[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else think Tim Hecker is really boring? I've listened
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: 56a7557202bfa.jpg (468 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
56a7557202bfa.jpg
468 KB, 800x800
Anyone else think Tim Hecker is really boring? I've listened to all of his albums multiple times and they never do anything for me. Unfortunately, pic related is no exception. This is strange for me, because the artists frequently mentioned as being "similar" (OPN, James Ferraro, Dean Blunt, etc.) are some of my favorite current musicians.

I should qualify this further. It's not that I find ambient music boring- it's my favorite genre and Brian Eno is my all-time favorite musician. What am I missing here? I like other stuff that to me has a similar sound (Fennesz, Sakamoto collabs, etc.), but whenever I throw on a Hecker album I feel like I'm constantly checking my watch, waiting for it to be over...
>>
>>63854053
Ferraro is nothing like all the other artists and even less like dean the talentless hack.
But yeah Tim Hecker stuff is really not that interesting to me too.It sounds way too simple and it goes for way too long without any point.
>>
>>63854727
ferraro and dean are pals and feed off each other
ferraro said skid row was inspired by the redeemer
and bbf by dj escrow is inspired by suki girlz and parts of skid row

Ferraro does take more risks and has a more raw sound. while dean takes a pop approach to his experimental music.

>>63854053
I don't think hecker is boring. Your ears probably expect more from his sounds since you like opn,dean,ferraro. they all make music that creates a certain vibe.

whereas hecker you need to be paying full attention to grasp what he's trying to do. Try listening too ravedeath in the dark
>>
>>63854868
I know that they are friends and all that but they sound nothing alike and dean's last album is surprisingly bad.
>>
>>63854925
no they don't sound nothing alike. but they're in the same vibe in their approach of making music. First people I think of when it comes to having no boundaries on genres and how to make a song.
>>
>>63855021
How do they have the same vibes?All I get from Dean's music is mediocrity and trying to do a lot of things but failing miserably at everything and then just claims that its not serious unlike Ferraro.
>>
>>63855161
I don't think you're reading what I wrote?
James ferraro are you on coke posting on 4chan again?
>>
>>63855215
No I just get really irriated when people compare james with dean because all dean does is sample(without sounding good of course) or makes this really shit repetitive beat and people suck his dick like is the second coming of jesus.
>>
>>63855342
nobody in this thread besides you compared ferraro to dean

get off the coke pls
>>
>>63855388
>same vibe in their approach of making music. First people I think of when it comes to having no boundaries on genres and how to make a song.
>no boundaries
They only boundaries Dean doesn't have is the quality control and his talentless.
>>
>>63854053
Listen to Ravedeath or Virgins in the dark and really loud.

If that doesn't do the job i feel sorry for you.
>>
start drinking at 2:30 pm and fall asleep to radio amor
that's what i did
>>
>>63854053
Ambient isn't for everyone. Sorry for your shit taste though
>>
>>63855584
First of all, OP said he likes ambient and second of all i wouldn't label Ravedeath/Mirages/Virgins/Love Streams/Harmony ambient music at all. In fact Imaginary Country and Haunt Me are his only ambient albums
>>
That's perfectly fine, everyone listens to music differently.

What I don't get is why the fuck would you force yourself to sit through his whole discography multiple times while knowing you don't like it? Just listen to music that you like.
>>
im opposite, everything except hecker bores me

send help (or recs)
>>
>>63855837
>OPN bores him
>>
>>63855950
yes he does
actually I like swans too but no one except hecker can scratch the itch
>>
>>63856112
>OPN bores him
>>
>>63854053
Radio Amor is my favorite :)

Maybe listen to Ben Frost, its like Tim Hecker-lite
>>
>>63855698
>he doesn't think Hecker makes ambient
>>
>>63854053
>Likes OPN
>Dislikes Tim Hecker

You serious bruh? OPN is a poor man's Tim Hecker anyway.

OPN:
>Boring ambient
>OH SHIT, AN ACTUALLY INTERESTING MUSICAL MOMENT. AM I GONNA EXPAND ON IT!?!?
>Naw, back to boring ambient

>>63854727
>Tim Hecker goes for way too long

I disagree. Other noise/done artists go on forever. Hecker at least tries to keep some accessibility in mind while making music.
>>
>>63856337
*drone
>>
>>63854727
>>63855542
>>63855584

>your ears probably expect more from his sounds since you like opn,dean,ferraro
>you need to be paying full attention to grasp what he's trying to do
>Listen to Ravedeath or Virgins in the dark and really loud
>Ambient isn't for everyone. Sorry for your shit taste though

Can we discard the assumption that I am not an attentive listener or that I don't appreciate the genre as a whole? My favorite ambient artists (Steve Roach, Harold Budd, Tetsu Inoue, Windy & Carl, Robert Rich, etc.) Make music that is more long-form and static than Hecker's 3-5 minute snippets. It's not an issue of attention span or wanting a more conventional song structure or something like that.

>>63856337

Based on your poor characterization of OPN I can't figure out which album you even listened to. R + 7? I wouldn't really even consider a lot of his stuff ambient, hence why "similar" was in quotes.

>You serious bruh? OPN is a poor man's Tim Hecker anyway.

OPN's discog is way more varied and creative, sorry. In fact, Hecker's last two albums seemed to me to be a subpar emulation of OPN.
>>
>>63856472
sorry didn't mean to insult you. is just when somebody describes an artist as boring I assume that
maybe hecker isn't just for you
>>
>>63856472
R + 7 and Garden of Delete. To be fair, those are the only ones I've listened to. But I still think Virgins and Hecker's last album both are miles better than OPN's last two albums.
>>
>>63856558

Nah, I guess if I had to put it into words- when I put on a great ambient album I love (e.g. Dreamtime Return, Substrata, Rainbow Dome Musick), I am quite literally transported by the rich atmosphere and emotive qualities that the music evokes. That's why ambient music is my most beloved genre. I don't get either of those with Hecker. It just comes off to me like run of the mill drone with elements of glitch and more melody consolidated into pop song lengths.

Normally I would just move on but people seem to rate him so highly I seem to be missing something? Some context? (e.g. how OPN appropriates traditionally 'cheesy' aesthetics to make the listener reevaluate them, or something like that) I legitimately want to understand the strong appeal. I'm not trying to bash him.

>>63856598

Fair enough, agree to disagree. R + 7 and GOD were my favorite albums of 2013 & 2015, respectively.
>>
>>63856766
I guess the appeal of Hecker is that he can do those things that your favorite artists do for you, but in a much smaller song structure. He has all of his songs in an album connect together, but doesn't make it so that you have to hear it all in one sitting since they connect but also come to a satisfying conclusion at the end of each song.

One of the most inaccessible aspects of ambient is the length of the pieces. Take that aspect away, and it becomes much more enjoyable to the average person.
>>
I love both OPN and Tim Hecker in their own regards. Hecker creates a very coherent and distinct soundscape that's unique to each album he does. OPN makes music more alien like, sort of like a collage of surprising ideas that work together in extraordinarily creative ways.
Listen to their collab album and pick apart who is doing what.. It's the best way to juxtapose their art without muddying it up by trying to pin it down with words
>>
>>63856472
It's not snippets at all though. Most of his albums flow together like one big song. Something tells me you haven't actually listened to any Hecker albums
>>
>>63857142

>Listen to their collab album and pick apart who is doing what.. It's the best way to juxtapose their art without muddying it up by trying to pin it down with words

Good idea, thanks for the advice.

>Something tells me you haven't actually listened to any Hecker albums

I have though (and this isn't including streaming services).
>>
>>63854053
Lol but this album is actually a change of pace for Hecker. And it's arguably the best since Ravedeath. You might like Haunt Me a bit more though since it's a bit more similar to Eno's work.
>>
>>63857311
>>63857386

Meant to quote.

>>63857389

I haven't listened to this one, I'll check it out. Thanks!
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.