..
>>
"The influence of Armstrong on the development of jazz is virtually immeasurable. Yet, his irrepressible personality both as a performer, and as a public figure later in his career, was so strong that to some it sometimes overshadowed his contributions as a musician and singer.
As a virtuoso trumpet player, Armstrong had a unique tone and an extraordinary talent for melodic improvisation. Through his playing, the trumpet emerged as a solo instrument in jazz and is used widely today. Additionally, jazz itself was transformed from a collectively improvised folk music to a soloist's serious art form largely through his influence. He was a masterful accompanist and ensemble player in addition to his extraordinary skills as a soloist. With his innovations, he raised the bar musically for all who came after him.
Though Armstrong is widely recognized as a pioneer of scat singing, Ethel Waters precedes his scatting on record in the 1930s according to Gary Giddins and others.Billie Holiday and Frank Sinatra are just two singers who were greatly indebted to him. Holiday said that she always wanted Bessie Smith's 'big' sound and Armstrong's feeling in her singing. Even special musicians like Duke Ellington have praised Armstrong through strong testimonials. Duke Ellington said, "If anybody was a master, it was Louis Armstrong." In 1950, Bing Crosby, the most successful vocalist of the first half of the 20th century, said, "He is the beginning and the end of music in America."
>>
>>63880340
Try sticking a pistol in your mouth and see how many times you can pull the trigger.
>>
>>63880108
You're fucking stupid man. Pick up a trumpet and do what he did. Any trumpet player worth his weight in salt knows how tough pops licks were. And without pops, jazz as we know it wouldn't exist. Improvisation in jazz was literally started because of pops.
>>
File: 1456061298159.jpg (106 KB, 800x874) Image search: [Google]
1456061298159.jpg
106 KB, 800x874
>>63880108

wow delete this and try to salvage this shit op
>>
>>63880457
I second this advice.
>>
>>63880218
Not even exaggerating - this is the stupidest post I've ever read on /mu/.
>>
>>63880218
this is the dumbest thing I have read, do you know anything about jazz
>>
File: gTOJH0E_zpsdca17ef4.jpg (252 KB, 460x800) Image search: [Google]
gTOJH0E_zpsdca17ef4.jpg
252 KB, 460x800
>>63880218
>>
>>63880218
''no''
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.