[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"I've been on /mu/ for three weeks and this is what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5
File: faggot.jpg (66 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
66 KB, 300x300
>>
Unwound
My Bloody Valentine
Sonic Youth
CAN
>>
ive been on mu for 6 months look what thread i can post core
>>
>If it's posted on /mu/, it's automatically bad
>>
>>
>>63845523
I have been on /mu/ over a year and I still have no fucking idea which album this is because no one ever posts the fucking title. Not that I'd listen to it. I'd add it to the list of stuff to avoid.
>>
>>63845601
the 4 faggots go swimming
>>
>>63845523
Slint isn't only popular on /mu/
you all need to get on more
this record has been a staple in the diy/punk community for decades.
>>
>>63845601
>what is reverse image search?
>>
>>63845523
This album fucking sucks.
>>63845578
This one is never discussed around here.
>>
Pet sounds
>>
>>63845601
the retarded death of jeff buckley and other stories
>>
>>63845601
Its called Straight Outa White Suburban America
>>
>>63845601
Nirvana - Mellon Collie & The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
>>
The negative backlash on this album after it got voted /mu/'s favorite is hilarious. Maybe, and this is a fucking radical thought, it was voted as the favorite of the board because it's a pretty good album? Idk I'm probably just being silly
>>
>>63845622
I don't actually care what it is. I just find it funny that I can tell what so much music I have never listened to is just based on the cover because of how much it's posted here. Death Grips for instance. I may have listened to a 5 second clip once. Swans, No fucking clue what they even sound like but I know several of their albums by cover.

I just don't care enough about this shit to actually look into it.
>>
>>63845677
>Swans and Death Grips
you really aren't missing much
>>
>>63845677
if you arent here to discover new artists, why are you even here?
>>
>>63845677
Talk about judging books by their covers lol.
>>
>>63845775
>i don't even listen to the artists discussed so frequently on this board
>in fact i don't even discuss anything on this board
>>
>>63845751
I can't remember the others but it's stuff like the trout mask thing that is by captain beefheart, the new Kendrick album, several kanye albums. Tame Impala, Sufjan Stevens, Neutral Milk Hotel. I don't know. There are probably more. Never listened to any on purpose.
>>
>>63845601
Spider - Don Land and the Washing Lake: An Observation by THE GROUND.
>>
>>63845601

Slint - Spiderland
>>
>>63845601

King Crimson - In the River with the Cucks
>>
>>63845523
worst album i've ever heard
>>
File: 1456712005806.jpg (14 KB, 480x297) Image search: [Google]
1456712005806.jpg
14 KB, 480x297
>>63845817
I really hope you're baiting.

otherwise, shit dude the 3dgyness is sharp xddddDDDD
>>
>>63845601
Slant - Spiderman

The band members were big marvel fans
>>
>>63845775
>discover new artists
Hahaha, what the fuck are you discovering? An AnCo album from 2009? I'm here because I mainly post stuff about bands I like to see if anyone knows them/ wants to talk about them. No one ever wants to talk about music though. They just want to give you some shitty recs.
>>
>>63845817
The fuck? Why would you purposely decide to not listen to music because other people think they are good? Gotta be fucking bait, that's the most autistic thing I've heard in a while.
>>
>>63845880
So you know every band that is on here?
>>
>>63845880
of course there is a lot ive already heard but theres always the occasional new thing i havent
>>
>>63845866
Dude, why is that even edgy?

To ignore the shrieks of a mob of angry elitists seems like the best possible decision you can make regarding forming your own interests. I mean fuck, I still like Can, VU and most well respected experimental rock but forgive me for not caring about the flavor of the month nonsense /mu/ is talking about.

I mean really, Why the fuck do I know milo's face even though his rapping is pretentious shit viral marketed to suburban white kids? The best thing to do is ignore this place for the most part and hope someone with sense is still somewhere here and that you can somehow contact them.
>>
>>63845629
only discussed in the patrician threads
>>
>>63845880
>guys I swear I know awesome fringe music no one ever discusses on here
Get real autist
>>
>>63845955
>trout mask replica
>"flavor of the month nonsense"

alrighty pal
>>
>>63845523
So /mu/ core?
Yeah of course you're gonna pick up what's the most popular albums on here when you first come in.
>>
>>63845920
>Why would you purposely decide to not listen to music because other people think they are good?

My method of finding things involves me searching interviews with musicians I like and finding out what they were influenced by and then listening to that plus I occasionally just take listens to random things that fit very specific genre descriptions on various sites and have generally decent reviews
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-15-12-50-24_1.jpg (323 KB, 1076x1498) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-15-12-50-24_1.jpg
323 KB, 1076x1498
>>63845999
It's been a long month.
>>
>>63845601
lol
>>
>>63845955
You do realize if people in the underground music scene in the 60's had the Internet they'd be "shrieking" just as much about VU. So you're saying if you were born then you'd avoid what you admitted you enjoy yourself just because others enjoy it. Talk about autistic
>>
>>63845991
>guys I swear I know awesome fringe music no one ever discusses on here
It might be mentioned. I never claimed the stuff I listen to isn't but it isn't the 100+ references per day shit you see here I mean literally I can tell you without looking that easily more than half the bands I've mentioned will have covers in the catalog readily viewable.

>>63845999
I don't hate beefheart and he's on my list of shit to listen to but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
>>
>>63846059
>they'd be "shrieking" just as much about VU
Name any album released in the last ten years that you'd compare in quality and importance to White Light/White Heat.
>>
>>63845601
>I'd add it to the list of stuff to avoid.
Oh look It's one of those people who takes pride in forming their own unique tastes by disregarding albums other people like.
>>
>>63846144
you cant say an album is important right after it comes out thats just not how it works you need to look at an album years later to see how "important" it is
>>
>>63846144
That's not a fair comparison at all. The music scene in the 60s was completely different than now.

We have years of retrospect to look back and figure out how important the album was.
>>
>>63845839
This one made me laugh quite loudly.
>>
>>63846246
>>63846275
>you need to look at an album years later to see how "important" it is

Okay. So let us get this straight, you are saying you need historical perspective to determine importance and influence and I don't disagree with you. You absolutely do, but guess what, the people posting on /mu/ right now don't have that perspective. They share perspective with a mostly homogeneous group of people strongly influenced by pitchfork ratings and what is playing now among their internet friends.

If it was 1968 I seriously doubt that many people would be talking about VU. They are known now but that first album sold extremely poorly and WL/WH was far too experimental to get widespread play. By 68 VU and nico were known to a small group of creatives that frequented the new york underground scene. If there were a /mu/ in 68, they'd be talking about the Beatles and the Doors which is fine right? It's not terribly crafted music but also not exactly something doing anything I would consider interesting.

So that's what I'd say 80% of /mu/ is. Stuff people want to show off to their friends. I'll just wait for historical perspective to sort things and continue listening to the shit I like and post here for that 10-20% that could be potentially interesting music.
>>
>>63846426
i dont really think thats true either. i think that the internet is a great way to get experimental music out there. i don't think anyone would be talking about the importance of vu but i think it would be talked about a lot
>>
>>63845667
Enough of this crazy talk.
>>
>>63846482
>i think that the internet is a great way to get experimental music out there.
I never diagreed with that. I just don't think /mu/ is. /mu/ is a step ahead of facebook and reddit for music sharing and yeah they discuss good stuff sometimes.

btw, if I were to guess which albums are important (or rather to tell you which albums of the last 10 years I think are most interesting) I would say Drum's not Dead by Liars is pretty interesting.

I think what Health is doing by making Noise EDM is pretty interesting as well because I can't really think of anyone else trying to blend those aesthetics.

But these are just things I'm interested in. No need to pay attention.
>>
>>63846482
>i don't think anyone would be talking about the importance of vu but i think it would be talked about a lot
Oh, and no, I really don't think it would be talked about at all. I don't think anyone would hear it at all. It would be a really small band at the time that most people thought were weird if they even heard a song and then 10-15 years down the line known artists would be asked who they were influenced by and it would turn out that they were all influenced by this tiny band with a really small following which is exactly what happened with VU.
>>
>>63846631
okay im going to compare vu and death grips here but only because they are both experimental so here me out.
i feel like without /mu/ specifically death grips would only be listened to by a small group of people and i think that the same is true for the velvet underground.
i really hope no one takes this the wrong way
>>
>>63846631
You're delusional, they were endorsed by the most popular artist of the era. If they had the Internet as a resource they'd be covered immensely. Some of the most talked about albums of last year on /mu/ still haven't cracked like 100k streams. Clarence Clarity for example. Exmilitary was talked about here heavily in 2011 when the only people who would've picked up on the project would be people following Zach Hill from Hella, a very obscure noise rock group. Pitchfork didn't review them, Fantano had like 10k subs maybe at the time. Small ass bands can get decent exposure on this forum for sure.
>>
>>63846726
I think we're the only two people here and I'm not going to make fun of you.

I again, don't know much about death grips. It's possible they are doing interesting things but the problem with the theory is when you consider how /mu/ found out about them. My guess is that it was pitchfork, so I just doubt /mu/ is having any substantial input here. As for pitchfork, I would say this is likely a case of the broken clock that is right twice a day (assuming that death grips actually is good, which I cannot confirm and do not seek to).
>>
>>63846819
I again, have no idea what you are talking about. I imagine that these obscure people are more appropriate but I can't say.

VU really really was not at all well known. I think you may be overestimating how "popular" Andy Warhol was in 1967. He was known in a very closed group up until his attempted murder became national news in 68.
>>
>>63846824
but if mu was around i really think vu would be more popular at the time
>>
>>63846930
/mu/ simply isn't that influential, anon.
>>
>>63846930
meant to quote >>63846912
>>
This thread is one of the reasons why /mu/ is such a shit board.
>>
>>63846946
We're the main reason Death Grips is known. Not that they're huge or anything, but they obviously have a sizable following.
>>
>>63846969
Do you have evidence for that?
>>
>>63846969
it was anthony fantano not you
>>
>>63846968
I've almost all but quit this place. I might pop in for 10-20 minutes every day. I used to lurk here for hours on end. The community here is fucking horrible. I've almost been year two years now. I don't know how I managed. Discovered a lot of cool music though.
>>
>>63847005
>discovered a lot of cool music though

that's why i'm here. plus shitposting can get fun
>>
>>63847024
>shitposting
There's a difference between joking around and people who legitimately take this place so seriously when they make statements like "your favourite band is god fucking awful and they have no talent". You could say that about the majority of this board. Your favourite artists sucks, your favourite album sucks, your favourite guitarist is a hack. It's all just pathetic contrarian bullshit. It's not original either because I've been seeing it ever since I started coming here.
>>
>>63846999
Fantano had maybe like 10k subs at the time. Frankly I think Fantano and /mu/ kinda mutually grew audience with each other. Fantano finding out about them through /mu/ would've been about as likely as vice versa imo
>>
>>63845523

ive been on mu for years but just out of curiosity, never too heavily
then i discovered the share threads
i hate myself so much for actually downloading this album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slqGZKzz0KY
>>
After nearly 2 years here, all /mu/ has introduced me to that I've really liked have included
>Spiderland
>no wave era Swans
>Weezer
>a new appreciation for Devo and the Beatles
>a few albums I only sorta like
I've discovered more music that I actually enjoy outside of /mu/.
>>
>>63845523
>>63845543
But these are all great bands, I don't see the issue here
>>
>>63847757
try Ty Segal, you might enjoy his 2010 album "melted" if you enjoy Weezer
>>
>>63848586
I've actually heard of him, I heard his sort of stoner metal band Fuzz, which I liked. I haven't heard Melted though, I'll check it out.
>>
File: 1457955746693.jpg (127 KB, 1024x1293) Image search: [Google]
1457955746693.jpg
127 KB, 1024x1293
>>
montiecore
>>
>>63847051
>your favourite band is god fucking awful and they have no talent
I don't really care about those things, they're just memes.
>>
>>63848629
Agree despite liking F#A# desu
>>
>>63845601
The Quarry Boys Gone Aquatic
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.