[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ thinks about Arctic Monkeys ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4
I love them, mainly for the lyrics.
>>
I don't care about lyrics. At all.
But their first two albums were the hero that we deserved, it was a perfect combination of modern "uninterested and detached" indie with punk. Onslaught of riffs, in the first one a bit confused but by the second one they mastered songwriting as well.

Third and fourth albums were their attempts to get all deep and spiritual (spoiler: you're a bunch of suburban punk twats, you have no spirituality) and get all britpop on us (see the comment about being punk twats above).

Then came AM and they sold out super hard. But at least they gave up on things bigger than themselves and could put their songwriting muscles to work and make a really good Dance Rock record. Generic, lifeless, and a cynical cash for airplay, but damn me if it isn't a good record. They let me down, but if I can expect records like AM for the rest of their career I can live with that. What a shame that they turned their backs on such bright promise.
>>
>>63879934
Adam Sandler
>>
>>63880004
what the fuck is happening to /mu/ tonight
this is, like, the third intelligent and insightful post i've seen on here tonight
usually i don't even see that many in a month
>>
They're ok. Their first album (the pic) is pretty good. I really like the song "A Certain Romance".
>>
>>63880107
My favourite from first album is When the Sun Goes Down and maybe Red Lights Indicate The Doors Are Secured
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXTMDLbaIeg&nohtml5=False

But seriously, you dislike their lyrics ? Why ?

They are beautifully written and tells stories.
>>
>>63880863
who are u talking 2 anon?
OP said he liked their lyrics
>>
>>63879934
I like the drummer Matt Helders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHVqpiMkAcU
>>
They are god awful, it's THE teenager slut band, the teens that listen to this garbage are the same ones you see every week at the same shitty bar, the ones who upload filtered pictures of their cigarretes to twitter and instagram, the ones who put lion and tiger heads as their own and upload it to FB. My friends had this retarded idea of recording themselves like the R U Mine video
>>
>>63880004
Perfectly stated
>>
Album 1 & 2 are awesome. Nostalgia tier, not as listenable as before but still bang. Album 3 was a step towards meme rock although still sweet. Album 4 was a shit
>>
>>63880918
I'm OP
>>
>>63881294
That only makes the conversation even more confusing
>>
>>63880039
where can i locate the others?
>>
>>63881367
I'm OP, asking other users why they dislike/don't like lyrics. Sorry if it was unclear

>>63880004
I'm a "new" fan, and while I find AM is pretty good, I agree that it's not as unique as their first songs.
>>
I actually think their second album is a bit better than the first, although both of them are solid.

I like the focus on slick melodies and riffs a lot, and I think the production is just a bit more suited to what they're trying to do. If it weren't for the couple of lame, slower songs on Favorite Worst Nightmare, it'd probably be one of my favorite albums.

All of their stuff past that, especially AM, took the new focus on hooks and clarity to a point where it just became dull and generic, perfect for radio.
>>
File: 9's and 11's.jpg (38 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
9's and 11's.jpg
38 KB, 375x500
So this is their best song, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30w8DyEJ__0&nohtml5=False
>>
>>63880004
Humbug is their best album you fucking dweeb
>>
>>63880039
/mu/ has finally gotten sick of the shit memes, thank god almighty
>>
>>63881656
who the hell is Brian
>>
First two albums are the fucking shit. I blast them pretty fucking often. Lyrics are smooth and sexy, riffs are rough and sexy - perfect combination.
From there it's downhill. Humbug is absolute crap, as said before they are trying to calm down and be more mature. Suck It And See has some good tunes but otherwise it's nothing special. And of course we have A.M which could be a good record if they didn't shove so much radio filler into it - what got all the teenage sluts into kneesocks.

Wish they could go back to their energy blast state.
>>
i like the early albums i dont like the later albums
>>
Smoking Guy 10/10

Favourite Worst Nightmare 9/10

Humbug 10/10

Suck it and See 8/10

AM 6/10

Also, their singles are absolutely fucking great.
>>
>>63880004
There was nothing spiritual about Humbug, just because the lyrics aren't as straightforward doesn't mean they are abstract in theme.
>>
>>63881816
A fan that left an impression
>>
>>63880004
There was literally a story about a guy, his gf and marijuana in all songs of Suck it and See, check the lyrics or google about it. Pretty cool m8
>>
>>63882083
Humbug is the single most misunderstood album, it's also their best. It took me a while to get into it, but after hearing the B-Sides of that album (which i think are their best songs ever) it finally clicked for me what Humbug was doing.
>>
Their first album is GOAT, the other ones haven't impressed me much tho
>>
They peaked at Humbug and took a sharp dip in quality and lyricism since.

They will never top Dance Little Liar or The Jeweller's Hands.
>>
>>63879934
they're boring and generic
>>
>>63883461
Did you listen to the new Last Shadow Puppets record? I agree with you and I think it's as good if not better than Humbug
>>
>>63883702
Shadow puppets latest album was good, but not as good as their first one. still, very solid, it had very good songs at the beggining but took a dip in quality in their last ones.
>>
>>63883702
If thats true I'll have to check it out.
>>
>>63883461
this, dont know why people hate on humbug . . .
>>
I have revived hope for AM after hearing the new TLSP record.
>>
>>63881732
and then the womemes started
>>
>>63884048
Yeah can't wait to see what Alex Turner does with Arctic Monkeys, I guess one of the things he hasn't done yet is psychedelic stuff. Don't know what that'd be like, but hell, even 80s disco pop Alex Turner was great in Element of Surprise and Miracle Aligner.
>>
NEW ALBUM WHEN?
>>
>>63884394
October 2017, at the very least.
>>
Don't let this thread die
>>
>>63884367
Yeah, I couldnt really guess what their next will sound like.
Regardless of quality, at least they try something different with each album. Although they are developing a bit of a "sound" now.
>>
>>63885049
I think you'd have to wait until the next album to say that. Suck It and See to AM was as big a change of sound as Humbug to Suck It And See, IMO. And EYCTE was just out-of-left-field different, biggest departure yet, musically (for Alex Turner). Maybe the reason why you'd think that is the longer break that they're taking, so the AM era lasted longer than any before it.
>>
Arctic Monkeys are boring and shit and hipster no talent trash. of course /mu/ eats it up
>>
>>63885399
>calling something hipster

Oh, please sir, tell us your favorite bands and share your knowledge with us.
>>
>>63885399
literally the farthest thing from hipster music. They are a rock band made up of 2 guitars, a bass, and a drum. They opened the Olympic Games ffs
>>
>>63881695
Honestly: What do you think comments like this add?
>>
File: AM.png (337 KB, 2000x1450) Image search: [Google]
AM.png
337 KB, 2000x1450
Posted pic related the other gay and got shit on. /mu/ hates any "mainstream" bands. Arctic Monkeys are one of the best current bands out. Besides their last album.
>>
I don't like the AM because of the singer's annoying ass voice desu senpai
>>
>>63887059
It's not really a 10, more like a 6.5
>>
>>63880004
Fucking spot on. I do love Humbug and Suck It and See though. But still accurate.
>>
>>63883179
Humbug B-sides are better than the songs on the album. I made my own "custom" humbug album with their B-sides added in and the shit ones taken out.
>>
listened to them in highschool, they're okay but nothing special
>>
File: 1435612904062.gif (945 KB, 420x304) Image search: [Google]
1435612904062.gif
945 KB, 420x304
I liked their first album, but I fell off the hype train hard come the second and haven't been interested in anything they've put out since.
>>
https://youtu.be/Tyv0Sm7uedw

Best song of their early period, although A Certain Romance really sums up life in Northern England at that time to a tee. That first album was THE album of that generation. FWN was pretty good, Humbug was great, and everything after that has been, well, just middling. Couldn't really get into AM at all.
>>
>>63887094
Which album?
>>
>>63887208
Related to your gif, listen to the newest Last Shadow Puppets album, it's great and different.
>>
>>63887240
>Last Shadow Puppets
Oh shit, I had no idea there was a new one of their out. I really liked their first album. More so than any AM release.
>>
>talking to chill girl in my AP stat class
>bit of an airhead but smart af when she applies herself
>talking about music, tell her I'm into blues rock, folk rock, chamber pop, but it varies a lot, based on my mood sometimes concrete from the 70's
>tells me her favorite band is arctic monkeys
>ask her fav song from them
>stop the world I wanna get off with you
So I looked at her for a second with the same dumb smile I showed to every other fucking faggot at that school
>that's nice. Hey ever heard of nirvana?
>yeah I really like the man who sold the world so original
I then proceed to prolapse my anus with the sheer force of built up rage
>well, yeah Cobain had a lot in him to get out, I'm just getting into his work and learning more about him as the years went on looks like he couldn't fake it, feel for the guy you know?
>whose that?
And that is the only day I got detention for leaving school early.

And this isn't a good thing /mu/. Its faggy. I know that. And I hate this place for becoming this way, because now it just contributes to my autism. My literal, autism. It makes it harder to deal with fuck faces.
>>
Pls don't shoot up the school
>>
there needs to be more Alex Turner in /mu/. Overall top 10 musician/songwriter
>>
Their 1st and 5th albums are their best.
>>
>>63880039
our memes are transcending reality, so we can now speak frankly.
>>
>>63888472
>Actually thinking "AM" is among their best
>>
Alex Turner turned into wanker would be my problem, I loved the first 4 albums then AM came out and was just devoid of any real substance. Ever since it came out they are different band.
I went to see them right before AM came out at electric picnic and they rocked the whole place it was amazing. Went to see them not even a year later in marley park and they sucked. Royal blood supported them though and were class.
>>
>>63889350
I went to see them in my city a couple of years ago, and The Hives supported them, honestly i thought The Hives were better than AM. Their live presence was very weak.
>>
>>63889750
>>63889350
See how do you go to that from this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOIZU0Kjrc8&nohtml5=False
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.