[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
mixing tips edition >Production Resources: >Pastebin -
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: 1431040808845.jpg (22 KB, 250x312) Image search: [Google]
1431040808845.jpg
22 KB, 250x312
mixing tips edition
>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CGHNJpHndE
>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors (wink, wink, WINK)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.
Four tet is a god t bh
Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP : posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy
>>
>>63875875
tfw afraid to make the first post a clyp post
>>
>>63876679
dont be afraid senpai
>>
fuck it ill post first.

https://clyp.it/wjlsphm3

any tips on getting my kick to punch through the mix more? its just so weak unless im listening to it on my beats. also this isnt really arranged fully yet i plan on adding a few more samples.
>>
bump?
>>
>>63876761
i actually like the track structure, not a fan of the drums but its because i hate trap shit, kick is alright but feels muddy i'd cut some freqs here and there too
>>
>>63877148
so like dip a point in the low to mid range a bit? im still learning how to use EQ but i think i know what u mean.
>>
File: BBTCX8mCAAAr8vN.jpg (45 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
BBTCX8mCAAAr8vN.jpg
45 KB, 600x450
>>63876761
I like how the kick integrates with the sub, but listening without a subwoofer it might be a little thin. What I would do is take some sample with a short transient with higher frequencies and layer that over the kick. Just be careful with overlapping transients. Watch this to get a better feel for layering if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2bpORfpMbs

Other than that, the marimba sample or what ever it is, is in a different key from the main sample and it sounds really jarring to me. I would pitch it to fit the key or get a new sample.

I'd like some feedback on this mix:
https://clyp.it/ku15tut4

It's for a short film I'm writing for and there's gonna be talking over most of it.
Right away I can see that it needs more compression as the peaks are just way too loud in comparison with the other stuff.

Also, what are some good places to post for getting feedback on music?
>>
>>63877391
Try /prod/ threads on /mu/ they might be able to help you out.
>>
>>63877494
Wow that is great advice! I'll see if I find one.
>>
>>63877391
>Mbs [Remove]
thanks mate ill try it out and report back in a bit
>>
guys I think I accidentally double compressed my mix

fuc

https://clyp.it/nffu1tcl
>>
>>63875875
>can't figure out how to make a subject
>clusterfuck of an OP
>no lunga
>likes four tet
christ, I can already tell this will be a terrible /prod/
>>
>>63878458
not OP but who is lunga and what is a four tet
>>
>>63878547
lunga is our usual OP image
by not putting /prod/ in the subject, or posting the Lunga image, it makes it hard to find the thread

four tet is a teasipper who talks like he has shoes in his mouth, and apparently makes music that only other teasippers like
>>
>>63877391
Really chill track. The snare and kick seem way too punchy though. Other than that great work!
>>
5 SECOND SERUM QUESTION

is there any way to copy an osc over to the other osc?

kthxbye
>>
>>63878728
Thanks yeah, that's the main issue right now. The heavy parts are supposed to be heavy and cinematic, yet minimalistic. All the while having a sort of fragile and melancholic expression while also not having too much melody or taking too much attention away from the voice over.

I'm working with a director who doesn't really know anything about music, and it's really frustrating to balance his requests with my own sensibilities while dealing with him referring to chords as "keys" and "melody".

>>63877937
What is it that you are trying to do though?
>>
>>63878581
>ctrl+f
>"/prod/"
there you go anon
>>
daily reminder that most of your guy's problem is BAD MIXING on the low mids

CLEAN THAT SHIT UP
>>
>>63879569
I clearly already found the thread dumbass. I'm saying the OP is garbage.
>>
>>63879599
daily reminder that most of your guys problem is BAD MIXING OVERALL.

You don't have the ear for it and should frankly give up because mixing it isn't cool or artistic, it's a science and you either get it or you don't. mafakkas.
>>
>>63879940
>you either get it or you don't
Yeah it clearly doesn't have anything to do with experience or learning
What skills were you innately blessed with, anon?
>>
>>63878581
Four tet is good and I found the thread by searching prod like every other time I've done it
>>
>>63880105
>mafakkas
being really cool, obviously
>>
>>63879940
How is it a science? Explain the science.
>>
>>63879940
A mix doesn't need to be 100% perfect.
Not everyone send their tracks in for mixing before they release their tracks.
>>
so like, why does soundcloud make all our songs sound like shit?
>>
>>63882021
Since when?
>>
>>63882111
since ever

transcoding is trash

muds of bass
makes high ends sound wet

gross
>>
>>63882135
what will be the next big thing anyway? Soundcloud will be the next myspace I think
>>
What direction do you think the wiki should go in? I want to contribute over summer but I don't know whether to write about things as if I'm talking to a complete beginner (like the DAW descriptions) or just list loads of links and upload useful files?

I'm sort of thinking about the links and files, I mean imagine if everyone in /prod/ pitched in with stuff they found, the wiki would be great!
>>
>>63883493
an organized section with links for samples and other files would be awesome
>>
Good tutorials for productions? I'm using Ableton. I'm almost done with sadowicks videos and I bought mixing and mastering for the home studios, what are some other essentials for the beginner producer?

PS like none of the links work in the pastebin so that's no help
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.