[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DEAKIN - SLEEP CYCLE OUT NOW
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 247
Thread images: 22
File: DEAKIN - SLEEP CYCLE - cover-1.png (1 MB, 2236x2236) Image search: [Google]
DEAKIN - SLEEP CYCLE - cover-1.png
1 MB, 2236x2236
Deak's EP is out now!

https://deakinjams.bandcamp.com/album/sleep-cycle

SUPPORT THE DEAK.

What is the best song and why is it Good House?
>>
DEAK THE FREAK DID IT. HE ACTUALLY DID IT
>>
2nd for AOTY
>>
Is it still the cassette rip?
>>
golden chords, just am, footy and good house are amazing
couldnt get into seed song at all but hey its only 3 minutes
and i dont think shadow mine really counts as a track that can be reviewed in comparison to the others, its very much just filler/intermission period
>>
>>63862306
tl;dr aotysf
>>
What other projects are like Sleep Cycle?
>>
Embarrasing
Stop shilling your shitty album Deak
>>
NIGGERS
>>
File: wtf u cunt.jpg (12 KB, 261x191) Image search: [Google]
wtf u cunt.jpg
12 KB, 261x191
>>63862357
>>
VINYL
WHEN?
H
E
N
?
>>
>expecting very dense, a la Sun Araw compositions
>got very comfy dream pop

Fuck me, Deakin needs to be the brains for the new AnCo album
>>
File: bonfire.jpg (43 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
bonfire.jpg
43 KB, 600x600
who's the best anco member? i havent listened to enough solo projects to be able tell yet
>>
SUPPORT THE DEAK
>>
>>63864309
Deak or Panda
>>
>>63864309

>Avey Tare is definitely the brains of AnCo, but his solo albums and Slasher Flicks are okay at best
>Panda Bear is consolidated as a solo musician, but his AnCo contributions are hit or miss
>Deakin is surely showing a big potential, but he's mostly absent from the band
>Geologist
>>
>>63864309
DEAK
>>
>>63864309
Avey for sure, he's the real core of AnCo. If you ignore Person Pitch or include STGSTV then Avey's solo discog is also by far the best.

Panda outshined Avey in 2007-2009 but it seems like he peaked really hard and hasn't been able to live up to it.
>>
What genre is this?
>>
>>63864734

post-grunge
>>
>>63864734
post-freak-folk
>>
>>63864734
Freak folk and psychedelic folk.
>>
>>63864559
This.

Geo is a mystery. I hope he releases some kind of crazy wall-noise, musique concrete album soon. Then everyone in AnCo will have a GOAT solo (STGSTV, PP, SC)
>>
>>63864965
I thought they considered STGSTV as a AnCo album
>>
>>63864858
this honestly
>>
File: restored_file_158960.jpg (25 KB, 550x891) Image search: [Google]
restored_file_158960.jpg
25 KB, 550x891
>>63862293
Not anymore

(Flac)
https://mega.nz/#F!a5tmDRoJ!3TiRwPWIVZ9D9a9OUwVV-A
>>
>>63865043
they do, they rereleased it under anco
>>
>>63864309
Pullhair Rubeye is the best AnCo related album so I have to go with Avey desu
>>
>>63865099
So then it's not a Avey Tare solo album then right or is it in that grey area
>>
>>63865088
Wew lad thanks
>>
File: 1459942628352.jpg (11 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1459942628352.jpg
11 KB, 200x200
AVEY
>practically made Spirit
>goatest voice
>AnCo is really his project

PANDA
>made Person Pitch, an easy 10/10
>his Co-ops with Avey are mostly great, but can be gimmicky with his voice range
>the music man

DEAKIN
>AnCo is best with guitars and he plays it like a deity
>Sleep Cycle really is fantastic
>Great voice

GEOLOGIST
>>
>>63864858
jfc

perfect
>>
>>63864965
Based on Stretching Songs For Spring, I can tell his solo album would be incredible.
>>
>>63865219
anco started in 1999 right? how can geologist have contributed so little in 17 years, im new to anco but i figured they kept him for a reason
>>
>>63865219
GEOLOGIST SOLO WHEN
>>
>>63865300
he made baleen sample

just that alone is 10/10

he's the production in the band
>>
>>63865300
He's contributed a fuckton instrumentally. He's easily the best knob twiddler of them all.
>>
>>63865300
Someone's gotta make the bleep bloops
>>
File: Format 1-2_body.jpg (92 KB, 448x299) Image search: [Google]
Format 1-2_body.jpg
92 KB, 448x299
>>63865300
Maybe he's like deakin and will release a great solo out of no where in 2019
>>
>>63864858
How is it post freak folk
>>
>>63865300

Someone has to record the tracks in Minidisc recorders
>>
>>63865300
Geologist is the foundation of the band's sound.

Can you imagine Feels, Strawberry Jam, or MPP without their samples and production?

>>63865327
Actually Avey made Baleen Sample based on a sample Geo had (which was not actually of baleen whales).
>>
>>63865364
new desu
>>
>>63865126
This gets talked about a lot here. Officially it is an AnCo record but it was basically an Avey solo project and he asked Panda to play the drums for it and was so impressed he put Panda's name on it. He's talked about it before in interviews.
>>
>>63865332
*was
the knob twiddling on their past two albums has been lackluster
>>
>>63865845
I wouldn't be surprised if it was because the other guys had greater influence on it. On the current tour they each have a modular set up in front of them, which means Geo is only 1/3 of the bleeps
>>
>>63862276
>>63862325
Ugh shut up no it's not.

>>63864309
Avey for sure. He gave us Crumbling Land, he gave us Sung Tongs, he gave us Pullhair Rubeye, he gave us I Am Your Eagle Kisser, he gave us a majority of Painting With, he gave us a majority of MPP, he's really the main lead of Animal Collective.

Any other answer is objectively wrong. Also, Down There is an awesome solo project representing a very dark time in Avey's life. Slasher Flicks was a great album, and his songs on random mixes (TTG and Keep Cassette and ODDSAC) were all great. Call Home (Buy Grapes), Kindle Song, Mr Fingers, What Happened, What Would I Want Sky, On A Highway, all amazing songs. He's probably the most consistent song writer in the group.

>>63864965
The closest thing you'll get to a geo solo project is Spring Songs for Stretching.

>>63865126
STGSTV was literally a solo album written by Avey on which he asked Panda to add drums. When it was reissued it was listed as an Animal Collective album. The original release was Avey Tare and Panda Bear. Avey wrote every song on that album.

>>63865219
He didn't "practically make spirit" he literally wrote the entire thing. Panda only contributed drumming. Also, Geologist is really under-credited. Imagine Animal Collective songs without the looping and cool electronic elements and the atmosphere. He really does a LOT for their sound. Like, A LOT.
>>
File: 1458694436135.jpg (33 KB, 629x505) Image search: [Google]
1458694436135.jpg
33 KB, 629x505
>each member is almost 40
>>
Did Deakin contribute anything to Strawberry Jam besides bonefish?
>>
>>63866027
Feels good to know Avey and Panda have committed to this being a life long project. Not sure about Geo or Deak though.
>>
Why is Sleep Cycles so poorly produced. It clips like a mofo.
>>
>>63866070
The fuck you talking about?
>>
>>63866084
How do you guys not hear this clipping? Maybe I got a shit leak that is just a transcoded shitty cassette rip.

Is this bandcamp actually his or am I going to be paying for a shitty leak?
>>
>>63866118
Its his. There is a 320 and FLAC download here
>>
File: deak doesnt clip.png (60 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
deak doesnt clip.png
60 KB, 1920x1040
>>63866070
>>63866118

Is not very dynamic but it doesn't even clip.

I have the FLAC version from Bandcamp btw
>>
>>63866118
bandcamp is his
Try >>63865088
>>
>>63862352
Pet sounds
Trout mask
Batman V Superman
Mona Lisa
The bible
>>
>>63864559
This is something I've noticed a lot, does anybody even know who does what in an co albums? Like where the ideas come from? It seems like a lot of guessing
>>
>>63866166
That's literally what I was just listening to. You guys don't hear that atrocious clipping on the low end?

Hm.
>>
>>63866183
is /tv/ pro-Batman vs Superman? I haven't followed the reaction
>>
>>63865364
Exuma + Spiritualized

It's the natural development of freak folk
>>
>>63866218
It's like a meme album here, except it was disliked by many from the start AND it's critically panned. But what's happening now is basically a war between marvel and DC fans, it's really annoying
>>
>>63866202
They usually, well, used to, get together and just jam out ideas. Being that they're all so spread apart now, which now that I think about it has a huge influence on their sound, they kind of discuss what kind of ideas they'd like to get across. Like with CHz they wanted a really airy and dry sound, something that would sound big in a room and sound great played on speakers that would react with the air in the room. I know that sounds weird, but CHz is a completely different experience blasting on speakers, almost a better one. That's how it was mixed.

Painting With was more of a focus as a commentary on society and the aspects of cubism and dadaism. They talk about it in this interview here.

http://diymag.com/2016/02/08/animal-collective-interview-painting-with

I really feel like people don't take these kinds of things into consideration. Animal Collective doesn't just make shit to sound cool or "different" or for the sake of being "weird". There is an actual logical process behind the things they do musically.
>>
>>63866309
So basically it's Speeding Bullet 2 Heaven, or Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz?
>>
>>63865972
>he gave us a majority of MPP
I mean Avey's no doubt the primary creative force in the band but MPP def goes to Panda
>>
>>63866320
That's an interesting point about being mixed for speakers, I wonder if that's why CHz songs sound way better live. I always assumed it was because they refined them for their concerts after the album came out.
>>
>>63866387
??
literally only 4 songs are panda songs
>>
>>63864309
>>63864449
>>63864559
>>63864570
>>63864670
>>63865112
>>63865972

All of this "best member" bullshit. It's like you don't get Animal Collective at all.

>panda peaked and can't live up to it
>live up to it

He doesn't give a fuck about living up to anything. They're all just making what feels right.

And the ranking... it bums me out to see people constantly talking about how their taste is better and everyone elses is shit. Do you ever think about what you get out of music? Do you ever try to havea conversation where you're putting ideas together and getting better?

For some on this board it's about knocking the other kid's castle down, instead of working together to make a rad on that's big enough for you to go inside and play.

Just things to think about.
>>
>>63866428
No, they intentionally wanted it to be mixed to sound better on big speakers. Something about the way the sound would react with the acoustics of rooms and vibrate the air. For instance, the organs on NTB sound SOOOOO GOOOOD blasting on huge speakers.

>>63866387
Eh, I don't think so bud. A lot of the huge hitters from that album were written by Avey. The only one that MAY have been written by Panda and was a huge single is My Girls.

So, lets think about this:

My Girls
Daily Routine
Guys Eyes
No More Runnin'

That's 4 out of what, 12 songs? What other songs did he write on that album?
>>
>>63866557
shitposting is more fun anon. in fact, that's why it's funposting.
>>
>>63866183
(this is 100% true btw)
>>
>THE TRANSITION FROM SEED SONG TO GOOD HOUSE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's nice.
>>
>>63866557
I totally agree with you. Every memeber of AnCo brings something different to the table and this is kind of what Josh was talking about when he was saying he was disappointed in the conversation surrounding his album.

People are literally shitting on his best friends for making the music they want to make and placing his music above theirs when in reality, they all have a passion for music and are just making what they enjoy.

That's the thing about Animal Collective. You're joining them on their musical journey. They're not there to please a market, or sell copies, or retread old territory. They're there to expand and grow as a band and enter new territories and if you like them enough to follow along with them, that's just a plus. I find it ridiculous people think Painting With was an attempt to make another "successful pop" album like MPP because they're "washed up".

If anything, Painting With shows they can still be innovative as fuck. Sure some people may not like it, but I feel those people just don't understand what that album is really about. There are concepts and symbolism behind a lot of it. It's one of my top three to be honest, and it made it up there pretty fucking quickly. But again, my favorite animal collective albums are always changing because they're all so different.
>>
>>63866596
My Girls
Also Frightened (it's about noah's kids)
Daily Routine
Guys Eyes
Brother Sport

No More Runnin' is Avey if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>63866328
Well, people talk about it actually being good in some ways even though it's flawed, whole others flat out think it's terrible. I'm no expert though and I still have to actually watch the movie to know what is meme and what is not
>>
>>63866596
Isn't Brother Sport his?

Plus always likened it more to him since its sound is so similar to PP
>>
>>63866646
I prefer this version of Good House desu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3a-coBIuBs

You kids need to listen to Transverse Temporal Gyrus. It's fantastic.
>>
>>63866596
daily routine and guys eyes could play over 6 times and be their own album. But you're right, avey writes most of the songs.
>>
>>63866328
>>63866673
I think people are too quick to call albums masterpieces and too quick to call movies complete shit. Generally speaking
>>
>>63866668
Ah, I forgot about Brother Sport being his. Are you sure Also Frightened is? Sounds more like an Avey tune...but yeah Brother Sport def is his I forgot it's about him ensuring his brother everything would be okay after their dad passed.

Fuck, No More Runnin' is so god damn good. So is In The Flowers. I dunno man, I've always been more partial to Avey. He may be the poppier one but at times I feel he's a lot more experimental.
>>
>>63866721
>daily routine and guys eyes could play over 6 times and be their own album

what did you mean by this?
>>
>>63866663
I'm still unpacking Painting With after 15 or so listens and seeing them live. There's a lot.

A lot of people on mu just don't like it because it's a more playful, bright sounding album. I agree it's a whole new direction for them, which has been scary for many people who MPP was so important to. CHz made them feel alienated because it wasn't what they expected or wanted. PW continued that process. But that's part of what makes it so great! It's all brand new music. Every album is a new genre they've created.
>>
>>63866764
This.

Because Sleep Cycles is NOT aoty material. By any means. What so ever.
>>
>>63866828
I mean they're both masterpieces.
>>
>>63866328
BvS actually has good parts tho
>>
um so is this Deakin record a meme or what is going on

I'm listening now and it's crap
>>
>>63866837
I think people just can't appreciate the digging of nuances of sound in CHz and Painting With. There are small little melodies hidden all over, yet all anyone seems to focus on are the "farting bass" and hocketing.

I love the hocketing, I think it's used tastefully and adds a really nice bounce to all the tunes.

Centipede Hertz was a similar musical concept in that they started off with a main melody and wanted to have a ton of little disjointed melodies and rhythms surrounding that main melody like the melody is the body of the centipede and all the other bits are little legs clattering around carrying the album through.
>>
File: 20140501_165535.jpg (48 KB, 802x1024) Image search: [Google]
20140501_165535.jpg
48 KB, 802x1024
>the spatial awareness that went into this production master
It's like I can feel Deakin's warm love all around me. He set the vox so high in the mix that his voice just fucking glides through the guitars and sampled rhythms.

It's like that ethereal, spacey thirty minute rise right after you take mushrooms.

Deakin is a fucking genius.
>>63866889
Hello, Domino Records. Have you guys been getting my emails? I've been sending you my demos for years.
>>
>>63866889
>>63866839
spotted the plebs
>>
>>63866889
You're like that kid who walks in on other kids having fun playing dnd and starts blasting eminem and trying to wrestle them.

The EP is really great stuff, I guess it's just not for you.
>>
>>63866856
I must not be hearing the same EP as you because I'm not getting any of this.

>>63866889
Golden Chords is literally the only thing I genuinely enjoy. Those lyrics are astounding and his vocals on this song are phenomenal in comparison to the rest which sound strained and like he is practically yelling.
>>
File: 1449983147225.gif (1 MB, 370x288) Image search: [Google]
1449983147225.gif
1 MB, 370x288
>>63866900
>like the melody is the body of the centipede and all the other bits are little legs clattering around carrying the album through.

woah
>>
>>63866925
You're living this album up entirely off of hype. It's okay, but certainly not "aoty" material. If anyone is the pleb here, it's you.

I bet you think Danse and STGSTV are shit too don't you?
>>
>>63866900
CHz has some of the best guitar work I've ever heard. All those little melodies hidden in there. I didn't know they'd imagined it like that.
>>
>>63866931
>You're like that kid who walks in on other kids having fun playing dnd and starts blasting eminem and trying to wrestle them.

I was that kid and I like the EP

nerd
>>
>>63866963
nice assumptions
>>
>>63866931
hahahahahaah underrated post
>>
>>63866957
There is context to be taken with each of their albums, especially in recent years.

Stop taking shit at face value.

Painting With is called such because they were focusing on the themes of cubism and dadaism. The reason the hocketing works so well in my opinion is because it gives the sense that all these geometric shapes are falling into place on a canvas in order to form a larger picture. In songs like Vertical you have the crazy coin-flippy-spazzy guitar riff over the hook, the hocketing gives the feeling of going up and up and up, stacking and stacking, like bits and pieces are just falling on top of each other.

I guess visualizing sound isn't something everyone can do, but it certainly works to my advantage to get the most out of Animal Collective's album and it's certainly the way they write their music. They think in soundscapes, and visualize what they want to create, what atmosphere they want to make. What kinds of sounds and textures would "live" there if you will.

May sound like some shit I'm pulling out of my ass but I have been an animal collective fan for years and read plenty of interviews. They know their shit.
>>
>>63866557
>making what feels right
>Painting With
Deakin is clearly the best because he wasn't part of Painting With
>>
>>63867005
I'm not wrong though, am I? Other wise you'd be making a retort.

Sleep Cycle is just "okay" tier guys. Get over it.
>>
>>63867067
Deakin clearly isn't the best because he's been waiting 6+ years to release THIS.

Come on guys. SIX FUCKING YEARS AND THIS IS WHAT WE GET.
>>
>>63867051
>coin-flippy-spazzy guitar riff
hello average pitchfork reviewer
>>
If at least Panda could sing live
>>
>>63867051
For sure. I just wish they'd talk about their philosophies in those interviews, too. But it's all there in the music.
>>
>>63867146
hello person just waiting to criticize people on the internet instead of trying to have a meaningful (not just intelligent) conversation. Not the person you replied to, by the way.
>>
>>63867079
No you are. I love stg and danse how could you not.

I just also hold the opinion that SC is pretty exceptional and potentially stands to the best of all the other solo works.
>>
>>63867146
lol whatever bro you're acting like this was a well thought out and revised "review".

>>63867153
They do talk about them in their interviews...go read some. I don't just pull this stuff out of my ass.
>>
>>63867102
What's your point? I'll be YOU couldn't produce a 10/10 of this caliber in ten years.
>>
>>63867195
>10/10 of this caliber

That's the fucking problem it's NOT ten out of ten. I could produce something like this by the end of the year bud.
>>
>>63867152
He's not as good as Avey live, but I'm pretty sure he has to be in some sort of zen state to record vocals. I really get the feeling he does dosens of takes for each individual layer. He sounded great in Daily Routine when I saw last month though!
>>
>>63867193
>stands to the best of all the other solo works

Ehhhhh I don't think so. It's a good direction to go in..but Just Am, Shadow Mine and the fact that Seed Song is a 1.15 long transition into a very underwhelming version of Good House is pretty disappointing. As I said before, Good House was way better when it was on TTG.
>>
>>63867225
Then please do and you're one of my favorite artists. You really ought to, because it's a pretty unique blend of songwriting, and there isn't enough of it in the world. Though I'm pretty sure you're just a textbook narcissist. Prove me wrong?
>>
File: 1436303218611.jpg (210 KB, 623x527) Image search: [Google]
1436303218611.jpg
210 KB, 623x527
>>63867225
Then do it.

Shoot me an email with the finished product.
>[email protected]
I'll post it here so you won't be accused of viraling and we'll see if it generates a comparable response.
>>
>>63867268
Also, the production on this album really is NOT that great. It's pretty poorly mixed and sounds fairly amateur.
>>
>>63867281
I'll prove you wrong when I drop the album I am writing about my grandfather who passed away last month.

I'm not even kidding. Be on the look out. Not saying it will be 10/10 but it will be at least on par with this.
>>
>>63867194
>>63867188
It's just a bit too pretentious a phrase to just toss in a review. That's all.

Personally, Painting With didn't do anything for me. I didn't feel transcended by anything from it other than those beatiful panda vocals on the burglars last chorus and some polirythms randomly scattered in the record. This coming from a huge AnCo fan.
>>
>>63867284
It won't generate a comparable response because I'm not a fucking member of Animal Collective who has been memed here for 6+ years.

That's the point I am trying to make, a lot of this hype about this being such a great album comes from the memery involving Deakin. He had a buzz without even having to fucking do anything because you guys have been memeing him since his existence in the music scene.
>>
>>63867153
Well there's Panda's views on race in that one interview, assuming you're talking about musical philosophies though
>>
>>63867051
I like PW a fair bit too. My biggest complaint about it is some of the songs are too short. A lot of them wrap up just when it feels like they hit their stride. SJ was roughly the same length so I feel like we could have gotten more out of it.

I can see why its like that though. Some songs on CHz went on for too long, like Applesauce.
>>
>>63867320
>pretentious
Dude you don't know what that fucking word means. Please don't use it.

It was anything but pretentious. I clearly didn't know how the fuck to describe the sound.
>>
>>63867310
What name are you going by? I want to be on the lookout. Not to rip on you, but to really see if such a thing can come to fruition. I'm open minded.
>>
>>63867337
That was another point they wanted to make with this album, seeing how much they could accomplish in songs less than 3 minutes long. It was a main focus when writing the album.

I find the songs are the perfect length and it really carries pretty well up until about Spilling Guts or Summing the Wretch.
>>
>>63865300
listen to Derek. hear panda's vocals with geo's samples and then notice the amazing guitar by deak. quintessential anco song
>>
>>63867333
No I meant life, the universe, and everything. I get their musical philosophies. I really will have to read some interviews tonight.

Is there a place where all of the links are compiled?
>>
>>63867364
Grandson. I will make a bandcamp when I'm ready to release some stuff. Maybe I'll release a single or something some day within the next few months. Still in the song writing phase right now.
>>
>>63867333
>Panda's views on race

This meme needs to fucking die.
>>
>>63867403
Everything you'd ever want to know about Animal Collective you will find at www.collectedanimals.org

Trust. We're all gigantic fans over there, and if you are too, you'll fit right in.
>>
>>63867408
spit me some pottery
>>
>>63867357
so you mean to tell me saying a sound was coin-flippy isn't a tad pretentious? Like what does a coin flip even sound like. I don't care if you meant for it to sound pretentious or not, I don't care if you just didn't know how to describe the sound, it just isn't a way to describe a sound therefore it's pretentious, it's like if i described a sound as green.
>>
>>63867440
They were just typing what they were imagining. Translating sound into text is not an exact science. To fixate on that one phrase alone, out of a paragraph of text, is kind of bizarre.
>>
>>63867440
>it's like if i described a sound as green
sounds like danse
>>
ITT: Actual discussion about music and the people making it.
>>
>>63867424
Here's a song I am writing about a story my uncle told me of my Grandfather where he bailed 40 acres of hay in Hector, NY for a WW2 veteran. The veteran refused to pay my grandfather who was probably 18-20 at the time, so my grandfather apparently wooped his assed and gained a repuation in his town.

Fuck it, I'll just give you a little clip. It's a rough draft and it's not even anywhere near done. This is the first song. I'm going to be throwing certain sentimental things on the album too like a monotone ringtone of We Wish you a Merry Christmas, which I will probably include the backstory for in a booklet, and the last voicemail any of my family received from him before he passed. Literally like 4 days before he died.

But here's the song clip, it's called Hay Bails.

https://instaud.io/mwI

Like I said, it's still a work in progress. This album is going to be a big undertaking for me, and probably the first serious album I have ever written. But it's all for the grace of my grandfather.
>>
>>63867440
You DON'T know what pretentious means. PLEASE stop.
>>
>>63867519
its like bizarro /mu/ in here
>>
So, are we all ready to make this album mu-core yet?
>>
>>63867494
I wasn't criticizing, I just thought the phrase was oddly used. ffs
>>
>>63867519
For all the shit AnCo fans get, they've been cool the past few days. The Deak apology letter and this thread, anyway.
>>
>>63867559
It will undoubtedly become /mu/-core simply because it's Deakin. That's the only reason it will gain legendary status because a fucking living meme made it.

It's good, don't get me wrong, but people will tote it as AOTY and the greatest thing in the AnCo discog because the living meme Deakin FINALLY RELEASED HIS ALBUM OH MY GOD HAVE YOU HEARD IT ITS SO GOOD.
>>
>>63867545
enlighten me then. cause ill be damned if it isn't something pr
>>
Called Deakin guys :)

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0lYJ05elPSu
>>
File: 1422126347629.jpg (31 KB, 379x379) Image search: [Google]
1422126347629.jpg
31 KB, 379x379
>>63867597
>>63867330
Why are you an angry? Do you hate music or something?
>>
>>63867603
something pretending to be something that it isn't.

in this case: you pretending to have enough musical knowledge to describe a fucking sound a coin-flip
>>
>>63867521
potentially decent feelscore I'm impressed
>>
>>63867635
I'm not angry in the slightest honestly. I just cuss like a sailor. If that makes me angry then yeah, I'm so butt mad.

I was just stating the facts. I am a no-body. Sooooo why the fuck would anyone even give my album a chance regardless of how good it is? You can't tell me you listen to some unknown at any given moment when you have a perfectly good catalog of music you could be listening to. The truth of the matter is, no one knows who I am so why would they care to hear my tunes? And it's certainly not going to gain any traction in comparison to Deakin who has been a living meme for nearly a decade. That's all my point was.

But yes, I hate music. That's why I spend all of my free time working on various genres and getting my production skills up and studying sound engineering and writing songs.
>>
>>63867519
It's scaring me. Painting With was all memes but this is actually getting discussion. Spooky shit fám
>>
Someone edit the wiki
http://4chanmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Deakin
>>
>>63867644
Uhhh no that's not what pretentious means you dumb ass.

>attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

I was merely describing a sound to the best of my ability. In what way does that place me in a higher stature than I truly belong in? So trying to describe something to the best of my ability now makes me pretentious?

>>63867680
It will be very feelscore man. I love my grandpa. Watched him struggle to breathe for a week on a hospice bed, unable to speak or communicate with anyone. He was completely conscious, just his lungs were destroyed from pneumonia and he was far too weak to do anything. I played him some music by his bed side one day with his guitar and he opened his eyes for the first time I'd seen and looked at me for like 3 seconds. I was singing Play Crack the Sky by Brand New, a song he always liked when I played it.

God damn man, that song has entirely new meanings to me now man. It's like he was my captain man, he taught me pretty much everything I know and love about music.

anyway

/blogpost

I will definitely keep anyone who is interested posted on updates. I guess check back in the next few months. I'll probably get shit on for "shilling" my album. But whatever.
>>
File: kentridge-complainta.jpg (23 KB, 376x279) Image search: [Google]
kentridge-complainta.jpg
23 KB, 376x279
>>63867697
Not gonna be successful with that attitude, lad.

What it boils down to is Deak dropped an EP; most people are blown away by it and you're in the tint minority of people not impressed. The guy has hardly been active with his own band for the past ten years, so just be happy for him, alright?

His music is literally selling for six bucks on bandcamp. It's not like he's become fantastically wealthy on this or anything. Your resentment of him is just a waste of emotion.
>>
>>63867801
You're acting like I'm saying I hate the guy and his album is shit.

All I'm saying is it's fairly mediocre and you guys are seriously overrating it. I'm happy for him, he release his solo album finally. However, it's NOT worth the hype you guys are giving it.

But whatever.
>>
>>63864309
w2c
>>
SUPPORT THE FREAKY DEAKY. HE DESERVES IT
>>
>>63867842
Just chiming in.

It's cool that you aren't as stoked on it as others, but it's pretty presumptuous to attribute to hype or people being plebs. When you challenged a dude who said he liked it or something you were just like "I bet you don't like their early stuff!" and that's so snobby and presumptuous.

I'd put Deak's EP pretty high on my AnCo ratings, especially if I limit it to EPs (probably on par w/ FBK, above everything else). That's just my hot opinion. Spirit is my 3rd favorite AnCo release and Danse is severely underrated. Just let people like things.
>>
>>63867925
That's fine if you guys like it. I just don't see it being worthy of "album of the year" status. At all. You guys are totally entitled to your opinion but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop voicing mine. It's a good album, but it's not the greatest anco release in the past 5 years everyone is acting like it is.

By the way, I never called anybody a pleb. I think that's fucking stupid lol.
>>
File: aC9EKSx.png (58 KB, 301x534) Image search: [Google]
aC9EKSx.png
58 KB, 301x534
WE FULL LENGTH ALBUM NOW?
>>
>>63868048
please

we need his potential realized
>>
so is that deakin singing on the second part of Transverse Temporal Gyrus?
>>
>>63868048
FUCK YES PLS

HE GOING FOR BACK2BACK AOTY
>>
>>63868065
>yfw he keeps making 10/10 albums
>>
>>63867235
that inflection he added to
>bouncing along every craaaaack
At the end of the second verse was great
>>
>>63868020
Just out of curiosity, what is your pick for aotysf?
>>
>>63868048
>sent him a lovely DM yesterday
>he hasn't responded yet
>mfw
>>
>>63868068
It depends on which part you're talking about. It was a sound collage project. There's an early version of Good House on there that's pretty nice.

One of my favorite tracks on that release is Avey Tare's "The Darkness". It's the one with the quick strummed guitar with a short delay, and I tink the lyrics are "What is your name? Crept up so nice. Not being afraid, ya eased in my mind"

https://youtu.be/b2fsZC4Mqgs?t=1m59s

This part. Fucking LOOOOOVE that song. The guitar mixed with the crazy atmospheric pitched down bird chirping and the really low pitch groaning and breathing along with his vocals is sooooo nice. Love it. I would really love to get some field recordings of the birds that hang out around my area because there are so many different types and it sounds so beautiful outside sometimes. Would love to put it in a track.
>>
>>63868144
I haven't heard enough to choose honestly.

Kendrick Lamar's Untitled Unmastered was pretty god damn good honestly. I really really like Painting With. The Life of Pablo has been growing on me a lot. But as I said I feel I haven't heard enough to make a true assessment.

I'd say Painting With but I know that's probably just my bias because Animal Collective is my favorite band. And while I understand a lot of people didn't like it, for me it's quickly become one of my top 3 favorite albums by them along with Campfire Songs and STGSTV. MPP is clearly up there somewhere too but it's really hard to decide my favorite anco albums sometimes.
>>
Can someone post an official Bandcamp download mp3? (not the "320" rip from earlier this week or the flac rip)

I don't fuck wit flac to be honest my family members
>>
>>63867521
>https://instaud.io/mwI

Keep working on it, man. Sounds cool. Don't think it's my thing but I know people will get something out of it.
>>
>>63868290
>>63862780
>>
>>63867720
it's because deakin actually came to our clubhouse instead of speaking at an arena like pitchfork.
>>
>>63868290
I just paid $12 for it, because I wanna support the guy. He certainly has potential and he deserves it if not for being a great addition to AnCo, for putting himself out there and finally releasing a solo record.

I appreciate a lot of what Deakin has done for Animal Collective, one of my favorites mainly being the bouncy guitar parts over the bridge of Gotham. UGHHHH SOOOOOOO GOOOD.
>>
>>63867783
Well you'll get shit for saying you're better than deakin.
>>
>>63868300
Well this is just one song out of many I am going to write. It's honestly not necessarily my thing entirely either. But, it fits the themes I am going for with that song specifically. I really like the way the melody and chord progression are coming along but as I said I have a long way to go.

Thanks for listening man and thanks for your honesty.
>>
>>63867619
>http://vocaroo.com/i/s0lYJ05elPSu

What am I listening to?
>>
>>63868374
I never said I was better than Deakin bro. I said the PRODUCTION isn't the best. That's all. And I'm coming to realize now I wasn't even hearing the legitimate version. People are passing around the 320 rip like it's that actual release. Just bought it for myself and gave the man double the asking price because he deserves it.
>>
>>63866202
avey focuses on lyrics/sampling
panda does synthesizers/vocals/sampling
deakin guitar/sampling
geo master of texutre/mastering/synthesizers/sampling
>>
GUYS THIS IS THE OFFICIAL BANDCAMP 320 RIP. USE THIS BUT PLEASE SUPPORT DEAK

https://mega.nz/#!2RgEjKIS!c0oh0qkS9wgtK9wkQcYRdWlSbKfKBUOtm-0yxqKvkkM
>>
>>63868419
>people are passing the 320 rip like it's that actual release
Well I mean Deak himself uploaded it so....
>>
>>63865219
>GEOLOGIST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwc6UyhZLbc

>>63865300
see above
>>
>>63868419
word. But what pissed people off, me included, was that you said you could make something like it. I thought you were talking about artistically on par with it. I'm now gathering you meant sonically like it. Which, duh, a lot of people could do that. It's the songwriting and the sounds chosen and the melodies that make it so great. It's so subtle, too. I think that's why people are responding to it so much better than PW. Don't get me wrong PW is my AOTY, pretty much locked in.
>>
>>63868587
There's a 320 rip going around that is literally the leak transcoded from shit quality which makes it sound super compressed and clipped.

The version on Deakin's bandcamp is the actual version. That's what I'm saying. I know Deakin uploaded it himself. The real Sleep Cycle zip is 78.4 MB not 124 MB. Someone has been passing the shitty transcode around as if its the real version.

I just decided to buy mine and it's a lot more clean. So, who knows, maybe there was a lot I was missing out on. Quality of the audio file tends to make a huge difference in AnCo releases. I'll probably find like 30 new things I didn't hear before lol.
>>
>>63868649
thanks for the insight. Going to buy that now.
>>
>>63868624
I'm a little offended you think I couldn't make something on par with this. That's not to say it's a terrible piece of music, you just don't know me man. Who's to say I couldn't? I've been producing for 10 years and playing music since I can remember. I've been told I'm pretty eloquent and people generally like the poetry I did write when I was writing it. I think I have a fighting chance at being an actual serious artist. It just took my grandfather passing for me to realize that and actually pursue it.

Anyway, I guess we won't know until I finish this album and share it somewhere and gets enough buzz to be posted here and appreciated, then I guess I'll be slightly impressed with myself. However, I know things won't go that way because I can't promote myself for shit. You can't just throw music out there and expect people to listen, you have to create an experience. And that's kind of what I was getting at with the whole "living meme into instant legendary status".

You have Deakin, one of the most enigmatic and elusive members of Animal Collective promising a solo album for years and years, he takes Kickstarter money and moves to Mali and then begins writing music. Some of these songs reflect his experience there, thus that resonates with his fans beause they were there through it all, at least what he shared with them. It becomes more than just an album, it's a life experience because you're now connecting with this artist solely through his music and the stories he is sharing through said music. It was immediately well received because of who he is as a person and because of the dank memes surrounding him for the last few years.

I am not saying that's the ONLY reason but I certainly think it helped. That's not to discount the songwriting, as I said, it's good. I think people are just jumping the gun on calling it album of the year. But hey, I immediately knew Painting With was going to be my album of the year when I heard that sample of Burglars.
>>
File: 1428112961027.gif (249 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1428112961027.gif
249 KB, 160x160
>>63862225
>pretty solid
>get to "FOOTY"

Good god.
>>
>>63868649
too bad half of the album is transcoded anyways. Bought the album, peeped the flacs. Shadow Mine, Seed Song and Good House are MP3s with multiple layers of dithering.

Deak kind of letting me down this this album honestly.
>>
How the fuck is Good House so fucking good that even it being 7min isn't enough?
>>
>>63868797
>I'm a little offended you think I couldn't make something on par with this.

you do you, man.
>>
>>63868877
>Deak kind of letting me down this this album honestly.
i'm glad i'm not the only one. i've sort of keep my mouth shut cause there's been a biunch of positive vibes and i don't wanna ruin it for anyone else, plus i don't really have the musical vocabulary required to make a well-written criticism. but i'm a little disappointed with sleep cycle, particularly with the vocals - they sound really flat to me, i dunno. then again i find that anco always have issues getting the same passion from their live vocals into the album mix - something just doesn't fully translate.

but i'm happy most people seem to be enjoying it.
>>
>>63868986
It's just the fact that I've heard Good House appear on 2 other AC releases already, Seed Song is barely a song at all, and Shadow Mine is boring even as a piece of musique concrete or whatever you want to call it. That coupled with the hasting mastering decisions, this EP (it even fails at being that really), just falls short of impressing me. Just Am and Footy are some of the more interesting tracks I've heard from the AC boys in years however, and that's why I'm conflicted.
>>
>>63868797
Same here man I do a one man band thing and could produce something up to par with this as its nothing too complex. That said I really enjoyed all tracks except the filler one. AnCo is good vibes all the way through.
>>
:(
>>
>>63866218
There are 3 camps on /tv/
Marvelfags who are paid by marvel to shill their movies and will overlook any flaw with "MUH POPULAR LMAO CHECK THE REVIEW DKEK"
DCucks who mostly post about how BvS was Capekino and 2deep4reviewers and plebs, and how Al-Fleki is the best batman ever
Then there's people who hate capeshit all together
>>
>>63869921
You forgot the 4th and most powerful camp: baneposters
>>
>>63870060
thats a big camp
>>
>>63867067
This is the correct answer. That fuckwit you replied to is just a pacifist. Deakin was the brains behind Strawberry Jam and the band began to decline as soon as he left. This cannot be ignored.
>>
>>63867333
Can you elaborate on these views?
>>
>>63867720
It's because this isn't garbage.
>>
>>63871045
UU
UU
>>
>>63868618
gj with the example, first thing I thought of. GOAT avey and geo track
>>
Did he record this with his phone or something? It doesnt sound good
>>
>>63865401
>Actually Avey made Baleen Sample based on a sample Geo had (which was not actually of baleen whales).
My whole life is a lie
>>
>>63872202
is this your first taste of something that isnt recorded with major studio equipment?
>>
>>63871101

>what is Centipede Hz
>>
File: image.png (166 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
166 KB, 640x1136
>>63868048
Yep, he's going to record more. LP when?
>>
>>63872607
deaky season confirmed
>>
>>63872607
He makes it sound like it's almost finished if not already recording. Maybe late this year or next year maybe?
>>
GOAT
>>
>>63871101
Lol you guus are kidding yourselves if you think deakin is the only good member of Animal Collective. He adds a lot of grea5 things, especially his guitar work on Animal Crack box and Feels and Campfire Songs. Even on Centipede Hz he did some really cool stuff. Just wosh hed have done more with guitar on this EP. Just Am and Golden chords are about the only songs I like for real. The rest are pretty underwhelming.

And stating my opiniom that gors against what everypne else is saying makes me a pacifist? No one is throwing punches here so I dont even know why you made the connection...lol.

Painting With is great, stop pretending its objectively shit. It does what it wanted to accomplish pretty damn well.
>>
Go
>>
>>63867288
I think it has about the same production aesthetic as Campfire Songs
>>
footy = slippi
>>
>>63864559
>Geologist
Got a kek out of me.
>>
I was honestly skeptical of this EP because of the insane amount of hype we had around here yesterday.

But so far, Golden Chords is amazing. This ain't too shabby.
>>
>>63867894
they're sold out but if you're really lucky you might find one on ebay, google the image and you'll find the clothing article
>>
>>63873410
Painting with is really average
>>
I just heard Gnip Gnop and House of Bairro, why the fuck did they remove those song from the album? They are easily better than half the shit there.
>>
>>63873410
>Painting With is great, stop pretending its objectively shit. It does what it wanted to accomplish pretty damn well.
I'm honestly curious what you think it set out to accomplish.

I don't hate it. I don't love it. It's just kinda meh to me, so I'm curious what makes you love it.
>>
Wasn't he supposed to release a full lp?

Im confused
>>
>>63874784
it is a full LP, its just not 55 minutes of bullshit like a lot of other people put out
>>
Day is fog
Can’t see past the edge of what’s gone but I’m hoping I’ll try And the rain shines
And the showers and the fawns in the field arrange in my eyes
So why fight?
With nature’s call around
You talk about frights
In the verse of the every song
You tell me what’s wrong
But what’s right?
You’re seeing creation

That crushing never ending change is so full of love
And so you’re waking to face the change in your role
And with each restless shiver you wretch from your soul
You’re asking
Is that something I’m not anymore?
A brother to shake these broken chords till they turn gold

And I tried
To survive without that gold
And wondering why
Our exchange can never hold
Am I what’s wrong?
Well what’s right?
Stop trusting in demons

You’re scattered ever lonely buddy but so full of love
Please stop repeating your terror you choose what you see
It’s always “what if?” and “why not?”
Man you gotta just be
Simplify, define your goals and watch them grow
Be your own true self the you that I know

Day is gone
As I peer past the edge of what’s lost I’m starting to cry
But the rain’s fine
And the tears feel warm and my body is humming alive
In time
You’ll revive what you thought dead
You’ve stopped your own climb
On the verge of every end
You tell me what’s wrong
But what’s right?

Stop believing your being’s been shattered and distorted cause brother you're so full of love
And so you’re hoping to make a change in your role
Repeating mantras to find some ground for your soul
Stop asking
Is that something I’m not anymore?
A brother to shake these broken chords till they turn gold
>>
Poll thread up for Spirit, PP and Sleep Cycle. Just about personal favorites though, no "best" album stuff. http://strawpoll.me/7304016
>>
>>63875237
I can't decide between Spirit and Sleep Cycle
>>
>>63875237
>>63875207

Forgot to include a link to the thread
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-07+at+09.51.56).jpg (49 KB, 345x334) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-07+at+09.51.56).jpg
49 KB, 345x334
>>63866320
>>
>>63872607
NEW WAVE WHEN?
>>
File: 1407270799269.jpg (2 MB, 1240x4138) Image search: [Google]
1407270799269.jpg
2 MB, 1240x4138
>the deak
>>
File: lol.jpg (12 KB, 290x174) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
12 KB, 290x174
>>63875565
Always gets a hearty chuckle
>>
>claimed he was going to make this free after April 8
>saw the positive critical acclaim, decided to make a paywall
>this is after being 5 years delayed for his full length album (not EP)

yea fuck u deakin
>>
>>63875721
>free
Where did he say that? He just said it would be available to stream
>>
>>63875737
he was posting on the collected animals board when the cassettes were being sent out. he said that he wanted to let the people with physical copies hear it first, and that he would definitely be posting it on itunes and other places soon after.
>>
***and specifically said for free
>>
>>63875775
>>63875760
I guess I'm not too mad. If people want it for free they can get it for free, but Deakin really delivered with this EP and I think he deserves some money out of this.
>>
>>63866211
It's not clipping at all, check your system.
>>
>>63868877
If you didn't look at the files you wouldn't have known. Sure it's not the best practice, but the mix sounds fine and serves the music quite well
>>
File: sad.jpg (10 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
sad.jpg
10 KB, 275x183
Post yfw rym doesn't have the ep tagged as Post-Freak Folk
>>
>>63875565
Why is geo on drums lmao
>>
>>63875760
So nowhere does he say free..
>>
>>63875565
The frame with just Geologist is so great.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjm9FllNipU
this is the only review about the album out right now
>>
All the people calling the instrumental songs filler make me kek.
>it has no vocals so it's boring and uninspired!!
are you guys twelve?
>>
>>63864559
Well said
>>
wait a fucking second, it wasn't a meme and he's actually good
what the everlasting fuck
>>
When The Geologist releases his solo album, what genre would it be? I'm thinking hardcore hip hop.
>>
>>63875565
this needs a part two covering pw and sleep cycle
>>
>>63875775
link? I've read all the posts on CA and I don't remember that at all.
>>
>>63879982
I'm here waiting with you
>>
>>63879956
Neo psychedelia, or possibly shoegaze? I have no idea.
>>
>>63879956
Post-Musique Concrete/ Post- Bleep/ Post- Harsh Wall Nise
>>
It's lit
Thread replies: 247
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.