[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the Fleet Foxes actually good or are they just another overrated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: album_fleet_foxes.jpg (145 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
album_fleet_foxes.jpg
145 KB, 550x550
Are the Fleet Foxes actually good or are they just another overrated indie band?

Never actually listened to them and I recently remembered lots of music sites said good shit about them.

Opinions on them?
>>
Yeah they are lit
Try Ragged Wood and Mykonos
>>
They're good.
>>
>>63869255
Lots of people have the preconception that they're just basic overhyped indie but they're pretty unique

Much closer to Crosby/Stills/Nash than anything from the 2000s. And absolutely amazing vocal harmonies
>>
>>63869255
They're fantastic. Check out Father John Misty, their former drummer. He's just as good.
>>
>>63869452
>>63869424
>>63869370
>>63869397
I am very excited to give them a listen right now

Thanks lads
>>
I remember when they were popular and then they started getting shit on for being just another reverb heavy indie folk band.

I thought they were good then and I still think that now. They're lyrics are pretty meaningless, but the music is otherwise excellent IMO.

Meadowlarks is a beautiful song. Honestly I can't think of a single bad song by them. There are a few that are just eh, but most are good and a lot are great.

One of my favorite bands from when I was in high school.
>>
>>63869452
I don't think he's just as good. I Love You Honeybear is alright

His lyrics are clever and cheeky just as often as they are annoying or straight-up mean. He's a good singer though. And the variety of styles on that album is refreshing, although some of it isn't pulled off in an exciting way
>>
>>63869424
>>63869452
ITT: Retarded teenagers that need to fuck off back to r/indieheads

this band is a perfect example of the pure shit that indie """culture'"" spawned. where actual legitimate artistic talent is drowned out by romanticizing stupid shit ruining the whole thing in the process.

>muh
>m-muh apples in the summer
>muh grandfather making nests in the wonderous forest

such sugary bullshit lyrics are accompanied by sugary folk-pop, because of course it is. fuck. even mumford and sons is better than this shit. whoever likes this band unironically has a penis under 3 inches, this applies to both grils and guys alike.
>>
theyre terrific. Id describe them as kaleidoscopic and also like the feeling you get when a breeze blows in same direction you are walking and it seems to pick you up and carry you along as though you are floating forwards.
>>
>>63869664
Man, I miss you sometimes, oldfag moo.
>>
>this isn't pasta
>>
>>63869719
You forgot to link the post, dummy.
>>
>>63869664
y u hatin tho

they write good songs no matter whether you don't find them cool to like
>>
>>63869664
>this band is a perfect example of the pure shit that indie """culture'"" spawned. where actual legitimate artistic talent is drowned out by romanticizing stupid shit ruining the whole thing in the process.

how's your band doing

>muh

no one takes any argument seriously that begins with this

>such sugary bullshit lyrics

you realize the super earnest, and whimsichal lyrics are rooted in folk tradition? Listen to Joan Baez

>sugary folk-pop

not really sugary... kind of a weird description, there is s trong empahsis on harmony and cresendos, maybe that's what you mean, to mean that's really just a choice that improves the genreral themes Robin Peckenfold focuses on

>even mumford and sons is better than this shit. whoever likes this band unironically has a penis under 3 inches, this applies to both grils and guys alike.

I know your b8ing, this response is more for anyone else who might think like this
>>
File: 1459991113647.jpg (56 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1459991113647.jpg
56 KB, 450x450
>>63869827
oh seriously, fuck off r/indieheads. i literally lived in the countryside as a kid. this shit makes actual rural people cringe, it is literal background music for stupid liberal teenagers to pretend they are rural and wondrous over.

>Listen to Joan Baez
>let me just namedrop an artist I think is obscure and makes me cultured that I found on related artists for bob dylan on RYM kek
>super earnest
No. If you think some klinefelter urban fuck singing about apples in the summer being gold and sweet is earnest, you are naive and have zero perspective or self awareness.

>not really sugary
>proceeds to list qualitiese that define sugary background folkpop, kek

>who might think like this
>top kek again, typical "Im smarter than everyone, and the way I perceive the world is correct, fuck the people that actually live the lives I speak for, I will make up the objective truth"
>>
>>63869905
>thinks "apples in the summer" lyric is actually about apples

lmao, go home pleb.
>>
>>63869905
Checkmate liberal teenage r/indieheads users.
>>
>>63869998
DAMAGE CONTROL
>DAMAGE CONTROL
DAMAGE CONTROL
>DAMAGE CONTROL

If you're reaaally gonna reach that far and start pulling the "2 deep 4 u" route about a godamn retard romanticizing being a country hick, you've already lost.

>takes pleb term seriously
>>
File: a.gif (2 MB, 400x303) Image search: [Google]
a.gif
2 MB, 400x303
>>63869905

woah hold up senpai we got a nigga who literally lived in the countryside
>>
oh seriously, fuck off r/indieheads. i literally lived in the countryside as a kid. this shit makes actual rural people cringe, it is literal background music for stupid liberal teenagers to pretend they are rural and wondrous over.

>Listen to Joan Baez
>let me just namedrop an artist I think is obscure and makes me cultured that I found on related artists for bob dylan on RYM kek
>super earnest
No. If you think some klinefelter urban fuck singing about apples in the summer being gold and sweet is earnest, you are naive and have zero perspective or self awareness.

>not really sugary

>top kek again, typical "Im smarter than everyone, and the way I perceive the world is correct, fuck the people that actually live the lives I speak for, I will make up the objective truth"
>>
>>63869905
>muh trveness
>being this image-obsessed
>>
>>63870080
>to pretend they are rural and wondrous over.
thinking again, that's actually pretty cute
>>
>>63869255
I went into that album with no idea what to expect. Its really nice pretty feelgood nature music. Not crazy about the lyrics but I have a hard time believing that too many people would HATE how they sound.
>>
>>63870080
I lived in the counteyside too and went camping constantly and this album is a great representation of how nature feels when you're happy
>>
File: Now_People.png (239 KB, 429x315) Image search: [Google]
Now_People.png
239 KB, 429x315
>>
>>63869664

I'm calling bullshit on this.

Nothing is worse than M&S. Nothing.
>>
they suck but i'd welcome them back if it meant father john misty's insufferable solo career and antics came to an end
>>
>>63870080
>you post a pic of Avey, yet he wrote a song about Florida and isn't even from there.

this shit makes actual Florida people cringe, it is literal background music for stupid non-Floridian kids to pretend they are Floridians and alligator over.
>>
>>63870091
>being this dense and letting this much irony slip by

>fleet foxes is the epitome of an image obsessed, vain, manufactured and inauthentic band
>i am the image obsessed one

>>63870080
>You saw someone else copy/paste the message 2 days ago, who knows, maybe it'll work again this time?

>>63870029
Yes, it was a shithole. No, most rural areas are nothing like how pecknold fantasizes them.
>>
>>63869664
>m-muh apples in the summer
>muh grandfather making nests in the wonderous forest
I think the band is just fine but this made me laugh
>>
>>63870213
>an image obsessed, vain, manufactured and inauthentic band
Do you think all metal bands and gangsta rappers are murderers?
>>
>>63870180
nah there's definitely a good couple "artists", including but not limited to
>beat happening
>joy division
>keiji haino
>fanisk
>>
>>63870202
Typical liberal mindset

>b-but the way i romanticized and generalized a group of people isn't accurate?
>w-what? youre actually from that group? no youre wrong lol!!! the way i want it to be is the way it is, i dont care about facts!
>lemme just ironically quote you passive aggressively now, hehe cant get out of now, can you

>>63870180
I'll compromise- Fleet foxes and mumford/sons are equally shitty in different ways. Though father john misty easily is far worse than mumford and sons.
>>
>>63870237
No, I don't. Why, do all metal bands and gangsta rappers imply they have killed people?
>>
>>63870306
If they don't do it implicitly then their manufactured and inauthentic image usually does
>>
>>63870213
yeah you obviously are, because anything you said about them so far pertains to your shallow assumptions about the band ad hominem, their fanbase, a sense of perceived authenticity, shit like that

i don't really care whether they're trendy or in it for the money or anything, at all. i can take their music at face value
>>
>>63870373
But we were talking about how fleet foxes literally make lyrics about apples in the summer and grandfathers making wondrous nests in the forest.

>>63870413
>shallow assumptions
>I've made these CONCLUSIONS after listening to their entire discography, looking into basic background info on each member, and basically analyzing the obvious image on surface level they're going for. all things accounted, you autist fuck. theyre signed to subpop on top of all this shit

>i take their music at surface value
oh, well then you clearly have more validity in how you perceive them than I do.
>>
>>63870238
What a fucking waste of existence joy division was, just soulless dry shit, I'd rather dump an ashtray down my throat
>>
S/t was their only worthwhile release and it is a 7/10
>>
This thread reeks of autism
>>
>>63870473
>basic background info on each member, and basically "analyzing" the obvious image
or how about analyzing the songs they play on a musical level, rather than a lyrical one, ever thought about that?

besides i don't see anything wrong with their fantasizing vibe. change your values
>>
>>63870582
>change your values

literally what you nigger? in american folk music I value authenticity and something actual FOLK can appreciate, not a bunch of appropriating city boy hipsters, chart topping romanticizing bullshit.

>analyzing on a musical level
I've already said they clearly have talent. That is godamn wasted on this shit. It's sad.
>>
File: why.jpg (109 KB, 350x440) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
109 KB, 350x440
>>63869905
came back to see if you responded to my post, classic edge lord

>oh seriously, fuck off r/indieheads
>everyone I don't like is from this place

>i literally lived in the countryside as a kid. this shit makes actual rural people cringe,

where do you think I lived buddy, lol, I spent most of my childhood alone in the foothills of the Rockies wandering around with animals and shit

> it is literal background music for stupid liberal teenagers to pretend they are rural and wondrous over.

>people I dont like are this thing

>Listen to Joan Baez
>let me just namedrop an artist I think is obscure and makes me cultured that I found on related artists for bob dylan on

I just gave you a classic cheesy folk artist since I assumed you have no folk knowledge, my assumption still stands too

>No. If you think some klinefelter urban fuck singing about apples in the summer being gold and sweet is earnest, you are naive and have zero perspective or self awareness.

You are very bad at criticism, all your music "criticism" always ends up deflecting to the listener of said music, If I had to make a guess I'd say you don't know much about music and cover up that inadequacy by being loud, you are the person that makes me embarassed to call myself a big music fan at parties for fear of association

>not really sugary

So sugary just means earnest, I don't really see what kind of argument you are making here, is earnestness, or sincerity inheretly bad?

I was just making the argument for the sake of it, I assumed you were just b8ing
>>
aside from all the autism here we can at least agree pecknold can belt out some beautiful jams. some of the songs he's been playing recently opening for joanna newsom are fuckin killer. as well as the solo stuff he's done alongside fleet foxes. dude works melody 4 sure
>>
>>63870769
Yah really excited for what he does next
>>
>>63870728
Even more damage control!
>Let me just totally disregard my defense, what no I totally posted that artist as a joke ahaha

If you like fleet foxes as a folk artist, you likely don't listen to much folk. Don't pull that card, you're just embarrassing yourself.

>bad at criticism
>implying i claim to be a critic
>>
>>63870799
>Let me just totally disregard my defense, what no I totally posted that artist as a joke ahaha

not what I said, I love Joan Baez, I just listed a classic cheesy folk artist to show you its cheesy roots

>If you like fleet foxes as a folk artist, you likely don't listen to much folk. Don't pull that card, you're just embarrassing yourself.

>If you like artist you must not know anything about that genre

explain that logic to me buddy, or better yet dump your supremely knowledgeable folk library and watch me recognize most of them

>bad at criticism
>implying i claim to be a critic

>makes criticisms
>gets told they are bad ones
>Im not a critic doe

Ok, so you are admiting all your points suck, or are you implying no one should care about non-critics views? Either way you're fucked because Fleet Foxes have a great critical reception
>>
Helplessness>S/T>>Sun Giant=S/T EP
>>
>>63869255
this album is a 9
>>
>>63870610
>I've already said they clearly have talent
alright my bad

>literally what you nigger?
there is no need to be upset about any band just doing their thing
>>
Real talk they just make really pretty and sunny neo-folk music and some of the lyrics really are better than people give them credit for (Montezuma, Grown Ocean, Blue Spotted Tail). I think it's easy to dismiss them because their debut laid their image out for people, but there's so many great details of their second album, which altogether is better than their first.
>>
>>63870967
Helplessness Blues=Yellow House
>>
>>63871096
>Yellow House
Really tried to get into Grizzly Bear for a while but never could. Other than a few good songs I just don't get the appeal.
>>
They are seriously amazing
>>
>>63871231
I put veckatimest down for yearrrs until i tried it at a different point in my life and it wasn't remotely the same album
>>
>>63871231
>>63871291
concur with this, just put it on your listen once a year list, it might really connect one day
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vu_3RS2rO78
Too pure for this world
>>
>>63871303
honestly it's probably the best way to get into something without forcing yourself to try and like it. like, if you're not into kind of blue or agaetis bigornios or berlin trilogy or fleet foxes but u want to see the appeal just wait until you want to
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.