[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Muse and Coldplay never sounded like Radiohead, yet people still
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: haha.jpg (62 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
haha.jpg
62 KB, 500x281
Muse and Coldplay never sounded like Radiohead, yet people still refer to them as "Radiohead cover bands" or something similar. Aside from having whiny vocalists I guess?
>>
Thats not true. Dude i was listening to "falling down" by Muse one time and i 100 percent thought it was a song from The Bends by Radiohead. You are crazy. Not so much in their later career, but early on the influence was apparent. Coldplay i dont see so much, thats just because coldplay cites radiohead as an influence.
>>
>>63854384
Musically they sound like Radiohead as well.
>>
>>63854384
Their singers look like variations of each other. Thats where I think all of this comes from.
>>
They try to though, don't they
>>
>>63854384
relevant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLrCGgA0bEY
>>
>>63854384
Listen to 42 by coldplay
Listen to unintended by muse
and then listen to the trickster by radiohead.

your welcome
>>
Muse's first album, Showbiz, sounds very akin to The Bends, and was produced by the same guy (John Leckie).

I've also always thought that Origin of Symmetry is like a much heavier, more bombastic version of OK Computer. But that might just be me.

Absolution onwards isn't really Radiohead-esque apart from the vocals occasionally.

In Coldplay's case, the first three albums are somewhat Bends-esque, in the sense that it carries on in that tradition of melodic, melancholic British rock. Viva la Vida reminded me of Radiohead in some parts, particularly the song "42".

I'm also sure I recall Thom Yorke/Jonny Greenwood saying that the emergence of a lot of bands that sounded like them in the late 90s heavily influenced the decision to throw a curveball with Kid A.
>>
>>63856368
I always think a lot of Radiohead b-sides sound like Muse for some reason. Maybe because they tended to throw their punkier/heavier tracks from the Bends/OKC sessions into b-side territory.
>>
Honestly? As someone who doesn't give a shit about Coldplay, loves Muse and likes but doesn't love any Radiohead? They sounded a fuckton alike back in the late 80s.

Although if you ask me that's all due to them sounding like the most generic 90s Alternative bands in the world at first. OK Computer -which oddly enough sounds way more Generic than The Bends- Showbiz and Parachutes are such generic records with so few distinctive qualities. Radiohead came first, sure, but they didn't invent that generic sound. Mid Pace, toothless angst ridden alt rock with an oh so emotional singer doing a horrible falsetto, those were a dime a dozen back then, the only reason these guys stand out now is because they made it out of that miasma.

Once they all carved an identity for themselves on Kid A, Absolution and AROBTTH and started producing their respective best works they stopped sounding alike completely.
>>
>>63854384
I hate to break this to you, but you are deaf.

Bellamy literally copped Thom Yorke. It goes beyond homage, he has mimicked his voice like a parrot. He is a fantastic singer who likely practiced his chops singing Radiohead in his bedroom, but the fact that he apes Thom's vocals is an undeniable fact. Musically, no... they don't really sound alike at all. But the vocals are enough to drive anyone who listens to Radiohead to laughter. Like I said, he's a truly gifted vocalist (maybe even technically stronger than Yorke), but it's verbatim, and to my ears is lacking some of the melancholy and beauty... Bellamy can be accused of over-singing, while Thom you just want more more more.

Coldplay are the opposite. The vocals aren't as similar (though the falsetto is a common thread), and Chris Martin abandoned that pretty quickly for a smokier, sultry type singing. But musically, they were Radiohead's little brother band when they started. It's a shame because a lot of the tracks on Parachutes are as strong as anything on The Bends, but they were a little too honest about their influence by the sounds of things. I personally prefer Coldplay's interpretation of early Radiohead than early Radiohead... but as soon as Thom and co. moved on to more ambitious things, the gap between these three bands became pretty darn clear.
>>
>>63856614
Bellamy's falsetto stopped singing like Yorke's in absolution, but I would agree they sounded like the same guy during Muse's first two albums. There was even a rumour Bellamy did vocal work in HTT for a few years.
>>
>>63856614
>>63856668
Matt Bellamy is a lying bastard when it comes to Radiohead.

There was an interview from VERY early on in the Showbiz era, where he stated that the two most important records of the 90s were Nevermind and The Bends. Ever since then, he's been denying again and again that he has ever even listened to Radiohead.

Chris Martin's a good guy though. He openly said that OK Computer "changed his life", and is very humble about his band's stature.
>>
>>63856782
Yeah, might be. Although it is glaringly obvious Bellamy couldn't give two shits about the Band Muse started out as. Even if Radiohead was an influence in their early stuff -which they might as well have been- they have very obviously renounced that sound by now. Nowadays they seem to be Queen with a smattering of prog.
>>
>>63856782
Nah he's said time and time again eh was tlaking about influence
He said that the band that made him shoot to be a rock band was RATM and someone who listens to RATM isn't exactly the kind of guy who loves radiohead
>>
>>63854384
Coldplay sounds closer to The Verve and Travis
Muse sounds morre like Porcupine Tree
>>
>>63856782
>has ever even listened to Radiohead.

you're lying. he never said this
>>
>>63856900
No, I like RATM but not radiohead
>>
>>63856782
You are the lying bastard, he's always talked about Radiohead being a big influence to his band.
>>
>>63854384
>Muse never sounded like Radiohead
OP you've heard Origin of Symmetry, right?
>>
>>63854384
Early coldplay sounds like bends era Radiohead, and AROBTTH is like OK Computer "Pop rock" (it's really good too)

Muse vocally sounds like Radiohead a ton

Both bands have experimented with electronic music too. Both unsuccessfully
>>
Coldplay used to sound a bit like The Bends at times, back when they were actually decent.
>>
>>63854384
Whiny white britcore.
>>
>>63854384
Muse is an eternal The Bends-era Radiohead. (Arguably parts of OK Computer too)
>>
>>63856900
>someone who listens to RATM isn't exactly the kind of guy who loves radiohead

I'd put both in my Top 10 bands desu
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.