[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come every tool can play a guitar but put a piano in front
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8
How come every tool can play a guitar but put a piano in front of them and they just bang on it. Same with drums?
>>
>>63842333
probably because they learnt how to play one but not the other.
>>
>>63842333
because they only learn the basics guitars, enough to impress girls and people who don't play guitar. Someone who knows how to play well could just somewhat translate frets into keys. Drums are a different story though
>>
>>63842400
basics of guitars*
>>
>>63842400
How are drums a different story? And you don't think playing a piano makes a girl wet?
>>
because mos ppl who "can play guitar" actually just know a handful of chrods and just play a chord progression. everyone can learn to play like this in no time and you won't ever forget it because all you have to keep in mind is the 3-4 chords you know and it doesn't matter in which order you play or how you strum them as long as they all are in the same key it's fine. piano is not really harder, i think it's a lot easier from a technical standpoint because it's more organized, requires less muscle memory and theory is easier to learn on it, but you cant really just play a chord progression on a piano with no other instruments and nothing else. with a guitar you can play the rythm part of a song and you're fine but on a piano you basicly have to either do both at the same time, lead and rythm, which is something most beginners probably can't or you need other instruments in the mix. the playing lead and rythm at the same time also means that you have to either remember a whole song including melodies and not just the chord progression and not just play random chords or be good at imrpvisation, which againe requires more indepth knowledge
>>
>>63842333
using my music knowledge from the guitar, I just stay away from the black keys and often fool people into thinking I can play the piano. Isn't banging on the drums exactly how I'm supposed to play them? But no I could never really do a snare roll.
>>
>>63842333
They learned the basics to get laid in high school and never progressed, obviously
>>
Most people can't play a harmonica either if you put it in front of them. Guitars are popular, affordable, hard to lose, easy to carry, etc, etc.
>>
>>63842844
But people who play any instrument can only know the basics or a certain song. The piano is something most men seem to not play. Is it bro culture?
>>
>>63842333
Isnt that cole from diiv?
>>
>>63842850
Banging on the drums like doing it mindlessly.
>>
>>63842806
Drums are different because they requiere coordination not only from your hands but from your entire body, also as guitar and piano are both chords instruments they are similar to each other. And pianos are expensive as shit, no one would casually buy a piano like they casually buy guitars
>>
File: 1458642496506.gif (4 MB, 384x216) Image search: [Google]
1458642496506.gif
4 MB, 384x216
>>63842984
You would be absolutely correct.
>>
>>63842991
WAKE ME UP
>>
>>63842333
I can only figure stuff out with my right hand on piano. My left hand is used to fretting and not rhythm.

I have no excuse for drums, I just suck.
>>
>>63842333
Welcome to Austin
>>
>>63843072
Austin doesn't have old losers like this. It's a more hip area.

I think the piano just requires more skill than the guitar. Anyone can pick up and guitar and strum it. Most of these guys learned guitar just to get laid and you can't drag a piano with you to school or outside beside a lake.

Maybe it's because I play piano already but picking up guitar was so easy. The only hard part was interchangeable rhythmic picking.
>>
>>63842333
I can amateurly play guitar and drums, but can shred on the piano. What does that mean?
>>
File: 1458621319921.gif (2 MB, 206x223) Image search: [Google]
1458621319921.gif
2 MB, 206x223
>>63842806
No. Girls think guys that play the keys are pussy boys. Become a fuck boi and play guitar.
>>
>>63842333
started on piano, then guitar, then drums (best at guitar though). AMA
>>
>>63843290
>only learning instruments to seek the validation of women for sex

genuinely one of the most pathetic things I have read on /mu/
>>
>>63844198
Bro.. My cover of Hey There Delilah fucking slays.
>>
because chords on guitar is easy for a beginner to pick up due to the relationship of the strings. Chords on a piano, even simple major chords can get a bit tough. Piano is obviously more simply laid out and still pretty easy for a beginner to pick up, but guitar is even easier.

Both are very hard to master
>>
>>63843017
Dude I hadn't played the drums ever but I played on my friends set the other day and playing a simple rhythm was easy as fuck. but maybe it's from all the years of air drumming realistically
>>
Well guitar is a lot simpler compared to a piano. The only hard thing about guitar is that it has a fuckton of nuances compared to piano and learning how to use all those little things is something not a lot of people can do. Piano is pretty straight forward at the start but once you start to progress up the skill level your co ordination between your left and your right hand has to been insanity, like each have a mind of their own. Playing simple tunes on either instrument is easy as fuck but once the skill increases each instrument opens up and shows you how special they are.
>>
>>63844456
dude playing fingerstyle guitar chet atkins style is no simple task coordination wise. sure, it's not lizst, but i don't think most piano players get there anyway

i think the bottom line is that all instruments are hard in their own way
>>
Maybe it's because I grew up in a densely asian area but I fucking swear I ALWAYS knew if there was a piano in a room because one of them would start playing something on it WAY to fast just to show off to the other asians.

That and violin.
>>
you can be just as incompetent at piano and to the same thing you see people do on guitar. You know how people learn those 3 chord songs? They google 3 chords and learn them. You can do the same thing on piano. Moreover, if a song's in c major or a minor you can just press random white keys and it'll sound good. And yes, piano can be used as a rhythm instrument. Just because the only way piano music is used in pop music is "atmospheric dramatic vibe" and the only other piano music you've heard as classical doesn't mean anything.

So why all the guitar douches? Guitars are cheap as hell compared to a piano and portable. It's not practical to buy a piano to learn 2 songs and pick up chocks, but a guitar will do fine.
>>
File: 1459634429030.jpg (313 KB, 1440x1400) Image search: [Google]
1459634429030.jpg
313 KB, 1440x1400
I can't play either. I got my first guitar when I was 16 an acoustic. I messed around a little bit with tabs and learned some guitars. Never got anywhere. Then I tired to learn the bass and never got anywhere. Then I tried my hand at the guitar again and never got anywhere. Then I tried to learn the piano on a keyboard but that never got anywhere. Why is music so hard?
>>
>>63842333
It's mainly due to the fact that the guitar has been seen as the iconic "badass" instrument for over half a century now, so most lazy idiots are attracted to it. When people think of guitar they think of players like Hendrix and Van Halen, so if you're able to "play" the guitar then you're cool by proxy. Never mind the fact that you only learned five pop songs that use beginner barre chords and a basic minor pentatonic lick for when people want to see you to "shred".
>>
Oddly enough I've always been much better on a Piano over a guitar and I've put 30 hours into learning guitar versus the random few times I've plated a piano. I have long fingers and type a lot and have a good ear for sound, but I'm bad at memorization of chords so that's most likely why.
>>
>>63845347
You just have to keep trying different instruments until you find the one that's right for you, but music shouldn't be something that you feel like you're forcing yourself to play. Find something you feel passionate about and give it a shot.
>>
File: 1459484053324.jpg (56 KB, 378x470) Image search: [Google]
1459484053324.jpg
56 KB, 378x470
>>63842333
Because to those who have never touched a guitar, playing simple 2-3 chords in the same key is amazing. When I got my acoustic at 15, I learned E major and C major chords and I kept playing them for a week straight. Then once I found scales and attempted them, I struggled.

It takes commitment to actually be good rather than just sounding good to others because they don't play an instrument.
>>
Not even shitposting but I play piano, guitar, trumpet, french horn, violin, upright bass, and the drums.

This is the most shit thread on /mu/ I've seen so far, because it actually looks like this is a serious post that isn't bait.

>why is it that people can play one instrument and not these two other instruments that are in no way related and require VERY different skill sets
>why do recreational musicians not know how to play more than one instrument they learned for fun and will most likely never apply
>>
>>63842333
nice digits
I can play all three but still don't get pussy
>>
>>63845347
The problem is that you kept jumping around without sticking to one instrument.
>>
>>63846033
nice digits
>>
>>63848233
nice digits
>>
Because if you put an instrent in front of me that I have zero experience with I can't play it.
>>
>>63844313
Playing a simple beat, and anything beyond that, is two very different things. Drums require a development of muscle memory to play them.
>>
>>63843290
Actually once they get past the teens, any instrument is a turn on. You'll learn when you get out of school. Recommend learning early, get good by the time they care.
>>
>>63842949
It's probably because not everyone can afford a piano in their home, or lessons, but you can pick up a $50 guitar at Wal-Mart for your dumbass kid who wants to play green day songs
>>
>>63845347
I bet you never practiced, would play for only short periods of time, and didn't learn anything beyond a few chords and some songs.

Instruments are easy, all you need to do is actually practice. Instruments are all about developing muscle memory to play things on cue. Sit there and practice a skill over and over, in a week you'll be able to do. Only thing that takes a bit longer is speed, that builds up slowly as you play more and more.
>>
>>63845968
It's funny huh? These threads are full of people who complain that music is too hard to learn, or it never clicked with them. Guarantee they've never sat down for longer than 20 minutes and practiced.

You know why Jimmi Hendrix was so good? Cause he practiced all day every day for years. Tom Morello, while at Harvard, would practice guitar and study at the same time for 8 hours straight each day off he had.

Practice makes perfect /mu/
>>
>>63849315
This desu
Basically anyone can play a basic rock beat, but the minute they extend beyond that it becomes a whole different level
>>
Not sure if the OP is just shit bait. Put anyone in front of an instrument they don't know how to play and they wont be very good. Maybe if you know the basics of music theory and can play an instrument you'd do better than someone with no background, but you'd still suck.

>>63849475
Strong this. Sure some may be more 'naturally gifted' than others but it all comes down to practice. Virtuosos on instruments are virtuosos because they dedicate a large amount of time to practicing their instrument. Like anything in life, you get out of it what you put in.
>>
>>63849368
tfw playing guitar since an 8 year old and pretty decent now at 20. Too bad I don't like performing in front of anyone.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.