[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can the soundtrack to a children's game be so good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7
File: GSOST.jpg (29 KB, 283x283) Image search: [Google]
GSOST.jpg
29 KB, 283x283
How can the soundtrack to a children's game be so good? As much as I stand by my opinion that 99% of soundtracks have no artistic value whatsoever this may be one of the 1%.
>>
File: tabouchegrosbeta.gif (92 KB, 294x404) Image search: [Google]
tabouchegrosbeta.gif
92 KB, 294x404
>>63793240

NOSTALGIA NOSTALGIA NOSTALGIA
NOSTALGIA
NOSTALGIA
NOSTALGIA

The association of feeling good while playing with what your senses are showing you. The human body is great isn't it ?
>>
>>63793785
I played most Pokemon games for the first time just recently. I never was much into videogames but the videogames art vs not art debate caught my interest in them.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XjouKSkSeM

It's so fucking good.
>>
>99% of soundtracks have no artistic value whatsoever
You mean video game soundtracks, right? A lot of television and film scores are good.
>>
>>63794820
Best song right fucking here

By the way

Gen II was the best Pokémon
>>
>>63794796
>I played most Pokemon games for the first time just recently.

Why, your parents didn't let you play them as a kid or... Not being rude or anything just genuinely curious.
>>
File: Silent Hill.jpg (158 KB, 807x800) Image search: [Google]
Silent Hill.jpg
158 KB, 807x800
This is the greatest video game soundtrack by the way.
>>
>>63794820
that chord progression that apparently only japanese people have discovered in that bridge part :100emoji:

tho tbqh i might steal it for myself some day :3
>>
>>63794972
/vp/ voted gen 3 and 5 as the best

Gen 1 and 6 as worst

How does this make you feel?
>>
who /miserablechildhood/ here?

i wish i could feel nostalgia for some halcyon good ol' days :((
>>
>>63795024
/vp/ has shit taste in pokemon, gen 5 is literally the worst
>>
>>63793240
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKMWMS7O50g

All pokemon soundtracks are great desu
>>
>>63795024
Not him but that certainly isn't surprising.

I like all of them.
>>
>>63795053
>gen 5 is literally the worst

Sorry bruv but BW2 are the best games in the series.

Diamond and Pearl are the worst.
>>
Not sure what you mean by 99%.
Surely you can't mean that out of every 99 games only 1 has a good musical score worthy of being called art, can you?
I'm 99% sure I can prove you wrong.
>>
>>63795024
Gen III is kind of enjoyable
I had lots of fun with Gen V, it's definetely underrated

Gen 1 I can understand why it could be so low, it has the worst and most frustrating combat of any gen because it was the first one
Gen 6 is OK, but there's nothing to do after you beat the game.

So I'm not mad that's what I'm tryna say
>>
>>63795053
Wrong, gen 5 is the only gen without a bad game

The trinity of amazing pokemon games are emerald, HG/SS, and B2/W2

Platinum is closely trailing behind
>>
>>63795088
No was just curious
>>
>>63795073
I disagree with BW2, but I agree that D&P were shit. They had great soundtracks, though. Seconded only by gen 2. Platinum is the best game
>>
>>63795130
Gen 4 has the worst soundtrack of the main games

I mute my music everytime I go to floroma town, the music grates my ears

Best ost are gen 3 and 5 with 2 being slightly held back by hardware
>>
Gen II >>>>> 1 > 5 > 6 > 3 > 4 (But only because I hated Diamond/Pearl so fucking much, HG/SS is the best Pokémon game)
>>
>>63795155
>Best ost are gen 3 and 5
>Gen 4 has the worst soundtrack of the main games

This guy knows what's up
>>
File: 1457076279088.jpg (21 KB, 645x456) Image search: [Google]
1457076279088.jpg
21 KB, 645x456
>>63795169
>gen 1 that high
>>
Does anyone else here like the Mystery Dungeon games at all? They had some cool songs as well.
>>
>>63795155
>best ost are gen 3 and 5
How? 5's ost is trash. Gen 4 had the coziest ost. I might be nostalgiafagging

>inb4 underage, gen 4 came out a decade ago
>>
>>63795200
i loved them until i didn't

they were a fun diversion from the main series but they turned out to be some of the most unfathomably frustrating pieces of shit by the end of it

perhaps i just wasn't very good at those games though
>>
>>63795200
I only played the GBA version, I remember it was fucking depressing and I don't even remember if I finished it, but I remember sometimes getting really bored with the dungeons that seemed to take forever to complete to the point I was just angry
>>
>>63795227
>gen 4 came out a decade ago
jesus fucking christ
>>
>>63794999
OP here, like I said, I didn't have any interest in videogames, not even as a kid. I only played sport and fighting games at my friends houses but nothing more.
>>
>>63795155
>>63795227
hang on I'm listening to Gen 5's ost now and it's pretty good.

I still don't agree about gen 4 being bad, though
>>
File: thou are tr.png (611 KB, 699x699) Image search: [Google]
thou are tr.png
611 KB, 699x699
>>63795259
Wait

For real? 10 years??? What the fuck... I remember seeing my cousin play it when it came out and it feels like fucking 1 year ago
>>
>>63795227
Tbh it's pretty subjective but gen 3 and 5 share a common strength in ost: great melodies

The instrumentation in gen 4 is good but the melodies are so bland. There are exeptions, I think gen 4 has great battle themes but those are far and few between (galactic leader, cynthia, etc)

This is even more evident when you compare d/p/pl to hg/ss which takes the good instrumentation but utilizes it for good melodies, you get a far better ost
>>
>>63795273
I see, so is Gold/Silver your favorite so far?
>>
>>63793240
>soundtracks have no artistic value whatsoever
>besides the one i like

ahahahaha, retard.
>>
>>63795080
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Prove me wrong if you want.
>>
File: t i m e.jpg (108 KB, 597x510) Image search: [Google]
t i m e.jpg
108 KB, 597x510
>>63795292
i feel like i didn't play it until 08
>>
>>63795309
I haven't played any of the newer ones (3Ds ones)
So I'd say G/S > Emerald > R/B > Platinum = B/W
>>
>>63795302
Gen 4 did have good battle themes, I remember liking they Dialga/Palkia theme. I'm listening to gen 5 now, and it's pretty good, so I rescind my critisism, and I already agreed about gen 3's ost, that one is really good.

I still favor gen 2, though
>>
>>63795010
jep it's really dank. i also like the transistor and mirrors edge ost's aswell as risk of rain
>>
>>63795313
I guess I can't if you've only played pokemon.
>>
Are the gen 6 ost's any good? I don't remember any of them except for the new magma/aqua leader theme and the legendary theme because they sent me on nostalgia trips
>>
>>63795346
I'll add on the music related side that I've enjoyed a bit of R/B's soundtrack, Emerald's was pretty memorable too but the trumpets are really annoying. Route 10 from B/W was a really good song.
>>63795372
I've played a lot of videogames, just that I've just recently played Pokemon.
>>
>>63795381
OR/AS has a god tier ost (shame the games are fucking shit and have less to do than emerald)

X/Y are ok. They have a few VERY good tracks like the mushroom town, but a lot of it is bland imo. I wouldn't outright call any track bad though, it's just underwhelming comming from the great stuff in gen 5
>>
>>63794999

Not OP, but I also recently did a pokemon run. I did not grew up with handhelds and my phone supports all kinds of emulators.

I suppose this can be the case for many people.
>>
>>63795053

I kinda like all the perks of gen V.
>>
File: a0994444672_10.jpg (97 KB, 825x826) Image search: [Google]
a0994444672_10.jpg
97 KB, 825x826
We posting video game OSTs? I've always been particularly fond of NeoTokyo's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhneFkcagTw
>>
Proof that the only good video game soundtrack is Super Mario 64's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDZzByhoZAA
>>
>>63795420
>>63795372
If you want to know, other soundtracks that stood out to me were Earthbound, Mother 3, Jet Set Radio, Grim Fandango, Majora's Mask (especially Last Day, what an amazing piece that is, I rarely feel moved by music but that one really feels like the world is ending), Silent Hill and some others I can't really remember out of the top of my head.
>>
>>63795097
I didn't get the love for HG/SS.

They are lacking a crapload of good pokemon which are rendered a bitch to get unless you trade or do some retarded safari game stuff which ruins any chance of trying to get "outstanding" or "relatively superior" pokemon to help with breeding for those of us who don't use rng or have outstanding dittos
>>
What are some good television ost's? An onvious choice is Twin Peaks, but one that I really like is Doctor Who's series 5 soundtrack. It's too long, but stripped down to some essential tracks, it's pretty good.

>>63795604
It's level curve was substantially fucked. Still one of my favourite's
>>
>>63795604
>actually catching pokemon

Fucking kek. Everyone just injects when they get in the post game
>>
>>63795695
Injecting is no fun
>>
>>63795718
Tbqh the only reason I don't raise legit pokemon is because IVs are cancer.
>>
>>63795504
I can name a few then, perhaps you're not playing the right games, or just have very refined tastes.

>Morrowind, oblivion, skyrim, Alice madness returns, Catherine, digimon world 4/ds/cyber sleuth and probably the whole franhise, Kingdom, gw2 , Death smiles, touhou, hotel dusk, blinx 1 and 2, delver

I can't list them all but the games with emphasis on atmosphere will usually have great soundtracks.
>>
>>63794820

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXKpIBgAXWU
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PbnT0x0e5I
so chill
>>
>>63795227
>5's ost is trash

Dude Driftveil is funky as fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc_0wfIuuzw
>>
Ekruteak had the best gen 2 music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MNAktk9ei8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ38pQAOzr8

The orchestration of it is godly but Ninty took the videos down recently so you'll have to find it on your own.
>>
>>63794820
That's a cool track.

Here's my fav, dive theme from Gen III:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVKWTHso8-s
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.