[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
deftones
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5
File: ouRBo.jpg (86 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ouRBo.jpg
86 KB, 1920x1080
New shit rules
>>
>>63841602
Is there an actual 320 leak of the album instead of the shitty vinyl rip?
>>
this album is definitely a grower. PI is probably the most forgettable song on the record. Other than that, yeah it's pretty decent. Reminds me a lot of Down On The Upside. Not sure why though.

L(MIRL) is probably my favorite track so far. Hearts/Wires, Pyramids/Triangles, Doomed User, Phantom Bride are all pretty damn dope.

I hear theres a good copy up on the web somewhere. I'll settle for this one until friday comes around.
>>
>>63842751
Scene rip already out

Deftones-Gore-2016-UIH
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 638x419) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 638x419
>>63841602
>>63841602
Fuck yeah. Hearts/Wires is sick. I've only heard about half of the album so far, I'm planning on listening to the rest of the tracks on Friday while taking a walk in the park.
>>
Rubicon is dope. Opening riff reminds me of Deafheaven or something.
>>
File: 1459723541816.jpg (297 KB, 1222x917) Image search: [Google]
1459723541816.jpg
297 KB, 1222x917
Hearts/Wires is absolutely, 100% in my opinion one of the best pieces of music I have ever heard. That intro rising so subtle, then we come to the main groove comes with a mellow tone and out of nowhere we get heavy. The song is a roller coaster of music.
>>
There's actually a 320 leak, anyone care to share?
>>
>>63841602
Chino's son was in my high school graduating class and the dude was an asshole

that being said I have nothing to contribute to this thread

bye
>>
>>63845796
This. I know there's a "320" floating on soulseek but that's a fake shitty vinyl leak. Would be great if someone could upload a mega of it.

>>63845832
Give some stories.
>>
>>63845888
He didn't really want anyone knowing so I respect that, I only found out through a mutual friend.

But one of my girlfriend's best friends almost got sexually assualted by him which sucks. Plus he had the most obnoxious style of dress, like African shirts with ripped denim vests over them and patches everywhere.

He also gave himself a tattoo on his upper thigh with a sewing needle that said "death grips"
>>
I was hyped for this album and I almost preordered it, but I'm gonna wait until I can hear the full album. Koi No Yokan was ok, but I preordered it mostly fueled by hype, and if I had listened to it before then I probably wouldn't wan to buy it after all.
>>
>>63845958
when I say "knowing" I meant people knowing Chino was his dad. But yeah he would coerce girls into having sex with him and cheat on his girlfriends... basic scumbag stuff
>>
Fuck off with this meme Montie
>>
>>63845994

Believe me when I say it's good. Though it's not as heavy as some might expect. It's tough to pinpoint, I'm still trying to digest everything. Very textured album. The first single and the song Prayers/Triangles seems like them saying "hey look, we can write a cookie cutter Deftones song, but listen to this".
>>
Not going to listen to a shit quality version of the album but what I've heard sounds promising. I was kind of excited when I heard Steph wasn't initially a fan of the album. Which isn't to say he's a bad guitarist, he's written some brilliant stuff, but I'm not really a fan of the super down tuned chugging type riff he's been doing since Diamond Eyes.
>>
>>63846177
thats exactly what i wanted to hear.
can't wait for this
>>
>>63841602
agreed this is surprisingly good

I've passed up their records for many many years so this is actually my introduction to them
>>
>>63847321
The essential Deftones album is White Pony, be sure to listen to that.
>>
>>63847893
The essential over hyped album is White Pony. S/t, Koi No Yokan, and Diamond Eyes are all leagues ahead of White Pony.

>>63846559
Yeah there's like one or two outro spots where Steph goes, "You know what? Fuck yall. I'm going to open note chug by myself for a few bars." And that's really the most 'Stephen' this album gets.
>>
>>63847977
BLEH

No. Diamond Eyes is the only one that's even close, but the closest is of course Saturday Night Wrist. White Pony is unquestionably their best though. Around the Fur is also up there.
>>
>>63847977

Yeah the end to Phantom Bride seems like Steph was like "guitar solos? seriously? come on, watch this guys, 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0"
>>
>>63847977
Nobody seriously likes S/T album that much. Yuo can hear the Deftones talk about it and how it's their worst album. Really good interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFZbzO5MYJo
>>
>>63844158
Post link ffs
>>
>>63848059
No one in the band likes s/t. That shit is all around more interesting than White Pony. White Pony is the breakout album. The one that got them big and famous. That's the one your supposed to like.

It's the album that played while today's og's were young so it no longer can be judged as a work of art/music. But now is entangled with everyone else's personal histories.

It's fused with youth but no one looks at it with distance. And that's the big problem we all have with listening to music. What were we doing during that period? Were we young idealists having fun and getting fucked up?

Well, hey! The band in general were going through that same thing around white pony. Wow! We sure are alike.

Then it's marked with a stamp of approval and becomes the go to.

The OGs stop listening to new music because that's what happens to people. And the youngsters now mimic what the older people say.

That being said - White Pony was the turning point but not the greatest or most interesting album they've done.

Elite doesn't stand up to When Girls Telephone Boys or CMND/CNTL.

Knife Party or Korea ain't got shit on Kimdracula or Bloody Cape.

Change stands right alongside Entombed, Rosemary, Sextape, Beauty School, 976-Evil, and a whole lot of other songs, actually.

But it's that pesky ''Where was I when it was released?" Thing that gets in the way.
>>
>>63848214
Stop talking shit about White Pony. When it came out in 2000 I was too young to really enjoy music. I started listening to Deftones in the days of playlist.com where I had songs from all their albums that were released at the time on my playlist. Then when I started downloading full albums I downloaded and listened to all of their albums. I still concluded that White Pony is their greatest work, and lo and behold, so does everyone else. Maybe there's something to it, eh?
>>
>>63848302
Maybe you music type folks need some contrarians so you can accurately evaluate your opinions. A big portion of being into music is the social aspect and you're a fool if you don't think so. A lot of fell in love with music because the music was great and the friendships were greater.

We take that same mentality over to our 'favorites.' People like about their true feelings for social approval all the goddamn time. It's part of human nature. And you have to take that into account when you listen to new tunes.

White Pony was good. But the band refined and redefined their style a lot since then. They improved their sound.

But lets throw a flag in the ground that says ''never leave here'' and judge everything else against White Pony's perceived superiority.

If we did this with a clear head we'd see S/T as an all around better album. Same with Koi No Yokan and Diamond Eyes.
>>
>>63848337

Not him but I think SNW is their best and White Pony is definitely heavily influenced by the nostalgia factor.
>>
>>63848337
No, a band's creative output isn't always, and in fact very rarely, gets progressively better with each new release. Deftones' s/t isn't better than White Pony in most people's opinions, and your opinion doesn't carry more weight than a majority of people. Of course it's subjective, but in the realm of subjective opinion, going against the majority means you're "wrong".
>>
i thought it felt like their most adventurous album yet
3rd quarter hasn't really clicked yet but everything else feels like some of the best work they've done

can't wait for the official release
>>
Hope they go heavy on the next album, if there is a next album. I feel like it'd contrast with this one perfectly.
>>
>>63848647
just as long as it's not the same chugalug shit they did with diamond eyes and alot more like the gore title track then i'm game
>>
>>63848647
I hope they release Eros next.
>>
Gore > Phantom Bride > Rubicon that song sequence is amazing
>>
>>63848751
Three albums on, i forgot all about eros. Used to bump that shit quality version of Melanie all the goddamn time.
>>
>>63848784
You heard the one high quality song from Eros that Chino leaked, Smile? It'll be incredible if the full album is actually released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPN2XVPxRoY
>>
the only bad thing about the deftones is that they are a studio band. they suck ass live but the studio shit they produce is perfection
>>
>>63849242
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGcwc0ZIjGI

The problem is that Chino can only sing when he's standing still. With all the jumping around he does he usually sounds like hot garbage live.
>>
>>63847996
>Around the Fur is also up there

Around the Fur is my favourite because of nostalgia.
>>
>>63849461
Yeah, nostalgia is a factor honestly. I also think each song flows really well throughout the album. The worst thing about it though is the long silence between MX and the hidden track Damone. Damone is a great song though. It's just a great nu metal album.
>>
>>63849534
>It's just a great nu metal album.

it has a couple of numetal tracks but i would call it alternative metal lel
>>
>>63849670
Alternative metal is essentially nu metal without rapping.
>>
File: deft.gif (967 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
deft.gif
967 KB, 500x375
I don't browse this board but I came here right now to see if people talk about Deftones and bam! This thread right on first page. Thank you for being cool, guys.

I loved Prayers/Triangles and now Hearts/Wires is so fucking good, just a little short. Doomed User took a while to grow on me but now I "got" it.
>>
File: chino-moreno-deftones.jpg (330 KB, 1174x683) Image search: [Google]
chino-moreno-deftones.jpg
330 KB, 1174x683
Are you guys afraid Stephen might leave the band in the near future after his recent declarations?
>>
>>63849776

Doomed User actually feels kinda out of place in the record. It's the heaviest track and kinda stands out among all of the other songs in the album. Yeah, people talk about Deftones here and there. White Pony is actually a largely recognized album on this board, mostly. There are still some people who will call this band outright shit though. But that's the general trend of this board.
>>
>>63849833
Nah. S/t was all about their inner turmoil and it made a great record. That and his own side project.. not that great. But this shit's been going on for a decade plus.

Be dope if him and Jim Root teamed up though. Pretty sure that guy doesn't have any commitments after this next tour cycle.
>>
>>63849833

Steph wants this band to be like a pop version of Meshuggah too much. I actually am very tired of that shtick. Best stuff they did for me are songs like Riviere or Beware where it's all about atmosphere and maybe a short unexpected 20 second heavy riff somewhere in the middle/end.
>>
Gore's pretty nice, but I'm still holding out hope for another Palms record. That s/t fucking rips
>>
>>63849700

sounds about right for around the fur then.
>>
Pretty much nothing will ever bet Change. It is just to good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL4MGwlZuAc
>>
>>63849833
>Are you guys afraid Stephen might leave the band in the near future after his recent declarations?

what did he say?
>>
>>63849898
Pop version of Meshuggah exists and they have a man woman fronting them, and that's periphery
>>
It's fucking hilarious how often I see people saying Prayers/Triangles and Hearts/Wires don't sound like Deftones.

Where the fuck have these people been for the last 10 years?
>>
If you don't think that You've Seen The Butcher is GOAT Deftones you're wrong.

On first lisgen right now,holy fuck Gore and Phantom Bride are great, a lot of the rest is currently being a tad overrated. Not bad, but just watch those expectations.

Listening to a supposed V0 riff and have had some terrible fucking clipping on floor tom
>>
>>63849949
He hated playing guitar on this album. The band is going in a direction he does not like. Basically he's not a fan of the melodic Deftones we're getting. He said he is a 100% metalhead and the band is getting too melodic/experimental. Jesus, he must have hated playing on Entombed back in KNY.
>>
>>63849966

Yeah I mean, those songs are pretty basic.

>>63849953

He said he wanted to chug the open string a lot more and Chino didn't let him.
>>
>>63849975
I prefer Rocket Skates.
>>
>>63850007
I'll allow it, but I'm still grimacing at my screen because of you.
>>
>>63850000

ooops, wanted to quote >>63849949 not >>63849953
>>
>>63849984

guess he needs a side project to metal out on but keep getting his paycheck from deftones.
>>
>>63850000
>He said he wanted to chug the open string a lot more and Chino didn't let him.

lel. poor cunt.
>>
>>63849984
Entombed and Phantom Bride do the same thing.

Steph: Bros, i have to do it. I have to do it. I'm going to do it.

The band: Fine. You get one, bro. You get one.

Steph proceeds to chug for a half minute.

Still love the songs but i can get how non-metalheads would get tired of it. Loves me some deftones brand usage of an 8 string.

Millions of other bands out there right now that do the meshuggah rip off, deftones use it as a new paint brush.
>>
>>63850162
i meant rosemary...
>>
Pretty sad theres no Adam Sandler collab on this record desu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9zd3b-2vKM&nohtml5=False
>>
>>63850272
Hah, I remember this. I'd love to know the back story. I know that both Incubus and Deftones are on the Little Nicky soundtrack, but it's weird to see Adam Sandler play with them. Just as an aside those were my two favourite bands at around 15 and I'm pretty sure I had a heart attack the first time I saw this.
>>
there's a FLAC running the rounds boys
>>
Gore sounds pretty good. Glad they made up for the bland in one-dimensional DE and KNY, there was nothing to those albums imo, way too straightforward and no layers.

>>63848816
don't get your hopes up, that album is only 40% finished and the band is in no mindset to revisit those materials. still hope we'll get to hear more it though, those little sound snippets in 2008 sounded promising as shit

>>63849242
i somewhat agree, but what they lack in musical tightness, they make up for in atmosphere. just watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMRTH5lXAGU
god damn. too bad chino is off drugs now and lost that shoegazeness in his live performances, combined with his voice sounding thinner and thinner each year.

>>63849917
agreed. just hoping for a better production this time because it sounded so sharp at times that my ears bled
>>
Is that a woman being slaughtered at the end of Gore or is it Chino?
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.