[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
State of Indie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Where do you think the indie scene is going?

I'm not too knowledgable in trends so I don't have many examples, but I do wonder what genres are going to be popular in the coming years.

Guitar driven rock popular in the early to mid 2000s like that of The Strokes is pretty much dead. Indie Folk was super popular from 2008-2011 or so and then it died out. Neo-psych is possibly dead after Painting With's mediocre reviews (Sleep Cycle though). The landscape is always changing.

So let's discuss the direction we see indie taking in the immediate future. What genres and styles do you feel are rising or are going to rise to popularity in the coming years?
>>
indie-rock will exist for a while longer but won't have any real cultural relevance again I don't think
for as long as there 20-something white kids that need an act to listen to which will finish playing before midnight, indie rock will exist;
but indie bands have accomplished everything there is left to accomplish apart from making racy pop bangers (eg The 1975)
once indie-rock starts being irrelevant I think the term 'indie' will begin to die out, because it's not that readily applied to independent R&B artists (for example) or any other rising, relevant independent artists
the term 'indie' is too closely related to 'indie rock'
>>
>>63832909
Indie rock has saturated itself out and become a boring cliche. People want to listen to actual rock music instead of soundtracks to clothing stores.
>>
>>63833078
I agree. These days it's hard to be super innovative with two guitars, a bass, and a drum kit.

>>63833029
I agree to an extent. I think the term "indie" will live on but indie rock as we know it is pretty much over.
>>
all music is dead

no one values it any more because its all free to steal through the internet
>>
>>63832909
Indie is trash now unless the band is alvvays
>>
To be clear everyone, I'm not saying INDIE ROCK. I'm saying INDIE MUSIC itself. Everyone is talking about how indie-rock is dead and no shit it is. I want to discuss overarching rise and falls of genres like we saw with indie-rock and indie-folk.

I don't care about your "indie-rock sucks" narrative because that's not the point of this post you autists.
>>
>>63833243
The music industry as it was years ago is dead as dicks at this point. Availability is the name of the game now and people in the industry don't seem to get that.
>>
>>63833142
>I agree. These days it's hard to be super innovative with two guitars, a bass, and a drum kit.
I wouldn't exactly say so.

It's just that playing boring spring reverb twee pop in standard tuning with effeminate lyrics doesn't have much staying power.
>>
>>63833709
True. Maybe a better choice of words would've been "It's not often we see a super innovative band" with two guitars bass etc
>>
>>63833752
I'm just sick of the buzzbands.

Give your promo to working musicians, not rich kids that come in on their parents money.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.