[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /mu/. I want to get into bowie but he has too many fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: memewie.png (960 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
memewie.png
960 KB, 1000x1000
Hi /mu/. I want to get into bowie but he has too many fucking albums.

Give me his essential albums
>>
File: David Bowie.png (150 KB, 368x368) Image search: [Google]
David Bowie.png
150 KB, 368x368
I'd probably say Heroes, Low, Ledger & Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust. Diamond Dogs too, maybe.
>>
Hunky Dory
Ziggy Stardust
Diamond Dogs
Station to Station
Low
"Heroes"
Let's Dance
Blackstar
>>
File: latest.png (449 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
449 KB, 1280x1024
>>63803067
>>
>>63803067
http://www.substanceonly.net/music/d/bowie.html
>>
>>63803067
EverythingfromHunky to Scary except Pin Ups
>>
>>63803067
Ziggy Stardust is a must, start with that, listen to it right now. After that maybe check out Aladdin Sane, but I don't like it as much, I'd recommend going straight to Low and "Heroes" afterwards.
>>
>>63803067
Station to Station
Low
Heroes
Lodger
Scary Monsters
>>
Thanks for all the replies so far guys. Seems like everything before Let's Dance was at least good and worth listening to, besides his first couple albums and pin ups. What do you guys think about his more modern stuff? Are these albums worth listening to? Or should I skip them and listen to Blackstar (after, of course, I get through his pre 1983 discog).
>>
File: Capture.png (38 KB, 813x287) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
38 KB, 813x287
>>63803264
here's the picture, my bad.
>>
>>63803288
I think Heathen is quite good. Blackstar is a must obviously.
>>
Listen to the man who sold the world

Then listen to everything in order
>>
>>63803264
the only bowie stuff you should skip is his late eighties albums
>>
>>63803450
Everything? Even Tonight, Never Let Me Down, and Black Tie White Noise?
>>
>>63803123
>posting pic of TWD without mentioning Station To Station
>>
>>63803264
don;t skip space oddity
>>
>>63803550
That's actually the only bowie album I've heard, I wanted to hear the song after it was playing on /mu/ the day he died, so I searched it on youtube, and I just listened to the whole album instead. So then I downloaded most of bowie's discog and it's been sitting in my backlog since. It's a bit daunting desu, that's why I made this thread. But I guess my suspicions are correct, that the only albums I can really skip are his debut, pinups, tonight, never let me done, and black tie.
>>
>>63803615
pretty much
though i have a soft spot for the title track of BTWN
listen to hunky dory and ziggy first. to ease you in
>>
>>63803264
Don't skip Outside.
>>
>>63803493
I wasnt a bowie fan but thats what i did. I listened to it in order, one album a day. Then i listened to blackstar after a 1 day break. I do it with most artists, discography in order with an unbiased opinion going in. All i can say is bowie has a lot of forgettable songs, its clear which ones had the most work put into them
>>
Also, his albums are pretty much all regular album length (about 40 mins) so it won't take you that long to listen to his best albums.
>>
>>63803753
I did a very similar thing with Swans. Not 1 album a day, but one night I was feeling depressed and I listened to Filth, Cop, Greed, Holy Money, and Public Castration (oh boy that was intense) all together. Fuck I almost jumped out of the window, but it was great. I listened to those a few times over the next week and then I moved on to children of god up to great annhilator for a few weeks. Then Soundtracks for the Blind. That was fun. After a few days without any Swans only then I got into their post-reformation stuff.

>>63803789
That's true. I might just say fuck it and listen to everything then. It's not like I'm going to have to sit through some 1 hour+ drag (cough cough encore and relapse by eminem. absolute trash after 3 good albums and over a fucking hour long).
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.