[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unusual ways of playing instruments thread I guess
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
Hey /mu/.
I'm a guitar player and also a lazy asshole.
I've been thinking about learning cello and getting one just for fun, but I just noticed the tuning is different.
What happens if I tune a cello like a bass guitar to avoid learning from the start? Can the strings handle it?
>>
slap bass i think it's called is pretty weird, sounds pretty bad IMO. but some people dig it.
I know there this one bassist who uses it, sorta gimmicky but looks mental
>>
File: slap-bass-101-04-thumb.jpg (21 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
slap-bass-101-04-thumb.jpg
21 KB, 450x300
>>63838432
>Slap bass
>???
>>
>>63838479
yeah you just slap the string instead. creates a much more noticeable sound from what people say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33IuKu_53iI
>>
>>63838363

I'm not a cellist but I'm pretty sure the way it's tuned it's related to having a more comfortable placing of your fingers.

a cello is tuned in 5ths starting by the C string. If you tune it like a guitar it will probably be more difficult to play higher intervals like 6ths or 7ths. A cello also has no frets and it will take you years until you can make it sound "in tune", that's why violinists sound like shit even if they've been playing for years.

Also as you said, I'm not sure the strings could handle it and if they did, they wouldn't last as much, keep in mind that cello or violin strings are expensive as fuck.
>>
File: banjo-tuning[1].png (8 KB, 200x168) Image search: [Google]
banjo-tuning[1].png
8 KB, 200x168
>>63838579

Banjo tuning is close to the guitar, so you could try that.
>>
>>63838541
I know what slapping is, but I don't know what it has to do with a cello being tuned differently.

>>63838579
Well, like you said, cellos have no frets so I think it would be easier to play it if it was tuned like a bass/4 top strings on a guitar

>violinists sound like shit even if they've been playing for years
Kek

>cello or violin strings are expensive as fuck
I'mma throw some 8 string guitar strings on that mothafucka

No, really, if I ever do this, I hope they don't snap on me, since you don't really do bending on a cello. Also the tension on the neck worries me a little.
>>
that god tier part in sleep by gybe was with a guitar played with a screwdriver
>>
>>63838851
>god tier part
>Song is 10 minutes
>Doesn't specify the time
Nigga...
>>
>>63838907
Any of the ominous EEEEEEEEEEE stuff is screwdriver. Efrim uses it to play notes based on the chord progression, while Moya tremolo picks the same or slightly different notes. That's how they get that signature moaning sound like in the middle of Static.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jwJn4XvbLw
>>
I've gotten into playing my guitar with a cello bow, it's fun for open drone stuff but I find it hard to control the notes the way people like Jonsi do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWR-jJ3v1pk
>>
>>63838363
Hi, cellist and guitarist here.

desu I've never tried to tune my cello like a guitar. The strings could probably "handle" it, but it definitely wouldn't sound exactly like it's supposed to. Just spend some time learning to play cello; it pays off a whole fucking lot.

>>63838579
True shit. I bought a new set of strings this past January and it cost me 300 fucking dollars. They say to change them every six months, but fuck that shit.
>>
>>63839282
OP here.

THREE HUNDRED?! Fucking hell. I live in Mexico and thus, shit's always more expensive here than in the US. Guitar Strings (I use Ernie Balls, no cobalt or any of that, just the regular line) are less than $6.50 and I still refuse to change them once a month.

Also, like I was saying earlier, even if the strings didn't last too long, do you think the neck could handle the tension?
>>
>>63839596
Yeah, 300. This being said, I chose the strings that have tungsten and shit that is arguably not necessary for the price. But pretty much, the cheapest cello string you can find is probably going to be somewhere around $20.

Also, If you were changing a cello to guitar tuning (5ths to 4ths) it would be lowering tension, not raising it.That would be C, F, Bb, Eb.

If you wanted to raise the tension (which I don't reccomend) it would be F#, B, E, A

Raising the C to an F# would probably snap the string before anything happened to the neck.
>>
>>63840966
Oh, perhaps I got confused with the whole tuning thing. I'm not the brightest guy.

If it's down tuning I'm definitely going to try it once I save enough for a cello. What's a good electric cello brand and how much are they?
>>
>>63838725
I'm almost positive you can't put guitar strings on a cello
>>
>>63838363
>tuned differently
>tune it to guitar standard to avoid relearning

>literally doesn't know how to play in anything but standard

Just kys m8.
>>
File: hands_030.jpg (40 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
hands_030.jpg
40 KB, 600x400
Whatever the fuck this is.
>>
>>63842066
Th-that's not true. I also play in drop....
>>
>>63841048
No idea about electric cellos. I only have one regular cello.
>>
>>63841048
dont worry they're really cheap
>>
>>63842139
This is the easiest way to play F though. Is it really that unusual?
>>
>>63842139
thats an F for pussies who can't fret
>>
>>63842139
>being that old
>not being able to barre the first fret on an electric
>>
>>63838991
Moya had left the band by the time LYSF was recorded. That's Roger-Teller Craig
>>
>>63842139
easier to play it that way on the low frets
>>
File: Efrim.jpg (92 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
Efrim.jpg
92 KB, 480x320
>>63838991
I was at a GY!BE concert and the only person who said a single word was Efrim when they had finished Sleep and he accidentally hit it so it went really, really fucking high like hurt your ears high for a second he went "Sorry". Efrim is easily the most based musician on here.
>>
>>63843978
The reason why it was so loud is because you really need to boost and EQ the fuck out of your guitar in order to get a good sound out of the thing. The screwdriver alone is not loud enough to produce any sound from the guitar
>>
>>63838541
Jerry?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.