[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Needle Drop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5
File: nigga.png (1 MB, 1366x800) Image search: [Google]
nigga.png
1 MB, 1366x800
So many people on this board claim to hate him, but there are posts about him every day. WHY?
>>
/mu/tants are just being ironic sillly XDDXD
>>
You just posted him. WHY?
>>
>>63864481
stop reviewing memerap
>>
>>63864481

my grandma hates trump, and yet can't stop watching him on tv
>>
File: 1453648133327.jpg (106 KB, 560x510) Image search: [Google]
1453648133327.jpg
106 KB, 560x510
>>63864481
Because there are people that don''t hate him? Do you think people vote on what threads to make?
>>
>>63864506
What is memerap?
>>
>>63864481
I like Antonio
>>
He's an ex-/mu/tant who took what we all do on this board and turned it into a career. I guess people find that interesting.
>>
>>63864481
>So many people on this board claim to hate him
>there are posts about him every day.
you answered your own question bud
>>
>>63864509
it's funny because Trump is exactly like the attention whores on /mu/ like Aaron and Lazare that get people talking about them by being as obnoxious as possible. Over time the similarities have become glaringly obvious
>>
>>63864481
Because they hate him
>>
He's a celebrity to a community. Hate just comes with fame, that's just how that works.
>>
hes an indicator of sorts for taste depending on your personal opionion of him
if you see someone saying they like fantanos opinions you know from there more or less how shit their taste is
>>
File: 1459991457120.jpg (41 KB, 450x644) Image search: [Google]
1459991457120.jpg
41 KB, 450x644
>>63864506
The only rap that I actually enjoyed was death grips and tyler. I'll never get into rap.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDzmRlzrk2k
>>
>>63866666
>>
>>63866156
He still posts here
>>
I like the guy. I don't always agree with his opinions, but he seems like a genuinely cool guy.
>>
I think honestly it's because he's really watchable. So you watch him a lot, and realize how fundamentally idiotic musical criticism is.

Fantano's reviews are 40% context, and he does this shit really really well. This is straight up good journalism.

When Death Grips new album comes out, if you don't know anything about Death Grips, listen to the first three minutes of Fantano's review and he'll contextualize it really well.

But then for 15 minutes after that, he'll name aspects of the album such as "the instrumentals" or "the songs" and tell you whether he liked this aspect or not. Which is 100% fucking arbitrary, because who knows whether or not you agree with him.

He's not really able to articulate why he likes or doesn't like a given musical element, and then again nobody fucking is. It's a futile endeavor and it's a shame that the majority of his videos are basically watching someone fill out the survey card at a hotel breakfast buffet. 0-5 how good was the beat on track 1? Track 2? Track 3? etc.

Another thing he and particularly pitchfork like to fuck with is lyrics, and degree of lyrical coherence across a given album or body of work. But they will never justify why lyrical coherence actually is a desirable musical property, because nobody can justify such a subjective thing.

tl;dr he's a cool guy but he's a music critic and music criticism is a waste of time
>>
>>63864481
Because his opinions carry so much weight.
>>
because /mu/ likes dank memes and fantano is one
>>
Because /mu/ isn't one person silly
>>
>>63867571

Music criticism (and journalistic criticism/reviews in general) serves as a middle man between consumers and producers of a good/service. I don't watch Fantano but I see how someone that is new to music would like the simplistic and meme-filled manner in which he presents his videos.
>>
>>63867571
nice review brah
>>
>>63867571
You obviously don't understand the point of music criticism. It's intended to give you a point of view on an album that you might not have had. If you disagree, you arguably get more out of it than if you agree. You watch/read music reviews for the same reason you discuss music with someone.

As someone who enjoys Fantano's videos. You can't ignore the fact that he is HORRIBLE when it comes to actually arguing his opinion. I've seen how people will go on his twitter posting how they disagree and rather than giving more reasoning as to why he doesn't like something, he'll just shut their opinion down as if it doesn't matter. He's also just kindof a dick in general.
>>
Reddit pretends to love everything, 4chan pretends to hate everything and there's no in-between. Choose your poison.
>>
>>63869302

You better be listening to the album before watching the review.

>>63869323

/mu/ has actually become more accepting of fanboys and memefags, while most reddit boards that I have seen actively work towards creating a stupid safe space.
>>
>>63869113
I think they can get everything they need out of the fact-based portion of the review, where he explains what genre they are by large considered to be apart of, what was the general reaction to their albums, etc.
>This band's debut was great but then their next 6 albums were commonly thought to suck, and then they broke up for 10 years. But now Damo Suzuki joine the band and they are back with a new album and the expectations are high because [explains history of Damo Suzuki]
That sort of shit would be great for new music fans, I agree.

>>63869302
>It's intended to give you a point of view on an album that you might not have had.
I totally agree that this is the point of criticism and I just so rarely experience it in music criticism. I think criticism is a valid form of journalism and I respect critics and even think they can be great artists in their own right. I fucking love Pauline Kael for example. If you can recommend me music critics who offer real fucking insight into albums, I'm totally down. I believe it can happen, I just haven't really experienced it. I certainly don't think Fanto and p4k achieve it.
>>
>>63869689
>>63869302
Let me retract what I said actually. I have read good music criticism. Pic related.

Premise of book is that he has access to the recording sessions in full, so not just "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" as appears on the album but all the rough takes, the arguments in between, etc. His analysis are opinion-oriented, but they're all based on the musicians themselves discussing what they want to achieve as they fail and succeed in different measures to achieve it.

I don't think that sort of depth is remotely realistic for normal music critic. They listen to the album, they describe to you what elements are contained therein. Then, they (rather superfluously) describe whether or not they liked those elements. They don't have any deeper ideas to tie those opinions to, in virtually all cases that I've seen.
>>
> REAL TRUTH

its because his namedropping of this board brought hundreds of youtube commenters here, so of course theyre talking about him. They are incapable of forming their own opinions and they only know about this site through him.

I remember the first namedrops and how they markedly affected the quality of this board. Think about how shitty youtube comments are. Those people are in this thread right now.
>>
>>63864481
because shitposters like yourself make them.
>>
File: cover.png (1 MB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
cover.png
1 MB, 1000x1000
Cause he didn't review this album
>>
I like him. I disagree with him sometimes but he's good at articulating what he likes and doesn't like. Much better than Pitchfork, that shit needs to be contained.
>>
>>63869743
>>63869689
Another good example of music criticism
http://thetalkhouse.com/music/talks/lou-reed-of-the-velvet-underground-talks-kanye-wests-yeezus/
>>
>>63869689
>>63869743

I see your opinion and I agree that music criticism requires historical context (of the artist/music scene) and sociological and musicological substance.

Fantano generally does a poor job at the latter two but he's useless for anything other than discovering music, something that RYM does much better.

>>63869829
probably accurate but trashy fans doesn't equal a trashy product.
>>
>>63864481
Kinda looks like a white Hannibal Buress here.
>>
File: day in life.jpg (43 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
day in life.jpg
43 KB, 300x400
>>63869743
here was the pic related
>>
>>63870139
This desu senpai

>>63870023
>>
>>63870323
>Fantano generally does a poor job at the latter two but he's useless for anything other than discovering music, something that RYM does much better.
yep, you can get everything you could get from fantano more efficiently from other sources.

fantano if you are reading this, sorry for the harsh words famalam but you NEED to either up your game on the opinion front and justify your opinions with better musicology, or abandon that shit altogether and transition into more interview/release notes oriented music journalism.

keep in mind it's already a conflict of interest that you interview the same artists you review. you're by no means the only critic that does this but you are all equally wrong to do it.

make your opinions a footnote rather than the substance of your videos.
>>
>>63864481
because he's the perfect daddyfu
>>
>>63864481
Because he's experienced and inciteful about music and the music industry even if often partly wrong
>>
>>63870557
his insight into the music industry is totally valuable but he's not THAT great of an insider.

For example you can compare his recent interview with Milo to this dude's interview
http://kindaneat.net/milo-2/
the TND interview is embarrassingly poorly-researched by comparison. milo even constantly apologizes as if he's embarrassing fantano just for inevitably having to clarify basic shit, let alone be aware the milo had a falling out with the hellfyre club etc
>>
>>63864481
The only time he ever wronged me was when he compared Gojira to Disturbed.
>>
>>63870650
i mean for real if it's about opinions, i disagree with him almost 100% of the time

i didnt'r ealize it at first because he generally likes a lot of the music i like. for example I enjoy the album "the powers that b" by death grips. but when i listen to his review literally half of my favorite moments he specifically cites as the worst aspects of the album. this pattern holds true for basically all of his reviews.
>>
>>63870622
jesus
>>
>>63870694
what
>>
>>63870732
you snuck up on me
>>
>>63870139
If memetano would take the time to review it he'd give this masterpiece a light 6
>>
>>63866630
Try mf doom
>>
>>63864636
popular (inside this niche) rap that anon doesn't like
>>
melonhead is numero uno to us normies
>>
>>63864636
All rap is memerap lad
>>
Anthony reply to this post pls
>>
>>63872160
My name is Anthony and I'm replying to your post.
>>
>>63872148
#RESISTGENRELABELS BABY
>>
>>63872160
Hello there
>>
>>63864481
I made that bitch famous
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.