[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Grime isn't hip-hop, it's dance music!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Unknown-8.jpg (5 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
Unknown-8.jpg
5 KB, 299x168
>Grime isn't hip-hop, it's dance music!
>>
>>63825981
It has it's roots in garage music, so you could say that yeah
>>
File: 1458041076350.jpg (6 KB, 249x240) Image search: [Google]
1458041076350.jpg
6 KB, 249x240
>>63825981
>Grimes isn't mainstream pop, she's trying to be subversive!
>>
Grime is a genre of music that emerged in England in the early 2000s. It is primarily a development of UK garage, drum and bass and dancehall.
>>
>>63826002
>>63826079
But since then it has modernised and become very similar to rap music.

There are essentially 2 grimes now.

You've got the dance music that's linked to the UK dance scene, and then you've got the rap music which is more linked to hip-hop culture.
>>
If you take away the vocals it's still grime. And if you compare a grime track to an instrumental hip hop track the difference is quite vast. It's definitely more of a dance genre. As the other guy said, it's closer to garage. If you have any clubs near you that do grime/garage nights, I encourage you to go.
>>
>>63826098
Or you have 2 different genres.

1 is UK hip hop
The other is grime
>>
>>63826098
>You've got the dance music that's linked to the UK dance scene, and then you've got the rap music which is more linked to hip-hop culture.
Example of each of these?
>>
>>63826098
Nah the breakbeats are still very obvious in all forms of grime
>>
>>63826169
theres not really any breakbeats used in producing grime tracks desu, mostly just one shot drum samples.
>>
>>63826169
Well yeah the instrumentals are the same but the audiences are completely different.
>>
>>63826150
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgQ_FDuE_KQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWnMbZV66p4
>>
>>63826225
I should have said breakbeat influence, my bad

Still it's similar to breakbeat's unique style of punchy kicks and crispy snares

>>63826265
Agreed, but I wasn't talking about audiences lol

I sometimes wish we could go back to the UK that loved original pirate material by the streets though
>>
>>63826347
well it came directly out of 2-step garage as well as the breakbeat/garage tracks coming out at the time ie. 138 trek, so that's no real surprise.
>>
>>63826134
UK hip hop can involve any BPM. Grime is specifically 140 BPM. Tinie and that are UK hip hop, but most grime can't really be considered UK hip hop.
>>
>>63826375
Yeah true

I just hate when the synths/melodies in some modern grime overwhelm the drums, either that or the snares are too loud

some of the tracks on integrity are victims of this
>>
Is there any grime that's actually worthwhile besides Boy In Da Corner?

I can't think of any other genre that gets so much buzz yet no-one can rec a single interesting thing from it. Even trip-hop has like 3 or 4 albums that people care about
>>
>>63826569
its not an album based genre, desu. tales from the crypt is a good thing devlin put out thats really underrted imo, the tunnelvision mixtapes from wiley are good etc. but its mainly about singles, white labels, classic radio sets etc. check out some sidewinder radio shows. theres good stuff you just gotta look in the right places.
>>
>>63826569
Flowdan's Serious Business EP is p good.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.